Port Aransas

Paco

6 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

I don’t mean to judge but …

Who the fuck brings tunasalet to a Texas beach in summer? Shoulda just gone for the hot piping bowl of mayonnaise.

I had it completely surrounded by blue ice packets in the middle of a case off beer, but yea.. stupid idea.

Btw the trip home this morning was an absolute clinic in mind over spincter.

I didn't shart even once, but I did leave behind another war crime in Goliad state park.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, dittohead said:

CCF70346-0FCA-4381-B304-CF7A99D4B479.jpeg

So y’all were the assholes we were hearing last night. You know it’s illegal and we basically haven’t had rain in 4 months right? (Yes I know it rained for like 5 minutes today) oh, we also don’t have a fire department, it’s volunteer. You should have walked over and poured your beer on those dudes.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just got back from my second trip down there this summer, a few observations:

Noticeably more crowded starting on Thursday evening.

Every place has a long wait, even the donut place in the morning.

The twice the ice places run out early. 

The Gaffer is still the tits. 

The Port Aransas Art Center was a great way to chill for an hour while waiting for a table. 

No rain, soft sand, pay attention when driving on the beach. 

Port Aransas is still a great little town, can’t wait to go back. 

• Like 1

Down here at for the 3rd time in the last two months,  getting the family place ready after 4 years. The Cinnamon Shore effect is real: more traffic, they sell gluten free shit at the IGA, and most restaurants are reservations recommended on the weekend especially. Venetian Hot Plate is awesome service and great food. Tortuga's is great, though prices rival a nice dinner out in any large Texas metro. The wine list is surprising, though I am typically a by the glass guy. They have Palmaz---the heart stent guy from Texas who took his doctor/invention money to Napa to make really good, expensive (to me, I'm no R.N.) and not easy to find wine. 

Went running on Thursday morning. At approx 7am, I turned down beach st towards the beach. Finally got to see one of thise coyotes I heard about. It was just chill trotting down the street. 

The line just for sign up at La Playa is unreal. But them cooking my fish made it worth it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 11:17 AM, justhookit said:

Bernie’s still has some time left on their lease. Not sure exactly when they will be moving. Shorty’s is moving at the end of November.

Well- that whole block is going to shit anyhow.  Might as well call it, Little Houston.  All the flavor of meh... is all that will be left in all likelihood.  The good news is at least I will get to notch a few nights there when we come down for October.  I am praying that my prediction of a return to more "normal" crowds during the week this year compared to the covid surge.  My assumption is the kids sports commitments will put a dent into the throngs.  

I was really sad when Giggity's closed.  As it was my get a decent meal late go to... The amberjack dip and their version of Chick Fil-a sandwich were awesome. But the ability to come in after fishing the beach until dark and cleaning a few fish.. was priceless... RIP.  Anyhow I plan on being in Port A every good weather weekday in October, and for sure OU weekend.

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

Well- that whole block is going to shit anyhow.  Might as well call it, Little Houston.  All the flavor of meh... is all that will be left in all likelihood.  The good news is at least I will get to notch a few nights there when we come down for October.  I am praying that my prediction of a return to more "normal" crowds during the week this year compared to the covid surge.  My assumption is the kids sports commitments will put a dent into the throngs.  

I was really sad when Giggity's closed.  As it was my get a decent meal late go to... The amberjack dip and their version of Chick Fil-a sandwich were awesome. But the ability to come in after fishing the beach until dark and cleaning a few fish.. was priceless... RIP.  Anyhow I plan on being in Port A every good weather weekday in October, and for sure OU weekend.

I should be back in Port A in October so let me know when you are there and we can go grab a beer at Shortys. Weekdays should still be fine, it’s the weekends in the off-season that are just brutal now and I don’t think that will ever get better. Summer is miserable 24/7.

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

I should be back in Port A in October so let me know when you are there and we can go grab a beer at Shortys. Weekdays should still be fine, it’s the weekends in the off-season that are just brutal now and I don’t think that will ever get better. Summer is miserable 24/7.

I may be able to get up there for a last hurrah at shortys in october.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

Absolutely.  Unless there is a hurricane I am gonna be there on and off from the end of September to the end of October.   Gotta catch up on fishing and watching sunrises.  I do think there is going to be a slight downturn (praying) this fall. As Fall traditionally was my "golden time" at the coast.  Water is still warm, fishing is good, still sunny but not as brutal, and all summer folks are back to their regular lives.   As I laughed to the bartender at Kody's before covid.  "I love the fall, all the tourists are gone, and there are only assholes like me!"

Tight lines, and lets for sure grab a beer this go round.  Guess this will be the last Pig Party at the original location.  

Basically October in Port A became a thing years ago when the kids were young.  Since I wasn't dragging the kids to OU, I was selling my tickets and that was a good chunk towards a 4 day weekend in October.  The fact the kids always had a school holiday the monday after the OU game sealed us heading to the coast, as I never had to worry about being able to see the game as it is a national broadcast.  Never surf fished before then either, but always have loved the beach.  Now I'm getting excited again.

I am curious to see how much the crowd drops off this weekend.

On 8/15/2022 at 4:20 PM, horn4life said:

Basically October in Port A became a thing years ago when the kids were young.  Since I wasn't dragging the kids to OU, I was selling my tickets and that was a good chunk towards a 4 day weekend in October.  The fact the kids always had a school holiday the monday after the OU game sealed us heading to the coast, as I never had to worry about being able to see the game as it is a national broadcast.  Never surf fished before then either, but always have loved the beach.  Now I'm getting excited again.

I'm exactly the opposite.  I ALWAYS take the kids to TX-OU.  They'd just about kill me if I didn't. 

The 2020 COVID year was the first time I didn't go to TX-OU in decades, and we went to Port A instead.  The weather was great and the kids had a fantastic time.

But in 2021, when I asked them if they wanted to go back to Port A, or hit TX-OU and the state fair, the vote was unanimous in favor of Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Heading down to Port A for Labor Day weekend.  I'm coming in early, then the wife and kids are headed down after school.  Looking for a low-key dinner recommendation for Friday night.  Seafood preferred but not required.  Suggestions?

My wife’s favorite place is Lisabellas in Cinnamon Shore. It was way less crazy than other places in town a few weeks ago. We were seeing almost 2 hour waits at a lot of places. We just bought some shrimp and snapper at Paul’s and grilled it at the house.

Irie’s and Venetian are really good. I don’t know if they do reservations but if they do I would look into that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LebongJames said:

My wife’s favorite place is Lisabellas in Cinnamon Shore. It was way less crazy than other places in town a few weeks ago. We were seeing almost 2 hour waits at a lot of places. We just bought some shrimp and snapper at Paul’s and grilled it at the house.

Irie’s and Venetian are really good. I don’t know if they do reservations but if they do I would look into that.

Venetian is definitely on the list.  Heard good things about Irie's as well.  My parents, sister and her kids may be joining as well.  That'll be the only night we eat out, so at least we won't be fighting holiday crowds at every meal.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2022 at 4:20 PM, horn4life said:

Well My assumption of the kids getting back in sports putting off season Port A back on a more normal footing seems to have been affirmed.  Had some friends go down, and the went to eat at Virginia's and only had to wait 30 minutes at 6:30 on a Saturday night.   I think that is a decent sign October might be the shit again.   (Pro tip... you can get on the wait list via yelp at Virginia's).  Shit I bet last year the wait was an hour and a half at Virginia's.  Good smoked tuna dip, and it seems they are better than a few years ago on the food side.  Only reason I know about the Yelp wait list is my talking to the waitress about assholes and walked tabs.  She marveled at the dumb asses that reserved on yelp to beat the line then walked the tab...

On 8/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, MissingInAction said:

Holy shit just realized that's ousux weekend.

You lucky bastard. National Longhorn Television broadcast.... warm water,  hopefully good weather, and a good fishing weekend looking at the tables and tides

On 8/18/2022 at 9:38 PM, justhookit said:

Cool we can grill and watch the game at my place.

IS shorty's Pig Party that Saturday as well?  I think it will be an 11 am kick.  Looks like a decent dawn bite, so hopefully the day starts good, and stays good!  I wonder if La Playa would rent the parking lot for a Longhorn Tailgate?  But where to piss...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the fact this hasn't popped back up must mean my, pre-covid dreams have been answered.  Port A, is now a non-(normal) tourist area for a brief and fleeting moment.  Looking forward to this weekend, and the next few good tides and good weather patterns the next month.  

And don't any of you other fuckers that are normally not in Port A in October, get any fucking ideas!!!

Headed down Thursday, cannot wait because it looks like the weather is going to be perfect.  How does the list at La Playa work?  Haven't been since before covid.  You just drive by in the morning and put your name on their list and wait for a call?

Edited by kevwun

53 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Headed down Thursday, cannot wait because it looks like the weather is going to be perfect.  How does the list at La Playa work?  Haven't been since before covid.  You just drive by in the morning and put your name on their list and wait for a call?

not sure what time they put it out but basically yes - swing by and put your name on the list.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, kevwun said:

you might call and ask what time they put the list out. I can't remember if it was 3, 3:30, or 4. I just remember when I showed five minutes before they put the list out, there were already four people waiting. That was summer, but I guess you never know.

• Hook 'Em 2

@kevwun Unless things have changed since I went in the spring the list gets put out around 4. But they don’t call you. You’ll need to show back up a little before they open at 5. As long as there aren’t a jillion people before you you’ll be seated pretty much right away.

Weekdays have been great lately , still a surprising number of tourist families, but weekends are crowded but not summertime bad. This weekend is going to be really, really busy on the island.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

@kevwun Unless things have changed since I went in the spring the list gets put out around 4. But they don’t call you. You’ll need to show back up a little before they open at 5. As long as there aren’t a jillion people before you you’ll be seated pretty much right away.

Weekdays have been great lately , still a surprising number of tourist families, but weekends are crowded but not summertime bad. This weekend is going to be really, really busy on the island.

Why's it going to be so busy this weekend?  Fishing Tourney?

The La Playa list comes out right about 4 pm.  Seems like they often just take it back inside after they get a list larger than capacity.  I tend to go either beef fajitas of a fish special, but they also have an off menu crab stuffed portobello mushroom app that is tasty.  They don't always have the shrooms.

One thing I discovered last time down was that I can get on the wait list at Virgina's online... Smoked tuna dip.  

18 hours ago, horn4life said:

Why's it going to be so busy this weekend?  Fishing Tourney?

The La Playa list comes out right about 4 pm.  Seems like they often just take it back inside after they get a list larger than capacity.  I tend to go either beef fajitas of a fish special, but they also have an off menu crab stuffed portobello mushroom app that is tasty.  They don't always have the shrooms.

One thing I discovered last time down was that I can get on the wait list at Virgina's online... Smoked tuna dip.  

First weekend of October is always busy and the weather is going to be perfect. Redfish have started running. Summer hotel rates are over.

Went to Venetian last night and the only time we could get a reservation was 5:30 and if you didn’t have a reservation you weren’t eating there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ahh... the October rate change... makes perfect sense.  That's why we used to go.  I haven't touched my fishing gear for a couple months (sadly, sadly) but I can almost hear the line sing and that pole cranked over as my fat ass sprints across the sand, as that PVC pole holder starts the move toward the surf.  See, Ya soon... and often in October!

Just got back so here's what I saw.  Beach is wider and scoured from the storm surge far beyond the normal Port Aransas groomed beached.   Wind was still up and the storm surge was still receding. But nice and flat with a 10 mph breeze this AM.  Seems to be back to more a traditional off season crowd but slightly more crowded than pre-covid from my observation.  Water was clear and the reds are in the surf, as had already likely been reported.  

I guess the best gauge of the crowd was that we got in about 4 and put our name on the La Playa list.  Missed our call, but still got seats on the porch, so the wait list did not fill the restaurant.  And it's so nice to have just a couple degrees scrubbed off in the evenings.

Anyhow going to boomerang back in a couple days.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, Hate said:

I’ll be down there next Thursday-Monday. I can’t wait!

I'll be your huckleberry. 

I'm rolling in Thursday afternoon with a couple of friends.

The women won't get there till Friday evening so we will be getting our drink on at shortys Thursday night.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 1