Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

16 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

That quote sums up the current republican mentality perfectly. If you are in dire straits it’s your own fault and you should be left to your own devices to figure it out 

A safety net is necessary. Argue about how extensive or limited to make it to take care of folks without disincentivizing their productivity, but to argue there shouldn’t be one is straight up evil

It's another step towards rationalizing cutting Social Security and Medicaid.   People should have had real retirement plans, not depending solely on the government safety net.  

14 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

do good things --> help people --> gain popularity --> get reelected.

republicans are obsessed with the last step but have no idea how to get there.

They just work the last two by spreading hate and fearmongering.  They are 6th grade bullies who beat up the smart kids in class that out think them at every turn.  

56 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Couldn't quite say thanks without a dig, but I'll take it.

Seriously?  99%?  I'd really like this guy to lay out a chart of her positions versus hers then.  Then see his arguments for disagreement.   Of course he's white, male with a goatee.    That guy's twitter feed is sad.   See 6th grade bully mentioned above.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

That quote sums up the current republican mentality perfectly. If you are in dire straits it’s your own fault and you should be left to your own devices to figure it out 

A safety net is necessary. Argue about how extensive or limited to make it to take care of folks without disincentivizing their productivity, but to argue there shouldn’t be one is straight up evil

Austerity psychology 101. Make life worse for lower and middle class rubes, while encouraging them to brag about who can fasten their belt the tightest.

AOC is doing a wonderful thing, while also following a very sound strategy for loosening the grip of Republican gaslighting. Outworking the Republicans in the biggest red state in the union is a really, really good look.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Couldn't quite say thanks without a dig, but I'll take it.

That shit always drives me crazy. "Hey, I think you're a fucking worthless politician and generally a piece of human garbage and I want you gone yesterday, but thank you for saving my entire family from inside that burning building."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That shit always drives me crazy. "Hey, I think you're a fucking worthless politician and generally a piece of human garbage and I want you gone yesterday, but thank you for saving my entire family from inside that burning building."

With a tinge of, "the contrast between how much I hate you and me offering you a couple words of gratitude lets me also bask in my own magnanimity."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ndawg said:

With a tinge of, "the contrast between how much I hate you and me offering you a couple words of gratitude lets me also bask in my own magnanimity."

Generally in life, you don't begin showing true appreciation with an insult. It's bizarre.

Hey Bob, I hate you. Thanks for buying me lunch though. 

Hold on a second. This is a microcosm of our political issues, when you say “I disagree with 99% of your platform and policy ideas...” and folks are throwing up their arms at what an insult that is. The fact people are not free to respectfully disagree or hold contrary beliefs and values is a problem. That one respectfully disagreeing statement has been interpreted by 4 of the next 10 posts as “a dig”, “an insult”, “I hate you” and “human garbage”.

I feel more or less the same about AoC; I don’t agree with her on much but I respect her abilities as a politician and what she does for her constituency and now also for those who aren’t. She’s a great representative and that’s important and healthy, even if you disagree with her.

We have a very real problem in this country of absolutism and “either you are with me or you are against me”, on both sides.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 6

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

on both sides bullshit

He could have avoided it entirely. All he should have said to her was

Thank you. 

If he'd kept his HSOs to himself and left it at thanks he might have been applauded. However, he had to tell her and everyone else that this is thanks under duress and in any other scenario he can't abide her.

So he and you are gonna get slammed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Texans are rightfully proud of the Texas Navy, which routinely heads to hurricane and other disaster sites all over the country.

I don't see why Texas "leaders" can't just stop at "thank you".  Everything comes with a gotcha.  I would scold the shit out of my kids if they acted like that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Texans are rightfully proud of the Texas Navy, which routinely heads to hurricane and other disaster sites all over the country.
I don't see why Texas "leaders" can't just stop at "thank you".  Everything comes with a gotcha.  I would scold the shit out of my kids if they acted like that.

Well, your kids probably aren’t malignant sociopaths...so they aren’t Republican material anyway.

53 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

He could have avoided it entirely. All he should have said to her was

Thank you. 

If he'd kept his HSOs to himself and left it at thanks he might have been applauded. However, he had to tell her and everyone else that this is thanks under duress and in any other scenario he can't abide her.

So he and you are gonna get slammed. 

I took it more as even though there is not much common ground in politics beliefs and political values and political ideals between AoC and a lot of folks in Texas, we can respect her as a person and human being. Being politically diametrically opposed is not a disqualifier to respect and appreciate someone, in other words.

It’s acknowledging that AoC as a politician might also have some “good sportsmanship” to her, which goes to show how savvy a politician she is. Whether she’s truly helping for goodness sake or whether it’s awesome politic’ing to rub Ted’s nose in it and show Texans how horrible Ted is (which is working flawlessly), she’s earned the win here. She’s a beast and she’s fun to watch politically.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I took it more as even though there is not much common ground in politics beliefs and political values and political ideals between AoC and a lot of folks in Texas, we can respect her as a person and human being. Being politically diametrically opposed is not a disqualifier to respect and appreciate someone, in other words.

It’s acknowledging that AoC as a politician might also have some “good sportsmanship” to her, which goes to show how savvy a politician she is. Whether she’s truly helping for goodness sake or whether it’s awesome politic’ing to rub Ted’s nose in it and show Texans how horrible Ted is (which is working flawlessly), she’s earned the win here. She’s a beast and she’s fun to watch politically.

If he respected her as a human being he would just say thank you. This isn’t hard.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I guess that's where our opinions differ. I genuinely think her intent and belief first is to help people. The optics the political brownie points, and rubbing Ted's nose is second. It maybe close. Even a razor thin margin, but she genuinely wants to help people. Not something many current national GOP politicians that love the spotlight can legitimately claim or show in their behaviors.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, YChang said:

I guess that's where our opinions differ. I genuinely think her intent and belief first is to help people. The optics the political brownie points, and rubbing Ted's nose is second. It maybe close. Even a razor thin margin, but she genuinely wants to help people. Not something many current national GOP politicians that love the spotlight can legitimately claim or show in their behaviors.

agree.  and btw, even if it was 100% to rub ted's face in shit, if the net result is helping people, then i'm all for it.

one could even argue that she's (unintentionally) lighting a fire under texas politicians and pushing them to be better and more helpful.  if they respond, then it's good for the state and texas citizens.  imagine that.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This is a microcosm of our political issues: when you say “I disagree with 99% of your platform and policy ideas...” . . . 

We have a very real problem in this country with absolutism and “either you are with me or you are against me.”

Fixed it for you. 

For someone to say "I disagree with 99% of AOC's positions" is plain stupidity and absolutist in form and function.  

Every accusation is an admission for trumpers, like you.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Hold on a second. This is a microcosm of our political issues, when you say “I disagree with 99% of your platform and policy ideas...” and folks are throwing up their arms at what an insult that is. The fact people are not free to respectfully disagree or hold contrary beliefs and values is a problem. That one respectfully disagreeing statement has been interpreted by 4 of the next 10 posts as “a dig”, “an insult”, “I hate you” and “human garbage”.

I feel more or less the same about AoC; I don’t agree with her on much but I respect her abilities as a politician and what she does for her constituency and now also for those who aren’t. She’s a great representative and that’s important and healthy, even if you disagree with her.

We have a very real problem in this country of absolutism and “either you are with me or you are against me”, on both sides.

Fuck off. Negged.

• Hook 'Em 3

But seriously, AOC went to summer camps outside San Marcos TX, from NYC, to create government coalitions in make believe fake government summer camps with people that have different beliefs and life experiences like a Leslie Knope clone. She can 100% barter with people and has a soft spot for Texas.

Ted Cruz can’t do that. I will start the go fund me to move her to south Austin and take Lloyd Doggett’s spots if I need to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

agree.  and btw, even if it was 100% to rub ted's face in shit, if the net result is helping people, then i'm all for it.

one could even argue that she's (unintentionally) lighting a fire under texas politicians and pushing them to be better and more helpful.  if they respond, then it's good for the state and texas citizens.  imagine that.

She absolutely cares. Her whole political career thus far proves that. Rubbing Ted's face in it is just gravy. And even though she probably enjoys dunking on Ted, its secondary.

When UT used to have a college football team and we beat OU, I was all about the UT win primarily, but I would still talk shit to Okies about it.  OU sucking was a secondary benefit. At least, back when events like that used to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

oh, and to add, let's offer up a 'comparable' analogy reversal and see how it fits.  who's the aoc of the right?  jim jordan?  matt gaetz?

this is basically like if there was a huge earthquake here in west hollywood and the whole area was a disaster.  imagine matt gaetz mobilizing his followers, rallying the troops, raising millions of dollars, then hopping a plane to lax, and getting boots on the ground, shoulder to shoulder with anyone who was willing to stand by his side, and actually doing the work and helping fellow americans in a blue state.

are you picturing this?  personally, i'm unable to.  and i have a wild imagination.

Is there a local RINO he can threaten to primary?

6 hours ago, YChang said:

I tend to agree with your opinion as well, I was just saying that no matter the reasoning, she’s played the politics of it so well that you can’t reasonably question her good faith here, if you were wont to do so.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

are you picturing this?  personally, i'm unable to.  and i have a wild imagination.

I can’t imagine this either within the confines of what you’d call a “reasonable expectation”.

I don’t have anything else more to add and I think it would just be distraction or misconstrued as usual, but I agree with y’all that AoC is rad and Texans across the state— including us who are not politically aligned with her beliefs or desires or vision for the country— should be a) thankful and b) done with Ted Cruz and ready to primary him to Bolivia. I also don’t see the big stink in that guy saying “hey we usually would be miles apart in policy and platform, but thanks. You didn’t have to help us, we’d probably not have helped you, and I’ll remember this.” And I’m not that guy and not dying on that hill, so I’ll leave it at that.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 5

8 hours ago, horngrad03 said:

There's a time and a place for political disagreement, and crtiticizing an individual 

So now we're gatekeeping when someone can have a political disagreement. This happens every time universal healthcare is brought up. Hey, we're in the middle of a pandemic & millions are losing their healthcare or going into medical bankruptcy. "Now is not the time!" Gmafb. 

• Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

I am pretty sure I could lick her more enthusiastically than that dog.

Uh, yeah, we know...and that animal in your avatar should have boiled water before drinking it.

Also, a lot of "conservatives" seem to have learned very little at religion school.

Thank You.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I can’t imagine this either within the confines of what you’d call a “reasonable expectation”.

I don’t have anything else more to add and I think it would just be distraction or misconstrued as usual, but I agree with y’all that AoC is rad and Texans across the state— including us who are not politically aligned with her beliefs or desires or vision for the country— should be a) thankful and b) done with Ted Cruz and ready to primary him to Bolivia. I also don’t see the big stink in that guy saying “hey we usually would be miles apart in policy and platform, but thanks. You didn’t have to help us, we’d probably not have helped you, and I’ll remember this.” And I’m not that guy and not dying on that hill, so I’ll leave it at that.

You can’t be the obtuse. The problem is he pretty much said “hey fuck you and everything you stand for but eh thanks! Appreciate it!”

• Like 1

You've posted a lot of posts like this. Look, I'm glad you're coming around, but we are gonna have to get down to brass tacks. My rep helps you, you say you like her but disagree with her politics. Ok, what do you disagree with?  You elected Cruz. He certainly didn't lift a fucking finger when Sandy hit my/AOC's district. In fact, he filibustered the Sandy relief bill. He did this with your approval. You voted for him again in 2018.  The fact that AOC is helping your state should wake you up. But apparently it still isn't. I already hate the next guy you are gonna vote for more than Cruz because he is still going to try to fuck people in need during a natural disaster.  I really don't give a fuck what his name ends up being. He will be Cruz 2.0.  And since I can't control your shittiness, I'm probably gonna need to support someone less idealistic than AOC in her next primary. Someone that still wants to help people, but wants to keep it in blue states only. Your politicians have punished us. We simply can't keep turning the other cheek. I want Biden to kill all red state infrastructure projects just as Trump did to blue states as well. But only until red state voters start giving a shit about America again. Then we will happily bail you out like we always have. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

You can’t be the obtuse. The problem is he pretty much said “hey fuck you and everything you stand for but eh thanks! Appreciate it!”

Is this some famous guy with a history of tweets and context and background that I'm unaware of?

If not, it's fascinating how you can read that and get the above (e.g. F YOU!) and I can read that and get interpret it as "hey we usually would be miles apart in policy and platform, but thanks. You didn’t have to help us, we’d probably not have helped you, and I’ll remember this.

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Is this some famous guy with a history of tweets and context and background that I'm unaware of?

If not, it's fascinating how you can read that and get the above (e.g. F YOU!) and I can read that and get interpret it as "hey we usually would be miles apart in policy and platform, but thanks. You didn’t have to help us, we’d probably not have helped you, and I’ll remember this.

No I don’t know who the dude is. I don’t care. It’s not so much about him, but people like him that spew that bull shit. Go back to school 

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

who's the aoc of the right?  jim jordan?  matt gaetz?

The absolutist right don't want no politician. They want a King divvying up the Kingdom to Princes like them.

Alternative reality over there. Jim and Matt are RINO Betas to them. Freudian concepts in action on a mass scale.  They can't take the Center.  And the grifters descended upon them like locusts. And they just look at the panda . . . 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

“We’d probably not have helped you.”

You support people for whom that would be a true statement.

Let’s just let that sit there for a moment.

Nothing you’ve posted here damns you more than that statement right there.

Are you agreeing with my interpretation of the tweet, then? Are we in agreement on what the likely reality is; are we sharing a reality in this instance?

I ask because it's okay for that to be a true statement in that I think it reflects the current situation (instead of getting lost in all the "should be's" and "In my perfect world it looks like XYZ"). For all the political chicanery Flyin' Ted engaged in with Trump, it was easy (maybe not to you, but if you would have been so inclined) to right it off as politics and getting butt whooped by a populist cult of personality, and hey, them's the breaks in this insane game called high-powered D.C. politics. To have him fail in this circumstance and in this way was not something I expected.

And look, I don't know if things are ever going to change because I do believe there is a fundamental, elemental, deep and maybe even eternal difference in a political ideals between a group of folks in rural Texas and red areas everywhere that seem to be too wide, but if there is a chance to win over hearts and minds-- or at least get them/us to drop their defenses and shields and think for themselves-- I think this is how you do it.

And ultimately I don't think it matters because I think those who would oppose AoC on fundamental issues but come around to respecting her game, I think we are a dying breed (e.g. evangelicals, aggies, staunch pro-lifers, etc.) and the changing demographics and culture of the USA is going to wash over us like a crashing North Shore wave. I'm a bit of a doomsdayer after your own heart in that way, I guess, while you for some reason believe that Texas is not on the path to turning purple and/or blue and it's stalled and is a lost cause so you might have to move for relief.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

The absolutist right don't want no politician. They want a King divvying up the Kingdom to Princes like them.

it was a trick question. the right doesn’t have an aoc. that’s what makes them the right. 

literally nobody on that side would’ve done this. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3