Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

16 hours ago, Incredulity said:

It’s handing a shitty server a crisp hundred after they flip out over a 20 % tip.

Translated most simply.  “Go fuck yourself”

This is quite telling in some almost certainly unintended ways.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

While true to an extent, we both know that she wouldn't be getting anywhere near the harassment if her name was Mike Smith.

She wouldn’t get near as much adulation either

ETA social media adulation. 

Edited by Sawbonz

15 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

She wouldn’t get near as much adulation either

Fair. Though it's not exactly rocket science why a young, attractive, woman who seems truly passionate about politics and helping others--whether you agree with her ideology or not--is popular among a voting base that's getting younger and tiring of the same old, crusty, rich white dudes deciding how to run a country.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Raised from obscure Houston Congresswoman (I'm a Texan, and I didn't know her name) to national punching bag. Coincidentally, an easy target. Let's make her the face of the Dem party! l

You think the right’s issue with SJL is race? She’s a very outspoken opponent of anything firearm (more strict that Feinstein’s bills iirc), and a huge proponent of reparations.   

*Im speaking in regards to her Texas constituents, not whatever bullshit Rush had against her. 

You think the right’s issue with SJL is race? She’s a very outspoken opponent of anything firearm (more strict that Feinstein’s bills iirc), and a huge proponent of reparations.   

*Im speaking in regards to her Texas constituents, not whatever bullshit Rush had against her. 

Serious question, do you know how the House works? You know she doesn’t represent the state of Texas, correct?

She represents a majority minority, overwhelmingly Democratic district with a very large black population. I’m not sure where the disconnect with her constituents is supposed to be there.

37 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Nathan Fillion GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Nice try. The topic was the national right's habit of picking of women and women of color to try to whup up on as the face of the Dem party. They picked SJL well. They hated HRC exquisitely.

When you say "the right's issue," who are you talking about? Are you suggesting that "the right" lifted her from obscurity for policy reasons? She's the only person they could find to whine about regarding their alleged right to have a basement full of assault weapons?

Get serious. 

Fuck you, too. Try harder to rationalize. What works with your friends doesn't work so well in the world.

I'm done with this shit.

Edited by RomaVicta

Just now, RomaVicta said:

Fuck you, too. Try harder to rationalize.

Whatever cunt. Little ol me lives in Texas but never heard of the most outspoken Congress critter in the state until mean Rush played some music whaaa. Go fuck yourself, and fuck that race baiting bitch, too. 

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

They hated HRC exquisitely

The only National figure with a higher unfavorable rating than HRC in 2016 was Donald Trump (TBH they traded spots at the top regularly) I’d leave her out of your argument

Edited by Sawbonz

AOC is more what America 2050 will look and think like than anything Conservatives have to offer. It is perfectly natural that they are threatened by that fact. It's also humorous and pathetic, but that is a whole different subject, and we don't have a psychology board to analyze that pathology on.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

AOC is more what America 2050 will look and think like than anything Conservatives have to offer. It is perfectly natural that they are threatened by that fact. 

This is spot on.  Mounting right wing hysteria is largely rooted in the eventual loss of the racial majority.  We've known this for decades -- the trend is not hard to spot.

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

The only National figure with a higher unfavorable rating than HRC in 2016 was Donald Trump (TBH they traded spots at the top regularly) I’d leave her out of your argument

It's not about that. It's about the right calling her a murdering, heterosexual adultress, and homosexual profligate and sitting on their hands when she accused of trading in and eating babies. She's a perfect example of my argument. One of many.

People can find legit reasons to dislike or not vote for anybody. The above are apart from that but clearly part of the right's (oh boy! I get to say it just like they do except it's real!) agenda to operate outside of rational discussion. 

Hate. Engine. For. Idiot. World.

ps Thanks for responding to my post. I have no intention of lumping you in with the crew I'm hating on.

Edited by RomaVicta

Just now, RomaVicta said:

It's not about that. It's about the right calling her a murdering, heterosexual adultress, and homosexual profligate and sitting on their hands when she accused of trading in and eating babies. She's a perfect example of my argument. One of many.

People can find legit reasons to dislike or not vote for anybody. The above are apart from that but clearly part of the right's (oh boy! I get to say it just like they do except it's real!) agenda to operate outside of rational discussion. 

Hate. Engine. For. Idiot. World.

Dude you are letting loons make you loony. Maybe disengage for a bit

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Whatever cunt. Little ol me lives in Texas but never heard of the most outspoken Congress critter in the state until mean Rush played some music whaaa. Go fuck yourself, and fuck that race baiting bitch, too. 

Surrender accepted.

SJL district #'s
Population (2019) 827,015[2]
Median household
income
$48,625[3]
Ethnicity
lossless-page1-1920px-Texas_US_Congressional_District_18_(since_2013).tif.png

she's my rep. zero issues with her, she's a rolling ball of butcher knives when it comes to keeping office. she carried 73% in the last election 

She is a piss poor rep. I was really upset to not be gerrymandered into her district. I'd relish voting against her. She never met a camera she didn't like and treats her staff like shit while talking about how North and South Vietnam are fine or how we landed on Mars.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

SJL is fucking awful. A lot of Houston Surly live/work in her district.

I live in her district so I’m familiar. I’d vote for a qualified primary challenger based simply on the fact that she’s been in congress for eleventy billion years and that’s long enough for my taste. But the assertion was that her views are out of line with her Texas constituents. The ones who consistently vote for her at a 70+ percent clip. Which is an obviously false statement to try to justify the manufactured outrage.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, she is basically protected. The national party refuses to primary her no matter how idiotic or ineffectual she is as a rep.

New York resident complaining about a Houston Rep that carries the district at a 70+% clip.  You may want to sit this one out.

She lived 4 blocks from SJL’s district for 5-10 years. I lived next to SJL’s for going on 20 years now. I mean literal blocks away. I can walk to her houston office, which I’ve literally NEVER SEEN OPEN in my entire adult life, in about 20 minutes. I feel pretty, Prettaaaaay well qualified to talk about SJL as an informed Houstonian, and Penelope does as well. So you can pound sound with that comment. She may carry 70% clip, but so does Louie Gohmert. Do you want to sit here and talk about what an effective representative he is, and how he isn’t a piece of shit? 

there have been reams of articles over decades talking about what a POS Lee is, and having seen her grandstanding with the mayor of galveston when Ike rolled in because there was a camera present, I buy all of it. 

Louie Gohmert’s views are in line with his constituents and is therefore an effective rep in that sense, because he represents an absolute fucking backwater.
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Louie Gohmert’s views are in line with his constituents and is therefore an effective rep in that sense, because he represents an absolute fucking backwater.

Yes. But he also doesn’t actually do anything to HELP his reps. Much like SJL, who wins because she is an institution in a heavily drawn D district. Period. You’re too smart to not understand that being re-elected for being drawn into a district isn’t proof of being a particularly effective Rep, which is all anyone here has really espoused. This isn’t a hard concept. She fucking sucks. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

AOC is more what America 2050 will look and think like than anything Conservatives have to offer. It is perfectly natural that they are threatened by that fact. It's also humorous and pathetic, but that is a whole different subject, and we don't have a psychology board to analyze that pathology on.

You articulated what many of us think and believe so thank you for that. Anytime a complete overhaul of society happens you find that the people that are the most visible in that effort will have the most vitriol directed at them not only by the people resistant to the change, but also by the people who are supposed to be your allies. Congresswoman Cortez and many others see a vision of the country that will become reality. She just has to bide her time until more representatives who are allied with her view of where America is going get elected into Congress and the Senate. I am glad she is steadfast in not changing her views. She knows what direction we are going in as a country and she is putting in the groundwork to make it happen whether the older generations get onboard with it or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

You articulated what many of us think and believe so thank you for that. Anytime a complete overhaul of society happens you find that the people that are the most visible in that effort will have the most vitriol directed at them not only by the people resistant to the change, but also by the people who are supposed to be your allies. Congresswoman Cortez and many others see a vision of the country that will become reality. She just has to bide her time until more representatives who are allied with her view of where America is going get elected into Congress and the Senate. I am glad she is steadfast in not changing her views. She knows what direction we are going in as a country and she is putting in the groundwork to make it happen whether the older generations get onboard with it or not. 

Rachel Carson's work  was vilified by the male dominated corporate power structure but her legacy lives on to this day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

SJL is fucking awful. A lot of Houston Surly live/work in her district.

As I respect your intelligence, I'm assuming that you know her capability is not the point of my post. I only post this to be clear to those who think that her relative value as a Congresswoman is indeed at issue.

It has occured to me that if she voted to certify election results, for the Jan 6 investigation, and the second impeachment she is, at worst, a middling rep. I know that's an easy bar to clear, but many in Congress didn't clear it.

23 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Nice try. The topic was the national right's habit of picking of women and women of color to try to whup up on as the face of the Dem party. They picked SJL well. They hated HRC exquisitely.

Women only have value if they are pretty and offer validation

6 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Rachel Carson's work  was vilified by the male dominated corporate power structure but her legacy lives on to this day.

One of my favorite restaurants is on the waterfront with a view across the way of the Rachel Carson Nature Reserve. It backs up to a Blackbeard museum, so pluses all around.

• Like 1