Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

On 5/22/2022 at 8:13 AM, Anastasis said:

Science is real. That includes biological sciences. 

Her point stands.  If an evangelical Christian's belief that life begins at conception conflicts with a Jewish person's belief that life begins at first breath, why does the former "win out"?  Why don't we go with the actual science and let the faith-based opinions be what they are, which is to say "not informing law"?

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Her point stands.  If an evangelical Christian's belief that life begins at conception conflicts with a Jewish person's belief that life begins at first breath, why does the former "win out"?  Why don't we go with the actual science and let the faith-based opinions be what they are, which is to say "not informing law"?

He’ll never tell you his real answer on this, which is that he supports a Christian theocracy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The Episcopal Church honors an individual's right to make an informed decision about abortion. The church is a pro-choice denomination and belongs to the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice.

The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) generally takes a pro-choice stance. The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) believes that the choice to receive an elective abortion can be "morally acceptable;"however, the denomination does not condone late abortions where the fetus is viable and the mother's life is not in danger.

Unitarian Universalists have the highest level of support for abortion rights among denominations, with 90 percent saying abortion should be legal, according to Pew Research.

Quakers don't have a united view on abortion but regard it as a matter of individual conscience. Philosophically there is no Quaker doctrine of when a person becomes a person.

Quick search suggests Christians are not solidly behind Catholic views on abortion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Episcopal Church honors an individual's right to make an informed decision about abortion. The church is a pro-choice denomination and belongs to the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice.

The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) generally takes a pro-choice stance. The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) believes that the choice to receive an elective abortion can be "morally acceptable;"however, the denomination does not condone late abortions where the fetus is viable and the mother's life is not in danger.

Unitarian Universalists have the highest level of support for abortion rights among denominations, with 90 percent saying abortion should be legal, according to Pew Research.

Quakers don't have a united view on abortion but regard it as a matter of individual conscience. Philosophically there is no Quaker doctrine of when a person becomes a person.

Quick search suggests Christians are not solidly behind Catholic views on abortion.

“Christianity” in America = only one thing: fundagelical beliefs, with minimal practice of any actual gospel tenets. Any other belief is actually “satanic communism.”
GQP out front shoulda told ya.
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agree. That was kinda the point.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
She is so fucking fire and right on.  She's fresh, young and brings energy to a party that badly needs it.  

All of these. Smart, attractive and not afraid to bring the fire. She’s a little left for my tastes, but that don’t bother me none when you factor in the compromise factor that necessarily comes with the political bidbness. The other side is clearly pants pissing afraid of her. I could definitely see a Senator or President AOC one day if she stays the course.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

She is so fucking fire and right on.  She's fresh, young and brings energy to a party that badly needs it.  

Which is why nancy hates her and will do everything she can to make sure that AOC gets no support from the party on messaging or outcomes 

Nancy did help put together the commission.  I don't understand why the Democratic Party doesn't embrace their young and tutor them since they're the future of the party.  But I agree with Chad's comments upstream, AOC is at times, a little too left for my views, but nobody is going to bat 1000%.  

17 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Is he wrong? That's generally been my impression of how the party treats her

What are they supposed to do? Fall at her feet? She’s still a rookie. She’s made some mistakes. She’s still learning. The party shouldn’t be handed over to her control. I hope she has a great future in politics but people bitching about how she’s treated by the party sound a lot like the Bernie Bros lamenting about how he didn’t get a fair shake. (He did.) Grow up already. AOC is doing just fine and if Nancy Pelosi ever endorses a candidate trying to primary her, then you can complain. Until then, I’m not interested.

It pisses me off, though, that people on the right portray her as a lot more radical than she is. The radical right is WAY more extreme than anyone on the left. And their extremism has become mainstream. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

What are they supposed to do? Fall at her feet? She’s still a rookie. She’s made some mistakes. She’s still learning. The party shouldn’t be handed over to her control. I hope she has a great future in politics but people bitching about how she’s treated by the party sound a lot like the Bernie Bros lamenting about how he didn’t get a fair shake. (He did.) Grow up already. AOC is doing just fine and if Nancy Pelosi ever endorses a candidate trying to primary her, then you can complain. Until then, I’m not interested.
It pisses me off, though, that people on the right portray her as a lot more radical than she is. The radical right is WAY more extreme than anyone on the left. And their extremism has become mainstream. 

It’s Hillary 2.0. If they say “she’s a radical *itch” enough, their base jizzes themselves and there’s enough propaganda that leaks into the back halls of independents minds to disarm her as a long term player. That’s the idea anyhow. I don’t think it’ll work with her though just because of the changing demographics.
  • Like 1

People tell me AOC has radical policies. I ask what they are, and they don’t have an answer. I legitimately don’t understand why people consider her a radical? Is it the green new deal? 

She’s a smart, assertive, ethical, minority female. She’s everything the GOP hates.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Okay I finally took the time to look at her website policy positions 

Abolishing ICE is out there. Free college will scare the “but I paid for college” crowd. Same for Single Payer Healthcare, why join the rest of the world in healthcare policy when we can allow people to suffer. I think the Green New Deal is probably the least scary, I mean, more jobs is a good thing, but I guess by saying renewable energy, you basically rile up all those “but I work in oil and gas” mouthbreathers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Okay I finally took the time to look at her website policy positions 

Abolishing ICE is out there. Free college will scare the “but I paid for college” crowd. Same for Single Payer Healthcare, why join the rest of the world in healthcare policy when we can allow people to suffer. I think the Green New Deal is probably the least scary, I mean, more jobs is a good thing, but I guess by saying renewable energy, you basically rile up all those “but I work in oil and gas” mouthbreathers. 

none of those are radical policies.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Is he wrong? That's generally been my impression of how the party treats her

11 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Nancy did help put together the commission.  I don't understand why the Democratic Party doesn't embrace their young and tutor them since they're the future of the party.  But I agree with Chad's comments upstream, AOC is at times, a little too left for my views, but nobody is going to bat 1000%.  

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/17/ocasio-cortez-throws-support-behind-campaign-to-primary-democrats-1000529

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...