Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

4 minutes ago, CO Horn said:

So the Democratic controlled house passes legislation and the Republican controlled senate refuse to bring it to a vote constitutes no congressional action? Got it. 

yes her quote like her is fucking stupid, Bush used EO as did Obama to get things they wanted done which congress wouldnt pass.

Congrats dems you got someone dumber then Trump in office 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Smax said:

yes her quote like her is fucking stupid, Bush used EO as did Obama to get things they wanted done which congress wouldnt pass.

Seriously, she is obviously exponentially more intelligent than Trump. 

8 minutes ago, Smax said:

just saying if congress wont act, trump should and if possible take all steps without legislation 

They both acted and both passed the bill that Trump said he would sign.   Then his tiny toddler feelings were hurt when talking right wing media idiots said bad things about him, so as usual he broke his word - opposing the bill that he previously told the Turtle he would sign.

We are in a shutdown because our Toddler-In-Chief would rather shut down the country and harm hundreds of thousands of Citizens than have Rush and Coulter hurt his widdle feelings on the radio machine.  

MAGA

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Smax said:

You are absolutely the worst fucking troll.

10 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

So the crowd that justified trump going after a gold star family and a military widow because "if you go after him, he hits back harder," is upset that a congresswoman is defending herself.

"Impeach the Motherfucker" should be something revered and put on a Flag -  like "Dont Tred On Me" or "Come and Take It" .

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I am also not sure it was ever a good idea. If someone says something stupid, point it out. Dont let them get away with it. You wouldn't pass up the chance in the courtroom. I dont see why public discourse on policy should be any different. It doesn't have to mean being infantile like Trump as Brew suggests. And I dont see AOC acting that way.

I’m in no way comparing the responses, more complaining about the constant need to respond to every slight on Twitter. However, the dancing down the hall one is pretty juvenile but again that’s probably another “yelling at clouds” deal.

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

I’m in no way comparing the responses, more complaining about the constant need to respond to every slight on Twitter. However, the dancing down the hall one is pretty juvenile but again that’s probably another “yelling at clouds” deal.

The dancing thing is a perfect metaphor. To some, she is a shot of youth and a breath of fresh air, to others she is juvenile and twitty. 

The thing is, everyone is right

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Even a broken clock, smax.

The notion of a college degree has not only inflated the cost of college and increased consumer debt while devaluing the bachelor’s degree, it has also caused labor shortages in key skilled vocational labor fields and contributed to both flattened wage growth and the deterioration of high school curricula.

counterpoint, maybe some people choose not to be broken down like a 12 year NFL vet after working:

People are in pain because unless you went to college, the only way you’ll earn a decent living is by breaking your body or risking your life — plumbers, electricians, steamfitters, welders, mechanics, cable guys, linemen, fishermen, garbagemen, the options are endless.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cable-tech-dick-cheney-sex-dungeon_us_5c0ea571e4b06484c9fd4c21

^^ that's a pretty good read due to the work horror stories

my best friend is an AF mechanic, and finish his 20 next year.  he could make plenty good money working as a mechanic for a big airline (all his experience is on heavies - E-4, C-17, C-5, KC-10, etc.).  but his body can't take it.  he expects to be 100% disabled when he gets out.  so he'll have to do something else that probably won't pay near as well. 

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I really don’t understand the arguments for what she is/is not.

the reality it that no on should get too excited in the beginning with any politician. In life it matters what you do, not what you say. 

The reality is that wasthington is reactionary and her true test and measure will be how she manages to get her policy done without getting in bed with the powers necessary to make it happen. 

I understand your skepticism, but AOC is a millenial. She's not part of the old guard that can get away with talking out of both sides of her mouth. People support her because she will walk the walk. If she doesn't, she'll be skewered by everyone. And she knows that.  She embraces social media and every act will be followed closely. 

Can she make a difference in regards to policy? We'll see. But she's not going to backtrack. She will succeed or fail based on her actual beliefs, which is refreshing. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I understand your skepticism, but AOC is a millenial. She's not part of the old guard that can get away with talking out of both sides of her mouth. People support her because she will walk the walk. If she doesn't, she'll be skewered by everyone. And she knows that.  She embraces social media and every act will be followed closely. 

Can she make a difference in regards to policy? We'll see. But she's not going to backtrack. She will succeed or fail based on her actual beliefs, which is refreshing. 

we'll see.

Ive learned in my life what you are rarely has any affect on what you do.  I mean jesus, how many people smoke weed and then go to Chick-fil-a?

By no means does being naive makes them impervious to corruption. In fact, quite the contrary. 

Time will tell. Who knows, she might grow into something useful

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

we'll see.

Ive learned in my life what you are rarely has any affect on what you do.  I mean jesus, how many people smoke weed and then go to Chick-fil-a?

I dont think those things are contradictory at all. Just because I like a restaurant's food doesn't mean I agree with their owner's politics. The people that smoke weed aren't likely to go campaigning for harsher drug laws, so obviously what they are has some affect on what they do. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I dont think those things are contradictory at all. Just because I like a restaurant's food doesn't mean I agree with their owner's politics. The people that smoke weed aren't likely to go campaigning for harsher drug laws, so obviously what they are has some affect on what they do. 

this is the problem with power. people without it don't understand it.

If you give money to a restaurant that supports Trump, you are supporting Trump.

In a capitalist country, where you spend your money is much more important than who you vote for.

So...I’m confused....do or don’t smoke weed on Sundays?

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

this is the problem with power. people without it don't understand it.

If you give money to a restaurant that supports Trump, you are supporting Trump.

In a capitalist country, where you spend your money is much more important than who you vote for.

Oh come on. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

So...I’m confused....do or don’t smoke weed on Sundays?

Obviously you can since chik-fil-a isn't open. HEB is a different issue. 

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Add a few lines and a 3 hour edging session and you just described my normal Thursday evening. 

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

my best friend is an AF mechanic, and finish his 20 next year.  he could make plenty good money working as a mechanic for a big airline (all his experience is on heavies - E-4, C-17, C-5, KC-10, etc.).  but his body can't take it.  he expects to be 100% disabled when he gets out.  so he'll have to do something else that probably won't pay near as well. 

There are lots of guys with a 20 year military retirement on disability retired in the Philippines.

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

counterpoint, maybe some people choose not to be broken down like a 12 year NFL vet after working:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cable-tech-dick-cheney-sex-dungeon_us_5c0ea571e4b06484c9fd4c21

^^ that's a pretty good read due to the work horror stories

Fair enough, but I'm not just talking about physically demanding jobs - marketing and sales, for example, are typically among the most well paid functions in most big companies.  Those job families didn't used to require an undergrad degree at the entry level and there really isn't any reason why they should. But they do now, for the same reason you had to have a high school diploma at the entry level a generation ago.

We also have a nursing shortage in this country. there is no reason why high schools can't  have vocational programs to graduate trained CNAs, LPNs, and LVNs. Also surgical techs. And so on.

Also - be extremely careful calling the working life of skilled laborers "horror stories". It's demeaning to go with inaccurate. Every business has it's share of idiosyncrasies. That doesn't take away the dignity of work. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

If we're going to seriously push for fewer college degrees and more technical certifications/community college then we really need companies to stop valuing a college degree so much, or perhaps even better (and I know some businesses have basically been forced to do this) companies have paid long-term apprenticeships. I get a gross feeling from hearing so many boomers, not necessarily y'all, whine about the waning allure of community college/technical school when in reality they would have never considered such a path when they were young.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2019 at 10:45 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It is the freedom caucus strategy from the left. 

Which, for the record, isn't a bad strategy. 

You swing for the fences and eventually hit a double.

We're no longer in the world of measuring accomplishments by getting bills passed.

This is political warfare and AOC is a warrior, not an appeaser.    

The Freedom Caucus was able to pull the whole GOP and some Dems to the right.

No reason the same strategy can't work in the other direction.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

We are a small poor, backwater country. We can’t expect the kind of public services that are taken for granted in immensely wealthy, powerful countries like Canada, for example. 

Wake me up when Canada exports cluster munitions to all corners of the world. 

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Did she ever answer the question? Welcome to politics and the nonanswer answer.

Yeah, that was a pretty shitty answer. Part of the Blue Wave message was that Dems were going to restore some semblance of responsible governance. Saying we will pay for it the same way we pay for the Space Force doesn't sound like someone who has a plan. They sound like Trump.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez