Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Another whopper by AOC.

That's weird. Her main twitter account is @AOC and she tweets on that account all day, everyday. @RepAOC has only posted one tweet, the above, after joining Twitter last month. The account is Twitter verified, but curious that this is the only tweet from that account. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So she said two weeks when it was three? That's the thing here? lol ok guys

Not to get too in the weeds on semantics but the federal government shutdown began on Dec 21. Today, Jan 8 marks 19 days. If she just (today) was told by the furloughed worker that they'd been out "three weeks," then we're only a couple days shy from 21 days.

I can totally see someone in distress maybe exaggerating a couple days to make a point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

bwahaha. she's the flip side of the trump coin in every way.

Not even fucking close. 

3 weeks vs 2 weeks in somebody else's story is not even close to 4000 vs 12 in Trump's own cooked up stats.

If the shutdown continues past Friday 2 weeks does in fact become 3 weeks and more.

Btw, in comparing "lies", YOU just called Trump a liar!

So good for you.

Lol. You voted for a liar Lololol.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

"we have to make sure we get the facts straight".

Yes we do. But you damn well know the math of government, business, science  etc is verrrry arguable.

The only time it's perfect is in test problems, as in math class. And even then there's imperfection fundamentally built in, ie, ranges domains and functions etc. Stats lie, as the adage goes.

However truth, in the human arena, is grounded in sincerity. And she most definitely is sincere. Whereas Trump is entirely full of shit. Willfully so.

You're sincere too. You're sincerely fatuous, obnoxious and ignorant. Like a Sean Hannity facsimile. 

• Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, retread said:

good on her. but she's got to learn a killer instinct. i know attacking the president's family is not exactly kosher, but it stands up to note that melania is herself an immigrant, and so are her parents. his hypocrisy, i think, is completely fair game. he wants to attack chain migration, he wants to attack legal immigration and limit it in certain ways, but he needs to look no further than whatever bedroom in the white house in which melania sleeps to see his own fucking hypocrisy. it's unfuckingcanny.

17 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Not to get too in the weeds on semantics but the federal government shutdown began on Dec 21. Today, Jan 8 marks 19 days. If she just (today) was told by the furloughed worker that they'd been out "three weeks," then we're only a couple days shy from 21 days.

I can totally see someone in distress maybe exaggerating a couple days to make a point.

pretty much this. and it's also possible that one of two things happened: 1) she exaggerated for effect, which happens, but more likely: 2) her constituent exaggerated for effect, or she didn't fully understand the context: ie, maybe the person said "next week, it will be three weeks, and we can't manage that" or something like that, and the message got lost in the exchange. shit, this happens all the time in kindergarten classrooms with the game of telephone (they still play that shit?). 

we are clearly closing on three weeks of shutdown. she could be more careful, but this is kind of a joke in the wake of trump telling stories about drugs coming across the border and with the fucking blatant out of order LIES the administration has been trying to peddle the last 2-3 days.

• Like 2

There are lies, damned lies and then there are Trump lies.

Until AOC starts channeling John Lovitz's pathological liar SNL character you guys have nothing to really talk shit about.

Trump is a pathological liar and you choose to swoop in on this Tweet?

I was only half listening to NPR this morning during my commute, but they had a story on the history of federal government shutdowns. If I remember correctly they mentioned we've only had something like 20 in the modern era and that the longest one (21 days) was in the mid- to late-90s and was effectively ended by a speech Dole gave on the Senate floor. That was also the first one that I actually recall, and it provided the kill shot to Gingrich's BS no-compromise "Contract with America" agenda. 

11 minutes ago, woohorn said:

What joke am I missing?

AOC said HUD people missed pay, but they are paid fortnightly and haven't even missed ONE paycheck yet.

They've probably been told that thresholds have already passed to prepare paychecks on time even if the shutdown ends expeditiously. 

I bet you anything that people in HUD esp those doing contract or project work are going to miss 3 weeks of pay +. They've probably been told to expect so.

There's going to be back pay backlog. I guarantee it.  

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

The most likely scenarios are 1) this person exaggerated about their circumstance; 2) AOC made up or exaggerated the story; or 3) the person is actually a contractor, which there are many for HUD, and actually hasn't gotten paid in 3 weeks as a lot of contractors haven't since the shutdown.

2 hours ago, retread said:

They think she's stupid because of the way her voice sounds, in terms of tone and vigor. She sounds younger than she is and because she is very passionate (and ethnic!) she accelerates her sentences. Ergo shithead older usually white men respond to her in a very patronizing way.

As in lol at my emotional wife or gf she doesnt know how inanimate mechanical things work. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, ADHD said:

They think she's stupid because of the way her voice sounds, in terms of tone and vigor. She sounds younger than she is and because she is very passionate (and ethnic!) she accelerates her sentences. Ergo shithead older usually white men respond to her in a very patronizing way.

As in lol at my emotional wife or gf she doesnt know how inanimate mechanical things work. 

They have to say she's "stupid" because they have to make sure that as few people listen to her as possible. This is a classic case of poisoning the well, and it's what those morons live for. They have no merits to their own platform, so the next best thing to do, in their tiny minds, is to shit on everyone else's before they can even get a word in edgewise. She's been a US Representative for a little less than a week and we've already heard more complaints about her from that idiotic cult than we've heard just general commentary on damn near every representative (except those in leadership positions) from the last term. This is manufactured hysteria, it's what they do best, and they just never stop running with it. If the Gish Gallop was an Olympic event, those motherfuckers would win every fucking medal every four years.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 4

I can attest that this double standard response is maddening. How men - but women also - treat strong and impassioned women who are speaking out loudly and forcefully is infuriating.

Hpslugga it’s also an unconcisous bias and response men have to strong and forceful women. Disregard, discredit and - if (and only if) attractive - reduce to an object of sexual desire or worse sexual conquest.

If she were a man everyone would be talking about her future and how she should have presidential aspirations and with some seasoning she will be one of the great politicians of her generation.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, troph said:

If she were a man everyone would be talking about her future and how she should have presidential aspirations and with some seasoning she will be one of the great politicians of her generation.

Her political positions are way too outside of convention for commentators to say such things. If she were a man, she'd be a Howard Zinn/Ralph Nader/Noam Chomsky and we all know how well treated those types are both in the government and in the mass media that cover them. That's not to say that chauvinism hasn't been a factor in some of the more idiotic renderings made against her, but let's not pretend that it'd all disappear if she was a he.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 4

I can't believe all the rightwingers on here that are picking apart and dissecting AOC's words, yet blindly refuse to do the same for Trump.  We have never had a more dishonest president - blatant lies, made up facts, malarkey, hot air, braggadocio.  Just this week spokespeople for his administration said 4,000 terrorists have been arrested at our borders.  DHS has come out and said it's 6.  6 terrorists have been arrested at our borders.  3,694 shy of the number that Trump's administration spouts out in public, to the press, that all his gullible sycophants cling to.  That's just one example out of hundreds in the past two years.  I don't mind you criticizing people or holding them to a certain standard, but apply that standard to everyone, not just those you already predetermined you are against and don't like.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I can't believe all the rightwingers on here that are picking apart and dissecting AOC's words, yet blindly refuse to do the same for Trump.  We have never had a more dishonest president - blatant lies, made up facts, malarkey, hot air, braggadocio.  Just this week spokespeople for his administration said 4,000 terrorists have been arrested at our borders.  DHS has come out and said it's 6.  6 terrorists have been arrested at our borders.  3,694 shy of the number that Trump's administration spouts out in public, to the press, that all his gullible sycophants cling to.  That's just one example out of hundreds in the past two years.  I don't mind you criticizing people or holding them to a certain standard, but apply that standard to everyone, not just those you already predetermined you are against and don't like.  

Yeah but 57 states, 3 weeks of the a shutdown, blah blah blah. 

giphy.gif

25 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Her political positions are way too outside of convention for commentators to say such things. If she were a man, she'd be a Howard Zinn/Ralph Nader/Noam Chomsky and we all know how well treated those types are both in the government and in the mass media that cover them. That's not to say that chauvinism hasn't been a factor in some of the more idiotic renderings made against her, but let's not pretend that it'd all disappear if she was a he.

Dennis Kucinich?

dennis-kucinich-elizabeth-kucinich-2012-

I vehemently disagree. The thing is she’s so unbelievably young for a politician. There is no corollary on the right. Now if she was old like those guys I think her positions could be dismissed as fringe. If she was a young man the conversation would be about how awesome her raw political talent is and how she just needs experience.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I vehemently disagree. The thing is she’s so unbelievably young for a politician. There is no corollary on the right. Now if she was old like those guys I think her positions could be dismissed as fringe. If she was a young man the conversation would be about how awesome her raw political talent is and how she just needs experience.

Justin Amash entered the House at 30 yo. 

He is now 38, and it would not be a fair match up in terms of experience in government, but I would love to see the two square up for a debate. 

Edited by Anastasis

3 minutes ago, troph said:

So......... Paul Ryan circa 1999?

I like her just fine.  Yet her manner of speaking is different than what I prefer, which comes from a long time in technical work were careful, measured, and precise communications were the norm.  I don't think this is a "male" thing, but it might be a "power" thing, but when I hear impassioned rushing talk my gut reaction is the content has not been subject to the self scrutiny that a high commitment to truth requires.  Of course politicians lie in all kinds of speaking styles.

Maybe only a few percent of the population see communication this way, so its not relevant to what politicians should or shouldn't do.

• Like 1

Just now, NBMisha said:

I like her just fine.  Yet her manner of speaking is different than what I prefer, which comes from a long time in technical work were careful, measured, and precise communications were the norm.  I don't think this is a "male" thing, but it might be a "power" thing, but when I hear impassioned rushing talk my gut reaction is the content has not been subject to the self scrutiny that a high commitment to truth requires.  Of course politicians lie in all kinds of speaking styles.

Maybe only a few percent of the population see communication this way, so its not relevant to what politicians should or shouldn't do.

That’s a bias though.  Whether it’s gender based is only something an experiment could prove out. Most claim they have no bias but then when subjected to a controlled experiment it shows.

I have adhd and it’s not mild, my brain races, I used to finish college and law school exams first by as much as half an hour and get the high A.  I get bored and distracted with slow talkers, I used to think they weren’t very smart, I used to ascribe speed with intelligence, I don’t much anymore though I still prefer fast talkers.  And in my own life, I speed up with the more confidence I have in the subject matter.  

it may not be a preference for you, but I would challenge you to examine the assumptions, they are likely heuristics that are often and maybe most times useful but I suspect not 100% accurate. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I haven’t paid attention to the ages of Amash and Ryan when they made their first political appearances but I do recall both being pre-crowned as princes of the Right with very little scrutiny on the right.

Ryan was 28 when he first entered the House in 99 and Amash was 30 or 31.

10 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

but when I hear impassioned rushing talk my gut reaction is the content has not been subject to the self scrutiny that a high commitment to truth requires.  Of course politicians lie in all kinds of speaking styles.

When I hear somebody like her talking, even if I do not agree with her policies, my first instinct is that she’s actually speaking her mind and being honest with what she’s saying, and I dig that in a politician.  Far too many of them, when they speak, it’s like they’ve studied what they are going to say, and who their audience is, and are trying to maximize the support for whatever issue it is.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

When I hear somebody like her talking, even if I do not agree with her policies, my first instinct is that she’s actually speaking her mind and being honest with what she’s saying, and I dig that in a politician.  Far too many of them, when they speak, it’s like they’ve studied what they are going to say, and who their audience is, and are trying to maximize the support for whatever issue it is.  

Beto was like that too.  He sounded rushed but passionate about what he was saying, because he believed it in his heart. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez