Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

That’s a good angle of attack. She’s gonna find that there are not only pharmaceutical companies grabbing the gold at the end of that rainbow, but lots of research universities converting and privatizing tax payer funded research to cash flows. Kesselheim is correct that this could be addressed through reforms to the patent protection system. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

She's really not gonna like what she finds out when her staff does a modicum of research on how many of her fellow committee members, including Democrats take significant campaign money (direct and PAC) from Big Pharma.  I mean, she's really not gonna like it.  I like her tenacity and I fucking hate the pharma industry and the doctors who blindly shill for them.  But she may not yet appreciate how many of her colleagues are re-elected with their help.  

You think she doesn't know? lol what?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

she may but lobo's point is that she is making enemies out of friends, and it's possible she doesn't realize how difficult she is making her road, when it was grooved for her.  she has the looks, she has the brains, she has the youth, she has the enthusiasm.  lots of upsides there but she's already gotten herself blocked from certain committees due to rankling pelosi.  there is some truth to the adage to get along, you have to go along.  we'll see how this shakes out.  it's only been a month.  i don't want her to get too complacent in the "going along" part, but how many elected officials have come in with idealism and a bartender's work mentality, to speak for the working class and the real people of the country, only to be silenced and disillusioned over time?  

41 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

she may but lobo's point is that she is making enemies out of friends, and it's possible she doesn't realize how difficult she is making her road, when it was grooved for her. 

Why are you guys assuming that you're smarter than her about a world she actually lives in? it's bizarre.

(It's not actually bizarre, you're just concern trolls.)

lots of upsides there but she's already gotten herself blocked from certain committees due to rankling pelosi.

She's on two important House Committees already. She (and others) wanted a brand new committee on the Green New Deal, but didn't get it. She's been in the House for a month. She's doing pretty well and she is generating a ton of enthusiasm among the base and others in Congress.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

She's really not gonna like what she finds out when her staff does a modicum of research on how many of her fellow committee members, including Democrats take significant campaign money (direct and PAC) from Big Pharma.  I mean, she's really not gonna like it.  I like her tenacity and I fucking hate the pharma industry and the doctors who blindly shill for them.  But she may not yet appreciate how many of her colleagues are re-elected with their help.  

50 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

41 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

she has the looks, she has the brains, she has the youth, she has the enthusiasm.  ...  i don't want her to get too complacent in the "going along" part, but how many elected officials have come in with idealism and a bartender's work mentality, to speak for the working class and the real people of the country, only to be silenced and disillusioned over time?  

I don't know her well or much at all, but she doesn't seem to be applying her looks, brains, and enthusiasm to join the club of compromised senior representatives. I believe that she is actually banking on integrity and truth speaking to shine light in dark places and improve things. 

If she can maintain that course under the absurd spotlight her opponents have shone on her, she won't be alone. There are numerous new representatives this session and there will be in sessions to come. I think most newly elected representatives all along the political spectrum would rather do things her way.

Her point about pharma is well taken. Fuck any harrumphs from other representatives sitting on fat wallets dipped in the trough.

• Like 1

I am very amused that the woman of color the right has chosen to ridicule as the personification of the left is making fools of them. She's comfortable in her own skin and brilliant at riposte.

I do love what I know of her and see of her. I would barely know her name if it weren't for the stuffed shirts of the right nudging me and telling me what an idiot she is. They've created their own monster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'm guessing that she already knows that many politicians get a lot of money from Big Pharma.

I'm also guessing that she knows how big money donors work in the world of Washington.

So..., I don't think this is going to be the big surprise to her that you think it will be.

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

I'm guessing that she already knows that many politicians get a lot of money from Big Pharma.

I'm also guessing that she knows how big money donors work in the world of Washington.

So..., I don't think this is going to be the big surprise to her that you think it will be.

Yeah, it won’t. She knows.

What's the downside here?  Personally, it might be significant for her, but for the progressive movement, the risk is nonexistent.  Worst case, she doesn't get reelected and fades into the woodwork.  Wow, the world is coming to an end.

I find it amusing that people have been railing against the legislative whores to big money for several decades now but when someone actually speaks up from within and tries to illuminate some really dark corners the collective goes "WTF she's an idiot".  No, she's not.  She may not survive, but that's hardly the right's concern.

• Like 2

There's a weird mix of concern trolling and grooming in the attitudes a lot of people have towards AOC.

I can just imagine someone actually talking to her, to her face, and saying, "You may not know this, but a lot of your Democratic colleagues take pharma money" like they're talking to a precocious young girl that they are EXTREMELY horny for and how awkward that situation would be. Like they want her to say, "Oh really! Wow I'm just so naive, Mr. Big Strong Man!" with big doe eyes.

FlippantSpecificAidi-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

There's a weird mix of concern trolling and grooming in the attitudes a lot of people have towards AOC.

I can just imagine someone actually talking to her, to her face, and saying, "You may not know this, but a lot of your Democratic colleagues take pharma money" like they're talking to a precocious young girl that they are EXTREMELY horny for and how awkward that situation would be. Like they want her to say, "Oh really! Wow I'm just so naive, Mr. Big Strong Man!" with big doe eyes.

FlippantSpecificAidi-size_restricted.gif

God, that GIF is cringe inducing.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2019 at 6:57 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Jeff Ward is far closer to a traditional Republican than a Democrat.  Mostly, he's just a Libertarian but his recent stance against the right is wholly related to Trump and the other morons who have taken over the Republican Party.

I've only really been listening to him for a couple of years, so my expeirence is most likely a lot shorter than yours.  What I've heard over that time is him slinging shit both ways, but moreso toward the Rs.  That matches up with your assessment.  I've heard him be brutally cinical about City Council, but haven't heard him go after D on the national scene like he did since I've been listening.

Of course, I may have just lost it in the wash with him talking over Ed's ridiculous ramblings.

Anyway, it was just sort of bizarre to hear given the context of my experience with the show. He's still a smug cock.

Edited by Cajun

5 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Oh. My. Gosh.

And I am probably one of the handful of folks on this website who has actually read Between the World and Me (and I recommend everyone read it, it's a good read of it's own merit), but to try and equate it with this screams of faux-psuedo-intellectualism on race and politics. It's like saying, on the opposite side, "if you don't vote for Trump, especially in Virginia, then you aren't understanding how eroded people feel and should READ BOOKS! To start, try "Hillbilly Elegy".

Juxtapose that tweet with her Tapper and Cooper interviews.

Good stuff.

Read books?  Yeah, maybe understand basic math would be good too.  Hilarious

11 minutes ago, sex sex sex sex sex sex said:

My God dude, you're terrified of chicks & hispanics.  She's so much smarter than you. I hope she becomes president and castrates red necks .. because that's both your fear and your deserved comeuppance.

She's the Conchita Gueverra.

Yes, that's it.

Terrified, because she's a she and she's brown.  Go to your comfort zone brother, it's warm and fuzzy there.

"Cajun railed on Mack because he's terrified of women and Mexicans!"  lulz

You know who deserves comeuppance?  fan bois

Edited by Cajun

4 minutes ago, sex sex sex sex sex sex said:

She's a pissed off smart as shit millennial Latina w mad Twitter skills, revolutionary zeal and j lo heels. And she looks like Pocahontas. Trump is a twitter troll ran on misogyny and brown people bigotry and he literally looks like an ogre plus he's a Soviet puppet.

She's your worst nightmare. She's what you deserve. She's RED DAWN.

And I'm in love with her. 😍🤩😘💃

Well, you certainly assume a lot.

That figures.

Red neck?  Trump fan?  Wanna know how I know you didn't spend much time on the old site?  

Fantasies are great, especially when you're beating off, but watch the keyboard brah, you'll gum it all up.  Fan bois gotta do what fan bois gotta do.

Edited by Cajun

4 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Damnit, Average <> Median. I would still assume that majority of players would not experience 70% rate, especially as league gets younger and uses more rookie contracts, but average salary is not appropriate metric to use.

Shhh, no criticism allowed brah.

Fucks up the circle jerk rhythm.

6 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Not sure where you're really going with this, but it seems to be a criticism of AOC using the term avg (mean) instead of median? 

If so, let's use those same powers of analysis on what Trump says.

By all means.

Absolutely

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Given the distribution of things like salaries the median will be lower. So she’s even more right.  

I suspect (without looking at data) that you are correct, as I noted league is getting younger. And this is not just directed to you, more Asithappens (but I am too dumb to multiquote): Yes, this is a slight criticism of AOC but more just a pet peeve of mine. If only there was as many .gifs of someone saying "Median <> Average" as there are of someone saying "Fewer".

23 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I suspect (without looking at data) that you are correct, as I noted league is getting younger. And this is not just directed to you, more Asithappens (but I am too dumb to multiquote): Yes, this is a slight criticism of AOC but more just a pet peeve of mine. If only there was as many .gifs of someone saying "Median <> Average" as there are of someone saying "Fewer".

Well, I don't think you need to suspect anything. Isn't it mathematically impossible for the majority of players to have a salary greater than five times the mean salary (absent players making negative salaries)?  Let's say half the league made $10 million (the 70% threshold) and the other half made zero. The average would be $5 million, which is the most extreme result technically feasible.Mathematically and logically, her argument is sound. Your criticism is actually just shallow analysis. 

Edited by Dahobbs

52 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Damnit, Average <> Median. I would still assume that majority of players would not experience 70% rate, especially as league gets younger and uses more rookie contracts, but average salary is not appropriate metric to use.

lol Obama said "57 states" remember? what a dunce!

giphy.gif

On 2/1/2019 at 7:53 AM, thrillhammer said:

she may but lobo's point is that she is making enemies out of friends, and it's possible she doesn't realize how difficult she is making her road, when it was grooved for her.  she has the looks, she has the brains, she has the youth, she has the enthusiasm.  lots of upsides there but she's already gotten herself blocked from certain committees due to rankling pelosi.  there is some truth to the adage to get along, you have to go along.  we'll see how this shakes out.  it's only been a month.  i don't want her to get too complacent in the "going along" part, but how many elected officials have come in with idealism and a bartender's work mentality, to speak for the working class and the real people of the country, only to be silenced and disillusioned over time?  

She is taking on the establishment in both parties. This is not hard to understand. 

"You have to go along" is exactly how we got in this mess. God forbid we have elected officials that actually BELIEVE in something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He is taking on the establishment in both parties. This is not hard to understand. 

"You have to go along" is exactly how we got in this mess. God forbid we have elected officials that actually BELIEVE in something. 

Hmmm, where have I heard this saw before?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez