Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Why? What’s the story on Ta-Nehisi Coates? I don’t see anything on Google other than he wrote for The Atlantic and writes The Black Panther graphic novels.

To me, anyway, he has a very toxic world view.

Everything he writes eventually comes around to racism, it seems. I also think he's intellectually dishonest when it comes to the topic of race.

Say what you will about her ideas but having newer candidates with out of the box ideas vs those that have been in congress for 4 decades is a no brainer to me.  Yes get tax reform done and even the 70% bracket...fine, but don't ignore term limits.  Congress is a swamp.  It's damn near impossible to live in it for 40 years and not get grimy yourself. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Why? What’s the story on Ta-Nehisi Coates? I don’t see anything on Google other than he wrote for The Atlantic and writes The Black Panther graphic novels.

Dr. West says it best, as usual.

Coates rightly highlights the vicious legacy of white supremacy – past and present. He sees it everywhere and ever reminds us of its plundering effects. Unfortunately, he hardly keeps track of our fightback, and never connects this ugly legacy to the predatory capitalist practices, imperial policies (of war, occupation, detention, assassination) or the black elite’s refusal to confront poverty, patriarchy or transphobia.

In short, Coates fetishizes white supremacy. He makes it almighty, magical and unremovable. What concerns me is his narrative of “defiance”. For Coates, defiance is narrowly aesthetic – a personal commitment to writing with no connection to collective action. It generates crocodile tears of neoliberals who have no intention of sharing power or giving up privilege.

There is a liberal movement that co-opts black speech ("I ain't in no ways tired"!) and black culture ("SLAY QUEEN BAE!") in the most superficial and meaningless display of wokeness, but when it comes to any sense of sacrifice or reparation (be they direct or indirect), that same liberal movement is like Samantha Bee fighting to make sure black kids stay out of her kids' public school.

49 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Say what you will about her ideas but having newer candidates with out of the box ideas vs those that have been in congress for 4 decades is a no brainer to me.  Yes get tax reform done and even the 70% bracket...fine, but don't ignore term limits.  Congress is a swamp.  It's damn near impossible to live in it for 40 years and not get grimy yourself. 

This. Right. Here.

She wants to start talking that and she'll have my ear.

Dr. West says it best, as usual.
Coates rightly highlights the vicious legacy of white supremacy – past and present. He sees it everywhere and ever reminds us of its plundering effects. Unfortunately, he hardly keeps track of our fightback, and never connects this ugly legacy to the predatory capitalist practices, imperial policies (of war, occupation, detention, assassination) or the black elite’s refusal to confront poverty, patriarchy or transphobia.
In short, Coates fetishizes white supremacy. He makes it almighty, magical and unremovable. What concerns me is his narrative of “defiance”. For Coates, defiance is narrowly aesthetic – a personal commitment to writing with no connection to collective action. It generates crocodile tears of neoliberals who have no intention of sharing power or giving up privilege.
There is a liberal movement that co-opts black speech ("I ain't in no ways tired"!) and black culture ("SLAY QUEEN BAE!") in the most superficial and meaningless display of wokeness, but when it comes to any sense of sacrifice or reparation (be they direct or indirect), that same liberal movement is like Samantha Bee fighting to make sure black kids stay out of her kids' public school.

Gotcha, thanks.

A lot of that goes over my privileged white head but I think I get the gist.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:20 AM, Cajun said:

I've only really been listening to him for a couple of years, so my expeirence is most likely a lot shorter than yours.  What I've heard over that time is him slinging shit both ways, but moreso toward the Rs.  That matches up with your assessment.  I've heard him be brutally cinical about City Council, but haven't heard him go after D on the national scene like he did since I've been listening.

Of course, I may have just lost it in the wash with him talking over Ed's ridiculous ramblings.

Anyway, it was just sort of bizarre to hear given the context of my experience with the show. He's still a smug cock.

no matter what he plays on the radio I can tell you that Ward isn't anything close to libertarian.  he's just trying to get the most people he can to listen to his show and he knows where he lives.

he's a self proclaimed marketing genius AKA smug cock...

24 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Did I say anything about no changes to lobbyist access?

Why do you want career politicians who are sevants unto themselves?

The only reason we have career politicians is b/c they get the votes. 

The solution to this problem is not to vote for them.

• Like 1

she's clearly going to pop off tonight like that moron did during Obama's SOTU.  Can't wait to hear how people say what she did is ok and then the screen shots of tweets by those same people condemning the guy that spoke up during Obama's.  Then further breakdown because it's all a game of gotcha.  For current example see the Virginia governor and Lt. Governor issues.

• Fuck You 3

11 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

she's clearly going to pop off tonight like that moron did during Obama's SOTU.  Can't wait to hear how people say what she did is ok and then the screen shots of tweets by those same people condemning the guy that spoke up during Obama's.  Then further breakdown because it's all a game of gotcha.  For current example see the Virginia governor and Lt. Governor issues.

lol no she isn't

What can we expect from you when you accuse her of this and then she actually just sits there respectfully? 

Edited by bad_teammate

19 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I'll come back here and say I was wrong?   What is an appropriate punishment in your mind for me? 

Drive to College Station, video yourself taking a dump on the 50 yard line in Kyle while chanting "AOC, AOC, AOC!" Then upload it to the internet.

You might have to go into witness relocation after that so have a go bag ready.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

What a weird fantasy you have.

You should seek mental help. 

Yeah, y’all know those emotional Latina women.

She’s totally going to holler and ask someone to hold her earrings so she can go take a swing at him.

No levelheaded white man would ever yell something like “YOU LIE!” at a president during such a solemn occasion as the State of the Union.

Let’s hope she’s not on her period! Things might really get out of hand!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F250 said:

Drive to College Station, video yourself taking a dump on the 50 yard line in Kyle while chanting "AOC, AOC, AOC!" Then upload it to the internet.

You might have to go into witness relocation after that so have a go bag ready.

Judging by the intelligence of his posts, I'd venture to guess Kyle Field is within walking distance. 

• Like 2

Yeah, Latina Seabiscuit is so dumb it’s not even worth the energy to decipher.

And does he think horses don’t menstruate?

What does he think they do? Lay eggs? Does he think they’re marsupials?

So much sexism; so much bigotry; so much idiocy; so many questions.

Anyway, I’m waiting on that baby daddy person to apologize for his erroneous assumptions about her behavior.

And she looked hot as helllllll tonight.

Her hair and makeup - flawless. Keep rocking that red lip.

I’m in LOVE with the caped blazer. I hope a fashion blogger sources that tomorrow, I need me one.

And those camel suede pumps are fierce!

805cb3327e84def88960ca43b723fc41.jpg
dbeb9777a9a81f9f338709fc56dec2b0.jpg
23913eef5d33c3d0a4761e05aecb6490.jpg
a1c8d4849ddd590d47ba1dd3b6a26ba1.jpg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Cornelius Vanderbilt, J. P. Morgan, and Leland Stanford, among many, many others, say hi.

as i said.

your other point about feudal escheat is lacking.  feudal escheat occured in 2 situations: 1) die with no will and no family, or 2) if you were convicted of a felony.  as to the first, that still happens when you die with no will and no family.  as to the second, civil asset forfeiture says 'hi' (which as we all know is worse since you don't have to be charged with anything)

Edited by elfenix

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez