The Maritime Nightmare Thread

TrashMaster G

The universe has a way of getting even and these whales are gonna settle some scores.

I’m no whale expert but I’m pretty confident in this.  Unless someone has a way to train them to stop, they’ll keep doing this until they’re killed.  The question is - when do sailboat guys become more important than whales have a right to live guys?

5 hours ago, CoTex said:

The universe has a way of getting even and these whales are gonna settle some scores.

I’m no whale expert but I’m pretty confident in this.  Unless someone has a way to train them to stop, they’ll keep doing this until they’re killed.  The question is - when do sailboat guys become more important than whales have a right to live guys?

Damnit, you just revived SeaWorld. Mobile Orca training. 

received-465478466152753.jpg

received-1111707100052875.jpg

received-429230989738421.jpg

6 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

@G650 Has the craziest maritime story I have heard.

Man I still get the willies thinking about it.

I definitely worry about the container thing @Crapinon mentioned though, those goddamn things are everywhere these days.

This shouldn't be in lulz btw!

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The Andrea Doria collided with the Stockholm in dense fog 21 miles off the coast of Nantucket.

and it eased into the water like an old man into a hot bath

• Fuck You 1

I used to sail quite a bit. Was once helping a friend take a 23ft Hunter to Isla Mujers from Corpus and 2 days out in the gulf in some fairly decent swells we almost landed directly on a pair of sleeping pilot whales that looked close to the size of the boat. (Probably 15 ft or so, but still looked huge in a small boat.) Scared the shit out of me! I’ve seen a couple of semi submerged cargo containers from a distance and wondered what was in them. A new Ferrari or a bunch of illegal Chinese workers?

6 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

I used to sail quite a bit. Was once helping a friend take a 23ft Hunter to Isla Mujers from Corpus and 2 days out in the gulf in some fairly decent swells we almost landed directly on a pair of sleeping pilot whales that looked close to the size of the boat. (Probably 15 ft or so, but still looked huge in a small boat.) Scared the shit out of me! I’ve seen a couple of semi submerged cargo containers from a distance and wondered what was in them. A new Ferrari or a bunch of illegal Chinese workers?

That’s a slow small boat for that passage, and when I think of Hunters I think of dock barges, not bluewater craft.

Did that thing have a shitter?  Any means of generating electricity?

On 5/14/2024 at 2:54 PM, CoTex said:

Orcas attacking sailboats may become a socialized behavior, so let me say in advance, I for one, welcome our Orca overloads.

Or we can train humpback whales (who already hate orcas) to fight more aggressively.

https://awesomeocean.com/guest-columns/beef-orcas-humpbacks/#:~:text=In fact%2C while orcas have,cousins out of the area.

23 hours ago, G650 said:

Terrifies me.  I do a lot of solo sailing, and I am never on deck without a pfd and never out of the cockpit without being tethered to something.  But if I went over and the boat was cruising under autopilot, I'm not sure I'd have the strength to haul myself back aboard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Terrifies me.  I do a lot of solo sailing, and I am never on deck without a pfd and never out of the cockpit without being tethered to something.  But if I went over and the boat was cruising under autopilot, I'm not sure I'd have the strength to haul myself back aboard.

Yeah that is the eternal debate on tethering. It is so circumstance dependent there really is no one answer.

I can tell you if you are in a spot where your tether is long enough to let you go all the way into the water while the boat is moving, there is no way even a young fit person would be able to get back onboard unassisted. Any kind of speed at all and you better have a knife to cut the tether loose or you will get drowned and beaten to death on the hull.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hypothetical question - if you had a pod of killer whales that behaved badly.  Wrecked sailboats, etc.  hooligans.

and you knew that over time they would commingle and teach the other pods, throughout the seas and oceans similar bad habits, would you be doing all whales a favor by exterminating the hooligans?

Similar thought - If someone killed these bad actor whales, what is the loss to man/mankind/existence?  Gain?

Oh, and I’ve spent most of my life thinking that killing and capturing whales and dolphins was an obvious mistake, but I also see that this pod of whales has chosen to not politely share the ocean.

I kinda think eradicate this bad pod.  Not because I like killing whales but because I think this is some learned behavior and I would rather try to stop it now than wish I had later.

can we call in the Japanese and trade this pod for something else?

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Yeah that is the eternal debate on tethering. It is so circumstance dependent there really is no one answer.

I can tell you if you are in a spot where your tether is long enough to let you go all the way into the water while the boat is moving, there is no way even a young fit person would be able to get back onboard unassisted. Any kind of speed at all and you better have a knife to cut the tether loose or you will get drowned and beaten to death on the hull.

Pulling one’s self up on a stationary j/24 from the water is no small task.  If the boat is moving - you will require substantial assistance to reboard.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 5/15/2024 at 6:40 PM, G650 said:

Dayum.

A question about whistles though: The orange whistle in that video was flat, what I have seen other 'safety' whistles shaped like. My opinion though, is the only kind of whistle to bother with is a Fox 40. That's the referee whistle and it doesn't have any ball inside it. (Not sure about that flat whistle). Sports refs use it because it does not fail. My personal safety whistle, in my case mostly for things like hiking solo, not the water, is a mini Fox 40, with the same shape as the normal one, just smaller. I did test it when I did my scuba checkout dive though. One part of that test is trying the whistle, and I used both the whistle that came with the dive gear, and then my mini Fox 40. I had a hard time getting the standard whistle to blow, but the Fox 40 went off with a super loud blast no problems. People probably tend to want to save money on an emergency whistle, since it is hardly used, but obviously if you actually need to use it, it is critical.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 5/14/2024 at 10:10 PM, SurlyBDR said:

Damnit, you just revived SeaWorld. Mobile Orca training. 

received-465478466152753.jpg

received-1111707100052875.jpg

received-429230989738421.jpg

I thought they were drawing them in before throwing the cast net.

• Haha 1