Sous Vide Recipes and Shit

Anyone ever dry rub a brisket, throw in some smoke, vacuum seal and then sous vide?  Might be an interesting experiment. 

I have serious doubts about the outcome. If you try it be careful about the spices. A little goes a long way when the meat cooks under vacuum.

i'm going to toss a whole package of HEB fajita flavored chicken thighs in at once.  then i just have to sear/crisp a couple thighs in the skillet and have tacos for dinner for a week.  package is a bit over 4 lbs. i was planning on following serious eats' guide of 165 for 1 to 4 hours, probably going into the 3-4 hour range due to the size of the package.  anyone tried this before and have tips?

edit: i guess the main question is what kind of plastic HEB uses and if it's boil safe

Edited by elfenix

i'm going to toss a whole package of HEB fajita flavored chicken thighs in at once.  then i just have to sear/crisp a couple thighs in the skillet and have tacos for dinner for a week.  package is a bit over 4 lbs. i was planning on following serious eats' guide of 165 for 1 to 4 hours, probably going into the 3-4 hour range due to the size of the package.  anyone tried this before and have tips?

edit: i guess the main question is what kind of plastic HEB uses and if it's boil safe

Do the minimum time possible. That much seasoning could be overpowering if you let it cook for high end of the time range. And not sure about the plastic issue.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

Did this with the marinated pork. Perfection. And no, zero issues with overpowering flavor. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally broke down and got the Anova Wi-Fi version. Cooking a wagyu coulatte that I picked up from The Meat Shop (Dallas) the other night. Kind of winging it on the first cut. EVOO, seasoning, some fresh smashed garlic and rosemary sprigs in the FoodSaver bag.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

So I finally broke down and got the Anova Wi-Fi version. Cooking a wagyu coulatte that I picked up from The Meat Shop (Dallas) the other night. Kind of winging it on the first cut. EVOO, seasoning, some fresh smashed garlic and rosemary sprigs in the FoodSaver bag.

Didn't turn out that great, though I can't blame the sous vide. It was a pretty thick cut of meat and when searing it, took longer to get to 125 internal temp. My Thermapen was reading much lower so I over-did it in the cast iron on the grill. Will probably try pork chops next. I like the short ribs idea but hard to believe cooking them for 72 hours is worth the effort. I would like to do a tri-tip perhaps. I'm also intrigued by perfectly poached eggs. And, there's always the perfectly done ribeye/NY Strip. Anyway, should be fun.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

pork is among my favorites sous vide. did chops earlier in the week. what temp did you cook it to?  looks like you're in the upper 130s range there which i think is ideal for pork.  

And how long was it in the water bath? And how did you get the nice sear? Looks great.

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:
pork is among my favorites sous vide. did chops earlier in the week. what temp did you cook it to?  looks like you're in the upper 130s range there which i think is ideal for pork.  

I cooked it at 140 for exactly one hour. It was a bone-in chop from Whole Foods so it was about an inch thick (maybe a little less). EDIT: Now that I think about it, it was less than an inch thick because it was thinner than the 1-inch wagyu steaks I pick up at The Meat Shop. I could probably stand to curb 15 mins or so off the cook.

Seared about 45 seconds to one minute on each side and then held it with tongs and seared the side for another 30 secs or so. Had tbs of canola and butter with shallots in the cast iron.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

Any favorite sous vide pork tenderloin recipes. There are a half-dozen or more in the Anova app. We are cooking a couple for my FIL's birthday party on Friday night. Need something that will pair well with Sammy's BBQ baked potato casserole, BBQ beans and we will probably have some sort of salad.

Also, if I want to do the sous vide part on Thursday night -- any issue with doing that and then the actual searing off (or whatever to finish the cook) on Friday afternoon/evening?

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Any favorite sous vide pork tenderloin recipes. There are a half-dozen or more in the Anova app. We are cooking a couple for my FIL's birthday party on Friday night. Need something that will pair well with Sammy's BBQ baked potato casserole, BBQ beans and we will probably have some sort of salad.

Also, if I want to do the sous vide part on Thursday night -- any issue with doing that and then the actual searing off (or whatever to finish the cook) on Friday afternoon/evening?

the sear isn't going to be enough to bring it back up to temp after refrigerating it overnight. 

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the sear isn't going to be enough to bring it back up to temp after refrigerating it overnight. 

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. So that's a no-go on the planning? Need to do the whole cook Fri afternoon?

I have a question regarding the timing range.  These charts all give a wide range from 1-4 hours or so.  That seems like a huge range.  In the 1-4 example, is the end product the same at the end of hour 1 as it is at the end of hour 4?    Traditionally it's the meats thickness that determines time but that doesn't appear to be the case with Sous-Vide.   And since it's vacuum sealed it's not like you can cut a piece to check if it's done.   

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. So that's a no-go on the planning? Need to do the whole cook Fri afternoon?

i would say so.  i guess you could cook to temp on thursday and then use the sous vide to bring it to serving temp before searing, but that doesn't sound any better than just doing the whole cook on friday. 

if you can't attend to it you might want to try the sous vide from ice water option.  then you could set up, leave, and start it over wifi in the afternoon.

17 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i would say so.  i guess you could cook to temp on thursday and then use the sous vide to bring it to serving temp before searing, but that doesn't sound any better than just doing the whole cook on friday. 

if you can't attend to it you might want to try the sous vide from ice water option.  then you could set up, leave, and start it over wifi in the afternoon.

Damn, didn't think about that! Brilliant!!!!

I have a question regarding the timing range.  These charts all give a wide range from 1-4 hours or so.  That seems like a huge range.  In the 1-4 example, is the end product the same at the end of hour 1 as it is at the end of hour 4?    Traditionally it's the meats thickness that determines time but that doesn't appear to be the case with Sous-Vide.   And since it's vacuum sealed it's not like you can cut a piece to check if it's done.   

It should be the same quality if you stay within the range. Going longer can make meat rubbery. I have that problem with chicken and sometimes it still comes out rubbery even at the low range. There are some tables on line that show the minimum time to pasteurize food at given temperatures and thickness. Unless it's something that's supposed to go for days, like short ribs, try to aim for the minimum time to pasteurize the meat.

1 hour ago, BottleRocket said:

5 minutes ago, HouTex said:

It should be the same quality if you stay within the range. Going longer can make meat rubbery. I have that problem with chicken and sometimes it still comes out rubbery even at the low range. There are some tables on line that show the minimum time to pasteurize food at given temperatures and thickness. Unless it's something that's supposed to go for days, like short ribs, try to aim for the minimum time to pasteurize the meat.

I had the same question. I'm guessing some of the recipes that call for more marinades or things included in the bag might need a little more than the minimum time to impart more flavor?

1 hour ago, BottleRocket said:

There is a minimum time required for even given piece of meat to be safe to eat, but at some point you can start to get weird texturing.  The time is a function of the shape, size and thickness of the meat, the cooking temperature, and whether you are looking to pasteurize to the core or just the surface. There are apps that will allow you to input all of these parameters and will calculate the required cook time with specific pathogen reduction curves.  I think that https://www.seriouseats.com/ consistently has good sous vide write up.  They generally include explanations of the impact of time in their general protein pieces. The other big thing on time is that you don't want to cook anything longer than 2.5 hours or so at <130.

Uh, a little help perhaps. So I've got a cut up pork butt that is supposed to be cooking at 176 for eight hours. Came home to eat lunch and while I was here I noticed my temp was dipping to the mid 160's. I went to check what was going on and the bag had floated up against the Anova device. Figured it was blocking some intake and moved and clipped the bag with pork and goodies to the side of the plastic cooking tub. Tried to get things going again and the Anova is acting funny -- action doesn't seem same (though that just might be me) and the temp is dropping and will not start going the other way despite basically restarting the cook process with manual program.

Did I just fry this thing somehow? Thoughts?

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Uh, a little help perhaps. So I've got a cut up pork butt that is supposed to be cooking at 176 for eight hours. Came home to eat lunch and while I was here I noticed my temp was dipping to the mid 160's. I went to check what was going on and the bag had floated up against the Anova device. Figured it was blocking some intake and moved and clipped the bag with pork and goodies to the side of the plastic cooking tub. Tried to get things going again and the Anova is acting funny -- action doesn't seem same (though that just might be me) and the temp is dropping and will not start going the other way despite basically restarting the cook process with manual program.

Did I just fry this thing somehow? Thoughts?

I had something similar happen to mine once.  Lost temperature control.  Never happened again, and I use mine nearly once a week. Did you power cycle it? I'd unplug it and restart and see if that clears it up. You might be on to something that it has to do with borking a sensor temporarily. 

BTW, I use one of these for a cheap sous vide rack, the "prongs" screw on and off if needed based on size of what you are cooking and container:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TJTWR04

33 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I had something similar happen to mine once.  Lost temperature control.  Never happened again, and I use mine nearly once a week. Did you power cycle it? I'd unplug it and restart and see if that clears it up. You might be on to something that it has to do with borking a sensor temporarily. 

BTW, I use one of these for a cheap sous vide rack, the "prongs" screw on and off if needed based on size of what you are cooking and container:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TJTWR04

I unplugged it a couple of times hoping the "stored" settings would reset. Still wouldn't heat. I lowered the heat setting to 150 and it was circulating better but still didn't have any heat. (I also want to add that it took over an hour -- probably closer to 90 minutes -- to get the water up to 176 initially. After Googling, that appears to be abnormal so I wonder if I just have a lemon Anova. Just FYI -- I used a 4-gallon plastic food cambro initially.)

Traded emails with Anova and they've told me I have a defective product and send it back to Amazon. Have to say I'm rather impressed by the ease with which the customer support guy gave up hope of troubleshooting and just said ask for a new one. Very un-AT&T like.

Tried chicken again last night. Went from the freezer to 160 degree bath for one hour. Then I cut the thick breasts in half and seasoned with olive oil and Italian seasoning and seared them in a cast iron skillet to get some color.

Texture and flavor was excellent.

Do the minimum time possible. That much seasoning could be overpowering if you let it cook for high end of the time range. And not sure about the plastic issue.
I did it at 2 hours (due to concerns about food thickness), and the seasoning is fine. Not overpowering at all. The only issue has been that chicken thighs have so much collagen that, if you let them cool in the package, they glue back together. Have to tear the meat apart. Which isn't really an issue for tacos anyway.

Replacement Anova came from Amazon in one day. Fired it up and cooked two pork tenderloins for FIL's birthday last Fri. Guests raved though I think they cooked too long at 2 hours. Plus, I'd used my FoodSaver to seal them and they had a weird pattern imprinted on one side. I think I might just put those in Ziplocs next time.

Last night I bought a Yellowtail tuna steak at WF and just put that in Ziploc bag and cooked at 110 degrees for 38 minutes. I followed that with a 45-second sear on each side and then on each end. It was way too cooked through. It was a smaller steak, only 7 ounces or so and probably not thick enough for that much time in the bath.

That aha moment.  I had a buddy dry age a bone in rib loin.  He doesn't have a band saw so the steaks are about 2" think, at least.  Tried the first ones on the BGE and just couldn't get it right.  Now I have a sous vide.   I'll post pics.  The steaks were dry aged for 40 days.

For anyone that needs an easy meal for a group of people, should try a shrimp boil in the sous vide. Throw a bunch of shrimp in with old bay, garlic, and butter and you wind up with butter poached shrimp. Can have tails on or not-we actually liked the tails off but took about an hour and was damn tasty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

For anyone that needs an easy meal for a group of people, should try a shrimp boil in the sous vide. Throw a bunch of shrimp in with old bay, garlic, and butter and you wind up with butter poached shrimp. Can have tails on or not-we actually liked the tails off but took about an hour and was damn tasty. 

Sounds great. One hour cook at what temp?

EDIT: BTW, a bunch of people think it's a very bad idea to include garlic in sous vide cooks.

Edited by C-Man
Garlic

So I made a rump roast last week.

It turned out great.  We ate it for a couple of days.

I made sandwiches and tacos.

I cooked it for about 3 hours at 135.  I then Fried it in the pan on all sides.

Pro tip: you don’t really need food saver vacuum sealing for 90% of sous vide cooking. A simple ziploc and the water seal method is more than ample (and cheaper). Vacuum sealing is really best for prepping to freeze (then taking out and putting straight into bath when ready to cook). 

Pro tip: you don’t really need food saver vacuum sealing for 90% of sous vide cooking. A simple ziploc and the water seal method is more than ample (and cheaper). Vacuum sealing is really best for prepping to freeze (then taking out and putting straight into bath when ready to cook). 

Agreed. But I often go directly from the freezer to the sous vide with frozen chicken, chops, steaks, etc. It works great. I usually add about 15-30 min to the cooking time to account for the food being frozen.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Agreed. But I often go directly from the freezer to the sous vide with frozen chicken, chops, steaks, etc. It works great. I usually add about 15-30 min to the cooking time to account for the food being frozen.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I pre season and vacuum seal pork chops.  Go straight from freezer to dunk. 

Yeah, I'm using the Quart Freezer bags now with the water seal method. Works great.

24 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

dear sirs:

pics pls 

Sorry about that. Really pleased with the sear the clarified butter got me. Think I'll be using it exclusively (again) rather than oil. The char was impressive.

Would love to see adjusted times/temps for foods that go straight from the freezer into the sous vide bath?
  • Chicken breast
  • Tuna
  • Etc

Depends on thickness. I use 15-30 min based on how quickly the frozen food thaws. Heat transfers very well in water and the food is thawed in no time. The good news is that you have a fairly large window when using a sous vide.
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 2:30 PM, pepper brooks said:

Anyone ever dry rub a brisket, throw in some smoke, vacuum seal and then sous vide?  Might be an interesting experiment. 

I've sous vided then finished in a smoker.  Results were excellent.  Kosher salt and pepper only dry rub.  155 degrees for 36 hours or so.  Let cool all the way, rub additional salt/pepper.  Smoked for about 6 hours at 275.