Sous Vide Recipes and Shit

Just found this thread.  I have sous vide lots of stuff but I primarily (95%) use it for steak.

I got a Sansaire right around the time they were funding the Joule, which is how I learned about sous vide.  At the time, that and Anova were the only two kinds of 'stick' circulators on Amazon.  I say 'stick' because the Sansaire is more of a log.  It was 1100W though and cheaper than the Anova so I got it.  I also got one of those basic vacuum style Food Saver models pretty quickly because I hated doing the ziplock way.  I could never get it perfect and then it would float around.  Food Saver also made leftovers/reheating super easy.

For the vessel, because it was so unwieldy, the Sansaire needed something bigger than most traditional kitchen pots.  So I went with Rubbermaid stuff which was cheap and very functional.  I have since moved to the Lipavi stuff which is ridiculously expensive for what it is, but I love how you can get the lids tailored for whatever circulator you are using.

I seared on a chimney at first but wanted something faster and that I could do inside so I got a Searzall.  It's a very high cool factor but I mostly just do cast iron now.  Put some ghee on there until it starts to smoke then go.

My Sansaire got cracked in a fall last year, it would still work but you had to be very careful with it or it would fall apart.  So I got one of the Instant Pot Slims on sale for $70.  So much smaller.  800W vs 1100W but it has not been a problem.  My tap gets to 128F so the unit does not have much work to do to get to 135F, which is as high as I go with steak.

Last year I also upgraded my Food Saver to a chamber sealer, the Avid Armor USVX.  It's one of the cheapest chamber sealers but still a lot compared to a Food Saver.  100% worth it though...the seal you get with chamber vs vacuum is noticeably better and it handles liquids perfectly where vacuum sealers don't, at least not well.  It is awesome for marinades.  The bags are also cheaper because they don't need to have the channels on them like the vacuum sealers need.

Another thing I discovered last year was wildfork.com.  They have brick and mortars but they have a $30/year a service where they will next day any order over $35.   I've had orders get to my house in less than 24 hours but they pack with a shit ton of dry ice to the point where you could probably leave the box out on your porch for days and it would be fine.  Some prices are better than HEB, some aren't.  But, they also have some cuts and grades you can't (or I can't get at mine at least) get at HEB.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Chewbacca said:

Try 137 next time.  I know it sounds high, but it's amazing on ribeyes.  Wouldn't do it with other cuts.

Just did this (actually at 135) and it turned out way over.  Just a smidge over 2.5 hours in the bath.  Still very good, but almost well done.  Did I misunderstand something?

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just did this (actually at 135) and it turned out way over.  Just a smidge over 2.5 hours in the bath.  Still very good, but almost well done.  Did I misunderstand something?

I do the 135-137 temp as well for most steaks that I sous vide.  They always come out very pink/red.  How did you sear it?  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

You might have over-seared it?  Mine always come out pink and perfectly done.  There is so much fat in the ribeye that the higher temp helps to render more of it.  

Once you pull it out of the bath, pat it dry (so you can get a good sear) and rest on a rack for 10-15 min.  Then sear for ~1 min per side on a ripping hot cast iron.  

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

You might have over-seared it?  Mine always come out pink and perfectly done.  There is so much fat in the ribeye that the higher temp helps to render more of it.  

Once you pull it out of the bath, pat it dry (so you can get a good sear) and rest on a rack for 10-15 min.  Then sear for ~1 min per side on a ripping hot cast iron.  

I’ll have to try that.  I avoid ribeyes in SV because of the fat.  Filets get done to 127.

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I must've over-seared it.  Did one minute each side, then another minute on each for basting.  Worked great for 130.  Guess I'll bring it down to 1 minute each side if I go 135+ again.

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Chewbacca said:

Try 137 next time.  I know it sounds high, but it's amazing on ribeyes.  Wouldn't do it with other cuts.

On 2/5/2023 at 7:22 PM, Biff Tannen said:

On 2/6/2023 at 11:16 AM, HouTex said:

I do the 135-137 temp as well for most steaks that I sous vide.  They always come out very pink/red.  How did you sear it?  

On 2/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, Chewbacca said:

On 2/6/2023 at 12:11 PM, Upgrayedd said:

I’ll have to try that.  I avoid ribeyes in SV because of the fat.  Filets get done to 127.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:35 PM, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  Wouldn't do other cuts as high, but 137 is magic for ribeyes.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, I must've over-seared it.  Did one minute each side, then another minute on each for basting.  Worked great for 130.  Guess I'll bring it down to 1 minute each side if I go 135+ again.

I can't imagine going to 137 with a ribeye unless it was really thick and then refrigerated for several hours after water bath.  I did a 22 oz ribeye on Sunday (cut from full prime ribeye at costco to about 2 inches thick).  128 for 2 hours, then patted dry and put in the fridge for about an hour (waiting on brother-in-law to show up).  About a minute on each surface area in screaming hot iron skillet with avocado oil and butter, basting with the butter after first side was seared).  In all took about 3-4 minutes to sear completely.  

Came out a perfect rare+ to medium rare.  The thickness of the cut kept it from getting to full medium rare, but there was very little browning beyond the very edge (consistent color throughout the cut).

4 hours ago, stc said:

i tried a ribeye at 135 for 3 hours last week and it wasn't overcooked, but i also can't say i could tell a difference in the fat rendering. 

The temperature will dictate the color (doneness), not the length of time (once the meat has fully gotten to that temperature).  2 hours is probably sufficient for most cuts of ribeye, but if you go super thick (over 2") then you would want to add a little time to make sure it fully heats all the way through.  Length of time beyond that will only affect texture.  I think Kenji Lopez-Alt did something on this a while back that suggested fattier steak cuts don't improve after that time frame, and if they go too long the meat can take on a mealy texture.

ETA:

https://www.seriouseats.com/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak

Edited by DDD Dad

Just now, DDD Dad said:

The temperature will dictate the color (doneness), not the length of time (once the meat has fully gotten to that temperature).  2 hours is probably sufficient for most cuts of ribeye, but if you go super thick (over 2") then you would want to add a little time to make sure it fully heats all the way through.  Length of time beyond that will only affect texture.  I think Kenji Lopez-Alt did something on this a while back that suggested fattier steak cuts don't improve after that time frame, and if they go too long the meat can take on a mealy texture.

As someone who has fucked around with this a little bit, they can definitely take on a mealy texture if you leave them in the drink for too long.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

As someone who has fucked around with this a little bit, they can definitely take on a mealy texture if you leave them in the drink for too long.

That article I posted does a deep dive and is very informative.  It's probably already been posted in this thread.  His serious eats sous vide guides are excellent.  (although I've come to the conclusion that you don't need to rest steaks that have been cooked sous vide; you can cut and serve immediately after searing with no loss of moisture).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:16 AM, HouTex said:

I do 132, and then sear on cast iron.  Usually pretty perfect medium rare.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

That article I posted does a deep dive and is very informative.  It's probably already been posted in this thread.  His serious eats sous vide guides are excellent.  (although I've come to the conclusion that you don't need to rest steaks that have been cooked sous vide; you can cut and serve immediately after searing with no loss of moisture).

I’m an absolute amateur with a 15 handicap. I threw them in at lunch, went back to work, and slapped them on a smoking hot cast iron after getting home.  I’m vowing to improve this year.  It’s been a novelty appliance received as a gift to this point.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m an absolute amateur with a 15 handicap. I threw them in at lunch, went back to work, and slapped them on a smoking hot cast iron after getting home.  I’m vowing to improve this year.  It’s been a novelty appliance received as a gift to this point.

It’s the best way to cook steaks, foolproof

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/7/2024 at 9:42 PM, Sbbruin said:

It’s the best way to cook steaks, foolproof

I prefer reverse sear on the grill for a little more smoke flavor, but if I'm cooking steaks for a lot of people, I agree that SV is the way to go for the ease of getting it just right on the internal temp.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Gonna try the 137 club with a couple ribeyes tonight.

I'm thinking 2 hours, quick ice bath, pat dry, and sear over lump charcoal.

You don't need an ice bath.  Just pat them dry and let them rest for 10 min while the grill gets hot.

Lately I have mainly been using sous vide to reheat things-especially BBQ.  

I used to do steaks sous vide quite often but it seemed like the middle of the steak was never warm enough.  I typically would go 135-137 for at least two hours and more if the steak was frozen.  The texture of the steak is normal for the high end of medium rare.  I sear the steak several ways such as grilling on very high heat, cast iron and a torch.  No matter, it seems like the middle of the steak is rather cool.  I never do a cool water bath.  Anyone else have this problem?  I can get a medium rare steak at a Pappas Bros. or other good steak house and the middle is always very warm.  

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Lately I have mainly been using sous vide to reheat things-especially BBQ.  

I used to do steaks sous vide quite often but it seemed like the middle of the steak was never warm enough.  I typically would go 135-137 for at least two hours and more if the steak was frozen.  The texture of the steak is normal for the high end of medium rare.  I sear the steak several ways such as grilling on very high heat, cast iron and a torch.  No matter, it seems like the middle of the steak is rather cool.  I never do a cool water bath.  Anyone else have this problem?  I can get a medium rare steak at a Pappas Bros. or other good steak house and the middle is always very warm.  

No.  Quite the opposite.  I would get that doing a medium rare steak the traditional way (grill or cast iron), but sous vide gets that interior temp up to what I want.

Been sous viding for a few years now, foolproof way to make a perfect steak.  Recently moved to a new home, now have to cook on an electric range where before I had gas.  I could put a heavy Calphalon pan on my old gas range and get a great sear on a ribeye, not so much on an electric range.  Any recommendations for cookware on an electric range?

27 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Been sous viding for a few years now, foolproof way to make a perfect steak.  Recently moved to a new home, now have to cook on an electric range where before I had gas.  I could put a heavy Calphalon pan on my old gas range and get a great sear on a ribeye, not so much on an electric range.  Any recommendations for cookware on an electric range?

https://www.amazon.com/SEARZALL-Stainless-Steel-Culinary-Restaurants/dp/B00L2P0KNO

9 hours ago, Zone Read said:

I've seared just fine on electric. I use these: carbon steel or cast iron.

Technique helps a lot as well. I've been on electric for 2 years; here's what I've learned: preheat the pan for 10-15 minutes on medium-high, move it around every couple minutes, crank it to high for the last 2-3 minutes, and leave it on high while I sear.

Hmmm... preheating the pan in a 450 degree oven would work too. That would get the whole pan hot. I might try that next time.

33 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

Hmmm... preheating the pan in a 450 degree oven would work too. That would get the whole pan hot. I might try that next time.

This is the way if you're doing it on a stove top over electric.

What's really worked well for me (however I have cooked the steak) is to sear on the grill for about 70--90 seconds per side, then bring it inside and toss it in the pan with butter, rosemary, and garlic over medium-low heat to baste before serving.  

10 hours ago, Zone Read said:

I get my cast iron skillet smoking hot and it works fine. A lot of smoke in the place, but we open windows and turn on fans. I take the pan off the heat before I'm ready to pull the steaks, and that cuts down on the smoke some.