Sous Vide Recipes and Shit

Did sous vide halibut last night and it was a smashing success with everyone in the family.  put 2 fillets in with salt, pepper, lemon zest and butter and cooked at 126* for 45 min.  Squeezed some lemon juice over it while plating.  Came out fantastic, although I might go closer to 130* next time.  Even my 2 boys just scarfed it down.  Wife and both boys said it was their favorite preparation of halibut we have ever done.  Going to have to try salmon next.  I've got a lot of fish to eat.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 12:11 PM, Chewbacca said:

Did sous vide halibut last night and it was a smashing success with everyone in the family.  put 2 fillets in with salt, pepper, lemon zest and butter and cooked at 126* for 45 min.  Squeezed some lemon juice over it while plating.  Came out fantastic, although I might go closer to 130* next time.  Even my 2 boys just scarfed it down.  Wife and both boys said it was their favorite preparation of halibut we have ever done.  Going to have to try salmon next.  I've got a lot of fish to eat.

Took your tip and ran the exact same recipe.  Went over EXTREMELY well.

9_F652_BB2_CDCB_41_BD_9_A07_5_AB3_AD8_F2

9395_E110_C915_4508_89_B8_5990935_E7_F00

61001460_B249_43_FD_80_B8_DE9_AC817_EE53

• Like 2

I need to reheat 2 briskets in a couple of weeks that I made yesterday.  I have an anova sous vide, but the tub I have is not big enough for 1 brisket let alone 2.  Is there a container I can buy that will hold 2 briskets and that my anova can keep at 165?

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

I need to reheat 2 briskets in a couple of weeks that I made yesterday.  I have an anova sous vide, but the tub I have is not big enough for 1 brisket let alone 2.  Is there a container I can buy that will hold 2 briskets and that my anova can keep at 165?

Lots of people cut holes in the top of coolers to use them as sous vide cookers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Doing some experimenting today.  Working to replicate the egg toast at Apis. Its basically a deconstructed parisa.  The foundation is an egg toast, on top of which goes a little football of a simple steak tartar topped with a thin slice of cheddar and a thin slice of jalapeno.  It is perfect.  But first I need to get the egg toast foundation down.

Separated some eggs, dropped the yolks into a water bath at 148.  Once yolks were done, spread two on a piece of toast (I toasted dry on low with bagel setting in toaster first) and salted it. Then finished with a quick pan toasting in butter to soak up some butter goodness.  Spread the other on a parmesan crisp. Think I nailed it.  Might drop the temp 1 or two degrees.  This is a mighty fine as a snack or a breakfast accompaniment by itself but drop some tartare on top and it will be on point.

5_D637_C14_90_A1_4_C8_F_8_F9_C_1_C3200_A

A83_F89_C4_4_F61_49_DF_8_E73_0_F6_C44825

B8533537_538_F_4_B23_AB39_3_FF367_DFCACF

D2_B7_F0_BB_1949_49_BB_9_EDF_EDFA9_B8_B4

D141_D0_BE_243_A_48_F0_895_C_C73_DE6_D86

D068_BE12_4871_43_F4_B744_D1_A0_F270_C8_

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 10:52 AM, Chewbacca said:

Didn't get any pics, but I did pork chops last night and they were the best damn pork chops I've ever eaten.  Just amazingly tender and moist.  1 hour at 140* and then sear them off in cast iron.  I don't think I'll ever want to cook them any other way.

Yeah, pork chops remain the best thing I've done in the sous vide.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:51 PM, Anastasis said:

Doing some experimenting today.  Working to replicate the egg toast at Apis. Its basically a deconstructed parisa.  The foundation is an egg toast, on top of which goes a little football of a simple steak tartar topped with a thin slice of cheddar and a thin slice of jalapeno.  It is perfect.  But first I need to get the egg toast foundation down.

Separated some eggs, dropped the yolks into a water bath at 148.  Once yolks were done, spread two on a piece of toast (I toasted dry on low with bagel setting in toaster first) and salted it. Then finished with a quick pan toasting in butter to soak up some butter goodness.  Spread the other on a parmesan crisp. Think I nailed it.  Might drop the temp 1 or two degrees.  This is a mighty fine as a snack or a breakfast accompaniment by itself but drop some tartare on top and it will be on point.

5_D637_C14_90_A1_4_C8_F_8_F9_C_1_C3200_A

A83_F89_C4_4_F61_49_DF_8_E73_0_F6_C44825

B8533537_538_F_4_B23_AB39_3_FF367_DFCACF

D2_B7_F0_BB_1949_49_BB_9_EDF_EDFA9_B8_B4

D141_D0_BE_243_A_48_F0_895_C_C73_DE6_D86

D068_BE12_4871_43_F4_B744_D1_A0_F270_C8_

How long at 148 for the eggs?

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I think they ran for an hour give or take.  They were a little firm, which is why I said I might drop the temp maybe a degree or two, but as you see, they still spread relatively well. 

After reading this, I went and looked in the Anova app and there's a section for eggs -- hard-boiled, soft-boiled and poached. Says 145 degrees for 45 minutes for soft-boiled and poached.

Here is the definitive treatment on the subject imo: https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

I think 145 might be just a tad too runny, but maybe not. Will have to test further.  A couple degrees one way or the other makes a big difference on eggs in that range between 145-150.  

20131004-sous-vide-101-egg-chorizo-corn-

20131004-sous-vide-101-egg-chorizo-corn-

Just now, HouTex said:

I haven't tried eggs yet. The pictures I've seen show that the whites and yokes are better at different temperatures. I like my eggs fried over easy. I want the whites to be firm but the yokes to be runny. Not sure I can get that in my sous vide.

I think that the merit of SV with regards to eggs is soft boiled and poached eggs. You can hit them totally precise.  If you want a fried egg (yes everybody does), than fry an egg. If you want some stupid egg toast to put tartare on top of or the perfect soft/poached egg than sous vide.  That said, we also do big batches of hard boiled for chicken salad or the kids cause its easy. 

• Like 1

Just now, solamente73 said:

Repped for the pork and hatch chimichurri, but cucumbers?!

Didnt have the proper ingredients for a tomato cucumber salad or a greens based side so sliced some cukes and hit them with some salt. Kids were happy with a side of hummus to dip their cucumber slices in. Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Where do you guys get the containers pictured above for sous vide cooking?  I've been using a stock pot that we use for spaghetti and soups but something wider and a little bigger would be nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-Camwear-Polycarbonate-Storage-Container/dp/B001E0JM9A

also get some ping pong balls to insulate the top and keep evaporation in check:

https://www.amazon.com/KEVENZ-Advanced-Training-Practice-ping-pong/dp/B018JKE7F6

explanation:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/how-to-insulate-sous-vide-water-bath.html

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Is the rack just to keep the food suspended in the water and not on the bottom or side?

On 9/12/2018 at 4:39 PM, Anastasis said:

I ran that at 137 for 4-5 hours or so.  Might consider dropping it down a couple more degrees, to get closer to med rare. 

Picked a small pork roast from Trader Joe's that is only 1.6 pounds.. Since it's so small, I could get it done sooner than that, yes? Haven't really sous vide'd anything larger than a big steak, pork chop or pork tenderloin.

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Picked a small pork roast from Trader Joe's that is only 1.6 pounds.. Since it's so small, I could get it done sooner than that, yes? Haven't really sous vide'd anything larger than a big steak, pork chop or pork tenderloin.

TJ Pork tenderlion    134* for 2-2.5hrs    Chill, slice 1/4 - 1/2" slices, season and quick (like 45secs/side) sear ....   Green Tabasco sauce & veg of your choice...  one of my favorites

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

Friends have backed out coming over this weekend, I was going to at least smoke some ribs and sausage.

I am thawing out the ribs now.  I may throw the 2 vacuum packed ribs in a pot and cook them for 10 hours?  Then throw them on the Weber charcoal grill, instead of the smoker with wood chunks for an hr.

Anyone try something like that?  I will report back.  

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I input into Sous vide dash app to determine my cooking times. Assuming it was cylinder shaped what is the diameter.

It's oval-shaped and 4 inches across the width and 2.25 inches tall -- maybe double the diameter of a pork tenderloin.

So lets just put 2.5" in since its not a perfect cylinder and to err on the side of caution (thats what she said). @ 137 it tells me 2:21 to pasteurize with all pathogens reduced at core, and 3:49 to hit final core temp. @ 135 it tells me 2:37 to reduce pathogens to necessary level, and 3:48 to core temperature. I think I'd go 135 for 4h for med rare+ and sear whole roast well afterwards. 137 if you want something more medium (this is temp I used). I haven't gotten brave enough to try pork at the types of lower temps that should be possible like lower 130s. 

Edited by Anastasis

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Where is this app you speak of?

Looks like it is no longer available on the app store. This appears to be a similar app, but can't speak to it specifically.  Looks like it has been largely abandoned. The pictures of the interface look identical though. The reviews are hit and miss. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/polyscience-sous-vide-toolbox/id518731878?mt=8

Edited by Anastasis

18 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Has anyone reverse seared finish with the sous vide? Fish is one of the last things I haven't tried and going to do it tonight. Saw the halibut pics up above but wondering about how people have achieved a good crust without overcooking or a zall.

Reverse sear with something like pork chops is easy.  Doing it with halibut is much harder.  The fillets were falling apart when I took them out of the sous vide, so I elected to not do the sear for fear of ruining it.  I don't think it needs a sear, but with something like a searzall you would be able to nail it every time.  My wife and kids didn't think it needed a sear.  I think it would take it up another notch.

I used my anova a couple of weeks ago to reheat 2 briskets that I had vacuum sealed whole and frozen.  I used a 48 quart igloo.  It took around 2 hours to get tap water up to 165 and then I let the brisket in for 3 hours.  It was was good as if I had cooked them the same day.  It's definitely the way to reheat bbq.  If you have a cooler with a thin lid that you don't need, you can use a hole saw to cut out a hole for the anova.  I was using an old max cold cooler and the lid is so thick that I don't think the anova will be far enough in the water.  I may buy a cooler just for doing sous vide.  I covered mine with foil, but if you are able to close the cooler lid I think the water will heat up quite a bit faster.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...