Sous Vide Recipes and Shit

On 9/17/2018 at 8:59 AM, kevwun said:

I used my anova a couple of weeks ago to reheat 2 briskets that I had vacuum sealed whole and frozen.  I used a 48 quart igloo.  It took around 2 hours to get tap water up to 165 and then I let the brisket in for 3 hours.  It was was good as if I had cooked them the same day.  It's definitely the way to reheat bbq.  If you have a cooler with a thin lid that you don't need, you can use a hole saw to cut out a hole for the anova.  I was using an old max cold cooler and the lid is so thick that I don't think the anova will be far enough in the water.  I may buy a cooler just for doing sous vide.  I covered mine with foil, but if you are able to close the cooler lid I think the water will heat up quite a bit faster.

If you don't want to cut a hole in your cooler lid, here's what I did... After the elections are over, snag one of those political yard signs.  Most are made of Coroplast or plastic cardboard.  Trim a piece to fit inside the rim of the cooler and a hole for the Anova.  The corrugated nature of the plastic makes it a decent insulator and it's rigid enough if you also want to lay a towel over it as a further insulation. (I used this stuff to cover the frame and as the roof of my deer blind and had some left over...)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bluto said:

Have to imagine the cleanup factor on doing it SV is a selling point. Prob requires a roll of paper towels to degrease though. 

Maybe. I just put heavy duty foil on a sheet tray. Then when bacon is done, put on a paper-towel lined plate and dispose of the foil. (Sometimes I'll save the grease.)

• Hook 'Em 1

sous vide lets you cook the package until done, then refrigerate and heat/crisp later.  very convenient when you want 4 slices of bacon.  takes about as long to crisp it as it does to toast the bread and slice the tomato, and has a better texture than microwaving. 

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

sous vide lets you cook the package until done, then refrigerate and heat/crisp later.  very convenient when you want 4 slices of bacon.  takes about as long to crisp it as it does to toast the bread and slice the tomato, and has a better texture than microwaving. 

That makes sense. I don't generally heat up bacon for my BLT. If I do anything, I'll toss it on the skillet for a brief kiss.

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

are you duck of death?

Haha -- lulz. Guess that wasn't clear. I'll cook a whole pack of Wright's or HEB bacon and put in the refrigerator to be consumed over a week or so. When I got to make a BLT at some point during the week, I'll pull out some already-cooked bacon and just put it on the sandwich or maybe briefly warm it up on the skillet if I feel like it. (FTR, I don't dig on uncooked swine.)

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in the middle of attempting a sous vide turkey. I got the legs done yesterday (ice bath to fridge afterward) and will do the breast tonight. The legs let out a ton of excess moisture - probably because it was a butterball shot to hell with extra water. Is that going to cause major issues? Should I drain/re-bag before I reheat? 

I saw this on another forum while looking for big sous vide containers that have lids and decided to copy it since I found this exact cooler on Amazon for $30.  I also ordered some replacement hinges so I can add one to the larger lid section so it doesn't sag.  We are having a party for my boss' retirement next weekend and the weather looks to be shitty so I will be making the briskets this weekend and using my new cooler rig next weekend to reheat them.  The guy said a jigsaw worked well to cut the lid in half and you need a 2 3/8" hole saw for the anova hole.  Will report back when it's assembled.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/48qt-sous-vide-cooler-mod.279836/

Cooler
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016H9TC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hinges
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007L0FH0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=sittingelf-20&linkId=0cec0d9a54881f2452dc9d80611953be&language=en_US

Hole Saw
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DO4X6H2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21427193_265127180646435_121579109222590

Edited by kevwun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went back to the grill on a bone in strip the other day just to see how it compared... f that noise. I'll never choose grill over SV/pan sear again. I did a pretty damn good job nailing medium rare on the grill and it still was woefully inferior to my SV efforts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried my new sous vide the last two nights. First were thick pork chops. I just poured the seasoning in the bag instead of directly on the chops. Seared them on a cast iron skillet.  They were cooked perfectly but bland because of my seasoning mistake. Tonight i did boneless chicken breasts and made sure to season well. Finished them on a hot gas grill. Total success. Not sure why some are saying the chicken comes out rubbery. It was perfectly cooked and juicy. Looking forward to more things. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 6:31 PM, Mo Horn said:

I tried my new sous vide the last two nights. First were thick pork chops. I just poured the seasoning in the bag instead of directly on the chops. Seared them on a cast iron skillet.  They were cooked perfectly but bland because of my seasoning mistake. Tonight i did boneless chicken breasts and made sure to season well. Finished them on a hot gas grill. Total success. Not sure why some are saying the chicken comes out rubbery. It was perfectly cooked and juicy. Looking forward to more things. 

chicken breasts via Sous Vide are amazing...really chicken in general is fantastic via SV

On 9/11/2018 at 3:53 PM, C-Man said:

After reading this, I went and looked in the Anova app and there's a section for eggs -- hard-boiled, soft-boiled and poached. Says 145 degrees for 45 minutes for soft-boiled and poached.

On 9/11/2018 at 4:03 PM, Anastasis said:

Here is the definitive treatment on the subject imo: https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

I think 145 might be just a tad too runny, but maybe not. Will have to test further.  A couple degrees one way or the other makes a big difference on eggs in that range between 145-150.  

20131004-sous-vide-101-egg-chorizo-corn-

20131004-sous-vide-101-egg-chorizo-corn-

my friends...

IMG-3261.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Loco said:

why is the asparagus reverse circumcised?

90% aesthetics, 10% greater penetration of butter and aromatics into the stalk meat under the skin (all the way to tip) so that every bite is reminiscent of biting into a soufflé. 

1 hour ago, sidis said:

90% aesthetics, 10% greater penetration of butter and aromatics into the stalk meat under the skin (all the way to tip) so that every bite is reminiscent of biting into a soufflé. 

Is that just a regular hollandaise? What's the other syrupy-looking stuff? And I'm curious about the asparagus.

41 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Is that just a regular hollandaise?

yeah...ish.

41 minutes ago, C-Man said:

What's the other syrupy-looking stuff?

black truffle and foie gras "puree" that was used to make a langoustine dish the day before.  egg yolk running over it.  basically, your run of the mill steel shank presentation.

44 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Is that just a regular hollandaise? What's the other syrupy-looking stuff? And I'm curious about the asparagus. 

asparagus is sous vide with butter, parsley, lemon, and lavender.  use a l'econome peeler to shave down the scale leaves on the skin...then use a pairing knife and l'econome peeler to create the ends (this takes a lot of practice to get right - totally not worth it).  water at 165 f.  22-25 mins if thick and distinguished like slider's johnson (see above)...closer to 15-18 of crappy thin grocery store spears.  immediate and quick ice bath if you want to vivid green coloring.

too much work honestly unless you have occasion to do it.  favorite prep of asparagus now is shaving the skin and big pot blanching it, then hit with some high quality olive oil and salt/pepper in the oven for just a couple of minutes.  comes out looking like below (internet picture):

2228bc5570c81aba4ee0082a13330f2e.jpg

• Like 2

How long did you have the chicken in the water bath? Sometimes mine turn out great and other times it becomes rubbery. My best results for chicken breasts come when I do it for the minimum time and taking it from the freezer directly to the sous vide also seems to make it rubbery.

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

How long did you have the chicken in the water bath? Sometimes mine turn out great and other times it becomes rubbery. My best results for chicken breasts come when I do it for the minimum time and taking it from the freezer directly to the sous vide also seems to make it rubbery.

It was thawed and it was in for 90 minutes. The temp was 149.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, Sbbruin said:

Did halibut last night. Did it about 131, and should have gone 127. A little firmer than I would have liked but otherwise awesome. Took a bite before taking a finished pic.
0324ddb38799734bb33162d61eceb608.jpg
47ca101fa0621e250a23fb468a55debc.jpg
965b1c20b04188f82334dc966b1515c3.jpg

that looks amazing man. i really need to SV some halibut (one of my favorite fish)

• 2 weeks later...

Did a London Broil for the first time. Put a chimichurri rub on it along with fresh garlic. Put it in a Ziploc with olive oil. In the water for 7 hours at 132 degrees. Seared it in olive oil and butter and poured the drippings from the bag in the pan.  Most tender London Broil I've ever had and perfectly medium rare. 

• 4 weeks later...