I Belize we need this topic....

Reagan1k

31 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'm with cooter on this.   I can't imagine paying $30 let alone $50 for a meal in Belize.    Unless there is some 5 star resort in Palencia that is flying in caviar and wagyu beef.   Sure hope huge isn't paying that for some fish tacos, beans, and flapjacks. 

Bonefish Grille

singingsands.com/placencia-belize-restaurant/

3 adults 1 kid, multiple cocktails and it was under $100.  We ate at all the best restaurants in the area and it was never more than $100.

Compare that to Cabo where everything is a billion dollars.  I was being generous.  Its inexpensive for fabulous food and drink, I will leave it at that.

19 minutes ago, huge said:

singingsands.com/placencia-belize-restaurant/

yeah definitely way out of line from what I'm used to eating but then again I only go to San Pedro.  Now that I think of it I pay $300 to catch 3-4 days worth of fish so that probably equals about $30 a meal anyway

Edited by midtown

6 hours ago, midtown said:

yeah definitely way out of line from what I'm used to eating but then again I only go to San Pedro.  Now that I think of it I pay $300 to catch 3-4 days worth of fish so that probably equals about $30 a meal anyway

$300 for catching fish anywhere is a steal.  Assume this is reef catch and not offshore?

• 2 weeks later...

We're going to Belize late June through early July.  Trying to decide between San Pedro and Placencia.  I've been to San Pedro once and the GF and the couple we're going with have been there numerous times.  None of us have been to Placencia.

I'm semi leaning to Placencia to explore a different place, but I really enjoyed San Pedro.

I've read through some of the thread but figured I'd ask opinions on what I should choose (or at least get to recommend to our group)...

On 5/14/2022 at 1:07 PM, Ag with kids said:

We're going to Belize late June through early July.  Trying to decide between San Pedro and Placencia.  I've been to San Pedro once and the GF and the couple we're going with have been there numerous times.  None of us have been to Placencia.

I'm semi leaning to Placencia to explore a different place, but I really enjoyed San Pedro.

I've read through some of the thread but figured I'd ask opinions on what I should choose (or at least get to recommend to our group)...

why not both? 

• 1 month later...

Going to be there next Wednesday on our way to Ambergris...how long is the processing through customs before we can get on Tropic Air?

Don't mind hanging out at Jets but would still like to get to AC ASAP.  Trying to book my TA flight right now.  An hour should be good, right?  or is the covid BS adding time?

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

Going to be there next Wednesday on our way to Ambergris...how long is the processing through customs before we can get on Tropic Air?

Don't mind hanging out at Jets but would still like to get to AC ASAP.  Trying to book my TA flight right now.  An hour should be good, right?  or is the covid BS adding time?

take cash to Jets.  No cards accepted.

An hour should be good. Just sit up front if on SWA. It’ll be the only flight arriving at that time so you just have to beat your fellow passengers to customs.

When we flew on SWA 5 years ago, we were late to the connection and had to sit in the last row. Turned out they also had a staircase for the rear door and we also deplaned from the rear exit. As a result, we were first off the plane were through customs in 5 minutes.

Health and customs was fast. Probably 30 mins. No one asked about the health insurance. Not a single question from immigration. Stamp stamp and customs just asked if we had been here before. The seaweed is bad. Headed out to fish today. My girl is digging the vibe here and showed me her appreciation on the balcony last night

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Did 7 nights a couple weeks ago. Flew into PGIA and caught a shuttle to our resort outside San Ignacio. Very humid this time of year, so you need a place with AC. 4 nights in Cayo District. 

ACTUN TUNICHIL MUKNAL (ATM) cave is unbelievable and absolutely worth the physically demanding effort. Just unreal. 

XUNANTUNICH - beautiful Mayan ruins where you can see into Guatemala from the top. 

20220815_092732.thumb.jpg.9c6a86dc6d23df317ad8e7b9488402ca.jpg

Macal River - did a river pontoon relaxing, swimming, spotting crocodiles, jumping off waterfalls, grilling on the boat. 

20220816_122956.thumb.jpg.5a523921bfc028d67fc592896974eacf.jpg

Then we took a van down the Hummingbird Highway to Placencia. 3 nights there at Brisa Oceano. Took a skiff out to Caye Ranguana (private Island) and did some snorkeling on the reef. 

20220819_144121.thumb.jpg.f8c7caa80854993893b4bf2b77524c43.jpg

Best meal in the country was Maya Beach Bistro. It's lobster season. 

20220819_181237.thumb.jpg.3f86fa189f220fcee51a04a6b97b84f9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

• 3 months later...
Not happy about Margaritaville opening in San Pedro.  And Exotic Caye beach resort and Crazy Canucks are gone with a Marriott coming.  Watched the VY national championship there.  Looks like Caye Caulker is in my future.

Golf cart traffic through the middle of town was crazy 7+ years ago back when Secret Beach had zero amenities other than a dilapidated dock. Can’t imagine what it’s going to be like with so much more hotel space.

As of this year (I was there twice) traffic is up but still not bad.  Of course I think covid is still affecting Belize tourism.  Margaritaville is north of the bridge so other than getting them to their resort their path to secret beach won't involve town.    With both Marriott and Hilton south of the airport I'm thinking they will eventually have something on the south for that traffic.  But as of now I agree that there a flood of people going from the south to secret.   Maybe they will start a daily ferry to avoid so much traffic in town.   As long as Belize travel involves being in and around locals I expect that will keep a good portion of the typical Mexico tourist away.  The ones that only wants to be at an all inclusive with other Americans and eat burgers and pizza at the buffet and post Instagram photos and declare themselves world travelers. 

Edited by midtown

• 1 month later...

I've always just stayed near Palapa Bar. 6 times and I've either stayed at blue Tang or Tradewinds which is next door. Can walk to everything I need. Grocery. Sandy Toes. Crab races. Chicken drop. And everything in town. And Tino my fishing guide docks his boat Chuck and robbies. I also feel like you can give your teens free range in that area.

I also like being 5 mins from the airport. Both coming and going.

I think things are pretty quiet south and closer to some of the tougher parts of San Pedro. But I hear good things about Ramons Village. They seem to have their own set of bars and restaurants.

North of the bridge is just too far from what I like to do. You can go as far as you are willing to. There just aren't a lot of restaurants etc But if you're goal is just to be around your group all good

• 1 month later...

The other couple we are going with got in yesterday. They hit Truck Stop and Crocs and are staying at Marbucks. We shove off later this morning for a week and are now staying much further north (I bowed out of the planning process and left it to my wife and her brother) for the first half of the week, then moving to San Ignacio.

My other friend’s big tip was watch the sun. He’s a big tennis player and lives outside and his legs still got fried.

• Hook 'Em 1

Flying back to BZE and then driving on Thursday. Will do.

The forecast is 20 mph sustained winds with 30 mph gusts all week on AC, which isn’t awesome. I expect a rough ride out to snorkel/dive this morning.

Birria tacos at Truck Stop were good for lunch. 303 was a good dinner spot (obviously owned by Colorado expats) and everyone’s food was pretty good except mine. They don’t know what coconut shrimp are. Most of the island cocktails I’ve had were meh so I may switch back to beer or more simple concoctions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh and they had a dog sniffing every bag at the Belize airport, so be aware of that if it applies. I probably could have had a vape or gummies in my carry on no problem. I chose not to try it since it was my first trip here. 10g or less is legal but you can’t buy, sell, or smoke in public.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh yeah, our Delta flight deplaned from front and rear, which someone else mentioned. We were in exit row which was worst case scenario. Customs was packed but our AirBnb host hooked us up with a guy who walked us right past the crowd (to lots of glares) which was great.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not a big cocktail kind of guy (I normally just drink my 11.2 oz Belikens) but like cooter when I've been in the water and need to get that salt water out a cocktail hits the spot.  All the mixed drinks at Palapa are good and strong.  

I have never in all my visits seen a dog nor have I ever even had my bags opened.  I carry on so I am usually one of the first few in customs even if I am not in the front at immigration.   Once I was asked a close ended question.  Do you have only clothes in your bag?   Yes and that was that. 

Edited by midtown

On 2/5/2023 at 3:19 PM, midtown said:

I've always just stayed near Palapa Bar. 6 times and I've either stayed at blue Tang or Tradewinds which is next door. Can walk to everything I need. Grocery. Sandy Toes. Crab races. Chicken drop. And everything in town. And Tino my fishing guide docks his boat Chuck and robbies. I also feel like you can give your teens free range in that area.

I also like being 5 mins from the airport. Both coming and going.

I think things are pretty quiet south and closer to some of the tougher parts of San Pedro. But I hear good things about Ramons Village. They seem to have their own set of bars and restaurants.

North of the bridge is just too far from what I like to do. You can go as far as you are willing to. There just aren't a lot of restaurants etc But if you're goal is just to be around your group all good

I was really amused at my first stay at the Blue Tang.  Right up the street were two markets, across from one another.  One run by an Asian dude, the other by an Arab.  I felt right at "home". 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I was really amused at my first stay at the Blue Tang.  Right up the street were two markets, across from one another.  One run by an Asian dude, the other by an Arab.  I felt right at "home". 

Pretty sure you were the blue tang recommender.   Ritchies (asian) and Caye Mart (arab).  For some reason I end up in the Caye Mart unless Im buying more cooking stuff.  Right around the corner going north is a better fruit/veggie stand FYI.  Tino recommended it. 

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Flying back to BZE and then driving on Thursday. Will do.

The forecast is 20 mph sustained winds with 30 mph gusts all week on AC, which isn’t awesome. I expect a rough ride out to snorkel/dive this morning.

Birria tacos at Truck Stop were good for lunch. 303 was a good dinner spot (obviously owned by Colorado expats) and everyone’s food was pretty good except mine. They don’t know what coconut shrimp are. Most of the island cocktails I’ve had were meh so I may switch back to beer or more simple concoctions.

We are just north of you this week, hanging in Bacalar, Mahahual and Xcalak. Gonna be windy as fuck all week. No mosquitos though.

image.png.230f945c79b393d0cd280aa42e17c932.png

bacalar 4-2-23.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Heading into town for crab races.

Just a heads up that people will name their crabs the most vulgar things and the ring master will call every single name out.   "slimy pussy" and "cock and balls" etc  

Just a heads up that people will name their crabs the most vulgar things and the ring master will call every single name out.   "slimy pussy" and "cock and balls" etc  

Yeah. It was great. My 13 and 16 year olds thought it was hilarious, and we talked to him and his wife for a bit afterward. My daughter cleaned up on the betting.

I got way too drunk and have been feeling it all day. Aji is a pretty awesome restaurant though.

The wind helps keep the sargassum smell down:

7985f54dac724b6442df8b53ad1e1092.jpg

Cafe Sol right by our condo was really good for breakfast, delicious Jonny Cake breakfast sammiches for $5 Belize. Burritos, waffles, pancakes etc and pretty good coffee.

Sol Cafe
https://maps.app.goo.gl/MxqcJokqo9CoSA9b9?g_st=ic

According to our VRBO host, Easter in Belize is a throw down. She said the party will be going all day and night starting Friday to Sunday, and the festival will be right by our house. Sounds fun.

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Cafe Sol right by our condo was really good for breakfast, delicious Jonny Cake breakfast sammiches for $5 Belize. Burritos, waffles, pancakes etc and pretty good coffee.

Sol Cafe
https://maps.app.goo.gl/MxqcJokqo9CoSA9b9?g_st=ic

According to our VRBO host, Easter in Belize is a throw down. She said the party will be going all day and night starting Friday to Sunday, and the festival will be right by our house. Sounds fun.

Vit-Johnny-Hug.jpg?format=1000w

• Like 1

ATM cave is completely incredible, a must do. Hike in, cross a river three times (once swimming) and then literally swim into the cave. Half mile in half mile out. Lots of swimming and climbing and squeezing through spaces. Inches away from thousand year old artifacts and bones.

There was a spot where you had to fit your head and neck through just above the water and our guide said “watch your jugular”

My watch says it was about 4.5 miles total. About a 6.5 hour excursion. No pics, cameras are forbidden.

• Like 1