How Is That Chain Still Open?

On 8/23/2021 at 3:11 PM, Lobo said:

I also don't get the Pok-E-Jo's survival.  It's better than Bill Miller, but that ain't saying much.  But there is one not far from my house by the old Toys 'R Us on South Lamar.  I've never seen more 2 cars at a time there, yet it remains fully open year after year.  I don't get it.  

Not that we go there often, but my wife still loves their chopped beef sandwich, and every now and then we'll stop in for lunch when out running errands.  Get a chopped beef, iced tea, and a side of the baked potato casserole, and it ain't a bad lunch.  Nothing there is world-class, but it's good enough.  Their sausage is actually pretty good.

23 hours ago, utee94 said:

We had a Pizza Inn on Burnet Road near Rockwood when I was growing up back in the 70s/80s but I haven't seen one in years.  They did an evening buffet I think one night per week, Tuesdays?  I remember loving it, but I was just a kid so...

And I also loved Godfather's.  And Shakey's.  But they were further away.

Last Godfather's I was in was 20 years ago.....working a case in Wichita, Kansas.  Needed to leave the document warehouse to grab lunch in a nearby stripmall, Godfather's had a lunch buffet.  My team went it.  Pizza was actually pretty good -- I remember when it was a childhood favorite.  BUT, this was a stripmall near a neighborhood, and the daytime lunch crowd obviously leaned heavily towards moms with little kids.  So, the owner had a clown come in.  A completely freaky, scary-as-shit clown, with a cartoonish voice that I can mimic to this day and still gives me nightmares.  Thanks for bringing it up, fuckface.

21 hours ago, elfenix said:

they started going downhill about the same time they got rid of the rotisserie chickens, iirc.  used to kill a cabana bowl on the reg. 

Yeah.....the chicken flameante was actually freaking fantastic.  Once they dumped that, everything else became assembly line meh.  That said, at the end of the winter freeze, when the power finally came back on in our house, we had heat, and we were utterly exhausted and strung out, we decided we wanted hot food.  Managed to get to the TC drive thru.  Started to order, and the guy said "we don't have most of the menu right now."  Okay, what do you have?  "We have beef tacos, and quesadillas."  Cool...we'll take a bunch of those.  

My family still talks about how it was one of the best dinners we've ever had in our lives.  I have no idea if the food was really that good.  It almost certainly wasn't.  But in that moment, hot food, around our own table, in a warm house....it was one of the most beautiful things ever.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not that we go there often, but my wife still loves their chopped beef sandwich, and every now and then we'll stop in for lunch when out running errands.  Get a chopped beef, iced tea, and a side of the baked potato casserole, and it ain't a bad lunch.  Nothing there is world-class, but it's good enough.  Their sausage is actually pretty good.

Yeah, for the record---I think it's a solid BBQ Meal.  Like a Rudy's, I don't ever think to go there but if somebody got it for our off-site lunch meeting or something, I will happily dig in.  Sides and pickles are good as well.  But for years, that location on Lamar at Brodie Oaks.  It's been deader than dead (I'd drive by weekly and see maybe 2 cars and not a soul inside except behind the counter, one delivery truck out back).  Long before Covid.  But must be used as a catering kitchen as stated above.  That USED to be a very expensive piece of land to lease out just to cook shit that you can cook out in Buda or Hutto and keep warm until delivery.  But now I bet it's damn cheap.  Whole thing is going bye bye in a year or two anyway. 

Another one that's kind of a mixed bag speaking of locations Zoe's.  One by our house just has a non-stop stream of people picking up catering/to-go orders all damn day.  And each ticket, I bet averages $100+.  Plus some in-store diners.  But then their one on Brodie at Sunset Valley which actually had more activity, IMHO.  Just closed down and is being turned into another fast-casual place.  That Mighty Fine there on Brodie never has a single fucking person in it when I'm running errands down there before Covid/post-shutdown.  Do they catering as well because I don't know how they are making their nut?  $12 burger and fries that is good, but not great.  Good lunch crowd, almost no dinner crowd because nobody runs errands with the kids on Brodie at 8pm.  And no alcohol sales.  I don't know how they make their nut.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, for the record---I think it's a solid BBQ Meal.  Like a Rudy's, I don't ever think to go there but if somebody got it for our off-site lunch meeting or something, I will happily dig in.  Sides and pickles are good as well.  But for years, that location on Lamar at Brodie Oaks.  It's been deader than dead (I'd drive by weekly and see maybe 2 cars and not a soul inside except behind the counter, one delivery truck out back).  Long before Covid.  But must be used as a catering kitchen as stated above.  That USED to be a very expensive piece of land to lease out just to cook shit that you can cook out in Buda or Hutto and keep warm until delivery.  But now I bet it's damn cheap.  Whole thing is going bye bye in a year or two anyway. 

Another one that's kind of a mixed bag speaking of locations Zoe's.  One by our house just has a non-stop stream of people picking up catering/to-go orders all damn day.  And each ticket, I bet averages $100+.  Plus some in-store diners.  But then their one on Brodie at Sunset Valley which actually had more activity, IMHO.  Just closed down and is being turned into another fast-casual place.  That Mighty Fine there on Brodie never has a single fucking person in it when I'm running errands down there before Covid/post-shutdown.  Do they catering as well because I don't know how they are making their nut?  $12 burger and fries that is good, but not great.  Good lunch crowd, almost no dinner crowd because nobody runs errands with the kids on Brodie at 8pm.  And no alcohol sales.  I don't know how they make their nut.  

Zoe's is good stuff if you know your way around their menu. I called in probably half a dozen work lunches from there at a previous job. Guessing they clean up on to go orders - although the location in Dallas that I frequented was always packed inside as well. 

23 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

My submission sadly would be Taco Cabana. I remember it being good back when I was young. In the Sean Elliott days. Even in college I thought it was fine. The last couple times I've dared to stop there it was God awful.

23 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Yadav Enterprises, Inc. is a restaurant company operating close to 550 locations throughout Northern California, Texas and sixteen other states. Yadav is the owner and operator of Taco Cabana®, the largest Jack in the Box® franchisee, one of the largest Denny's® franchisees, the largest TGI Friday's® franchisee and a significant investor in the ownership group of TGI Friday's® global parent company, a franchisee of El Pollo Loco® and Corner Bakery Cafe®.

This company is a purveyor of garbage. It will ruin whatever was left in Taco Cabana 

zoe's changed when they moved corporate from alabama to irving.  used to kill a chicken kebab plate about 3x a month.  haven't been back in years despite it being the closest place to me. 

pollo loco has been pretty legit.  in the before times i'd get a $5 combo and a taco, hit up the salsa bar, and have a pretty big lunch for under $7. 

Edited by elfenix

24 minutes ago, elfenix said:

zoe's changed when they moved corporate from alabama to irving.  used to kill a chicken kebab plate about 3x a month.  haven't been back in years despite it being the closest place to me. 

When was that? Probably haven't ate there in a couple years.

I'd still grab a pie from there if they were open. Regular food was pretty meh but they had the best chocolate cream pie. Nothing fancy, just a regular crust (but not like the waxy pre-made crap that a bunch of places use), chilled chocolate cream, and a light top of whipped cream (never liked the towering meringue style) with some small chocolate shavings to give it a little extra chocolaty goodness.

Their chicken pot pie (the one served at the restaurant) was pretty legit. Food was fine overall. Typical diner food

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

pollo loco has been pretty legit.  in the before times i'd get a $5 combo and a taco, hit up the salsa bar, and have a pretty big lunch for under $7. 

Can we talk about your username or has that been done? Not sure how El Fenix is still a thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Can we talk about your username or has that been done? Not sure how El Fenix is still a thing.

In my almost 6 years in Dallas I never ate at El Fenix. 

I'd say the one downtown is more of an institution than a chain, though. How many locations are even left? (Looks like quite a few - a lot of suburban outposts)

Edited by ztejas

On 8/23/2021 at 2:45 PM, gsoda3 said:

image.png.5f82f139f3f260fc002cde3d848f5559.png

all of the fast food chains stopped using pink slime in the early 2010s.  i'm sure the current product undergoes a tenderization and preservation process but it is real chicken and not a mechanically separated slurry.  

as for the marie callender's products, i wouldn't be surprised if they take breast scraps and bind them using meat glue before cutting the shapes and tenderizing/preserving them.  the ingredients on their labels are some of the same used in binders.  but also here they're not mechanically separating and grinding.  

You mean the slime isn’t pink anymore? Are you seriously quoting the McDonald’s marketing dept. as to what’s in their processed chicken? Do you work in the McDonald’s marketing dept.? Big corporate chains don’t improve quality over time. Go buy a chicken breast sometime. Buy an order of McNuggets. Try to reproduce a McNugget from your real chicken breast. Good luck with that.

I forget what chain it was but I saw a commercial for some fast food place selling a chicken sandwich that showed a cross section of a disc of their so-called chicken breast and all the ‘fibers’ were aligned vertically, running from top-to-bottom, not side-to-side. You can’t make a chicken patty that way from an actual chicken breast. And I’ll bet that if you bought a dozen of those sandwiches and laid every single patty side-by-side, each would have the same dimensions and weigh exactly the same. 

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'd say the one downtown is more of an institution than a chain, though. How many locations are even left? (Looks like quite a few - a lot of suburban outposts)

Still in business on Camp Bowie here in Cowtown.  Cheese enchilada dinner special on Wednesday gets me twice a month, but many other excellent options in FW.

• 1 year later...
On 8/24/2021 at 4:02 PM, elfenix said:

Another instance of a better restaurant getting bought out by a worse/larger competitor, Cava. I guess they’re both Mediterranean restaurants, but Cava is all wraps and bowls. Pass.

The best performing Zoe’s locations were converted to Cava,but they closed a lot of locations here in Houston. The last Zoe’s in Texas was in San Felipe. They closed in mid February.

They dropped beef and lamb immediately after the acquisition. I knew it over then. 

I’d eat Zoe’s Greek salad and grilled chicken every other weekday for years. It was under $6. 

Zoe’s favorites: 

Greek dressing. Down to 2.5 bottles

Greek salad and chicken

Lamb meatballs with spicy red sauce 

Beef kabobs 

Chilled Cauliflower rice and spicy red sauce

Chilled potato salad

White beans 

And of course the GOAT pasta salad 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stop. Stop right there.
El Fenix was great once upon a time.
Margs are good but food is subpar even at the original location you reference.

I give my outlaws crap because they always wanted to eat there when my wife and I started dating. I joked that they drove in from Ferris and found the first Mexican restaurant they could find and said” this is great!”

We eat at El Fenix at least once a month. It is always packed. All of them are. It is my earliest restaurant memory from around 62.

I also have an El Chico a few minutes away. I grab lunch there all the time.

Generally it’s cheese enchiladas, soft cheese tacos, tamales, crispy beef tacos, rice beans at both.

We eat at El Fenix at least once a month. It is always packed. All of them are. It is my earliest restaurant memory from around 62.

I also have an El Chico a few minutes away. I grab lunch there all the time.

Generally it’s cheese enchiladas, soft cheese tacos, tamales, crispy beef tacos, rice beans at both.

Chili’s is always packed too, it doesn’t mean that’s a good decision.

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I would murder someone for the El Chico nachos of my younger days.

Not a chain, but a particular Mexican restaurant owned by a lady named Karla that changed locations over 30 years but consistently turned out top notch food. Kept basically the same kitchen staff. Started at Jolly Truck Stop, moved to Alvord TS, then Graham. The Alvord years were glorious. Their fajita nachos ruled.

Edited by RPM

Had an office manager bring in lunch for a business meeting recently. She decided on Panera. How is this place in business? Every single thing tastes the same - like chewable cardboard. Bland nothingness. Hell, even their commercials harken to generic blandness.

I don't know if "Corner Bakery" is still around but they had the same problem. These places are like magnets to office managers when a boss tells them, "hey, do you mind getting some lunch brought in for this meeting?" The current one was told to scratch these places off of the list. You figure telling them, "get whatever you want as well" would incent them to order something good, like fajitas, but, no, the simple ease of ordering a box of half-sandwiches, bone dry, and some plain potato chips is a siren song, apparently.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I worked at one.  Great fajitas.

The single worst tex-mex I have ever had was at an El Chico in Lufkin around 1998. I've never been to one since and it is stunning that they still exist. I've always thought that, tex-mex, like pussy, holds to the rule of "the worst I've ever had was so good I couldn't stand it", but then I remember that El Chico and On the Border are still functioning restaurants on this planet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Had an office manager bring in lunch for a business meeting recently. She decided on Panera. How is this place in business? Every single thing tastes the same - like chewable cardboard. Bland nothingness. Hell, even their commercials harken to generic blandness.

I don't know if "Corner Bakery" is still around but they had the same problem. These places are like magnets to office managers when a boss tells them, "hey, do you mind getting some lunch brought in for this meeting?" The current one was told to scratch these places off of the list. You figure telling them, "get whatever you want as well" would incent them to order something good, like fajitas, but, no, the simple ease of ordering a box of half-sandwiches, bone dry, and some plain potato chips is a siren song, apparently.

The single worst tex-mex I have ever had was at an El Chico in Lufkin around 1998. I've never been to one since and it is stunning that they still exist. I've always thought that, tex-mex, like pussy, holds to the rule of "the worst I've ever had was so good I couldn't stand it", but then I remember that El Chico and On the Border are still functioning restaurants on this planet. 

Fuck Panera for a million reasons.   Don’t patronize them

I like OTB’s chips and salsa. So…there’s that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

There was one in suburban Des Moines when I lived there.  We'd go for happy hour sometimes because margaritas were stupid cheap and the chips and salsa were definitely fine.  Never actually ate there, but it didn't look good.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When I was at Texas and living up on the northwest side of town, a bunch of us would go regularly to the Friday's in the Arboretum and play the trivia game after we got off work at the restaurants. There was also an OTB in that same enclave of restaurants as well as a Dan McClusky's (RIP).

Every now and then if I wasn't working an evening shift, some female would lure me/us to a happy hour at OTB. I tried to eat some of the appetizers on one of those visits and it was some of the worst crap I've eaten. Never again. But, hey, that was 25+ years ago. Maybe they've upped their game or something. I think there's a reason the franchise didn't do well in Houston and Austin though.

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Panera started in St Louis...possibly the most bland city in America, so that makes sense. I used to have to go to St Louis regularly for work, and the sales rep that lived there always wanted to meet at "BreadCo", as she called it. You could make better sandwiches from the HEB bakery and deli aisle. They make an okay breakfast, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Panera started in St Louis...possibly the most bland city in America, so that makes sense. I used to have to go to St Louis regularly for work, and the sales rep that lived there always wanted to meet at "BreadCo", as she called it. You could make better sandwiches from the HEB bakery and deli aisle. They make an okay breakfast, though. 

Tell me you've never been to Sioux Falls without telling you've never been to Sioux Falls.

But I also don't really get the Panera appeal.  I guess their soup's ok?

Edited by Al_4_ISU

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Tell me you've never been to Sioux Falls without telling you've never been to Sioux Falls.

But I also don't really get the Panera appeal.  I guess their soup's ok?

I haven't been to a Panera in a couple of years, but I seem to remember liking their black bean soup. I think it had decent nutritional numbers too, but for some reason I think my wife told me they stopped making it.

The first thing I tell a new assistant when I hire them is that ordering Jason's Deli, Panera, etc for lunch is a fireable offense. No one likes dry tasteless sandwiches. It's just a lazy order because they can order a big ass box of sandwiches and they deliver.

I do not understand how Quiznos failed and Subway thrived. I used to crush $5 footlongs all day, (chicken bacon ranch or southwest onion chicken teriyaki). Went the other day and it was truly inedible. Now I am blessed to have a Quiznos in the Woodlands still and it is consistently good every single time. I know people bitch about the prices there but they are basically the exact same price as subways overpriced garbage. Baja chicken, chicken carbonara, peppercorn steakhouse, or my personal favorite is the french dip. There are only 5 locations in greater Houston compared to the 10 subways just within 3 miles of my zip code. Yes I know Jersey mikes and firehouse are better than both but still dammit

• Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I haven't been to a Panera in a couple of years, but I seem to remember liking their black bean soup. I think it had decent nutritional numbers too, but for some reason I think my wife told me they stopped making it.

The bolded is where it's at.  Chicks LOVE Panera.  Why?  Because it's "diet-friendly," in their minds at least.

My wife actually wants to go to a physical Panera every so often.  I was road-tripping with a female attorney some years back (destination: generic suburb), and that's where she insisted we stop for lunch.  Never in my life has any male purposefully requested Panera.  It has always been a female's choice.

The only excuse for eating Panera is if you have a really short layover and it's the shortest grab-and-go line at the airport.  I have eaten more than one "shit, I've got 7 minutes to grab something to eat before my next flight boards" meal.  None of them were good.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Corner Bakery filed for Chapter 11 last week. Honestly, I don’t know the ramifications of that.

Panera is what I pick up when visiting my Grandma in the Chicago burbs. 20 years ago and two states over, it would’ve been Shoney’s. Boffum can go fuck themselves.

On 3/12/2023 at 1:24 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

DCCC904D-917A-49A9-B7AD-F35BF06B5CF0.jpeg

Gross. I’ve never heard of that before. I don’t know what connection a Greek dish from Cincinnati has with St. Patrick’s Day. It’s just food coloring so I’m sure it tastes the same. But the green color doesn’t make it look more appetizing. Green beer, no problem. Green pasta? Pass.

Skyline the chain is still going strong, though, at least from what I can see. It’s not surprising. Their quality hasn’t slipped in the almost 40 years that I’ve been dining there. I don’t know if there’s any other chain I can say that about. Everywhere else has gotten bigger and worse over time. BW-3 going from a great wing place with one store to a big national chain in Buffalo Wild Wings that absolutely sucks is a perfect example. They used to be so awesome. It was really sad to watch them go to hell.