How Is That Chain Still Open?

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I do not understand how Quiznos failed and Subway thrived. I used to crush $5 footlongs all day, (chicken bacon ranch or southwest onion chicken teriyaki). Went the other day and it was truly inedible. Now I am blessed to have a Quiznos in the Woodlands still and it is consistently good every single time. I know people bitch about the prices there but they are basically the exact same price as subways overpriced garbage. Baja chicken, chicken carbonara, peppercorn steakhouse, or my personal favorite is the french dip. There are only 5 locations in greater Houston compared to the 10 subways just within 3 miles of my zip code. Yes I know Jersey mikes and firehouse are better than both but still dammit

Yeah Quiznos was just grossly mismanaged. Shame because their toasted subs were damn good.

• Hook 'Em 1

The bolded is where it's at.  Chicks LOVE Panera.  Why?  Because it's "diet-friendly," in their minds at least.
My wife actually wants to go to a physical Panera every so often.  I was road-tripping with a female attorney some years back (destination: generic suburb), and that's where she insisted we stop for lunch.  Never in my life has any male purposefully requested Panera.  It has always been a female's choice.
The only excuse for eating Panera is if you have a really short layover and it's the shortest grab-and-go line at the airport.  I have eaten more than one "shit, I've got 7 minutes to grab something to eat before my next flight boards" meal.  None of them were good.

Quiznos…that’s a name I haven’t heard in awhile. When I lived in the Heights from 2007-2011 I would eat at the one on Yale. I thought they were all gone but apparently not. My office is in the woodlands, but I only go in twice a week. Maybe I will go for old times sake. Getting tired of $20 salads at Bellagreen.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I suppose if you held a gun to my head and said "Order from Jason's or die" I would go for the muffaletta.  Serviceable.  Not exactly Central Grocery, but edible.

Sweet.  I actually got the Central Grocery reference.

Hat tip: Don't eat a Central Market muffaletta, then immediately get on a cruise boat.  Bad idea jeans.

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Yeah Quiznos was just grossly mismanaged. Shame because their toasted subs were damn good.

quizno's corporate was pumping out coupons marking down a $12-$15 ginormous sandwich to $7 and losing money for every franchisee (while corporate owned the distributor that sold goods to the franchisees and made money hand over fist).  then in 2006 corporate was the subject of an LBO, subway came out with $5 toasted subs, and then the recession hit. boom! toasted!

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 8:23 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

And Pizza Inn was badass but I never see them.

spacer.png

First pizza parlor I ever went to.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:14 PM, Muy Frio said:

My submission sadly would be Taco Cabana. I remember it being good back when I was young. In the Sean Elliott days. Even in college I thought it was fine. The last couple times I've dared to stop there it was God awful.

I concur.

Edited by sith_horn

Man, I'm from northeast TX; we didn't know the fancy mexican words for it.  It's not at either of my two local mercados.

Guarantee it’s in the Mexican food section at your grocery. It’s in a can. Or just make it at home. Jalapeños, onion, carrots.

The good old days of TexMex. Salsa in a little pitcher. Escabeche. Chips. Hot corn tortillas. Saltines. Individual pats of butter. Just for sitting down. It was one of those little benefits of being a Texan dammit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The bolded is where it's at.  Chicks LOVE Panera.  Why?  Because it's "diet-friendly," in their minds at least.

My wife actually wants to go to a physical Panera every so often.  I was road-tripping with a female attorney some years back (destination: generic suburb), and that's where she insisted we stop for lunch.  Never in my life has any male purposefully requested Panera.  It has always been a female's choice.

The only excuse for eating Panera is if you have a really short layover and it's the shortest grab-and-go line at the airport.  I have eaten more than one "shit, I've got 7 minutes to grab something to eat before my next flight boards" meal.  None of them were good.

Correct. Women love Panera. My wife has the coffee subscription, and their app provides free delivery, so unfortunately I’ve had quite a few meals from there. 

Decent menu items: 

Medium roast coffee 

Iced coffee

Caffeinated lemonades are an interesting mixer for the pool

Green Goddess Salad, name aside, is pretty darned solid. You could put that dressing on Lincoln Riley’s brisket and it would taste good. 

Flat bread pizzas

Smoked chicken sandwich 

Everything bagel is above average for a chain. I’d say it’s comparable to Einstein’s.

I think women like it because it’s so predictable and consistent. They can’t order anything that’s going to be extremely good or extremely poor. It’s perfect for people that can’t make up their minds, women. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Firehouse is the better version of Quiznos

I don’t think Quiznos ever intended to compete with Subway. Very different price points. Subway also doesn’t give a shit where their restaurants are located. Truck stop/abandoned Church’s location/airport kiosk. It doesn’t matter to them. Quiznos was much more selective on their locations. 

I think what they didn’t see coming was a very similar competitor that gives a portion of their profits to firefighters. Firehouse has a better story to tell plus the charitable donation angle. 

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Every now and then if I wasn't working an evening shift, some female would lure me/us to a happy hour at OTB. I tried to eat some of the appetizers on one of those visits and it was some of the worst crap I've eaten. Never again. But, hey, that was 25+ years ago. Maybe they've upped their game or something. I think there's a reason the franchise didn't do well in Houston and Austin though.

Negative.

9 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hah I went to Baylor with the then CEO's son. He had a dresser drawer full of Quiznos cash he'd give out to people who did things for him.

Friend’s girlfriend in college dad was a regional manager or some such shit for Popeye’s.  Free 2 piece meals for everybody.  Aunt and uncle’s next door neighbor was a higher up at Brinker and he would get drunk on Xmas and hand out piles of gift cards to all of the college age kids.  Free food is a good thing when you are in college.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:16 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Gross. I’ve never heard of that before. I don’t know what connection a Greek dish from Cincinnati has with St. Patrick’s Day. It’s just food coloring so I’m sure it tastes the same. But the green color doesn’t make it look more appetizing. Green beer, no problem. Green pasta? Pass.

Skyline the chain is still going strong, though, at least from what I can see. It’s not surprising. Their quality hasn’t slipped in the almost 40 years that I’ve been dining there. I don’t know if there’s any other chain I can say that about. Everywhere else has gotten bigger and worse over time. BW-3 going from a great wing place with one store to a big national chain in Buffalo Wild Wings that absolutely sucks is a perfect example. They used to be so awesome. It was really sad to watch them go to hell. 

Hard to slip when inedible shit is your baseline.

I got food poisoning the first and only time I ate at Quiznos.  Coincidentally, I was the first customer to a brand new store opening that day.  

For you young 'uns.  Believe it or not, Little Caesar's actually used to have quality pizza.  I worked at one in Garland during high school.  I have no idea how I didn't gain 300 lbs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:03 PM, elfenix said:

quizno's corporate was pumping out coupons marking down a $12-$15 ginormous sandwich to $7 and losing money for every franchisee (while corporate owned the distributor that sold goods to the franchisees and made money hand over fist).  then in 2006 corporate was the subject of an LBO, subway came out with $5 toasted subs, and then the recession hit. boom! toasted!

Also, just competition in general.. Subway and Quiznos used to he the only sandwich game in town, now there are dozens that came up all in the last 20 years..

I think the last Quiznos in the world was under the 3rd base bleachers at Disch Falk.  It may still be open.

It is. And the only other one I know of is on Congress, a block from the Capitol. It is absolutely a convenience choice for folks who work in the area.

The last Delaware Subs is right by my casa. It’s not as good as it used to be…but it’s still damned good.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

For you young 'uns.  Believe it or not, Little Caesar's actually used to have quality pizza.  I worked at one in Garland during high school.  I have no idea how I didn't gain 300 lbs. 

Haven’t had Little Caesar’s in decades, but we would get a pizza from there about once a month growing up in NC. I recall loving it, but not sure how much of that was unrefined tastebuds and/or not many better options. 

20 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I got food poisoning the first and only time I ate at Quiznos.  Coincidentally, I was the first customer to a brand new store opening that day.  

I got sick the one and only time I ate at Fazoli’s.

I too thought Little Caesar’s was good when I was in high school. I suppose it was as good as could be expected when you were getting two pizzas for $5. 

On 3/16/2023 at 10:53 PM, elfenix said:

my whataburger order is that much.

Yankee Whataburger has become expensive and wildly inconsistent. A good Whataburger hits the spot. Unfortunately, it's become very hit or miss which hurts the soul. Maybe that is a result of poor employee training or no craps given which is pretty much the general attitude of anyone making $15/hour flipping burgers thinking they should be paid $20/hr for just showing up.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:30 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Correct. Women love Panera. My wife has the coffee subscription, and their app provides free delivery, so unfortunately I’ve had quite a few meals from there. 

Decent menu items: 

Medium roast coffee 

Iced coffee

Caffeinated lemonades are an interesting mixer for the pool

Green Goddess Salad, name aside, is pretty darned solid. You could put that dressing on Lincoln Riley’s brisket and it would taste good. 

Flat bread pizzas

Smoked chicken sandwich 

Everything bagel is above average for a chain. I’d say it’s comparable to Einstein’s.

I think women like it because it’s so predictable and consistent. They can’t order anything that’s going to be extremely good or extremely poor. It’s perfect for people that can’t make up their minds, women. 

Green Goddess Salad and the Frontega Chicken sandwich (black pepper focaccia is one of the best quick service bread options out there) are both worth eating.   Avocado/egg white breakfast sandwich is also an above average breakfast option. Some of their soups are also pretty good. Best thing about them is it is easy, they are consistent, and they have reasonably healthy options that are good.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I got sick the one and only time I ate at Fazoli’s.

I too thought Little Caesar’s was good when I was in high school. I suppose it was as good as could be expected when you were getting two pizzas for $5. 

Lol.  I predate your experience just a bit.  When I was there, the pizzas came in pairs "Pizza! Pizza!".  The most popular was the Family Choice.  $13.99.  One large w/ 2 toppings; one with everything.  Supposedly, it was the 2nd busiest in the country at the time.  Having a diet made up exclusively of Little Caesar's food for 2 years, I can attest that it used to be much tastier.

Is Fazoli’s or Cici’s still around?  Disgusting food at both.  At least most chains have something safe on their menu.

I had a McDonalds burger the other day for the first time in probably 10 years and it was the same as ever.  Not good, but enough to tide me over.  I thought that was the point of junk food. 

51 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Is Fazoli’s or Cici’s still around?  Disgusting food at both.  At least most chains have something safe on their menu.

Both still exist.  My kid wouldn't eat Feces Pizza, even when they were little.

• Haha 1

Both still exist.  My kid wouldn't eat Feces Pizza, even when they were little.

One time, we got a real late start heading down to the coast to fish. We got to Lake Jackson/Clute, and needed to grab a quick dinner. There’s a Cici’s, it’s a buffet, we can get in and out in 30 minutes.
There were people in there….on DATES.
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I had a McDonalds burger the other day for the first time in probably 10 years and it was the same as ever.  Not good, but enough to tide me over.  I thought that was the point of junk food. 

Fazoli's is down to 13 locations in Texas. Not a single location in Greater Houston. Nearest location is College Station. 

Cici's is still going VERY strong in Houston. 

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

One time, we got a real late start heading down to the coast to fish. We got to Lake Jackson/Clute, and needed to grab a quick dinner. There’s a Cici’s, it’s a buffet, we can get in and out in 30 minutes.
There were people in there….on DATES.

They used to do heart shaped pizzas on Valentine’s Day.  Get one of those and a box of wine and let the panty dropping commence.

• Like 1

The last Delaware Subs is right by my casa. It’s not as good as it used to be…but it’s still damned good.

I’ll never understand how Delaware wasn’t a success. I haven’t been to one in a decade but I went there weekly in the 90s. Loved everything from the Italian sandwiches to the cheesesteaks to the Friday special Italian sausage.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Yankee Whataburger has become expensive and wildly inconsistent. A good Whataburger hits the spot. Unfortunately, it's become very hit or miss which hurts the soul. Maybe that is a result of poor employee training or no craps given which is pretty much the general attitude of anyone making $15/hour flipping burgers thinking they should be paid $20/hr for just showing up.

it was expensive and wildly inconsistent before chicago stepped in. other than axeing the JCB and the mushroom swiss i don't think much changed. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Newdoc said:

I think I started noticing real issues in the early 2010’s. The North Main location next to the Heights could f*** up a cup of coffee and often did. It was painstaking. Repeating my order, double checking the bag, leaving the drive thru lane, parking, and going inside to fix my order. 

I eventually gave up and went to 610 and Durham location exclusively. 

I’m not going into socioeconomics here, but Whataburger isn’t a good job in Houston or any large city. It’s a great job for a high school kid in La Grange/Giddings/Schulenberg. The small town locations have always been better because their employees give a shit and enjoy working there. It’s the same reason you might get a decent meal at a Chili’s/Applebee’s in a small town. 

It saddens me to say it, but Whataburger is a late night/road trip only treat for me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Lying Season 4 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

They may have not eaten it because you didn't buy it for them but any kid would eat Cicis pizza or any pizza chain if it's put in front of them. 

Nah, it was a soccer team party.  My older kid took a bite and put it down.  And that kid could put down some questionable pizza at that age.  It's ass.

Not that they didn't put some trash in their faces over the years, but that was a line the older one didn't want to cross.  I don't think we returned after that.  Little Caesar's is available, is cheap, and is passable for the price.

Edited by dcbc

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think I started noticing real issues in the early 2010’s. The North Main location next to the Heights could f*** up a cup of coffee and often did. It was painstaking. Repeating my order, double checking the bag, leaving the drive thru lane, parking, and going inside to fix my order. 

I eventually gave up and went to 610 and Durham location exclusively. 

I’m not going into socioeconomics here, but Whataburger isn’t a good job in Houston or any large city. It’s a great job for a high school kid in La Grange/Giddings/Schulenberg. The small town locations have always been better because their employees give a shit and enjoy working there. It’s the same reason you might get a decent meal at a Chili’s/Applebee’s in a small town. 

It saddens me to say it, but Whataburger is a late night/road trip only treat for me. 

Whataburger Harrisburg is GOLD !