How Is That Chain Still Open?

/csb

Had a neighbor 20 or so years ago that had a big nice house, pool, expensive cars, a bad ass boat, trailer smoker and a nice Harley.  He had a lot of toys and and a new younger hot wife.  One day he had a party and we started to discuss his company.  He owned all the crazy crane claw machines at all Cici's and some other restaurants.  Found out he had his company office at small nearby airport where he kept his plane.  Once a week they would fly to different parts of Texas to collect from all their machines.  That was his only source of income. 

4 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

Is it some kind of rule that you start a good restaurant franchise, make big bucks, start cutting corners and it goes to shit..or do our taste buds get more "refined".  Outback used to be the shit, it's fucking awful now.  charles barkley eating GIF by NBA on TNT

I think a lot of them are trying to meet a certain price point.  Their target demographic is value steak consumers.  When the costs go up the just buy cheaper meat so they get in south of $20/plate (I have no idea what it actually costs to eat at Outback these days).  A lot of those people go somewhere else if you bump it up to $30.  The folks dining at Mastro’s  just bitch about the price increase for 30 seconds if they even notice, shrug, and order.

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I think a lot of them are trying to meet a certain price point.  Their target demographic is value steak consumers.  When the costs go up the just buy cheaper meat so they get in south of $20/plate (I have no idea what it actually costs to eat at Outback these days).  A lot of those people go somewhere else if you bump it up to $30.  The folks dining at Mastro’s  just bitch about the price increase for 30 seconds if they even notice, shrug, and order.

I had not heard of Mastro's...checked it and it looks strong as new rope.  

3 hours ago, Litig8r said:

Is it some kind of rule that you start a good restaurant franchise, make big bucks, start cutting corners and it goes to shit..or do our taste buds get more "refined".  Outback used to be the shit, it's fucking awful now.  charles barkley eating GIF by NBA on TNT

It is the slippery slope of every restaurant.  Sales go down, you cut corners on quality of products, sales slip more.  Next thing you know, you're putting plywood over the windows and hoping some insurance agent will buy your building for what is owed on it.

10 hours ago, baboso said:

It is the slippery slope of every restaurant.  Sales go down, you cut corners on quality of products, sales slip more.  Next thing you know, you're putting plywood over the windows and hoping some insurance agent will buy your building for what is owed on it.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, obigbo said:

/csb

Had a neighbor 20 or so years ago that had a big nice house, pool, expensive cars, a bad ass boat, trailer smoker and a nice Harley.  He had a lot of toys and and a new younger hot wife.  One day he had a party and we started to discuss his company.  He owned all the crazy crane claw machines at all Cici's and some other restaurants.  Found out he had his company office at small nearby airport where he kept his plane.  Once a week they would fly to different parts of Texas to collect from all their machines.  That was his only source of income. 

Well that was three years of law school tuition down the drain.

• Haha 1

If schools did a better job of showing how much money regular folks can make with little businesses everyone would ditch law school or medicine and buy a franchise or a car wash or some commercial real estate.

About 20 years ago a colleague called to tell me he was leaving our industry. He had bought the Ohio territory for something called Red Bull. “What’s that?” It’s some kind of euro drink thing. He started with a van, in a year he had a fleet. Made a fuckibg fortube.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, Texzilla58 said:

If schools did a better job of showing how much money regular folks can make with little businesses everyone would ditch law school or medicine and buy a franchise or a car wash or some commercial real estate.

About 20 years ago a colleague called to tell me he was leaving our industry. He had bought the Ohio territory for something called Red Bull. “What’s that?” It’s some kind of euro drink thing. He started with a van, in a year he had a fleet. Made a fuckibg fortube.

So is the moral of your story that small business is the easy way to riches, professor?

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 3:02 PM, Litig8r said:

Is it one location or do they all suck? The Outback by my house slams and goes hard when I get in the mood for a cheap steak and baked potato. 

I won’t order the Blooming Onion again. It’s too damn big to split between 2 people. 

18 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

These $1.79 McDonald’s slushees are freaking crack. With that 20% discount from the app theyre pretty much free. Hot damn

Get one now before Mickey D's shuts down for good!

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2023 at 11:28 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Is it one location or do they all suck? The Outback by my house slams and goes hard when I get in the mood for a cheap steak and baked potato. 

I won’t order the Blooming Onion again. It’s too damn big to split between 2 people. 

This is a great question.

My last few experiences at Outback(different locations) have been fucking awful.

Literally:

Image of And tell the cook this is low-grade dog food.

It was never fine dining, but really above average at a pretty darn fair price.

Sad to see it go away.