How Is That Chain Still Open?

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

5th distinct Taco Casa iteration, Kentucky.

https://www.facebook.com/Taco-Casa-1429805797237834/

"El Taco Casa", fittingly with extra grammatical errors, this one in Iowa:

https://www.facebook.com/El-Taco-Casa-143856789015456/

I found others in the Middle East, and Bali.

I need to stop.

I dunno, you should probably keep that list handy.  You know, in casa emergency.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I went to this place in Oklahoma when I was a kid, so there's that.

OKVINmcd.jpg

Last time I was in the upper Midwest I seem to recall this type of establishment.  Sometimes fast food, sometimes Walgreen or some such shit.  Seems convenient at least.   

43 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

There are at least three separate chains called "Taco Casa", centered in Texas, Ohio, and Alabama.

From what I see on their websites, the food looks like "Mexico Day!" in a North Dakota high school cafeteria, Class of 1972.

http://tacocasatexas.com/

http://tacocasacinti.com/

http://www.tacocasa.com/

There may be more. The search continues.

the first taco casa in the houston area opened in cypress (of course) a month or two ago.  per the review, the owners of taco casa were taco bell franchisees.  it looks like the old taco bell menu for a reason.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, utee94 said:

I like Hooters wings.  I prefer breaded to naked wings. 

I love Hooter's wings and their salty ass curly fries.  I'm sure they are a cholesterol bomb which is why I don't eat there often.

Edited by Lhorn

7 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I love Hooter's wings and their salty ass curly fries.  I'm sure they are a cholesterol bomb which is why I don't eat their often.

The definition of sadness is the waitstaff talent at a secondary market (Waco, Shreveport, etc.) Hooters.

I watched the second half of a world cup match at the Hooters on the south side of Waco (was in town for a baseball tourney, had time to kill while the boys were warming up).  Damn.  I just felt bad for everyone in there, especially the staff, which seemed to come in only two varieties: methed-out skinny, or country chunky, and none of them seemed happy to be there.

Edited by Brisketexan

My first Hooters experience was in 1990s Raleigh NC the day after a pal's bachelor party. Hungover, stuck in this Hooters with a tin roof, salt and grease, Malibu Barbee waitstaff, and fucking 1990 Raleigh lawyers  (everybody in 1990s Raleigh was a lawyer/somethingelse, multiclassed like Elf Fighter/Magic Users) flapping their damn 1990s Raleigh lawyer jawbones.

Since then it's been mostly just getting a beer in semi-deserted Outer-Ring-of-Atlanta Hooters, while the girls walk around bored as hell and that one drunk dude keeps popping jokes that nobody laughs at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

My first Hooters experience was in 1990s Raleigh NC the day after a pal's bachelor party. Hungover, stuck in this Hooters with a tin roof, salt and grease, Malibu Barbee waitstaff, and fucking 1990 Raleigh lawyers  (everybody in 1990s Raleigh was a lawyer/somethingelse, multiclassed like Elf Fighter/Magic Users) flapping their damn 1990s Raleigh lawyer jawbones.

Since then it's been mostly just getting a beer in semi-deserted Outer-Ring-of-Atlanta Hooters, while the girls walk around bored as hell and that one drunk dude keeps popping jokes that nobody laughs at.

"Hooters: we've figured out a way to make chicken wings, beer, and young, scantily clad women mildly depressing."

Slogan might need some work, but at least it's accurate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Hooters: we've figured out a way to make chicken wings, beer, and young, scantily clad women mildly depressing."

It's less depressing if you continue to remind yourself that they are just there temporarily while working their way through law school.  

7 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

There is a chain called Garfield's Restaurant and Pub that is in a small mall in the next county. We wandered in once on a drive and enjoyed it. An Applebee's clone, there was nothing to complain about, food was decent for price, server was friendly. We liked it and stop by there when we're out that way.

I guess what fascinates me is that sitting inside the place is like being inside an alternate earth where it's not too far past the 1980s and this is a giant chain. I looked them up, once they had 40+ locations, targeting small town malls. Now you can go to their web site and almost see the lights going out in real time. They are down to a couple of places in Alabama and Mississippi, and several more scattered across the midwest. Like, 7 total.

Inside the restaurant we go to, they put on a brave face, and decorate the wall with a list of their locations, none within an easy drive of here. Zanesville Ohio! "We went through Zanesville once when I was a child," says Mrs. Canecutter, "There was a dead rat outside our motel room."

Zanesville location is dead now.

All I can figure is that people who wanted to open an Applebees franchise in the 1980s but who failed to qualify, opened up a Garfield's.

I doubt the local one will be around much longer. That little mall has lost two of three anchor stores.

Haven't seen a Bennigan's in quite a while

9 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Chelsea St. Pub - Fuck all you piled nacho haters!!  

Wow — forgot about them.  They had a location in Barton Creek mall years ago.  I do remember the nachos...

Someone mentioned Garfield’s.  They had mall locations in Texas in the 80s-90s.  Bad food.

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

Popeyes has gone way downhill. It's almost inedible. I couldn't have been a bigger fan. Even the sides have lost something. 

Newish one on Montopolis has been good the few times I’ve been. Parking lot is a mess though. 

Popeyes has gone way downhill. It's almost inedible. I couldn't have been a bigger fan. Even the sides have lost something. 

I thought it was just me. Chicken pieces have been tiny, tough almost indelible tenders, dirty rice tastes more bland, red beans and rice tastes microwaved, biscuits aren’t as good. This was at multiple locations too. The only 2 locations that have been decent in recent memory was in ATL airport and Chinatown NYC where all the employees were....Chinese. They love them some chicken, no racist.

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Topeka is home of the original one (Something, something, something SW 6th Street).  Supposedly there is a difference between their food and all the others but I haven't actually tried it.  I have tried one of the others and everyone asking how Taco Bell stays in business should also try one of the others.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:36 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Arby's. If I want to eat old meat flaps with horseradish sauce I will go down on an elderly prostitute and probably pay less.

Subway. Always mediocre or less, now I think only of Jared diddling kids. 

Popeye's. How the mighty have fallen. All that's worth ordering now is the beans and rice. Not much meat on the chicken these days, and the spicy is bland. 

Captain D's, Long John Silver: This has been a mystery for me for decades now. 

Burger King: Has no identity, no niche. 

Agree on all but Popeyes. You don’t disparage Popeyes.  Ever. Get an extra side of the Cajun Gravy and dip your chicken in that. 

our popeyes is always spot on. we have an all star manager working the fryers tho. so we never have a bad experience.

lol @ getting tenders there

It was caused by them not having reg. chicken ready for 15 mins, needed to run so had no choice but to get the tenders.

3 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Agree on all but Popeyes. You don’t disparage Popeyes.  Ever. Get an extra side of the Cajun Gravy and dip your chicken in that. 

I have given the one a few blocks from my house numerous chances over the years. I might have to branch out to another location, because my local is consistently bland. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe they just think your white ass can’t handle it.

The spicy at the Kroger across the street is spicier -- that's how wack that Popeye's is. It's also a franchise of an evil Pakistani crime family notorious for short-selling people at gas stations, selling Kush in vape shops and cutting down every tree around their restaurants whether or not they are in the public right of way or not. It would not surprise me if they just don't bother spicing anything there and are selling fried pigeons instead of chicken. 

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

img_1439.jpg

Used to be one near the HEB Plaza in RR that didn't stay open very long. 

Their BBQ is awful. They must boil their ribs. I Iike their potato salad with the jalapeño bits in it. They don't have containers to sell it in bulk so I got them to sell me a big yellow cup full for the price of two servings. It went well with ribs smoked properly on a WSM. 

10 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Cici's? Bill Miller?  Pancho"s?

First barbecue I ever had in Texas was Bill Miller's.  I think it scarred me for life on Texas barbecue.  Having a Dickey's open up here hasn't helped things any.

I don't know if they are the same franchise but we have Pancho's up here and they are the Wolfgang Puck of drunk, late night, overportioned, don't tell me what's in it or let me look in the kitchen, Mexican food.  I'm sure you could play "spot the health code violations" all day long with one cell phone photo of the kitchen but the food is glorious and I don't care.

21 hours ago, Chad said:

Mcdonalds is the worst franchise and I can't even begin to comprehend how it still exists. If you pick up ground beef from the store and cook yourself a hamburger it doesn't even come close to resembling the slop of shit that McDonald's passes off as a hamburger. I haven't ate a McDonalds burger in over 5 years, but they always ran out of me 15 to 20 minutes after eating one. Their McFish sandwiches are disgusting they're essentially fish byproducts ground up and frozen into blocks then passed off to the consumer as healthy fish. The Chicken McNuggets are essentially chicken leftovers they don't even have the texture of real chicken. I wish Mcdonalds would disappear the world be better off without it.

I'm not saying McD's is haute cuisine but you sir, are a moron. They've gone to fresh beef in a lot of locations and the the chicken tenders are real breast meat now. Not sure about the fish but I don't go there to eat fish. And McD's fries rule. 

17 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

First barbecue I ever had in Texas was Bill Miller's.  I think it scarred me for life on Texas barbecue.  Having a Dickey's open up here hasn't helped things any.

I don't know if they are the same franchise but we have Pancho's up here and they are the Wolfgang Puck of drunk, late night, overportioned, don't tell me what's in it or let me look in the kitchen, Mexican food.  I'm sure you could play "spot the health code violations" all day long with one cell phone photo of the kitchen but the food is glorious and I don't care.

Where do you live?  Because, no offense intended, it sounds horrifying.

13 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Just a fyi about popeyes....friends said their uberdriver in new Orleans told them owners divorced and husband kept all the Louisiana stores and original recipe...wife got other stores but not the recipe so she had to change it up

13 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Could just be a story though

Original owner from New Orleans lost the Popeyes chain in bankruptcy in the 90's. Burger Kings parent company purchased Popeyes last year, so there's probably not much hope.

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Original owner from New Orleans lost the Popeyes chain in bankruptcy in the 90's. Burger Kings parent company purchased Popeyes last year, so there's probably not much hope.

Yeah —that was Al Copeland, who died several years ago.

I used to love Popeye’s — the last few times I’ve tried it, the chicken has been terrible.  Cane’s and Chicken Express are better tenders, and now CE has spicy tenders.  

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:39 AM, RDCanecutter said:

I ate in one on my first visit to Dallas back in the 80s. A little central-casting cowboy in the tray line told me how to work the flag to get more food. Other than him and me, everybody in there looked like they'd just rolled in from the Yucatan and were feeding their kids enough to make it another week. Food tasted like Taco Casa. I was young, I ate several plates.

Only other time was once in Waco. Whatever happened on that visit, I have blocked it out.

When I was in college, we'd eat at Pancho's every Saturday during football season. We'd watch the first half of the 11am game, go to Pancho's and gorge, then spend the rest of the day lying around the TV feeling sick.  Only meal we'd eat that day.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

What’s more pathetic Hooters or the middle aged men who frequent the place?

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Bill Miller should just become a fried chicken chain.  

I can almost understand Dickey's because they exist in many parts of the country where there is very little BBQ.  Dickey's BBQ is probably better than no BBQ (your opinion may vary).  What I don't understand is how places like Bill Milers and Golden Corral thrive in places like Austin where way better options are everywhere.

I can almost understand Dickey's because they exist in many parts of the country where there is very little BBQ.  Dickey's BBQ is probably better than no BBQ (your opinion may vary).  What I don't understand is how places like Bill Milers and Golden Corral thrive in places like Austin where way better options are everywhere.

Cheap and consistent...even if consistently shitty.

OK, recon report. Yesterday I found and ate at the nearest Alabama Taco Casa. It was 1:30 pm and the store was still busy. It's near an interstate exit, about half the car tags might have been people stopping during a trip. Customers were all ages except young hipsters, general vibe was that they appreciated the order and predictability that an HOA brought to their neighborhood.

Food was not bad, also not very Mexican. I got the hottest spice level and was aware of no spice at all. Internet says chain was founded in 1970s by a Kansas dude who played football at Bama, I can see it. Plentiful portions of Taco, Enchilada, Rice, and Beans. Enchilada was swimming in molten lava cheese. The effect was getting to eat high-end ballpark food in an air-conditioned room while not being required to watch baseball.

Staff were courteous and fast with their assignments, store was clean. Good management.

I'll let you know how it feels coming out again if that ever happens. It has been more than 24 hours and this heavy bean-brick still sits in my stomach.