Can’t tell you hoe excited I am for year 2 of the Tom Herman experience...

T&T’s Dad

3 minutes ago, burdine said:

I like the Hand hire.  Bad OL play just made our offense blow all  year.  It was the biggest thing to fix.

I think there is good reason for optimism.

I think Hand will be better than Warehime. I can't imagine him being any worse than Warehime. But I don't think Hand is a truly elite coach by any stretch of the imagination. Reminds me a lot of when Mack brought Searles in to replace McWhorter. A net positive for sure but I don't think he will be the trigger for us really making it back where we want to be. Hand is good enough where he won't be holding us back, and that's alright with me. 

If Nelson leaves we have no one who can fill in that nose tackle spot without some notable growing pains. That spot is the most important spot for our D. Without Nelson I think we can expect some problems up the middle for at least the first few games. I'm not worried about the DBs as much, but Wheeler needs to step up next to Gary Johnson and its about time for McCulloch to have a breakout year.

16 minutes ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

I think Hand will be better than Warehime. I can't imagine him being any worse than Warehime. But I don't think Hand is a truly elite coach by any stretch of the imagination. Reminds me a lot of when Mack brought Searles in to replace McWhorter. A net positive for sure but I don't think he will be the trigger for us really making it back where we want to be. Hand is good enough where he won't be holding us back, and that's alright with me. 

Hand is a good recruiter, sometimes that's worth more than an O-line wizard that hates the recruiting trail and can't connect with the players..

Mattox pulled a decent year out of worse parts IMO.  He was hardly elite but he was a good fit with what Gilbert was trying to do.  Hand might not be an elite OL coach but he is pretty well known as a spread running OL coach which seems to be our goal as an offense.  Seems like a candidate for a good fit.  And he seems like a plus recruiter as well.

I’m not getting excited until I see this team get it done on the field in all three phases. On paper this team looks to be much better offensively with a small step back on D, but we’ve all seen the past 9 seasons how what looks good on paper often doesn’t translate into actual results.

I think we take a small step forward offensively, the oline has to be better, qb's more experienced. 

Defense has more holes to fill with the loss of so many players....but excellent talent is coming in and keeping Todd Orlando was huge. I think we see similar overall product.

Seems impossible to not see a drop off with punter. That loss is going to sting.

FG kicker??? Not sure what to make of Rowland.

I'm going with nine wins.....I think the big12 has a weak overall year. We win a few more of those close games we couldn't muster last year.....and set up for legit run in 2019.

Edited by rungeflash

22 hours ago, swraith said:

I may the have the least enthusiasm about this season than any in the last 15. Texas should improve year over year but nothing I saw last year makes me think we are on the cusp of greatness.  I don’t even see 10 wins this year. 

So we must increase our win total by 3 games in order to "improve" this year? 8 wins would be an improvement. It wouldn't be ideal, but there are still issues with personnel and coaching (Beck). 

7 hours ago, rungeflash said:

I think we take a small step forward offensively, the oline has to be better, qb's more experienced. 

Defense has more holes to fill with the loss of so many players....but excellent talent is coming in and keeping Todd Orlando was huge. I think we see similar overall product.

Seems impossible to not see a drop off with punter. That loss is going to sting.

FG kicker??? Not sure what to make of Rowland.

I'm going with nine wins.....I think the big12 has a weak overall year. We win a few more of those close games we couldn't muster last year.....and set up for legit run in 2019.

If Rowland lines up for FG's again we're in trouble..kids either a headcase (nailing everything in practice, shitting the bed on gamedays) or was being paid off by Chip Brown. 

Dicker the kicker will save the day. (Hopefully)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swraith said:

Are you expecting a win vs USC or just a good showing?

A mother-fucking win.  We almost beat them with a true freshman QB in his first start and after losing our best OL on an already shitty unit that should be improved from shitty to possibly mediocre in 2018.  USC will be breaking in a new QB and Orlando's defense will pick up where it left off.  Fuck this good showing shit.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

A mother-fucking win.  We almost beat them with a true freshman QB in his first start and after losing our best OL on an already shitty unit that should be improved from shitty to possibly mediocre in 2018.  USC will be breaking in a new QB and Orlando's defense will pick up where it left off.  Fuck this good showing shit.

^^^^ This

11 hours ago, ousux said:

If Rowland lines up for FG's again we're in trouble..kids either a headcase (nailing everything in practice, shitting the bed on gamedays) or was being paid off by Chip Brown. 

Dicker the kicker will save the day. (Hopefully)

Well, that was why I said I'm not sure what to make of him......I went to the bowl game, watched him boom warmup kicks..... game on he hits 4 of 4 pats and then a 41yd fg with 12 min left in a 7 pt tight contest. I thought he looked like dogshit thru the regular season. 

I think Texas is going to kick much as this year.  Year two is a common breakout year.  Sam is not a true fish.  Offensive line will be improved.  Defense is going to rock.  I was cautiously optimistic when Charlie came on board.  The writing was on the wall there early on.  I was cautiously optimistic when Mensa came on board.  I'm in Koolaid chugging mode for this season.  We're going to smash peoples faces in.

It's almost as if y'all didn't watch the bowl game (against an admittedly "eh" opponent) and haven't paid attention to all the QBs who aren't returning in conference.  

Herman is high as a kite on Hand.  I can't believe he doesn't think things are looking better on the line.

I will expect Orlando to remain a wizard until he proves otherwise.

The punter will surely not be as good as our last punter, but I would be shocked if our punt team isn't well better than average.  I'd like to see us learn how to return a kick/punt.