All encompassing PAC 4 thread

Sbbruin

Tosh Lupoi uses "dictator" and "confrontational" to describe the vision for his Oregon defense

Tosh Lupoi doesn't want the Ducks secondary walking any kind of fine line.

DOUG SAMUELS         9 HOURS AGO

Dan Lanning filled out his Oregon staff with a handful of really impressive coaches, one of which was his defensive coordinator - Tosh Lupoi.

With stops at Cal, Washington, and Alabama, Lupoi established himself as one of college football's best recruiters before jumping to the NFL where he spent the past few seasons working with the Browns, Falcons and Jaguars.

The opportunity to step back into a defensive coordinator role at Oregon with Lanning brought Lupoi back to college football, and he shared a bit of his outlook on what the vision for the Ducks defense is.

"Confrontational" and "dictator" were two interesting words he chose to use to describe what he wants to build in Eugene.

When asked about his secondary "walking the fine line" between being aggressive in press and giving some space to speedy receivers, Tosh shared they're actually not interested in walking that fine line at all.

"We probably don't walk that fine line. We want to be extremely aggressive and confrontational."

"We want to play press coverage and operate out of man-match and quarters and Rip / Liz match system in cover three and then compliment that with some zone and do our best to mix up things and offer disguises and pressures out of those looks as well."

"We want to be really aggressive. That's the system that I come from and that I believe in, and coach Lanning as well and we really want to be the dictator at the end of the day. So we are going to constantly challenge our players to embrace that."

Hear more from Lupoi in the clip:

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

This kinda sucks as a neutral fan of the game. Mega-conferences are gonna be lame af

College football is going to lose so much of what I love about it.  My enthusiasm will be at risk.

Somebody needs to do a wellness check on Walton.  This may have been to much for his conference of champions heart.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

College football is going to lose so much of what I love about it.  My enthusiasm will be at risk.

I think you might change your tune when you see the Bruin baseball team head to Piscataway for a thrilling 3-game weekend series against Rutgers in late March.  

Or maybe not.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Somebody needs to do a wellness check on Walton.  This may have been to much for his conference of champions heart.

Sucks that the last LA game I attend will be at stinking $C.  

See you in Tempe in November.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

This kinda sucks as a neutral fan of the game. Mega-conferences are gonna be lame af

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Absolutely. Never been a big NFL guy, but if CFB just becomes NFL lite, I'd rather just watch the NFL.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 3

"'I have no concern about our schools,' Kliavkoff said on June 6. 'We had the opportunity when conference realignment was going on last summer to canvas our president and chancellors, and it is clear to me that everyone who’s in the Pac-12 is committed to the Pac-12.'"

Just made Larry Scott sound smart.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2022 at 10:55 PM, markstanco said:

Oregon v Oregon state is a bucket list game for me. I’ve been to the Oregon coast a dozen times and Oregon is my adopted west coast team I silently root for.

only thing missing is csb

Edited by jdhorn92

39 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

It still is. The only question now is whether there will be a third super conference that can be cobbled together by the remnants of the Pac, B12 and ACC.

Aside from Clemson, the remnants of these 3 conferences suck ass. If they tried to make a 3rd super conference, they’d be viewed as inferior G5 level of competition. 

College football is likely headed for 2 super conferences of 20 teams each. SEC (ESPN) vs B1G (Fox) TV contracts are driving the whole thing. The remaining schools need to claw their way into these 2 conferences before all 20 slots are filled up. 

Texas/OU leaving to the SEC is the same as USC/UCLA leaving to the B1G - the biggest schools in their conferences said the relationship is dead and the Big 12/Pac 12 cannot be saved. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

This super conference stuff does not seem to be all that fun. This doesn’t have an effect on my viewership because I checked out almost a decade ago on college sports outside of the occasional Gonzaga basketball game. 

I don't care what happens to realignment as long as the big12 dies.

Now it looks like the big12 and pac12 get to share the same fate in the 2nd tier conferences.

SEC

BIG10

-------Power Gap-------

Big12

ACC

Pac12

9 hours ago, Zeus said:

I don't care what happens to realignment as long as the big12 dies.

Now it looks like the big12 and pac12 get to share the same fate in the 2nd tier conferences.

SEC

BIG10

-------Power Gap-------

Big12

ACC

Pac12

So you are fine with watching the death of CFB?  A whole lot fewer people are going to give a shit about the sport if the P5 becomes the P2.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 6/30/2022 at 3:19 PM, Tex-19 said:

this destroys the rose bowl celebration of special-ness and clears the way for on-campus home games in the first 2 rounds of a 16-team playoff

if you are orphan12+ or orphanPAC or soon to be orphanACC then yeah, this sucks

which i guess is a majority of college football fanbases

blame aggy and larry scott, they share the blame 1000%

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:21 PM, Sbbruin said:

add the intergalactic arrogance of cal and tree to the list of blame recipients

you're going to need a fleet of at least 5 specially-configured planes with lie-flat sleeper cabins and that's going to cost each school $2-3m a year to maintain

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/02/how-larry-scott-destroyed-the-pac-12/

Spoiler

July 2, 2022 7:19 am PT

We know Larry Scott couldn’t fix the DirecTV mess. We know that the Pac-12 Networks were a disaster in terms of distribution and a net-negative in terms of programming content. We know Scott paid far too much rent in San Francisco and that his champagne and caviar tastes were wasteful and extravagant for a league which needed to find cost savings.

George Kliavkoff spent his first year as Pac-12 commissioner undoing the damage Scott did. He got out of the San Francisco rental agreement and saved the conference a ton of money. However, Kliavkoff couldn’t save the conference itself — at least not as we have known it.

The Pac-12 is almost certain to endure a diminished future with reduced media rights value and decreased national prestige. USC leaving is a crushing blow, and Larry Scott created a situation conducive to this collapse. Kliavkoff might be guilty of underestimating the severity of the threat of USC leaving, and that’s a fair criticism of him, but we can all agree that Larry Scott created the conditions under which the Pac-12 was ripe for the plucking. He is, by far, the man most responsible for the conference’s downfall.

Again, we know about DirecTV and the Pac-12 Networks, but just to be clear, we need to know the more precise reason why the Pac-12 was standing by the side of the road while USC and UCLA packed their bags for the Big Ten.

Jon Wilner of the Wilner Hotline spells out the precise reasons Larry Scott crushed the Pac-12:

Scott’s decision to sign a 12-year contract with ESPN and Fox locked the conference into an agreement that has proved its undoing. With a shorter duration — say, eight or 10 years — the Pac-12 would have renegotiated its media rights before the Big Ten stepped to the table this spring, thereby locking USC and UCLA into an agreement.

And just three years ago, Scott turned down an offer from ESPN to take over Pac-12 Networks distribution and forge a long-term partnership on Tier 1 rights. In that scenario, the L.A. schools also stay put.

The campuses spent years suffering financially (relative to their peers) in hopes that Scott’s master plan would lead to a jackpot in 2024.

Now, the jackpot has vanished, and the suffering will only increase.

It has all been a colossal waste.

The university presidents who approved Scott’s strategy deserve blame, as well.

But the cleaving of the conference, and perhaps its eventual destruction, becomes Scott’s legacy.

Meanwhile, he pocketed close to $50 million in salary courtesy of the Pac-12 and is sipping wine overlooking a sunset somewhere.

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/02/how-larry-scott-destroyed-the-pac-12/

Hide contents

July 2, 2022 7:19 am PT

We know Larry Scott couldn’t fix the DirecTV mess. We know that the Pac-12 Networks were a disaster in terms of distribution and a net-negative in terms of programming content. We know Scott paid far too much rent in San Francisco and that his champagne and caviar tastes were wasteful and extravagant for a league which needed to find cost savings.

George Kliavkoff spent his first year as Pac-12 commissioner undoing the damage Scott did. He got out of the San Francisco rental agreement and saved the conference a ton of money. However, Kliavkoff couldn’t save the conference itself — at least not as we have known it.

The Pac-12 is almost certain to endure a diminished future with reduced media rights value and decreased national prestige. USC leaving is a crushing blow, and Larry Scott created a situation conducive to this collapse. Kliavkoff might be guilty of underestimating the severity of the threat of USC leaving, and that’s a fair criticism of him, but we can all agree that Larry Scott created the conditions under which the Pac-12 was ripe for the plucking. He is, by far, the man most responsible for the conference’s downfall.

Again, we know about DirecTV and the Pac-12 Networks, but just to be clear, we need to know the more precise reason why the Pac-12 was standing by the side of the road while USC and UCLA packed their bags for the Big Ten.

Jon Wilner of the Wilner Hotline spells out the precise reasons Larry Scott crushed the Pac-12:

Scott’s decision to sign a 12-year contract with ESPN and Fox locked the conference into an agreement that has proved its undoing. With a shorter duration — say, eight or 10 years — the Pac-12 would have renegotiated its media rights before the Big Ten stepped to the table this spring, thereby locking USC and UCLA into an agreement.

And just three years ago, Scott turned down an offer from ESPN to take over Pac-12 Networks distribution and forge a long-term partnership on Tier 1 rights. In that scenario, the L.A. schools also stay put.

The campuses spent years suffering financially (relative to their peers) in hopes that Scott’s master plan would lead to a jackpot in 2024.

Now, the jackpot has vanished, and the suffering will only increase.

It has all been a colossal waste.

The university presidents who approved Scott’s strategy deserve blame, as well.

But the cleaving of the conference, and perhaps its eventual destruction, becomes Scott’s legacy.

Meanwhile, he pocketed close to $50 million in salary courtesy of the Pac-12 and is sipping wine overlooking a sunset somewhere.

"But the cleaving of the conference, and perhaps its eventual destruction, becomes Larry Scott’s legacy.  Meanwhile, he pocketed close to $50 million in salary courtesy of the Pac-12 and is sipping wine overlooking a sunset somewhere."

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

CFB has needed this change for years and should have happened when Arkansas (and should have been Texas and Aggy) left for the SEC.

The top players will go to the SEC/BIG hierarchy, the game will be better, more eyeballs will watch. It goes with NIL/portal and balances the level. The lesser schools left in the lesser conferences will scramble for scraps because folks aren’t watching K State Iowa State. Never have. They can scramble for the nonconf games with the big schools to get bucks. It will all be fine.

Unless you’re a Rutgers fan watching your game with USC at 1 am.

• blacklab changed the title to All encompassing PAC 4 thread