All encompassing PAC 4 thread

Sbbruin

19 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

Zona losing to BYU may not be a surprise to many of you on this board who know the aggy hasn't yet rubbed off of Sumlin, but it is to me. They made Tate look like a chump, which sucks because Cal has to travel to Provo next week...

Yep. Preseason I felt fine about our chances in Provo, now much more worried.

1 hour ago, berlinerbaer said:

Zona losing to BYU may not be a surprise to many of you on this board who know the aggy hasn't yet rubbed off of Sumlin, but it is to me. They made Tate look like a chump, which sucks because Cal has to travel to Provo next week...

I guess we will find out alot more about California in the next outing, but they looked physical against North Carolina on yesterday...

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I watched Maryland depants Texas.  Then I watched Auburn manhandle UDub.  And then I watched Archie Bradley give up a game-winning bomb to Matt Kemp.

Yesterday was not one of the better days in my life.

The Kemp part was the salve I needed.  And he did it again today.  Fuck college football.  Go Dodgers!

The love many have for the PAC on this site amazes me. Are all of you guys just passing through a Texas site, simply because it is the best of all the boards? Or are you actual Texas born and bred, but lean to the left coast due to business or experiences? Much in the same way I ended up in Georgia after I got out In 76.

Dont get me wrong I spend a lot of time out West. Mostly because the Rockies, and I’m an F-Class shooter that requires long ranges to compete at. These little hills back east are simply nothing compared to Colorado’s 14’ers. And 1000 yard ranges are nonexistent out here. But football, well football is a different animal all together..

again just curious where this comes from.

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Am I the only one excited about the first of the two Stanford v USC games this season???!!!

When you can "double up the fun, twice" it can be just as nice...

I would expect Stanford to win this 1st match, ass the team seems a little more balanced than what I saw of USC against UNLV, the Trojans just wore on the Rebels...

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 10:12 PM, kopp0e said:

#Runnin'WithRalphie:

I thought that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen at a CFB game when I went to Boulder a few years back.  I've always thought it would be cool if we had a big live brown bear on our sideline.

834282.gif?b64lines=

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Am I the only one excited about the first of the two Stanford v USC games this season???!!!

I would say something witty in retort, but I am too depressed.  If we go 2-10 with wins over those 2 schools, I would be delighted.

The love many have for the PAC on this site amazes me. Are all of you guys just passing through a Texas site, simply because it is the best of all the boards? Or are you actual Texas born and bred, but lean to the left coast due to business or experiences? Much in the same way I ended up in Georgia after I got out In 76.
Dont get me wrong I spend a lot of time out West. Mostly because the Rockies, and I’m an F-Class shooter that requires long ranges to compete at. These little hills back east are simply nothing compared to Colorado’s 14’ers. And 1000 yard ranges are nonexistent out here. But football, well football is a different animal all together..
again just curious where this comes from.
Texas born and raised, UT alum, never lived outside the state in my life. I grew up playing football through high school and have coached at the youth level so I understand what it means.

I like the current conference arrangement (not perfect but I enjoy the regionalism of college sports) and hope it will stay together, with improvements, for the long term. That said, I'm all about the PAC if there were to be a seismic realignment event. Reasons, in no particular order of importance:

1.) The culture of Pac 12 universities aligns a lot better with UT than does the SEC (which I do think its the only other legit option). Academic quality, not riddled with cheating, well rounded athletics, etc.

2.) Road trips to PAC destinations beat the shit out of SEC destinations. This is honestly my selfish #1 reason.

3.) Especially true for Austin, but even true for other big population centers like Houston and DFW, Texas is trending culturally and demographically to have be more in line with Denver, Phoenix, Tuscon, LA, SF, and Seattle than Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Fayettenam, and Starkville. The fan base just fits better in the PAC.

4.) Despite the distance, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that after playing series with some of the PAC schools, SC in particular, there is a fun, almost natural rivalry feeling to it.

5.) Add Texas and OU to the SEC west and that is fucking murderer's row. I realize divisions would shift a bit, but even if we somehow get good at football again it is borderline impossible to get out of there. We getting through LSU, OUsucks, and Bama with any level of consistency? Probably not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I thought that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen at a CFB game when I went to Boulder a few years back.  I've always thought it would be cool if we had a big live brown bear on our sideline.

834282.gif?b64lines=

That would be pretty damn cool bro..! I doubt that I would ever try to pet the #BigBadBruin, as I don't want it using me like a fluffy rabbit..! GoBruins..!

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

My daughter will be running Blaster the Burro after Mines touchdowns next weekend.

I can't remember the last time I've been this excited about something.

I looked up the Colorado School of Mines mascot, it's very unique & cool..! Props to your daughter for expanding her horizons through education, & running #Blaster..!

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Texas born and raised, UT alum, never lived outside the state in my life. I grew up playing football through high school and have coached at the youth level so I understand what it means.

I like the current conference arrangement (not perfect but I enjoy the regionalism of college sports) and hope it will stay together, with improvements, for the long term. That said, I'm all about the PAC if there were to be a seismic realignment event. Reasons, in no particular order of importance:

1.) The culture of Pac 12 universities aligns a lot better with UT than does the SEC (which I do think its the only other legit option). Academic quality, not riddled with cheating, well rounded athletics, etc.

2.) Road trips to PAC destinations beat the shit out of SEC destinations. This is honestly my selfish #1 reason.

3.) Especially true for Austin, but even true for other big population centers like Houston and DFW, Texas is trending culturally and demographically to have be more in line with Denver, Phoenix, Tuscon, LA, SF, and Seattle than Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Fayettenam, and Starkville. The fan base just fits better in the PAC.

4.) Despite the distance, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that after playing series with some of the PAC schools, SC in particular, there is a fun, almost natural rivalry feeling to it.

5.) Add Texas and OU to the SEC west and that is fucking murderer's row. I realize divisions would shift a bit, but even if we somehow get good at football again it is borderline impossible to get out of there. We getting through LSU, OUsucks, and Bama with any level of consistency? Probably not.

6.) money is absolute shit.

7.) adding UT and OU would increase the money but not even equal current Big XII revenue

8.) I say this as primarily a PAC fan (CU and Cal)

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

834282.gif?b64lines=

Ralphie is the best entrance in college football and it’s not particularly close in my mind. Running a thousand pound animal with horns around the stadium is hard to beat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Here is a potential University of Texas schedule, as a member of the PAC, in this alignment Iowa State & Kansas are in the north/ Oklahoma & Texas in the south:

6.) money is absolute shit.
7.) adding UT and OU would increase the money but not even equal current Big XII revenue
8.) I say this as primarily a PAC fan (CU and Cal)
While I realize it will be the number one, and probably only real determining factor for the people making the decisions when the time comes, I could give a fuck how much the athletic department brings in so long as it's in the black and doesn't cost the school anything on net. That will be the case for the foreseeable future, so as a dreaming fan I don't give it much thought. Never understood why fans get so hype about how much money athletics made. It used to be our money before we gave it to them. All we have left I guess.

I would think it would be TTech and Okie State coming with for political reasons, which would yield a division of 8 with Four Corners schools plus B12 expats, nine conference games with two crossover with the old Pac 8. Side note - I think TCU could be a darkhorse target for the SEC if they continue performing at this level.

A good balance of geography and the chance to have big moneymaker/brand matchups (SC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington would all draw a lot of eyes vs Texas, plenty for Cal and Oregon too). Keep scheduling noncon as we do - one regional cupcake, one mid P5, one bigtme P5.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

While I realize it will be the number one, and probably only real determining factor for the people making the decisions when the time comes, I could give a fuck how much the athletic department brings in so long as it's in the black and doesn't cost the school anything on net. That will be the case for the foreseeable future, so as a dreaming fan I don't give it much thought. Never understood why fans get so hype about how much money athletics made. It used to be our money before we gave it to them. All we have left I guess.

I’m not a fan who gives a damn about athletic dept money (hence, for example, my preference that the PAC never adds anyone even if it meant a little more money for current PAC schools). I’m only noting- as did you- that money is what the decision makers care about.

Week 2 rankings. The Pac 12 South still gargles everyone's balls.

1) Washington - Can't fault them much for losing to Auburn.

2) Stanford - A case could be made that they're #1

3) Oregon - Winning the beauty contests against weak teams.

4) Colorado - Best road win of the season for the conference so far

5) USC - True frosh QB needs to find his feet, then they'll move up

6) ASU - How much longer will Herm be underestimated?

7) WSU - No glaring deficiencies, but we'll see when conference play starts

8 ) Cal - Decent road win and making strides on offense

9) Utah - Workmanlike victories over middling opponents

10) UCLA - His players don't fit Chip's system, so be patient

11) OSU - They seem to have some fight in them compared to last year

12) Arizona - Rich Rod would probably be 2-0 right now...

• Like 1

Arizona would have been better to hire the 1st coach that was on the list from Navy, and not let a tweet dictate a hire...

Khalil Tate's tweet reportedly swayed Arizona away from Ken ...

Jul 24, 2018 - Apparently Khalil Tate's tweet really did change Arizona's coach search ... He said he didn'twant Navy's Ken Niumatalolo as the Wildcats' head coach, and the ... instead — that is until Arizona QBKhalil Tate made his voice heard. ... over the coaching search, but it's not necessarily a bad thing forArizona to ...

1 hour ago, berlinerbaer said:

Week 2 rankings. The Pac 12 South still gargles everyone's balls.

1) Washington - Can't fault them much for losing to Auburn.

2) Stanford - A case could be made that they're #1

3) Oregon - Winning the beauty contests against weak teams.

4) Colorado - Best road win of the season for the conference so far

5) USC - True frosh QB needs to find his feet, then they'll move up

6) ASU - How much longer will Herm be underestimated?

7) WSU - No glaring deficiencies, but we'll see when conference play starts

8 ) Cal - Decent road win and making strides on offense

9) Utah - Workmanlike victories over middling opponents

10) UCLA - His players don't fit Chip's system, so be patient

11) OSU - They seem to have some fight in them compared to last year

12) Arizona - Rich Rod would probably be 2-0 right now...

Mine:

1. Washington

2. Stanford

3-6: Oregon, Colorado, ASU, USC

7-9: Cal, WSU, Utah

10-12: UCLA, Arizona, OSU

Still hard to tell some apart.

• blacklab changed the title to All encompassing PAC 4 thread