All encompassing PAC 4 thread

Sbbruin

9 hours ago, SDG said:

Anyone have the details on this?

which team is in danger of not being able to play, Oregon?   

There's nothing out there on either team not being able to play - CU sent the truck halfway in case USC can't go (if Oregon can't it would be Stanford or a no-contest or a plague of locusts or something). Since CU has no opponent and hence didn't go to LA they had to get the truck partway there just in case.

Bruins declining to play in a bowl game if they win Saturday.  At first I was pissed, but reading it, the players just want to be down with the Draconian measures the team has had in place- that have worked (played all of their scheduled games)- and miss the holidays with their families, I don't blame them.  If they were slotted to play a significant bowl, that's different.  But to lock down on campus for the holidays to pay in the Cheez-It Weedeater Guaranteed Rate Lending Tree Bowl in an empty stadium isn't worth it.  School let the kids decide and I don't blame them.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2020-12-17/ucla-football-no-bowl-game-decline-invitation

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Bruins declining to play in a bowl game if they win Saturday.  At first I was pissed, but reading it, the players just want to be down with the Draconian measures the team has had in place- that have worked (played all of their scheduled games)- and miss the holidays with their families, I don't blame them.  If they were slotted to play a significant bowl, that's different.  But to lock down on campus for the holidays to pay in the Cheez-It Weedeater Guaranteed Rate Lending Tree Bowl in an empty stadium isn't worth it.  School let the kids decide and I don't blame them.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2020-12-17/ucla-football-no-bowl-game-decline-invitation

I noted on-- I think the CFB 2020 thread-- it'll be interesting to see what happens if the conferences don't have enough teams to furnish to the bowls.

It's easy to say you're "opting out" but the conference has a legal contract with the bowls, and the school has a legal contract with the conference.

Of course many of the bowls are opting out themselves, so it's possible it won't become an issue.  But at this point, it might not be as easy as just saying "we decline." No matter what happens, I have no doubt that plenty of attorneys will be happy to bill some hours over the issue.

That’s why Boston College wrapped up their season. It makes sense. I expect more teams to follow suit.

50 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I noted on-- I think the CFB 2020 thread-- it'll be interesting to see what happens if the conferences don't have enough teams to furnish to the bowls.

It's easy to say you're "opting out" but the conference has a legal contract with the bowls, and the school has a legal contract with the conference.

Of course many of the bowls are opting out themselves, so it's possible it won't become an issue.  But at this point, it might not be as easy as just saying "we decline." No matter what happens, I have no doubt that plenty of attorneys will be happy to bill some hours over the issue.

A number of the PAC 12 tie in bowls have been canceled- RedBox, Holiday, Sun, Vegas, LA.  Almost all of them in fact.

• Hook 'Em 1

mdleast just sent me a bowl projection that has Texas in the Alamo playing Colorado if OU and Iowa State both get a NY6 bowl. I don't know, I'm all for nostalgia but I'd rather play a different Pac 12 opponent like Oregon or get another USC rivalry game going. More likely, we're headed to Orlando to take on Miami. 

Both AD Cohen and Coach Lake at UW indicated that they hoped to prepare for a potential bowl game in their statements on not being able to go for the championship game - OTOH, it sounds as though their only shots at getting cleared in time would be for the Alamo or the Armed Forces bowls (or possibly some random game).

My guess is the frustration at missing out on the title game as well as both rivalry games plays into that, but we'll see what actually ends up happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Both AD Cohen and Coach Lake at UW indicated that they hoped to prepare for a potential bowl game in their statements on not being able to go for the championship game - OTOH, it sounds as though their only shots at getting cleared in time would be for the Alamo or the Armed Forces bowls (or possibly some random game).

My guess is the frustration at missing out on the title game as well as both rivalry games plays into that, but we'll see what actually ends up happening.

Why not play the Apple Cup during bowl season?   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SDG said:

Why not play the Apple Cup during bowl season?   

This is where I for the 843rd time advocate my Beau Vine NCAA Postseason Game rule:

1.  Every team is allowed to play one postseason game at their own discretion.  

2.  That's it.  That's the entire rule.

If Texas State and Kansas want to play each other after Christmas, they're allowed to.  They can play in Lawrence, San Marcos, or they can play in Waco ISD Stadium and call it the Sonic Tater Tots Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • blacklab changed the title to All encompassing PAC 4 thread