The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

A couple things on the landing that I had questions on.  First, it sure seemed like I was going to land short of the runway, but we obviously didn't.  I guess that is about getting more reps and understanding my true position on the final.  I guess as long as I have 2 whites, and 2 reds I'm good.  Also, when is the right time to flare?  How much back pressure (is there a spot on the horizon I should use)?  How long do I hold it (until the back wheels are down?).

Thanks again for this forum.  It really helps me debrief and review my lessons.

Easy, hop into a ‘bus where an English gentleman calmly states ‘retard, retard’ like a CR poster.

I’ve been following this Full Force pilot on Instagram for awhile and figured some of y’all may want to as well:

https://instagram.com/arturkielak?igshid=1aqqdtspm8jct

Here are a couple example videos of his flying shenanigans:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo0rBgFAs7e/?igshid=ibzoyvfeeqgl

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqxpFUQF3-x/?igshid=19wo7k2dzy32w

I’ve never had anyone say anything about the trim on landing other than to have the plane trimmed for approach. And that’s usually pretty close to climb out speed in a GA plane. Honestly, there’s just not enough back pressure required to have to crank trim in during the flare. 

I may be overthinking it, but it seems like you might be setting yourself up for trouble if you have to go around unexpectedly, and snatch the plane off the ground with nearly full up nose trim. Particularly for less experienced pilots.  

On the planes we lowly PPs fly, you can spin the wheel all the way up and still take off. Its maybe 5 square feet max of trim on a 172.

26 minutes ago, markstanco said:

On the planes we lowly PPs fly, you can spin the wheel all the way up and still take off. Its maybe 5 square feet max of trim on a 172.

My comment about less experienced pilots was in reference to guys who are still pre solo student pilots getting trim up in the flare advice from others. No need for the lowly PP business. 

688a9aa87c7520aa252d80ff946d304b.jpg

I can hear that little fucker from here

Lived on Sheppherd for 3 years back when tweets were still the primary jet. I could hear them from base housing. Can’t complain, I loved it...still remember when dad first went AD, we were driving onto Scott just as a C9 rotates off the runway in front of us and I was thinking ‘I get to live on an airport!’
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Lived on Sheppherd for 3 years back when tweets were still the primary jet. I could hear them from base housing. Can’t complain, I loved it...still remember when dad first went AD, we were driving onto Scott just as a C9 rotates off the runway in front of us and I was thinking ‘I get to live on an airport!’

It’s funny. You lived on Shepherd. The newb controllers and UPT trainees spent considerable time trying to kill me at Shepherd with a T-38 to the heart when I flew freight into there. 

Apparently, some good news about possible tornado damage to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio:

The National Museum of the Air Force has now confirmed that it did suffer minor damage in the storm, but has also said that no aircraft or artifacts were damaged, according to Military.com reporter Oriana Pawlyk.  https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28254/air-force-museum-condition-unknown-as-wright-patterson-afb-says-150-homes-hit-by-tornado

F0RCTDb4_normal.png
The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force “experienced minor damage with the exception of one section of the hangar in the early years gallery,” Wright Pat spox tells me. No static aircraft nor artifacts damaged. #Dayton #Tornado #WrightPat
Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 7:23 AM, Homercles said:

On 5/22/2019 at 7:43 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s funny. You lived on Shepherd. The newb controllers and UPT trainees spent considerable time trying to kill me at Shepherd with a T-38 to the heart when I flew freight into there. 

^^ Sheppard Air Force Base

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, markstanco said:

$99. https://dealhaven.us/products/zero-breeze-portable-air-conditioner

Is 1100 btu cooling good enough for a 182 in August? Seems too good to be true for this price.

That looks like a toy.  1100 btu is almost nothing.  Don't ignore that there is a outgoing vent to expel hot air right back into the cabin.

Something like this from Sporty's better fits the bill.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

On 5/22/2019 at 7:23 AM, Homercles said:

Dad's first jet training was in the T-37 at Vance.  Then moved up and first soloed in the T-38.  I was born on Vance.

Then moved to Sheppard when i was 6 months old and he taught NATO guys how to drive for the next 3 years before joining Delta.

Edited by Hagbard Celine
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

Would a king air 200 operating at 1100 an hour be about right?

That sounds pretty low, but context would be helpful.  How much utilization (in hours)?  Crew costs?  Hangar?  Maintenance reserve? Insurance?  Lots of fixed and variable costs that would go into that hourly calculation.

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Saw an Antonov at the Tulsa airport yesterday. No pic since I was driving. That fucker was gigantic. Googled it and they are used to deliver aircraft parts to an assembly plant there.

124 or 225?  They want to do another production run on the 124 with upgraded motors and avionics, but the Ukraine is in turmoil. The current tails are getting pretty long in the tooth. 

This was earlier this morning, roughly 10 am. I've heard they lost an engine shortly after takeoff, and I suspect they Vmc'd it. Had a friend/former student who was in the hangar two away from the one it went it. Pretty scary. She pulled herself together and passed her commercial checkride later this afternoon, though.

33 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

giphy.gif

Lost an engine going too slow, at too high of a weight and or with a center of gravity too far aft to control the aircraft directionally with the rudder on the remaining engine. It’s called a Vmc roll because Vmc is the minimum controllable airspeed in the angle engine scenario. 

• Like 1

This was earlier this morning, roughly 10 am. I've heard they lost an engine shortly after takeoff, and I suspect they Vmc'd it. Had a friend/former student who was in the hangar two away from the one it went it. Pretty scary. She pulled herself together and passed her commercial checkride later this afternoon, though.

Pics of friend / former student?