The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

The last time I was in St. Maarten the airport personnel were talking about how KLM/Air France had recently knocked down the fence twice.  I think that threshold is displaced a bit plus 1000 feet for the aim point markings. 

Hope losing that multimillion dollar career was worth it to buzz a bunch of tourists on the beach.

14 hours ago, Hornsareus said:

The fence is a whopping 5-6 feet tall... hard to believe that.  

spacer.png

Btw, this is the aftermath of Eastern 763 standing on the brakes for 5 seconds

It’s not hard to believe at all if you’re willing to land in the displaced threshold and risk damage to your plane, airport property and personal injury to buzz beach goers. 

I’ve seen plenty of planes land short at TNCM. The only explanation is buzzing the crowd. The runway is adequate for 747 ops, so it’s not a matter of needing the pavement. 

Standing on the power for takeoff? That I find believable. The last time I was there we had a full boat, and the takeoff configuration called for Config 3 flaps and TOGA between the  demands of the payload and terrain at the end of the field. 

AA had to takeoff against the grain to make their performance numbers. 

21 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The last time I was in St. Maarten the airport personnel were talking about how KLM/Air France had recently knocked down the fence twice.  I think that threshold is displaced a bit plus 1000 feet for the aim point markings. 

Hope losing that multimillion dollar career was worth it to buzz a bunch of tourists on the beach.

So he’s flying rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong now?

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:

We do transcons out of Orange County in that pos 737 and you don't need to stand on the power. In fact Boeing recommends rolling takeoffs everytime.

As with the boys buzzing the beach there’s pushing the levers forward  all the way and releasing the brakes like a normal pilot or there’s the idiots who just sit there blasting people on purpose. 

The brakes on bus aren’t designed to hold the plane stationary at Toga power so three clicks and let it go. They won’t be spooled up before you let it go. 

A flight instructor and her student are dead after the fiery crash of their twin-engine plane at a North Texas airport.

The Federal Aviation Administration says the Piper PA-34 went down soon after 4 p.m. Sunday while preparing to land at the municipal airport in Gainesville, about 75 miles northwest of Dallas. It crashed about 440 yards from a runway.

The Texas Department of Public Safety says Chinese student pilot 22-year-old Yu Qiu was pronounced dead at the scene. Twenty-five-year-old instructor Francesca Norris of North Richland Hills later died at a hospital.

It’s unclear who was in control when the plane went down. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause of the crash.

The FAA has not yet released the plane’s tail number.

The instructor and student were from U.S. Aviation Academy in Denton, according to the Gainesville Daily Register. 

“All of our hearts are heavy as we collectively mourn our student and friend,” Justin Sykes, assistant CFO of U.S. Aviation Academy, told the Gainesville Daily Register in an emailed statement Sunday evening. “... Our hearts are with our student’s and instructor’s families, friends and loved ones.”

“The safety of our students and instructors remains at the cornerstone of our training program and, with that in mind, we are assisting with the National Transportation Safety Board, Federal Aviation Administration and local authorities as they investigate the accident. We will also be conducting our own internal investigation,” Sykes said in the statement.

The plane took off from Denton Enterprise Airportabout 2:40 p.m. Sunday, and was scheduled to land in Gainesville about 4 p.m., according to FlightAware.com.

Many 25-year old female instructors out there? 

So, I live in north san diego county, near the coast.  I've been noticing airliners flying over my house east to west, out to the ocean.  I've been curious about this. Where are they coming from, and where are they going? 

So, on Sunday, I was drinking beer and floating in the pool, and saw several planes pass by over the course of the afternoon.  So, I grab the laptop and get one of the radar sites, I think it was flightaware.  As I see an aircraft approaching, I get out of the pool and over to the laptop on the patio.  These were all flights coming from Mexico to LAX, all MX airlines.  Since LAX lands E to W, I assume that they fly over the ocean for a while, and then turn E before making a circle and turning W again on approach, but WTF do I know?

Anyway, while checking out this site, I see a big "blip" out east of me, heading N along the I-15 corridor. I click on it, and it's an "Omega Air" DC10.  That's fucking interesting man. This is a very old airframe.  Went into service in 1982 to JAL.  Because of its age and flight path, I assume it's a freighter headed to ONT.  OK, whatever.

Then a few minutes later, I see another big blip, and it's a fucking Omega Air 707.  I didn't even know that they are still flying.  It's not more than 40 miles from the DC10. So, I'm asking myself who the fuck is Omega?  Well the googles says it's an aerial refueling company that contracts with the military.  This particular airplane went in service with the Saudi Government in 1979.   

There is some old metal way up yonder.  

My grandfather flew the DC-3 for Pan Am. He started his career on the DC-3 and finished it on the 747. The true glory days.   I haven’t watched that full episode but I will when I have a little more time. I did a little research real quick just to see if he might’ve flown that exact airframe but he didn’t, that one started life as a C-47 before they restored it and painted it in Pan Am livery.  Very cool though. 

• Like 2

Got to ride on a Civil Air Transport C-47 from Taipei to Hong Kong in 1958. Still had the original WWII interior “accommodations” plus a long range fuel tank in the cabin opposite our seats.

I can only imagine how long that flight felt. I took a joy ride around DFW in the back of one with modern seats that lasted maybe 45 minutes. It was enough for me. Maybe would’ve been a different story had I been flying.

The flight was a good 4 hours as I recall. CAT pilots were not allowed to fly close to mainland China then (didn’t want to get shot down by the Chicoms), so they took a dogleg course down the west coast of Taiwan then straight over to Kai Tak airport. 

Also, the CAT C47 did not refuel there (political reasons) but easily made the return trip, as it was only about 600 miles each way. Plane had a 1,600 mile range, and we had the auxiliary tank in the cabin too. A Chinese coolie crewman baggage handler laid on top of it on a grass mat reading comic books & smoked cigarettes all the way... both ways. Lulz

• Like 1

The Chicago Air and Water Show is this weekend, which means that I'll be spending the next two days looking out my office window instead of doing work.

The Blue Angels are currently out farting around the area.  In what should come as no great surprise, they do not show up on FlightAware. 

These pictures probably suck (especially after Crapatalk inevitably compresses them) but whatever. Enjoy. Or don't!

893eff9d9e70ebe37358de988e14db65.jpg3e9b1dc9c3b3e894167900cf51fedc61.jpg5b492f3273f749c2cfbd5c2209c70687.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Checking in.  18 hours in the logbook.  Sounds like I will be soloing for the first time pretty soon.

Any thoughts?  Both very excited and nervous.

Nice! 

Something you might not think about, but the plane will feel more nimble/agile without your instructor in there. I've seen students have a tendency to pull a little too hard on the flare because they're not used to the lighter weight.

Have fun! Be nervous, that's totally fine! Take a second to compose yourself before you call for taxi. It's a fun, exhilarating experience, and something comparatively few people get to say they've ever done.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:59 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Thanks.  I'm more nervous away from the airport,  but once I'm there it's business as usual.   Emergency practice and a few landings scheduled  for this coming Tuesday morning.   Then, Thursday morning for the solo, all things considered. 

Really appreciate the support from you guys.

How did it go?

We were weathered out today with the storm to the North (in Longview), so we will probably be moving everything out a lesson.  Perhaps this weekend for the solo.  I've visualized this damn thing in my head so many times I'm ready for the next thing. :)

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 11:37 AM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

We were weathered out today with the storm to the North (in Longview), so we will probably be moving everything out a lesson.  Perhaps this weekend for the solo.  I've visualized this damn thing in my head so many times I'm ready for the next thing. :)

Where are you based?  I soloed about 30 years ago.  At the time, it was just preflight and 3 takeoffs and landings.  Instructor went with me for two go 'rounds before turning it over to me.  You mentioned Longview.  I'm in Tyler.  So I recognize your weather issues yesterday (it was nice and cool for us ground dwellers).  Soloed in Houston out of W. Houston Airport after learning at Westheimer Airpark's postage stamp of a runway and doing some interim work at Andrau (R.I.P.).

Just work the checklist, pick a spot on the runway, hold that yoke like you've got a pencil beneath your fingers, and bleed off power so  you grease the landing.  No worries.  Good luck!

Thanks, dcbc.  I live in Hallsville and my instructor's school is at East Texas Regional (KGGG).

Went up this morning and did 10 landings in the pattern to shake off some rust, had been over a week since last lesson.  Got done and he endorsed my logbook for solo.  I will solo on Sunday morning (weather permitting as always).  The plan will be to do 3 touch-and-go's and 1 go around with him.  Then we will taxi back and he will get out.  First landing will be a full stop and taxi back to review.  Then next 2 landings will be full stop, but instead of taxiing back to base, I will stay on the taxiways.

• Like 1

Great day today.  Did the solo.  Did the 3 landings with no issues.  Man, that thing hauls ass with no one else in there.   And I learned to have to pull out the power a little earlier because i floated a bunch on the first landing.  I was expecting it, but was like, when will it descend.  What a day.  Will remember it for a long time.  Glad to get to move on to the next step.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Great day today.  Did the solo.  Did the 3 landings with no issues.  Man, that thing hauls ass with no one else in there.   And I learned to have to pull out the power a little earlier because i floated a bunch on the first landing.  I was expecting it, but was like, when will it descend.  What a day.  Will remember it for a long time.  Glad to get to move on to the next step.

Congrats!  You'll never forget it.