The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

image.jpeg.483087ae06e7925d5e8b404739ff02c6.jpeg

Better picture.

Textron has been flying a wide variety of makes and models over Marion Co, KS since the first of the year. They are always accompanied by a Beech Denali or a Cessna Sky Courier, two of their latest releases. I'm not sure why they chose us to fly over but I've been enjoying it.

Discover the New Kodiak 100 Series III Turboprop | AvBuyer

image.jpeg

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
Just playing with images
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 10:12 PM, McCroskey said:

Booked a Delta flight to Maine the other day for this summer and the last leg is a code-share on Cape Air on one of their Cessna 340s out of BOS.  I'm fascinated.

I didn’t realize they were phasing out their Twin Cessnas. Rode one of those from Lebanon, NH to Boston on the way home once. 

We had 30 mph winds with 40-50 mph gusts yesterday and had a grassfire get away to the west of us. An old S-2A anti-sub plane from a local cropduster was flying sorties to the fire over my house. Pretty cool plane that I had never seen before.

This is the same plane before the crop duster got it.

https://fireaviation.com/2019/07/31/an-s-2-air-tanker-is-ready-to-fight-fire-in-kansas/S-2 air tanker N477DF

I'm close to finishing up my PPL. I have started looking at planes recently...I know horrible time to buy a plane. There is a family friend that recently lost his medical and will be selling a Beechcraft Sierra in the near future. Does anyone have time in this plane? Any pros or cons compared to a 172 or 182?

Too bad the airliners don’t have that same swivel-crab landing gear. 

That is so cool. My son was a crew chief on a B52 and this landing gear design was a secret until fairly recently.

These planes are incredible machines and serve so many roles. We will get 100 years out of that airframe. Buffs are so cool and badass. America.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

That’s awesome. We sent some exchangers to Qatar on its smaller brother. That plane was impressive enough. 

This was back in the late 90’s, and we had one of the early Sony digital cameras and took a bunch of pix, with a 3-1/2” floppy drive for media.  We stored the photos on our (not very secure) office server.  Later that year, someone opened a virus file that went through our server and deleted every jpg file. 

My project was a gas compressor skid and went to Turkey. 

Edited by CycleTex87

I'm close to finishing up my PPL. I have started looking at planes recently...I know horrible time to buy a plane. There is a family friend that recently lost his medical and will be selling a Beechcraft Sierra in the near future. Does anyone have time in this plane? Any pros or cons compared to a 172 or 182?

What variant?

On 2/24/2022 at 8:54 PM, Telegraph_it said:

C421 update from earlier before. Everything behind the firewall is almost completed. Plane will be going to get new avionics panel next. Then new interior. And finally new paint.

We are thinking of copying the paint on this vision jet. No not really but the jet is pretty cool. 

5CBC8D38-0132-4E2B-AC6D-2ADF132FC031.thumb.jpeg.fc436be58179079d37c2a393e2b5573a.jpeg

We ended up going with a 90 with replacement Blackhawks. Should take delivery in a couple of weeks hopefully. It took all of about a day to get a contract on the Baron.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

We ended up going with a 90 with replacement Blackhawks. Should take delivery in a couple of weeks hopefully. It took all of about a day to get a contract on the Baron.

Good choice.  Sell it within 500 hours and you'll make money.  But you probably won't want to sell it!

https://www.blackhawk.aero/upgrade/king-air-90-xp135a/

22 hours ago, markstanco said:

Engine out in a C205 at 9000 feet.  Took him a while to glide down, which I am sure he was pleased with.

Nice landing, but setting up a gofundme page to cover the cost of his engine replacement is bad form in my opinion.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Nice landing, but setting up a gofundme page to cover the cost of his engine replacement is bad form in my opinion.  

I totally agree!!  I saw that and laughed when he only had $220 or 50K.  A gofundme for a funeral or sickness I think is okay, but when you start one for your hobby it is a bit different.  

Having said that I think I want the new Taylor Made driver but yall should pay for it.  Cool?

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap!!!

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/hulu-red-bull-plane-swap-livestream-1235206386/?fbclid=IwAR0ytLaty2JZ1X_9fGf-T3ca2FL7CgjPPUxB9R8vX6FEp-LdGHaWSEWyCaU

Hulu Will Livestream Red Bull’s Unprecedented Plane-Swap Skydiving Stunt Exclusively in U.S.

By Todd Spangler

Plus Icon

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Hulu Red Bull - Plane Swap
Courtesy of Red Bull Media House

Hulu is presenting Red Bull’s latest death-defying aerial stunt as the exclusive U.S. livestreaming partner. The opportunistic rights pickup shows how Disney is hunting for new head-turning opportunities to help Hulu stand out in the crowded streaming market.

In Red Bull’s Plane Swap event, set for Sunday, April 24, skydivers and pilots Luke Aikins and Andy Farrington — each piloting single-seat Cessna aircrafts to 14,000 feet in the skies over Arizona — will put their planes into a vertical nosedive. They’ll then jump out in midair at 140 mph (leaving the cockpits empty) and attempt to skydive into each other’s planes as they hurtle toward the ground.

The never-before-attempted Plane Swap stunt will be livestreamed on Hulu beginning at 4 p.m. PT on April 24. Hulu is the exclusive streaming partner of Plane Swap in the U.S. (available to all subscribers) and Red Bull TV is the broadcast platform for rest of the world. On Hulu, the event also will be available to watch on-demand starting the next day.

38 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Holy crap!!!

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/hulu-red-bull-plane-swap-livestream-1235206386/?fbclid=IwAR0ytLaty2JZ1X_9fGf-T3ca2FL7CgjPPUxB9R8vX6FEp-LdGHaWSEWyCaU

Hulu Will Livestream Red Bull’s Unprecedented Plane-Swap Skydiving Stunt Exclusively in U.S.

By Todd Spangler

Plus Icon

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Hulu Red Bull - Plane Swap
Courtesy of Red Bull Media House

Hulu is presenting Red Bull’s latest death-defying aerial stunt as the exclusive U.S. livestreaming partner. The opportunistic rights pickup shows how Disney is hunting for new head-turning opportunities to help Hulu stand out in the crowded streaming market.

In Red Bull’s Plane Swap event, set for Sunday, April 24, skydivers and pilots Luke Aikins and Andy Farrington — each piloting single-seat Cessna aircrafts to 14,000 feet in the skies over Arizona — will put their planes into a vertical nosedive. They’ll then jump out in midair at 140 mph (leaving the cockpits empty) and attempt to skydive into each other’s planes as they hurtle toward the ground.

The never-before-attempted Plane Swap stunt will be livestreamed on Hulu beginning at 4 p.m. PT on April 24. Hulu is the exclusive streaming partner of Plane Swap in the U.S. (available to all subscribers) and Red Bull TV is the broadcast platform for rest of the world. On Hulu, the event also will be available to watch on-demand starting the next day.

goofy mofos

On 3/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, markstanco said:

Engine out in a C205 at 9000 feet.  Took him a while to glide down, which I am sure he was pleased with.

I always loved cruising at about 2000 feet to look at shit on the ground. This just goes to show that altitude gives you more time to get mentally prepared, and gives you options on where to go. Out by our lease, it's probably safe to be near FL 10k. It's easily 30-40 miles between useable runways.

CHIEF

16 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I always loved cruising at about 2000 feet to look at shit on the ground. This just goes to show that altitude gives you more time to get mentally prepared, and gives you options on where to go. Out by our lease, it's probably safe to be near FL 10k. It's easily 30-40 miles between useable runways.

CHIEF

I used to get down to 500 feet and run the Red River to scout for ducks.  It was always a little unnerving. 

When I was a student, I did a XC from KTXK - KOSA - KATA - KTXK.  On the KOSA-KATA leg I was over the Sulphur River and a WMA.  I remember thinking "if I lose an engine now, Ive got nothing but marsh pine trees."

• Hook 'Em 1

L3 does a bunch of defense-related aviation stuff there.

Just testing out the latest rehabbed -135. The newest of which is from 1963. I keep thinking they’ll replace them with…something? Yet there they are. A flying dinosaur. That said, so is the C-130, the B-52 and the U-2 for that matter.

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Just testing out the latest rehabbed -135. The newest of which is from 1963. I keep thinking they’ll replace them with…something? Yet there they are. A flying dinosaur. That said, so is the C-130, the B-52 and the U-2 for that matter.

If it works, it works.  No telling how many generations of comm and chaff evasion devices those hulks have had in them.  Love those C-130 mods with the cannons!

On 3/25/2022 at 9:45 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

If it works, it works.  No telling how many generations of comm and chaff evasion devices those hulks have had in them.  Love those C-130 mods with the cannons!

True, but you hear about galley fires, etc., and you wonder just how long those war horses can last.  That said, we have a fleet or R model 135s gassing everything up so I suppose "forever" is the answer.  

55 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

True, but you hear about galley fires, etc., and you wonder just how long those war horses can last.  That said, we have a fleet or R model 135s gassing everything up so I suppose "forever" is the answer.  

You probably know more about this than I do but I see the KC-46 Pegasus overhead often. I'm not sure how many of them McConnell AFB has but it looks like the replacement for the 135 is in the works.

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

You probably know more about this than I do but I see the KC-46 Pegasus overhead often. I'm not sure how many of them McConnell AFB has but it looks like the replacement for the 135 is in the works.

I hear you on the KC-46, but I'm not sure if an airframe design that dates back to the late 70s/early 80s is the answer.  Of course, the "brand new" P-8 says "hello."  

Speaking of the KC-46, what a shitshow that procurement process was.  And deliveries seems to leave something to be desired.  Boeing really lost it's mojo when they sent their beancounters and C levels to live in Chicago rather than Seattle.  They lost their touch with the people actually making the airplanes and it shows.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Yeah, the design is older but I don't think that precludes it from being a solid replacement. With all of the cargo it has hauled over the years I think its proven. You are absolutely right about the beancounter vs engineer war that Boeing had and the shenanigans in procurement.

The 767 isn’t a new design, but they are new airplanes, and their avionics  and systems are generations past the 135’s. 

• Like 1