The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

I'll repost this from TOS.

My dad flew privately for forty years.

This is him in front of his Twin Beech Excalibur some time in the late 50s/early 60s in Argentina.

QUGq1h8.jpg

This is the 1967 Jet Commander he finished up on.  Photo is of the plane around 2003 after a repower.  His company sold it in 1983.  It's currently mothballed in Cairo because don't break down in Cairo.

584JCZA.jpg

Just now, Chuychanga said:

Checking in.  Fly safe assholes. 

I know you're not an IAH guy anymore, but did you know that Aunt Annie's in E gave crew $1 large sodas?  Did you know that. I didn't know that. I just found that out yesterday. Pissed at the USD I overpaid for years. 

Still trying to find time to get my second solo x-country done, Hopefully gonna make a Midland/Austin run  with a stop in the middle somewhere in the next couple of weeks.

Also, I'm excited to possibly get some right seat time in a king air next week.

17 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Just dropping in with some aviation history.

On March 27, 1968, Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the first man to orbit the Earth in 1961, died when his MiG-15 jet crashed during a routine training flight near Moscow; he was 34.

That history lesson smells funny, wonder what Yuri knew...

On 3/27/2018 at 7:17 AM, El Diablo said:

Just dropping in with some aviation history.

On March 27, 1968, Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the first man to orbit the Earth in 1961, died when his MiG-15 jet crashed during a routine training flight near Moscow; he was 34.

Ah, the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin!

20 hours ago, DaysOff said:

https://www.southwestpleasehire.me

Probably deserves to be in the millennial thread or whatever comes after them. Don't do this kids. Just don't. 

Nope. Nope. Nope. God that’s painful to read and watch.    Luckily, in this case at least, shit like that will get him nowhere. I’ve tried to get a couple guys interviews that have very impressive resumes and a personal history with Southwest and the hiring team has told me each time it’s strictly up to the computer algorithm to sort out the resumes and decide which one to get interviews.  

There was some other jackwagon recently who showed up to an SWA job fair  wearing a shirt, tie, jacket, and LUV boxer shorts. No pants.  These idiots still think it’s Herb’s a little airline and that wacky shit will help them out. It has not been like that for a long time and from what I’ve seen it’s just as corporate as any other place up at headquarters.   Boxer guy was allowed to stay but was not granted an interview.  I bet this guy won’t be either. 

6 hours ago, Cosimo de' Medici said:

Had a Mega-Millions daydream session yesterday afternoon and came across this.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/24460435/1999-gulfstream-v

That's an antique - the G650ER is where it's at today.

http://www.gulfstream.com/aircraft/gulfstream-g650er

Edited by Armybrat

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
21 hours ago, Cosimo de said:
Had a Mega-Millions daydream session yesterday afternoon and came across this.
https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/24460435/1999-gulfstream-v

You just want to sniff Greg Norman's old farts, don't you?

Decided to move on, those engines are toast

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2018/03/drone-may-have-caused-waihi-plane-crash.html

Drone may have caused Waihi plane crash

The pilot of a plane that crash-landed in Waihi says a drone may be to blame.

Veteran broadcaster Rod Vaughan and his son Richard were on a recreational flight over the Western Bay on Wednesday afternoon, using a small plane belonging to the Hauraki Aviation Club.

At about 3:10pm the plane's windscreen "exploded" and a rush of air filled the cockpit, Mr Vaughan told the Bay of Plenty Times.

"The wind coming through was so forceful that it blew my headset into the back of the plane, so I had no communications."

Airways New Zealand told Newshub the incident occurred outside of controlled airspace so the pilot was not in communication with air traffic control.

The plane's other windows also blew out, forcing Mr Vaughan to make an emergency crash landing.

Rod Vaughan suffered a large gash in his head after the crash landing. Photo credit: Supplied

He landed hard in a field south of Waihi, clipping a hedge and tipping over after impact. Both passengers were left hanging upside down, still strapped into their harnesses.

After leaving the plane, Mr Vaughan and his son were taken to Tauranga Hospital and treated for contusions and a large gash, respectively.

Neither man saw what shattered the windscreen, but Mr Vaughan told the Bay of Plenty Times that the "most probable explanation" is that it was a drone, as there had been reports of drone activity in the area.

If his suspicions prove correct, this would be the first time a drone has caused an aircraft to crash in New Zealand.

Mr Vaughan says the use of drones needs to be more tightly regulated to prevent similar incidents in future.

The Civil Aviation Authority told Newshub they are investigating the crash.

One of their investigators intends to speak to Mr Vaughan of the aircraft on Thursday afternoon to try and find out exactly what happened.

They will be talking to witnesses and others during this information-gathering stage, and it is unknown how long the investigation is expected to take.

On Sunday a drone came within 5m of an Air New Zealand plane as it landed at Auckland Airport.

rod-vaughan-bleeding-1120-supplied.jpg

Edited by markstanco

Just a reminder that there's an airshow in CenTex this weekend at the TSTC airport near Waco. Army Frogs, Navy Seals, Blue Angels. Prolly lots of static displays with plenty of old warbirds. Just listening to those bastards rumblin' overhead will get your blood pumping. Weather is supposed to be a bit on the blustery/raw side tomorrow but if you can tolerate that you should have a good time. Don't be a pussy, take the kids, they'll remember it for years.

www.heartoftexasairshow.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heard that 20+ years ago and it still hasn't come to fruition. In fact the airline industry is mandated to do high altitude stalls and upset training because a couple of frenchies didn't have basic stick and rudder skills. And the Colgan dipshit. Don't see it happening. 

Edited by DaysOff
  • Like 1

I'm safe and sound out here in Germany.

Hard to watch the video of the crash.  I'm not going to speculate on the cause of it but it takes something significant to take a 4-engine aircraft out of the air like that.  RIP to the crew though.  I've lost friends in aviation accidents but it hurts just as hard when you don't know them because military aircrew are a pretty tight knit group and you know it could have just as easily been you.

• Like 1