Tell me about the University of Southern California

Zavala

• 1 month later...

OKC sports radio was talking about this today... Their theory is that Lincoln Riley is just a shitty person and he doesn't like Heupel (who he replaced as OC) just because he's a douche. Anyway, the Sports Animal guys say LR is blocking Bru's immediate eligibility to Tennessee even though he took a few players from there over the summer. They forgot to mention that Bru's transferred like 3 times already or that Bru is a girlfriend beater. It's funny how much they hate LR. 

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/2022/08/19/tennessee-football-usc-transfer-bru-mccoy-not-eligible-out-of-my-control/10216055002/

Spoiler

It appears Tennessee football will finish preseason practice with Southern Cal transfer wide receiver Bru McCoy still not eligible.

"There are some things that are out of my control and Bru's control and our administration's control in this process," coach Josh Heupel said.

"Everybody on our side is working as hard as they possibly can to make sure we come to a resolution as quickly as possible and give the kid an opportunity to go play."

McCoy must receive a release from USC or get a waiver from the NCAA to become eligible immediately. Either way, cooperation from USC would move the process along.

McCoy's multiple transfers in the past is the obstacle. 

The NCAA allows players to transfer once without sitting out a season. In January 2019, McCoy enrolled at USC, transferred to Texas several weeks later for spring practice and then transferred back to USC that summer before playing a college game.

"Our administration has done everything that they possibly can," Heupel said. "They've been great throughout the entire process from the very beginning, and they're still working as hard as they can to give him the opportunity to play."

On Friday, Tennessee held its final practice open to media. It will finish preseason practice on Saturday and start preparation next week for the season opener.

The Vols will play Ball State on Thursday, Sept. 1 at Neyland Stadium.

But if McCoy is not eligible, he will slip back in the rotation so other receivers can get extra reps. On Friday, sophomore Walker Merrill, freshman Kaleb Webb and walk-on Grant Frerking were ahead of McCoy in drills viewed by media.

Otherwise, McCoy has played well in recent practices and an intrasquad scrimmage last week.

"Getting (McCoy) prepared and being able to rep (game-like situations), you'd like that before you start your regular game plan week," Heupel said. "That's essentially seven days before kickoff, the best-case scenario when you're able to work him and incorporate him for what it's going to look like when we run out of the tunnel."

McCoy was a five-star prospect and the No. 1 athlete in the 2019 recruiting class. He took a redshirt in 2019, played six games (three starts) in 2020 and did not play in 2021. He has two seasons of eligibility remaining, according to Tennessee’s official website.

McCoy had off-the-field issues at USC, but that doesn't appear to be a factor in his eligibility.

McCoy was arrested on July 24, 2021, on suspicion of felony intimate partner violence following an alleged incident with his ex-girlfriend and suspended by USC. But the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office declined to file charges due to insufficient evidence in what it referred to as a “he said, she said domestic violence” case.

USC’s Title IX investigation was dropped in February because McCoy’s ex-girlfriend told USC she would not cooperate in a hearing or grant the school access to her medical records, the Los Angeles Times reported. Her restraining order against McCoy was upheld.

McCoy entered the transfer portal in January, announced his commitment to Tennessee in May and enrolled in June.

Heupel said Tennessee vetted McCoy before accepting his transfer.

"Those things always go through our administration, our compliance department, all the entities on campus," Heupel said. "We feel really good about who he is and how he's approached getting to Knoxville and becoming an integrated part of our football team and our campus life."

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

USC doesn't have an indoor facility big enough to run a timed 40?  WTF?

Pretty good weather in LA most of the time makes an indoor practice facility unnecessary.  Land being at a premium on and around campus means vanity projects like that don't get built.  The last few months California has been hit by storm after storm so this much rain is unusual, though it's a blessing considering most of the state has been suffering droughts for years.  I'm not certain but I think the indoor facility he is referring to is the McKay Center, which is not an indoor practice facility.  It's where the football offices, meeting rooms, weight room, tutoring center, training room etc are located.  I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a straight line long enough to do 40s in there.  It's not a huge palace like some schools have for their athletic buildings due to space limitations and you need closer to 60-70 yards to run 40s since the players don't come to a complete stop at 40 yards.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blinkin' was busy in portal again...

Last year, USC's transfer haul featured quarterback Caleb Williams—the 2022 Heisman Trophy winner—and plenty of key contributors, such as Travis Dye, Jordan Addison and Mario Williams.

And the Trojans are living in the portal again.

Running back MarShawn Lloyd (South Carolina), wideout Dorian Singer (Arizona) and offensive linemen Emmanuel Pregnon (Wyoming), Michael Tarquin (Florida) and Jarrett Kingston (Washington State) are potential starters.

On the defensive side, linemen Bear Alexander (Georgia), Anthony Lucas (Texas A&M), Jack Sullivan (Purdue) and Kyon Barrs (Arizona) should be major parts of the rotation. Mason Cobb (Oklahoma State) and Jamil Muhammad (Georgia State) figure to start at linebacker, while cornerback Christian Roland-Wallace (Arizona) has the same expectation.

Oh, for good measure, throw in punter Eddie Czaplicki (Arizona State). He paced the Pac-12 in yards per punt last season (minimum 45 punts).

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Blinkin' was busy in portal again...

Last year, USC's transfer haul featured quarterback Caleb Williams—the 2022 Heisman Trophy winner—and plenty of key contributors, such as Travis Dye, Jordan Addison and Mario Williams.

And the Trojans are living in the portal again.

Running back MarShawn Lloyd (South Carolina), wideout Dorian Singer (Arizona) and offensive linemen Emmanuel Pregnon (Wyoming), Michael Tarquin (Florida) and Jarrett Kingston (Washington State) are potential starters.

On the defensive side, linemen Bear Alexander (Georgia), Anthony Lucas (Texas A&M), Jack Sullivan (Purdue) and Kyon Barrs (Arizona) should be major parts of the rotation. Mason Cobb (Oklahoma State) and Jamil Muhammad (Georgia State) figure to start at linebacker, while cornerback Christian Roland-Wallace (Arizona) has the same expectation.

Oh, for good measure, throw in punter Eddie Czaplicki (Arizona State). He paced the Pac-12 in yards per punt last season (minimum 45 punts).

Riley is trying to design a roster capable of beating Utah.

13 minutes ago, SDG said:

Effective immediately is code for I fucked up.   

Or could be health.  Very surprising.

edit- yep, LA Times saying “health challenges”.  Hope he can overcome it.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Or could be health.  Very surprising.

edit- yep, LA Times saying “health challenges”.  Hope he can overcome it.

I know there are laws about health but usually “effective immediately” would be followed with the “for health reasons” caveat.   LA times must have updated their article.   

Normally when the “for health reasons” cover is floated there is rumors about how it’s bullshit… so far it has been fairly consistent of “oh shit” and so it sounds legit.

What makes it curious is that USC had a very ineffectual AD prior to this hire with the boosters showing major sway in even day to day operations. Can they hit a homer run two searches in a row? Much like the coaching tree, that isn’t a guarantee.

51 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Normally when the “for health reasons” cover is floated there is rumors about how it’s bullshit… so far it has been fairly consistent of “oh shit” and so it sounds legit.

What makes it curious is that USC had a very ineffectual AD prior to this hire with the boosters showing major sway in even day to day operations. Can they hit a homer run two searches in a row? Much like the coaching tree, that isn’t a guarantee.

President Folt hired Bohn and she has made some other extraordinary academic hires, so I have faith she'll make a strong hire for Bohn's replacement.  The most important priorities for a new AD are someone who won't get into a stupid dick-waving ego clash with Riley, someone who doesn't feel they have to make their own signature coaching hires to leave their mark and someone who isn't a dinosaur on NIL.  I'd also add "no former USC football players" but fortunately I think USC is past that idiocy.  The hardest work of hiring a good football coach and joining a better conference have already been done so the next AD just needs to keep his head down and not fuck anything up.

22 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

President Folt hired Bohn and she has made some other extraordinary academic hires, so I have faith she'll make a strong hire for Bohn's replacement.  The most important priorities for a new AD are someone who won't get into a stupid dick-waving ego clash with Riley, someone who doesn't feel they have to make their own signature coaching hires to leave their mark and someone who isn't a dinosaur on NIL.  I'd also add "no former USC football players" but fortunately I think USC is past that idiocy.  The hardest work of hiring a good football coach and joining a better conference have already been done so the next AD just needs to keep his head down and not fuck anything up.

There it is... Its not a major AD search without rumors of impropriety

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

Maybe. But it sounds more like sexual harassment. 

Yeah, he said health challenges.  The school didn’t.  I hate when bad things happen to good schools.  However, I LOVE when bad things happen to the worst school.  And no, that’s not OU.  My hate for SC is immeasurable.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

This is why Riley went to the west coast. At his old school the administrators were harassing dudes.

Bullshit. You don't get a belly tat unless tummysticks is the cornerstone of your workout regimen. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...