2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Longview has broken my heart too many times to get excited. This feels like it could be the year, so I'm planning on a loss next weekend versus Vanderwhatever ... Longview has to be the best program in the state by far never to have won it. Anybody know much about Vander? The record obviously impressive, but I don't know much about that district. I can barely even keep up with how the playoffs are done these days. :) Get off my yard, but I remember when one team / district made it, now basically half the schools make the playoffs it seems with so many classifications and playoffs. Texas high school playoffs have become bowls - too many to keep track of.

I saw them play Cedar Park, but the Cedar Park offense sucked this year. The Cedar Park QB was awful that game. Anyway, they aren't very athletic but have some size. I would expect Longview to beat them pretty easily. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

There’s no real competition for Longview in the bracket.

Agree with this. The 6A D2 bracket is not good this year at all. Would be a bitter disappointment if Longview didn't at least make it to state.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:22 PM, Reese Bennett said:

Sweat got at least one sack in the Huntsville-Manvel game. Huntsville held Manvel to the fewest number of points in any of their 36 playoff games.

Obligatory Sweat photo (not from Manvel game):

hhsfbvwhs83118120.jpg

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

DAMN THAT'S A BIG DUDE!

Need to post this photo every time someone comes onto the recruiting board to complain about having no DT's committed. 

20 hours ago, RegularSizedRudy said:

Haynes has a completion percentage of 72% and 33 TD's as well. He added TCU to his list of offers today. 

I've never seen Longview with an offense like this it the 18 or so years that I've been following them. Balanced and really efficient.

I've heard that LSU is his dream school, but they already have a 2020 QB commit and they picked up a silent commit for a 2nd 2020 QB yesterday, so it'll be interesting to see where he ends up. I think Card took his potential spot at Texas. 

On 11/25/2018 at 12:08 PM, TheBryMan81 said:

I was watching this game on YouTube... Weslaco is my alma mater and some of my old teammates still teach and coach there. I was at their game last week against Harlingen. 

I agree with your assessment though.  QB has actually improved in accuracy since last year and hopefully continues to improve as a senior next year, but he's not a top level passer.  QB run game has been the staple of our offense this year and he's done a good job running the offense.  I'd say top 3 - 5 team in the valley this year.  Defense has played very well and very physical all year, but I doubt they'll be able to contain Card/Wilson. Should be an easy win for LT.

Just tagging on to a similar post, but this is the time every year where I hope for just one upset. I think there's 6 valley teams left, if 1 of them wins it will be a huge year for the region. My money is on my connection to the Region, the mighty La Feria Lions playing La Vernia for the 4A Area.

Really interested to see if Edinburg Vela can keep it respectable with Westlake. They're 12-0. I was originally kind of disappointed they didn't schedule an out-of-region game, but they've beat both Weslaco and Hanna (who are both still playing this weekend). Hanna also beat Amarillo Tascosa, who is playing this weekend. I think they might have the most hope for the 6A teams against Brandeis.

2 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Just tagging on to a similar post, but this is the time every year where I hope for just one upset. I think there's 6 valley teams left, if 1 of them wins it will be a huge year for the region. My money is on my connection to the Region, the mighty La Feria Lions playing La Vernia for the 4A Area.

Really interested to see if Edinburg Vela can keep it respectable with Westlake. They're 12-0. I was originally kind of disappointed they didn't schedule an out-of-region game, but they've beat both Weslaco and Hanna (who are both still playing this weekend). Hanna also beat Amarillo Tascosa, who is playing this weekend. I think they might have the most hope for the 6A teams against Brandeis.

Mission Vets & La Feria have the best chance to advance. Mission should be favored over CC Vets, Mission Vets QB Gilpin will be the best player on the field that game. 

10 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Vela was undefeated last year before playing Westlake.  They got obliterated, annihilated, destroyed, decimated, etc...  Probably won't be that bad this year.

18 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Vela was undefeated last year before playing Westlake.  They got obliterated, annihilated, destroyed, decimated, etc...  Probably won't be that bad this year.

Westlake seems to have a cakewalk to a state championship trophy this year, I don’t see anyone that can contend with them in D2. All the great teams went D1. Maybe Longview, but they’ll slip up before they make the title game.

Westlake seems to have a cakewalk to a state championship trophy this year, I don’t see anyone that can contend with them in D2. All the great teams went D1. Maybe Longview, but they’ll slip up before they make the title game.

Westlake’s district is an absolute joke. It’s hard to know how good WL is or isn’t because they haven’t played anyone outside of LT who is just as suspect.

My daughter plays VB at WL and it’s the same thing there. I wish WL was still in a district with the Austin Northern suburbs. The level of competition in most sports from AISD just sucks and the WL VB team was completely unprepared for a team that punched them in the mouth once they got to the playoffs. I figure the FB team is due the same reckoning at some point.

12 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Of course I consider something like 42-21 "respectable". They don't score 60, you put up multiple touchdowns, everybody wins!

12 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Westlake’s district is an absolute joke. It’s hard to know how good WL is or isn’t because they haven’t played anyone outside of LT who is just as suspect.

My daughter plays VB at WL and it’s the same thing there. I wish WL was still in a district with the Austin Northern suburbs. The level of competition in most sports from AISD just sucks and the WL VB team was completely unprepared for a team that punched them in the mouth once they got to the playoffs. I figure the FB team is due the same reckoning at some point.

our old district with Vandy, VR and Leander wasnt any better. Just swap Vandy for Bowie and the rest was pretty much the same in football. 

our old district with Vandy, VR and Leander wasnt any better. Just swap Vandy for Bowie and the rest was pretty much the same in football. 

Vandy is much better than Bowie (and a definite upgrade in VB) - they are 12-0 this year. They are a growing power - the entire area they draw from is very similar to WL and LT

2018 Bowie is what we can expect from them going forward IMO.

11 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Vandy is much better than Bowie (and a definite upgrade in VB) - they are 12-0 this year. They are a growing power - the entire area they draw from is very similar to WL and LT

2018 Bowie is what we can expect from them going forward IMO.

i know Vandy well. My son's gf is the principal there. Their fb team sucks and will continue to suck moving forward. 

i know Vandy well. My son's gf is the principal there. Their fb team sucks and will continue to suck moving forward. 

They literally lost 2 games this year across 3 Freshmen teams, 2 JV teams, and Varsity. This is as bad as your “Garrett Wilson is going to UT” take. Vandy is a very small 6A school and have advanced deep in the playoffs in 5A historically. And Surly demands pics of the girlfriend.

22 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

They literally lost 2 games this year across 3 Freshmen teams, 2 JV teams, and Varsity. This is as bad as your “Garrett Wilson is going to UT” take. Vandy is a very small 6A school and have advanced deep in the playoffs in 5A historically. And Surly demands pics of the girlfriend.

and how did those teams do against LT and WL last year? i bet they went 0-6 against both WL and LT. I was kidding when I said Vandy sucks. I like em just fine but they arent any better than Bowie at this point. 

and how did those teams do against LT and WL last year? i bet they went 0-6 against both WL and LT. I was kidding when I said Vandy sucks. I like em just fine but they arent any better than Bowie at this point. 

WL needed a Nakia Watson last minute miracle to beat Vandy last year.

The chaps embarrassed Bowie this year (and last year) in a game where Higgins was ejected for too many personal fouls.

I don’t think much of aisd and I wish we could pick and choose a district that is better for everyone with Vandy and perhaps some of the RR schools.

Alas, we are stuck with games against the like of Akins and Del Valle for the next year at least.

5 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

WL needed a Nakia Watson last minute miracle to beat Vandy last year.

The chaps embarrassed Bowie this year (and last year) in a game where Higgins was ejected for too many personal fouls.

I don’t think much of aisd and I wish we could pick and choose a district that is better for everyone with Vandy and perhaps some of the RR schools.

Alas, we are stuck with games against the like of Akins and Del Valle for the next year at least.

oh i agree with that. its boring and awful and does little to prepare LT or WL for the playoffs. But I would rather play in Austin at interesting venues than the NW burbs if we are going to continue to play meh teams.

oh i agree with that. its boring and awful and does little to prepare LT or WL for the playoffs. But I would rather play in Austin at interesting venues than the NW burbs if we are going to continue to play meh teams.

Ha. So you just like games at House Park. Well. You got me there. Can’t beat that stadium.
  • Like 2

LT has 1,000+ greater enrollment and won 40-28 with a sophomore starting at QB for Vandy. You’re wrong, admit it. And pics?

9 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

LT has 1,000+ greater enrollment and won 40-28 with a sophomore starting at QB for Vandy. You’re wrong, admit it. And pics?

Admit I am wrong about what? Ok, I admit it that Vandy is a shitty third place team just like Bowie that offered very little resistance to LT or WL. 

Admit I am wrong about what? Ok, I admit it that Vandy is a shitty third place team just like Bowie that offered very little resistance to LT or WL. 

12 points with 1,000 greater enrollment. Yeah, that’s no resistance? The 44-14 ass raping LT took against WL this year was borderline erotic.

Just now, Tree Fidy said:

Ha! Just jackin with ya. bandy is not a state championship contender...yet. But, school has only been around since 2010 and has had plenty of on (and off) field success.

yeah like i said, i really like vandy and have a personal connection to the school. i wish LT and WL could have taken Vandy with them. I know they wanted to.

On 11/26/2018 at 2:56 PM, Kyle said:

Longview has broken my heart too many times to get excited. This feels like it could be the year, so I'm planning on a loss next weekend versus Vanderwhatever ... Longview has to be the best program in the state by far never to have won it. Anybody know much about Vander? The record obviously impressive, but I don't know much about that district. I can barely even keep up with how the playoffs are done these days. :) Get off my yard, but I remember when one team / district made it, now basically half the schools make the playoffs it seems with so many classifications and playoffs. Texas high school playoffs have become bowls - too many to keep track of.

1937 State Champs.  Feels like yesterday

• Like 1

North Shore vs Katy Friday night..

Article on North Shore's O-Line - averaging 302 LBS 😮.   6'6"  326lb RT,  330lb LG

Evans is great, but they play a pretty good part in it and NS QB success this year completing 71%.

https://texas.vype.com/houston/post/north-shore’s-trench-warriors-a-key-to-success/17483

Mission Vets & La Feria have the best chance to advance. Mission should be favored over CC Vets, Mission Vets QB Gilpin will be the best player on the field that game. 

We played Mission Vets last week. I didn’t know anything about them. Watched QB during warm ups and he seemed accurate. Nothing special. Slings the ball a lot, almost side arm. Then the game starts and we dropped 8 into coverage and he still picked us apart. Only reason we stop them in first half is WR’s dropped passes. Throws on the move almost every play. So then we finally try to rush him and our LB would get within arms reach and Gilpin would spin out and take off running and score. Was fast as shit and shocked me. They are solid up front on Defense too. If they both win this week, them vs Wagner should be interesting.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

We played Mission Vets last week. I didn’t know anything about them. Watched QB during warm ups and he seemed accurate. Nothing special. Slings the ball a lot, almost side arm. Then the game starts and we dropped 8 into coverage and he still picked us apart. Only reason we stop them in first half is WR’s dropped passes. Throws on the move almost every play. So then we finally try to rush him and our LB would get within arms reach and Gilpin would spin out and take off running and score. Was fast as shit and shocked me. They are solid up front on Defense too. If they both win this week, them vs Wagner should be interesting.

PointedPlumpGannet-small.gif

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 9:13 PM, Helobious said:

they'll get to the championship and lose a close one.  it's our tradition (minus Brees).

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Going to watch Jasper play West Orange Stark tonight. A family member is the Jasper DC.  They’ve had a good season. 

They beat WOS earlier.  But Jasper is banged up. Best DL broke his leg and best back hurt his ankle.  

epic rivalry game dating back to the beginning of time.

• Like 1