Manafort Trial

Grandioso

23 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Anyone have any perspective on how this rolls up to Trump?  Beyond the hope he turns after conviction( assuming).  

Not trolling or baiting.  Don’t see anything being speculated here or on a quick google.

Because this trial has significant public interest, it gives people a first hand look at how this shady international finance world works. Both Manafort and Gates look like career criminals in this.  These were Trump’s top campaign officials.  It doesn’t look great but everyone has pretty much accepted Trump’s entire outfit is filled with crooks from top to bottom so I don’t see any immediate political damage.

37 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Anyone have any perspective on how this rolls up to Trump?  Beyond the hope he turns after conviction( assuming).  

Not trolling or baiting.  Don’t see anything being speculated here or on a quick google.

Person X was Donald Trump's Campaign Chairman.

Person X (presuming conviction) is a convicted of bank fraud, money laundering, and illegal tax avoidance.

And that's just this trial -- there's another one coming.

He was your campaign chairman, Donald.  Come on.  That's how it rolls up to him.  He collected a crew of con men, crooks, and grifters to be part of his team.  That's, ummm, some bad judgment.  At best.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Person X (presuming conviction) is a convicted of bank fraud, money laundering, and illegal tax avoidance.

He was your campaign chairman, Donald.  Come on.  That's how it rolls up to him.  He collected a crew of con men, crooks, and grifters to be part of his team.  That's, ummm, some bad judgment.  At best.

The BEST people.  Did I say best PEOPLE?  I MEANT BEST CRIMINALS.

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The BEST people.  Did I say best PEOPLE?  I MEANT BEST CRIMINALS.

I for one can't wait for those tax returns to be released. But I'm not holding my breath, I'll be satisfied as long as Mueller gets them, which is something I'm confident will happen if it hasn't already. Okay, back to your regularly scheduled trial thread.

1 hour ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Generally true. But in this case the judge is old AF and on senior status, so I doubt his case load is too heavy.   

Valid point.  He's the same age as Sparks, and some senior judges take on a pretty good load.  Regardless, by force of habit, they tend to force counsel to make "good use" of everyone's time.  Good being solely in the judgment of the judge.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Because this trial has significant public interest, it gives people a first hand look at how this shady international finance world works. Both Manafort and Gates look like career criminals in this.  These were Trump’s top campaign officials.  It doesn’t look great but everyone has pretty much accepted Trump’s entire outfit is filled with crooks from top to bottom so I don’t see any immediate political damage.

Yeah, shame isn’t going to work.

30 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I for one can't wait for those tax returns to be released. But I'm not holding my breath, I'll be satisfied as long as Mueller gets them, which is something I'm confident will happen if it hasn't already. Okay, back to your regularly scheduled trial thread.

Tax returns won't be released to the public as a result of litigation unless someone fucks up. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6103

Assuming he can prove relevance, Mueller already has them.  Ibid.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Eh.  Manafort only worked on the campaign for "49 days or something".  Just ask Trump.

P.S.  It was roughly 150 days.

There is no doubt Trump is a buffoon who free formed the whole campaign.

Convicting a Tax Cheat is certainly a good thing(overall).  

If this trial gets to a conviction without more than fairly vauge guilt by association on Trump it will be handing Trump a big piece of political capital.

22 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

If this trial gets to a conviction without more than fairly vauge guilt by association on Trump it will be handing Trump a big piece of political capital.

I think you misunderstand the point of this trial. (1) It isn't about Trump; (2) It isn't even about really anything to do with the election other than exposing how corrupt Trump's campaign manager was; (3) Manafort has a second trial coming up that goes more to the heart of Russia's election meddling and Manafort's role in it. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

If the headline reads "Manafort Convicted!", that's not political capital for Trump.  Trumpsters can cry "yeah, but really it means..." all they want, but it's absolutely absurd to think it's anything but a good day for Mueller and shitty day for Trump 

51 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

You mean an association other than Paul Manafort being his campaign manager? That's not really all that vague.

47 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I think you misunderstand the point of this trial. (1) It isn't about Trump; (2) It isn't even about really anything to do with the election other than exposing how corrupt Trump's campaign manager was; (3) Manafort has a second trial coming up that goes more to the heart of Russia's election meddling and Manafort's role in it. 

Mea culpa.  I did not understand point 3.  

Is there strategy in seperate trials or some judicial requirement?  Both are federal charges.  

13 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Is there strategy in seperate trials or some judicial requirement?  Both are federal charges.  

As I understand it (admit that I haven't read it in depth), the defendant is tried in the district where the crime was committed.  For the historical financial crimes, that was the ED of VA.  For the other charges, he's going to be tried in DC.

16 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

There may be a strategy in it, but if I recall correct there was also jurisdictional or venue issue that prevented both from being tried together. 

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

should've also brought in Jack Abramoff for good measure...

37 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, if Manafort is convicted in this case, do the surly lawyers think he's more or less likely to try to make a deal on the other charges?

Not a lawyer but I don't think the government will be offering Manafort a deal after this, just a hunch from the things I've read. 

Lock his ass up and throw away the key looks to be the approach going forward. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not a lawyer but I don't think the government will be offering Manafort a deal after this, just a hunch from the things I've read. 

Lock his ass up and throw away the key looks to be the approach going forward. 

I assume there might be some wriggle room around his accommodations in prison and possibly seizure of assets.  On the latter, someone mention this was not tax evasion but filing false tax forms (or something like that.)  Is there the potential to pursue back taxes?  Did those pretty much get zero'd out in losses after his Ukrainian business dried up? Has it been too long?

I could that as leverage the Feds would be willing to use.  I don't see them being okay with Manafort walking, but I can't imagine there would be much stomach for impoverishing his household, despite there being legal and ethical justification to do so. 

According to Magionos, she found 31 foreign bank accounts opened from 2010 to 2014. All of the accounts listed Manafort, Gates, or Konstantin Kilimnik as beneficial owners and/or authorized signatories. (2/3)

Prosecutors asked her how she knew they were connected to Manafort? Simply enough - when opening the accounts, Manafort attached a copy of his passport. (3/3)

• Like 1

oh shit

Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano criticized U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III on Wednesday for his handling of special counsel Robert Mueller’s case against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

“I’m not happy with this judge,” Napolitano told Fox News’ Dana Perino. “He’s making too much of the case about him and he’s showing an extraordinary bias against the government. If you feel that negatively about the government, you shouldn’t be on the case, or you have to keep those feelings to yourself not manifest them.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/napolitano-judge-in-manafort-case-has-shown-extraordinary-bias-against-govt?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

10 hours ago, Tuco said:

I assume there might be some wriggle room around his accommodations in prison and possibly seizure of assets.  On the latter, someone mention this was not tax evasion but filing false tax forms (or something like that.)  Is there the potential to pursue back taxes?  Did those pretty much get zero'd out in losses after his Ukrainian business dried up? Has it been too long?

I could that as leverage the Feds would be willing to use.  I don't see them being okay with Manafort walking, but I can't imagine there would be much stomach for impoverishing his household, despite there being legal and ethical justification to do so. 

The IRS most certainly is after him for the unpaid taxes and there are very few defenses or exemptions from the IRS' collection efforts.  If he has it, they'll get it, apart and aside from the outcome of the criminal case, although conviction would help them prove their case, acquittal won't destroy it either.

18 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

oh shit

Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano criticized U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III on Wednesday for his handling of special counsel Robert Mueller’s case against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

“I’m not happy with this judge,” Napolitano told Fox News’ Dana Perino. “He’s making too much of the case about him and he’s showing an extraordinary bias against the government. If you feel that negatively about the government, you shouldn’t be on the case, or you have to keep those feelings to yourself not manifest them.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/napolitano-judge-in-manafort-case-has-shown-extraordinary-bias-against-govt?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Really dumb take.  The judge isn't doing this in front of the jury, for starts.  And, as has been observed on this thread, his treatment of the parties' attorneys has little to no bearing on the outcome of the case and might even reduce the grounds of appeal by Manafort.

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Really dumb take.  The judge isn't doing this in front of the jury, for starts.  And, as has been observed on this thread, his treatment of the parties' attorneys has little to no bearing on the outcome of the case and might even reduce the grounds of appeal by Manafort.

There was an attorney on NPR yesterday who has tried many cases in front of Judge Ellis. He said that the Judge's sarcasm and withering comments can make you feel really small when you're on the receiving end but that, in the end, the judge always sees to it that justice is done. 

Some of it has been in front of the jury, including continuing a dress down as the jury was being seated. I’m less wore about hostility towards the government as I am that he is rushing the Feds on technical explanations. Just because he gets it doesn’t mean the jury does. And, as they say, it’s easier to confuse a jury than to convince a judge.
  • Like 1

There have been a number of tense exchanges between the judge and prosecutors — some in front of the jury, some not — but this is the first time the govt has asked for an instruction like this. They argue the court incorrectly suggested to the jury the govt "acted improperly"

During this exchange yesterday, the prosecutor told the judge he had granted permission earlier and that the transcript would show that. The judge had still gotten upset and told the govt not to do it again. In today's motion, they attached the segment of that transcript

DkKL9_gXoAASXgo?format=jpg&name=small