CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yeah, BYU is a stretch, though I get it.  But if they play Utah, I have no rooting interest, I just don't care.  If they played Miami or even FSU, I'll root for them.  I'll generally root against every SEC team though.  I recognize the B1G as the defacto #2 conference so they're sitting pretty, though I don't find myself openly rooting against them.  And it's not really just rooting against a team.  It's if they're on, will I watch?  A team like FSU or UCLA moves the needle for me a bit more than KSU or Baylor.  Now, ratings could prove me wrong of course.

Yeah, I know BYU is a huge stretch, just going for kind of a really poor man's version of ND to the Catholics. But name a team in the new Big 12 anyone gives a shit about? And that'll be their obstacle when there are on the fence, tie breaker type situations. I tried arguing with some OSU fan a few days back, mostly just busting balls, that the new Big 12 will be borderline G5.

Edited by Landomatic

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

It's all about teams that invoke emotions, and not just from a rival fan base.  We hate aggy and the thieves, but does anyone else?  I know for a fact everybody hates us, and often times it's because we're the most well known university from a hated state. Does anyone outside of the Big 12 fan base care who wins when ISU plays TCU?  Teams like USC and Miami invoke that emotion imo.  They just have that name cache.  Some of that is because they're based in high profile markets.  

Flipside is, I'm sure a lot of people want to see Bama lose just because they've been good for so long and SEC SEC. 

*evoke 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Fickell probably wants to get Cincinnati into the playoffs, and won’t leave until after AAC championship game at the earliest. If they make it into the playoffs he won’t leave until after they play. Teams may not want to wait that long for him. 

Sunday, December 5th might be a big day for Fickell...

Spoiler

The 2021 American Athletic Conference Football Championship Game will be a college football game played on Saturday, December 4, 2021. 

The Franklin contract screams “we don’t really want to keep you here but we don’t want to do a cos ch big search”. His buyout goes to 8M in 2023 which is affordable. His 10 year deal and 1M raise bring him to market (the new market) and are just enough to keep him from signing a new deal somewhere else.  PSU just doesn’t want to be the one who has to hire someone after all of the bigger names took their pick. If he produces big in the next year or two they look like geniuses. If he doesn’t it is cheaper than what KU is paying Charlie weis to be fired. 

12 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The Franklin contract screams “we don’t really want to keep you here but we don’t want to do a cos ch big search”. His buyout goes to 8M in 2023 which is affordable. His 10 year deal and 1M raise bring him to market (the new market) and are just enough to keep him from signing a new deal somewhere else.  PSU just doesn’t want to be the one who has to hire someone after all of the bigger names took their pick. If he produces big in the next year or two they look like geniuses. If he doesn’t it is cheaper than what KU is paying Charlie weis to be fired. 

That’s 8m times the number of years remaining on his contract

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, I know BYU is a huge stretch, just going for kind of a really poor man's version of ND to the Catholics. But name a team in the new Big 12 anyone gives a shit about? And that'll be their obstacle when there are on the fence, tie breaker type situations. I tried arguing with some OSU fan a few days back, mostly just busting balls, that the new Big 12 will be borderline G5.

I think you're mostly right, but you also drastically overrate the Pac12 in general. A boring oSu/TT game outdrew UCLA/USC last week. They really need one of UCLA or USC to be good or they get ass ratings outside of Oregon games.

Edited by SimonBolivar

That's hard to believe.  I have no affiliation with SoCal region, but the football fan in my watched the game.  I love that rivalry.

Yes the Tech/Okie Lite game generally sucked balls, especially for people just looking for an interesting contest.  It was basically the inverse of USC/UCLA... but drew bigger audience?

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Any info on whether they will they extend Cumbie's contract beyond the 2022 season ??  

I think keeping him for at least a year is a good idea... 

Can't find anything contract/ timeline related other than Cumbie saying he wants to be there "year in and year out."

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

That's hard to believe.  I have no affiliation with SoCal region, but the football fan in my watched the game.  I love that rivalry.

Yes the Tech/Okie Lite game generally sucked balls, especially for people just looking for an interesting contest.  It was basically the inverse of USC/UCLA... but drew bigger audience?

There are a couple of factors...

1.) People in TX/OK like CFB

2.) oSu is a playoff contender and people watch the Top 10 generally

3.) USC is nearing rock bottom and UCLA is pedestrian as hell

4.) oSu/Tech was up against Oregon/Utah while USC/UCLA was against Arkansas/Bama which had a million more viewers than Oregon/Utah.

5.) It was close oSu/Tech had 1.91M and USC/UCLA had 1.84M

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

There are a couple of factors...

1.) People in TX/OK like CFB

2.) oSu is a playoff contender and people watch the Top 10 generally

3.) USC is nearing rock bottom and UCLA is pedestrian as hell

4.) oSu/Tech was up against Oregon/Utah while USC/UCLA was against Arkansas/Bama which had a million more viewers than Oregon/Utah.

5.) It was close oSu/Tech had 1.91M and USC/UCLA had 1.84M

Yep. There’s 16 million people out here likely hundreds of thousands of ucla/usc alumni and they still couldn’t fill the stadium.  We just don’t care as much about sports out here

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Can't find anything contract/ timeline related other than Cumbie saying he wants to be there "year in and year out."

Thought I heard Cumbie had 1yr left, and some thought bringing him back for 2022 makes a lot of sense for the new Tech Head Coach...  

Just now, closetohumping said:

Yep. There’s 16 million people out here likely hundreds of thousands of ucla/usc alumni and they still couldn’t fill the stadium.  We just don’t care as much about sports out here

Has the NFL made a dent in USC/UCLA? I see that used a lot as justification, but I don't have a finger to the pulse of SoCal.

Look at the top Pac12 game each week vs everyone else and it looks really bad for them most of the time unless Oregon can carry a game

Week 11 

B10- Michigan/Penn State 5.94M

SEC- UGA/Tenn 5.78M

B12- Baylor/OU 3.72M

ACC (ish)- ND/UVA 3.28M

Pac12- Wazzu/Oregon 1.99M which would've been 4th in the B10 that week.

AAC- Cincy/USF 1.16M

Week in and week out it's really a P2 world with the remaining 3 (ACC,B12,P12) getting half the viewers of the SEC and the B10.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Has the NFL made a dent in USC/UCLA? I see that used a lot as justification, but I don't have a finger to the pulse of SoCal.

Look at the top Pac12 game each week vs everyone else and it looks really bad for them most of the time unless Oregon can carry a game

Week 11 

SEC- UGA/Tenn 5.78M

B12- Baylor/OU 3.72M

ACC (ish)- ND/UVA 3.28M

AAC- Cincy/USF 1.16M

Week in and week out it's really a P2 world with the remaining 3 (ACC,B12,P12) getting half the viewers of the SEC and the B10.

I don’t believe the nfl is a big factor?   Rams are doing ok but we will turn on them when they lose. And you’ve seen the chargers games.   Usually the opposing team brings more fans and that’s with us being about 1.5 hours from San Diego.  Even they don’t bother driving up.  We just don’t seem to care about sports unless it’s the dodgers or lakers.  Not very intense about sports

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

That’s 8m times the number of years remaining on his contract

Oh… I misread the article out yesterday. That’s just for him to buy out. $70M is guaranteed in a firing. That being said, I’m April next year a school can hire him for 8M buyout and it goes to 6M in 2023. Still kind of a “we like you but wouldn’t be made if you left… voluntarily.”

41 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I don’t believe the nfl is a big factor?   Rams are doing ok but we will turn on them when they lose. And you’ve seen the chargers games.   Usually the opposing team brings more fans and that’s with us being about 1.5 hours from San Diego.  Even they don’t bother driving up.  We just don’t seem to care about sports unless it’s the dodgers or lakers.  Not very intense about sports

Yeah this is it right here. Nobody front runs like SoCal. Put a winner out there and we'll pack the stadium like we've been lifelong fans, otherwise wgaf

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

From the ESPN story:

Franklin's buyout will start at $12 million prior to April 1, 2022. It will reduce to $8 million through Dec. 31, 2022, $6 million in 2023, $2 million in 2024 and 2025 and $1 million from calendar year 2026 to 2030.

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story today:

I won’t bore you with all the numbers. Just know that if Franklin were to leave in, say, 2024, he would owe the university a mere $2 million, whereas if Penn State were to fire him that year, it would owe him $56 million.

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Franklin took the job at Penn State in 2014 and this is his 4th contract with a 67% winning percentage.

In the last 5 years Bama, Clemson, OU, and OSU are the only teams that have finished top 10 every year.

UGA is the only one to finish top 10 four times. 

PSU is the only team to do it 3 times. 

And that’s with mediocre QBs. What if’s are bullshit, but had he been able to keep Justin Fields from decommitting he very likely has a playoff appearance in there. 

Franklin has some really questionable in-game decision making. He’s really struggled at finding and OC and effective OL coach. 

Trying to paint him as just some average head coach seems dumb. 

7 minutes ago, heso said:

In the last 5 years Bama, Clemson, OU, and OSU are the only teams that have finished top 10 every year.

UGA is the only one to finish top 10 four times. 

PSU is the only team to do it 3 times. 

And that’s with mediocre QBs. What if’s are bullshit, but had he been able to keep Justin Fields from decommitting he very likely has a playoff appearance in there. 

Franklin has some really questionable in-game decision making. He’s really struggled at finding and OC and effective OL coach. 

Trying to paint him as just some average head coach seems dumb. 

He's great, against shit teams. Against the top teams he is not good.

I'll give you that he is an above average asshole.

Herman is a decent coach that could have won a bunch of games at Texas if he wasn’t such an asshole that he burned all donor support and drove recruits away.  

I was a decent high hurdler who could have won a bunch of races in high school if I wasn’t slow and short and inflexible. So, yeah…
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Week 11 

SEC- UGA/Tenn 5.78M

B12- Baylor/OU 3.72M

ACC (ish)- ND/UVA 3.28M

AAC- Cincy/USF 1.16M

And yet, the Sec game was still not as compelling as Bu/Ou 

Mel Tucker's new deal is official, and here are the details

Following the widespread reports of a contract extension for about a week, Mel Tucker has now officially signed his new deal making him the highest paid coach in the Big Ten and one of the highest paid coaches in college football.

DOUG SAMUELS

For those that were wondering why it seemed to be taking so long for Mel Tucker to sign the reported contract extension at Michigan State, there's no need to wonder any longer.  The Spartans head coach officially inked his new deal tonight, and it's every bit as big as expected. We've now we've got some of the details.

Tucker's new 10-year deal will pay him $9.5 million per year, as previously reported, and will run through January 15, 2032.

That new salary will not only catapult him to the very top among Big Ten coaches, it is good enough to rank him just behind Nick Saban nationally according to the latest USA Today Coaches Salary Database numbers.

The 10-year length also puts him in rare air, as James Franklin and Penn State announced a highly anticipated decade-long extension last night, and it's the same amount of years Texas A&M lured Jimbo Fisher with to leave Florida State, and Clemson recently gave a 10-year term to Dabo Swinney. 

Franklin's deal will pay him $8.5 million, and Ryan Day was the other Big Ten coach that entered the season among the top 10 highest paid coaches in the Big Ten at $6.614 million, and with the market re-setting, something tells me Day's contract may the next one on the docket.

The monster salary figure for Tucker will include a base salary of $5.9 million base, plus $3.2 million in supplemental compensation for media and personal appearances, plus an annual bonus of $400k. 

Here's a quick exceprt from Michigan State's release:

"The decision to extend 's contract is not based on one year of results, but rather it's an investment in a promising future for Spartan football," said MSU Vice President and Director of Athletics . "Since his hire in February 2020, the program has experienced high levels of success in three key areas: student-athlete development - on and off the field, recruiting momentum and donor and alumni base engagement and support. Mel has brought an energy to this program which has benefited not only our athletic department, but also the university and the surrounding community."

Tucker's Spartans will face James Franklin and Penn State on Saturday.

16 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I think you're mostly right, but you also drastically overrate the Pac12 in general. A boring oSu/TT game outdrew UCLA/USC last week. They really need one of UCLA or USC to be good or they get ass ratings outside of Oregon games.

To ramp up ratings, P12 needs to have some scissoring of UCLA/USC/Oregon cheerleaders in place of the games. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Baylor win and OU loss would mean it's Baylor/Oklahoma State in the Big 12 championship. 

Remind me of the last time OkieState didn’t crumble like soft baby shit against OU. They do it so much, we thought it was cool,a new decided to copy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Aranda in Waco, has hit his highest place for success imo... Would probably be a disaster at Lsu or Usc

Velveteen Rabbit --  What The Fuck ?? (Starts in 18th minute)

Breaking Down ‘The Game’ and Dave Aranda Interview

Apparently he must resinate with some people, but that dude gives me the heebie jeebies.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110544bd1b730592fede

Seems perfect for Baylor.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Mel Tucker's new deal is official, and here are the details

Following the widespread reports of a contract extension for about a week, Mel Tucker has now officially signed his new deal making him the highest paid coach in the Big Ten and one of the highest paid coaches in college football.

DOUG SAMUELS

For those that were wondering why it seemed to be taking so long for Mel Tucker to sign the reported contract extension at Michigan State, there's no need to wonder any longer.  The Spartans head coach officially inked his new deal tonight, and it's every bit as big as expected. We've now we've got some of the details.

Tucker's new 10-year deal will pay him $9.5 million per year, as previously reported, and will run through January 15, 2032.

That new salary will not only catapult him to the very top among Big Ten coaches, it is good enough to rank him just behind Nick Saban nationally according to the latest USA Today Coaches Salary Database numbers.

The 10-year length also puts him in rare air, as James Franklin and Penn State announced a highly anticipated decade-long extension last night, and it's the same amount of years Texas A&M lured Jimbo Fisher with to leave Florida State, and Clemson recently gave a 10-year term to Dabo Swinney. 

Franklin's deal will pay him $8.5 million, and Ryan Day was the other Big Ten coach that entered the season among the top 10 highest paid coaches in the Big Ten at $6.614 million, and with the market re-setting, something tells me Day's contract may the next one on the docket.

The monster salary figure for Tucker will include a base salary of $5.9 million base, plus $3.2 million in supplemental compensation for media and personal appearances, plus an annual bonus of $400k. 

Here's a quick exceprt from Michigan State's release:

"The decision to extend 's contract is not based on one year of results, but rather it's an investment in a promising future for Spartan football," said MSU Vice President and Director of Athletics . "Since his hire in February 2020, the program has experienced high levels of success in three key areas: student-athlete development - on and off the field, recruiting momentum and donor and alumni base engagement and support. Mel has brought an energy to this program which has benefited not only our athletic department, but also the university and the surrounding community."

Tucker's Spartans will face James Franklin and Penn State on Saturday.

This money is insane.

12 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This money is insane.

Yup. The comment rationalizing the hire by the AD cracks me up. But I guess you can't say..."Look, everybody in the country knows we're overpaying Tucker by probably 2X. And yeah, a 10 year contract for a guy with a mediocre HC record is f'n insane. But hey, get yourself a billionaire booster who don't give a fuck about a lousy $100 million, and you too can join the party! Now if you will excuse me, I have an appointment to fuck his agent's wife."

Edited by Blotto

32 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Apparently he must resinate with some people, but that dude gives me the heebie jeebies.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110544bd1b730592fede

Seems perfect for Baylor.

Yeah, I agree that that dude seems weird...

Just listening to Aranda talk about how he shares the"Velveteen Rabbit" with first year players was really weird...

5vhx9w.gif

Dollars to doughnuts the next LSU coach is already hired/agreed to in principle, and my guess would be it’s Aranda.

Baylor is probably trying to put together something to counter with.

Edited to add, Aranda’s wife really enjoyed her time in Baton Rouge and well….undefeated.

Edited by Enchubben