CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

Someone posted it about 100 pages back, but hard to believe less than 12 months ago a number of FBS programs allegedly weren't going to survive an entire year of lost COVID revenue and now, one season later, the average coaching salary has likely doubled and the money is seemingly endless (at least on paper).

Yeah, it's almost like everyone's lying about how much money they're making, huh?

41 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Has 3 blue bloods ever opened in the same carousel? Add onto that a couple upper end tier 2s in LSU and Florida and we may never see this level of movement ever again

Until CFB playoffs expand and Saban retires chaos reigns and will become increasingly commonplace.  The success that Saban, and to a lesser extent Urban & Dabo, have experienced warped CFB fandom expectations.  USC, ND, tOSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Clemson, LSU and Alabama fans think their schools should be in the CFP most of the time.  Georgia, PSU, Oregon, Wisconsin, Florida, FSU, Miami, Texas A&M, and Auburn fans probably expect to be there every few years.  Nebraska, Tennessee, Minnesota, Washington, VT, Baylor, TT, MSU, Utah, UCLA, OkSt, OleMiss, MSST fans all still think the stars can align for them for a nice 6-8 year run.  So many schools I am overlooking here.  Fans have unrealistic expectations, they can only measure success via CFB playoffs or Conference Championships, so coaches won't get much time to prove it before being cycled through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

Until CFB playoffs expand and Saban retires chaos reigns and will become increasingly commonplace.  The success that Saban, and to a lesser extent Urban & Dabo, have experienced warped CFB fandom expectations.  USC, ND, tOSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Clemson, LSU and Alabama fans think their schools should be in the CFP most of the time.  Georgia, PSU, Oregon, Wisconsin, Florida, FSU, Miami, Texas A&M, and Auburn fans probably expect to be there every few years.  Nebraska, Tennessee, Minnesota, Washington, VT, Baylor, TT, MSU, Utah, UCLA, OkSt, OleMiss, MSST fans all still think the stars can align for them for a nice 6-8 year run.  So many schools I am overlooking here.  Fans have unrealistic expectations, they can only measure success via CFB playoffs or Conference Championships, so coaches won't get much time to prove it before being cycled through. 

Which makes the trend towards 10 year contracts so fucking ridiculous. AD's are proving to be every bit as incapable of restraint/discipline as the owners of pro franchises. But I get it, its not their money and they want to keep their jobs as well. Sign the deal now and worry about the fallout later. If boosters will pay it, even better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

Some of these schools have more realistic expectations than others.

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Which makes the trend towards 10 year contracts so fucking ridiculous. AD's are proving to be every bit as incapable of restraint/discipline as the owners of pro franchises. But I get it, its not their money and they want to keep their jobs as well. Sign the deal now and worry about the fallout later. If boosters will pay it, even better. 

Sounds like marriage. The buyout is the college coach’s version of the prenup. Even if you are terrible, you can keep your money as long as you don’t fuck around too bad.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Oh no! We’re going to make less money than the SEC and not get respect from national media! It’s almost like nothing changed!

You can try to act like your whiny attitude isn't new and different but it is. You've turned into a crybaby and it's hilarious to watch unfold in real time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

DeBoer was a guy I wanted us to go after if Campbell went to USC or UW.

At this point the only thing that concerns me is if Brian Kelly heads to the swamp.  Notre Dame is 2nd to Ohio State and ahead of Michigan as the assumed jobs Campbell will leave for (Rust Belt blue bloods).

It's cute that you just assume the blue bloods still want your coach. That ship may have sailed with his underwhelming results this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

It's cute that you just assume the blue bloods still want your coach. That ship may have sailed with his underwhelming results this season.

He's probably right that Notre Dame might be interested because not considering the conference championship a goal when you're the #7 team in the country headed into the season doesn't affect them. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Eh. It took Dabo 8 years and DW to finally contend. Granted OU isn't Clemson but I'm cool if Venables piles up a bunch of 3-5 loss seasons. 

I don't think Day is a great comp for several reasons. 

To finally contend? For a national championship? Dabo won the ACC in his third full season and has won 10 or more games every year since. Pretty damn impressive for where Clemson was when he took over. The next coach at Oklahoma won't have to bring the Sooners from as far back as Dabo had to with Clemson 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We’re all just saying the quiet parts out loud at this point. I’m sure you all think ISU is some piss ant middle of nowhere school that’s a bad hire away from irrelevance - and guess what? That’s spot on! The difference is I know that and made peace with that decades ago. I’m just tickled pink to go past that.

I, and I guarantee every non UT fan on this board whether they’ll admit or not, think UT is a bloated mess of arrogant and delusional boosters with more $ than they know what to do with and far too much influence, and that Texas football will be saddled with disappointing results until/unless that changes.

The SEC move brought that attitude of a lot of your fans and much of this board. Your jabs at us aren’t wrong. And neither are ours at you. Texas football can’t figure it’s self out, so it’s blaming it’s surroundings, taking a bigger check, and assuming your birthright of greatness will be reinstated as a result. This is what Nebraska did too.

We all grew to like each other when we were on the same boat, and now, as we go our separate ways, we’re back to seeing each other the way we initially did. I suppose the reason I still like this board is that even as the discourse slips towards petty and insult driven, it’s still more intelligent, clever, and ultimately entertaining than any other corner of the internet.

image.gif.1d27ad9331f0530bdb58457db855a5e8.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We’re all just saying the quiet parts out loud at this point. I’m sure you all think ISU is some piss ant middle of nowhere school that’s a bad hire away from irrelevance - and guess what? That’s spot on! The difference is I know that and made peace with that decades ago. I’m just tickled pink to go past that.

I, and I guarantee every non UT fan on this board whether they’ll admit or not, think UT is a bloated mess of arrogant and delusional boosters with more $ than they know what to do with and far too much influence, and that Texas football will be saddled with disappointing results until/unless that changes.

The SEC move brought that attitude of a lot of your fans and much of this board. Your jabs at us aren’t wrong. And neither are ours at you. Texas football can’t figure it’s self out, so it’s blaming it’s surroundings, taking a bigger check, and assuming your birthright of greatness will be reinstated as a result. This is what Nebraska did too.

We all grew to like each other when we were on the same boat, and now, as we go our separate ways, we’re back to seeing each other the way we initially did. I suppose the reason I still like this board is that even as the discourse slips towards petty and insult driven, it’s still more intelligent, clever, and ultimately entertaining than any other corner of the internet.

dude you realize we could have called up any major conf years ago when the SWC dismantled and they would have taken us right?  The SEC took arkansas and the Big 10 took rutgers for gods sake.

Actually I don't consider Iowa State a pissant school at all, and that's well established here. I genuinely like Iowa State and they're not only a good school but they also gave a very dedicated fanbase. They're awesome for college sports and the current shifts are going to be stupid for leaving them behind. 

I have no quiet part disdain for the Cyclones. But ISU fans should be extremely upset with the second rate attitude Campbell displayed with that statement right when they might have had their last chance to stay in the top tier where they belong in every way except state population base. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And it starts with the gotdam cretins on this board.  nothing but scum and villainy. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I guarantee every non UT fan on this board whether they’ll admit or not, think UT is a bloated mess of arrogant and delusional boosters with more $ than they know what to do with and far too much influence, and that Texas football will be saddled with disappointing results until/unless that changes.

Valentines Day Love GIF by Rosanna Pansino

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Then why did you claim the town of Ames would go bankrupt because of this?

Well, at the time there were ideas of the 8 remaining schools getting legitimately relegated to the AAC and losing playoff access.  I suppose that could still happen, but were probably going to lose about $5 million per year off the current TV deal and have an automatic playoff spot for the league champion.

This could legitimately work out pretty well for us, but no one likes to be told that they aren't good enough.  No one likes to get dumped.  We got dumped, and like pretty much anyone else in human history, we're going to chuckle at seeing the folks who dumped us suffer.