CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Yeah all this wailing and flailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments from some of our fanbase on how we and only we managed to miss out on a "sure thing" coach must be the same people who never listen to the disclaimer at the end of every ad touting an investment vehicle: past performance is no guarantee of future results. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Rhule is a good coach but also way overrated. 

47-43 as a college coach (no matter the circumstances or school) is not a top tier coach. 

I hope to god this isn’t the savior we are setting up to hire if Sark fails but that’s par for the course with us. 

Rhule's good at getting the most out of players. His recruiting at Baylor was suspect, but he had also started writing his number on NFL bathroom walls the day he signed his first Baylor contract, so he never looked at Baylor as a long term home. If you want a recruiter, not your guy. If you want someone to change a culture, he can do it. 

The turn around at Baylor was pretty impressive, considering he jettisoned about a third of the players, and the 2016 recruiting class completely disappeared. BUT, he never beat a ranked team while at Baylor, and in the ten win 2019 season, over half those wins were one score games. 

For Baylor, he was a home run hire, cause he got rid of a lot of guys who could play, but couldn't keep from breaking the law. They went 1-11 the first year, and got their asses beat cause they started something like 14 freshmen, including on the line, at various times that year. There were a lot of injuries, cause linemen usually need some time to develop. He never made a big deal about kicking someone out, but he wouldn't blink, no matter how good they were on the field. The joke around Baylor was someone was encouraged to be successful somewhere else.

Been meaning to write this, but it's a consideration with Sark. He may have to clear the building before the culture changes. Rhule had to at Baylor, and that first year was brutal. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Been shuffling thru this thread throughout the day: did I miss Diaz getting fired or something? Sure are several folks speculating Mario or Lane train to Miami but there’s no opening. 
Nothing official but lots of smoke. Combined with a new AD coming in that played with Mario back in the day and the fire is slowly building.

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:
22 minutes ago, Pancho said:
Been shuffling thru this thread throughout the day: did I miss Diaz getting fired or something? Sure are several folks speculating Mario or Lane train to Miami but there’s no opening. 

Nothing official but lots of smoke. Combined with a new AD coming in that played with Mario back in the day and the fire is slowly building.

If they actually land Gino Torrtta for that role I will be very interested to see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, Constant said:

TFB is saying Venables would accept if offered. This thing will be done soon if they aren’t kicking the tires on a bigger fish. 

Either OU is trying to land a bigger fish or they are trying to lock down the OC before signing Venables.   I don't think OU can announce Venables without an OC they think moves the needle.  Clearly they targeted Lebby based on chatter yesterday.   Maybe Graham Harrel?   What other "name" can they pair with Venables to not lose 1/2 their offensive roster?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Either OU is trying to land a bigger fish or they are trying to lock down the OC before signing Venables.   I don't think OU can announce Venables without an OC they think moves the needle.  Clearly they targeted Lebby based on chatter yesterday.   Maybe Graham Harrel?   What other "name" can they pair with Venables to not lose 1/2 their offensive roster?

Good question. It would definitely have to be an exciting name that can recruit. No one jumps at me.

42 minutes ago, Constant said:

Good question. It would definitely have to be an exciting name that can recruit. No one jumps at me.

OU is in a predicament as offense is their entire identity and I'm not sure what big name "offensive" guy is available other than Lane Kiffin (who is a clown and I can't fathom Joe C. would even consider) and I guess Heupel although understand bad blood after he was fired.  I would gladly celebrate either of those hires. If they don't get an OC hire that sells, the roster will be gutted and the new HC is starting from scratch (I mean could Fickel or Campbell keep that roster intact bringing one of their guys? I don't see it).  My initial reaction Sunday is they try to convince Bob to come back on a 3-4 year deal and pair him with a big name OC to groom as "Head Coach in Waiting" with a plan to hand it over like they did with Lincoln.  That's some outside the box shit Joe C would come up with.  And if it doesn't work after a couple of years can scrap it and start over with whatever the slate is then.   I just wonder if Bob has any desire to jump back in or risk his legacy.

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

OU is in a predicament as offense is their entire identity and I'm not sure what big name "offensive" guy is available other than Lane Kiffin (who is a clown and I can't fathom Joe C. would even consider) and I guess Heupel although understand bad blood after he was fired.  I would gladly celebrate either of those hires. If they don't get an OC hire that sells, the roster will be gutted and the new HC is starting from scratch (I mean could Fickel or Campbell keep that roster intact bringing one of their guys? I don't see it).  My initial reaction Sunday is they try to convince Bob to come back on a 3-4 year deal and pair him with a big name OC to groom as "Head Coach in Waiting" with a plan to hand it over like they did with Lincoln.  That's some outside the box shit Joe C would come up with.  And if it doesn't work after a couple of years can scrap it and start over with whatever the slate is then.   I just wonder if Bob has any desire to jump back in or risk his legacy.

Venables and Heupel and make Stoops introduce them both and talk about why he fired them.  They’d probably do it just for that.  

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It’s gonna be Brent Venables, in my opinion. They may be trying to solidify a couple more positions to announce at once. 

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Jeff Lebby as OC for Venables is the offensive piece of the puzzle I keep seeing. 

I think it would have been announced today if it was that easy.  Lebby might be offered head job at Ole Miss if Lane takes Miami.   Miami doesn't have an AD so nobody knows WTF they are doing with Manny (and can they possibly afford to keep him another year?).  Maybe it's announced tomorrow - who knows.  My dream scenario is OU hiring Venables/Lebby or another OC.  More carousel chaos and that OC getting a head job on eve of signing day.  And Venables left holding his dick without an OC.   And all skill talent on roster/recruiting class hits the portal.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1