CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think it would have been announced today if it was that easy.  Lebby might be offered head job at Ole Miss if Lane takes Miami.   Miami doesn't have an AD so nobody knows WTF they are doing with Manny (and can they possibly afford to keep him another year?).  Maybe it's announced tomorrow - who knows.  My dream scenario is OU hiring Venables/Lebby or another OC.  More carousel chaos and that OC getting a head job on eve of signing day.  And Venables left holding his dick without an OC.   And all skill talent on roster/recruiting class hits the portal.

Works for me!

If the hire is Venables does he try to get Jeff Scott back to a coordinator role?  He hasn’t been able to put out the dumpster fire that Charlie left at USF. 

One guy who has actually been kind of a thorn in Venables side is…Tim Beck.  Would be major lulz but don’t see it happening.  

If they pass on Venables do they look at Jay Norvell?   He’s done a nice job at Nevada.   When he was here I thought he was a good coach.  

Then there are Sonny Dykes poach rumors. That has been quiet for a minute. 

14 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

So it looks like VT is hiring the PSU DC. 

What is Elkos issue? Best case he’s looking at Tempme unless he thinks he can get Cinci if Fickle moves to ND? I am not getting why he hasnt grabbed a solid mid level job. 

He does realize that like 1/2 his defense is graduating/going to the NFL right?

14 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Does the Temple HC pay better than the A&M DC?

If not it's close.  A&M outbid ND for Elko after 2017.  Now LSU just did it too.  I am not liking the trend. 

7 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

If the hire is Venables does he try to get Jeff Scott back to a coordinator role?  He hasn’t been able to put out the dumpster fire that Charlie left at USF. 

One guy who has actually been kind of a thorn in Venables side is…Tim Beck.  Would be major lulz but don’t see it happening.  

If they pass on Venables do they look at Jay Norvell?   He’s done a nice job at Nevada.   When he was here I thought he was a good coach.  

Then there are Sonny Dykes poach rumors. That has been quiet for a minute. 

I think the Dykes stuff is over. 

11 minutes ago, Constant said:

It’s down to Lanning and Venables from what I gather. I prefer Venables there because of his history of building championship level defenses. There has to be some Kirby coattail riding going on with Lanning. 

Obviously I'd like Venables to stay at Clemson, but I recognize the opportunity this would bring. What I don't get is why Oklahoma's search is down to two coordinators. Venables should be fine, but we don't really know. And the big name before these two was Shane fucking Beamer, who managed to get skunked at home 30-0 against the worst Clemson team in years. Any idea why Oklahoma isn't  targeting bigger names? 

4 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Obviously I'd like Venables to stay at Clemson, but I recognize the opportunity this would bring. What I don't get is why Oklahoma's search is down to two coordinators. Venables should be fine, but we don't really know. And the big name before these two was Shane fucking Beamer, who managed to get skunked at home 30-0 against the worst Clemson team in years. Any idea why Oklahoma isn't  targeting bigger names? 

They don't want to pay some asshole $9.5 million per year guaranteed for a decade. If they did, Riley would still be coaching there. Also, hubris. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

8 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

That's how they've always done it.  Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops, Riley...all assistants with no HC experience.

I think the only guy they've hired since 1950 with HC experience was Schnellenberger.

11 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Well, they may be and it’s just off the radar at the moment. I’m sure they are considering some big fish that I am not aware of. The timing of the situation is probably why I’d zero in on Venables. We essentially don’t have a football coaching staff at this point and signing day is around the corner. 

So are there going to be any rule changes after all this shit? It's dumb as fuck that coaches have to be secretive and schools are incentivized to fire people midseason to get a jump on coaching searches. Coordinators for the most successful teams need to focus on their games but if they want a head coaching position can't just ignore the carousel. It's such perverse incentives. I'm not sure its possible for a move like Riley or Kelly to be done "the right way." The market is such that it has to be secretive and fast and the media will get a hold of it before the guy can fly home and tell his team. I'm also curious when the finances hit a wall and it begins to crash. 

42 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So are there going to be any rule changes after all this shit? It's dumb as fuck that coaches have to be secretive and schools are incentivized to fire people midseason to get a jump on coaching searches. Coordinators for the most successful teams need to focus on their games but if they want a head coaching position can't just ignore the carousel. It's such perverse incentives. I'm not sure its possible for a move like Riley or Kelly to be done "the right way." The market is such that it has to be secretive and fast and the media will get a hold of it before the guy can fly home and tell his team. I'm also curious when the finances hit a wall and it begins to crash. 

We'd have to get rid of the December early signing period, tbh.   

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The NFL does not allow you to interview before the season is over. If there is a break from the NCAA then something like that is possible for CFB. 

Local dipshit Dean Blevins is holding out hope for Matt Rhule and says ou appears to be rushing and that their back up plan "Would make Texas very happy". That can only mean Tom Herman and I refuse to believe that would happen. 

My coworker showed me a post from some supposed insider that Rhule is "very interested" and they think he'd bring Joe Brady with him. I'm doubtful on that as well.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

It is the only thing the NCAA ever did that made sense. They took salary cap all the way to the Supreme Court, and lost.

Their argument was simple…it would inevitably start an arms race. Ultimately dooming the smaller schools. And if they get left out, those anti trust exceptions that college athletics enjoy, could all go away.

12 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Local dipshit Dean Blevins is holding out hope for Matt Rhule and says ou appears to be rushing and that their back up plan "Would make Texas very happy". That can only mean Tom Herman and I refuse to believe that would happen. 

My coworker showed me a post from some supposed insider that Rhule is "very interested" and they think he'd bring Joe Brady with him. I'm doubtful on that as well.

My guess is it’s Brady being looked at, not Rhule.

As I expected, Chip Kelly likely to stay and be extended, with a much more palatable buyout.  Need to spoiler as it's $9.95er material.

Spoiler

Barring something unlikely, Chip Kelly will remain at UCLA after this season, according to various sources. 

The process is in the works for UCLA and Kelly, who is closing out the fourth year of his original five-year contract, to come to terms on a new contract. 

The terms aren't completely certain, but sources are indicating the new contract will feature a "rolling provision" and a limited buyout.

It's also believed that some "staff changes" will be expected from Kelly. 

The fifth year of Kelly's existing contract would begin Jan. 15th, 2022.  As of that date, according to the original contract, the $9 million buyout is eliminated.  It's standard industry procedure to extend a contract before a coach enters the contract's last year, so UCLA and Kelly were, then, facing a crossroads: either renegotiate new terms or potentially walk away. 

Kelly inked the original contract in November of 2017, which called for him to make $23.5 million over five years. This season, he's guaranteed $5.6 million, with various incentive bonuses, which made him one of the top-20 paid head coaches in college football. 

It's thought that the new "rolling" element of the agreement will include, sources believe, a two-year term, as opposed to UCLA being committed to a large multi-year deal. The new agreement and buyout should be modest enough that it's palatable for UCLA -- or Kelly -- to opt out of the contract within its term. 

Kelly, 58, is 18-25 in his four years at UCLA, which is the worst initial four-year period in UCLA history for a football coach.  Expectations were high for the 2021 season, and it's still arguable whether this year's 8-4 regular-season record could be deemed successful since UCLA only beat teams with non-winning records and ultimately didn't seriously compete for the Pac-12 South title.  On the flip side, others consider Kelly to have now set the program on a successful track. 

It's thought that UCLA trouncing crosstown rival USC, 62-33, facilitated UCLA wanting to come to an agreement with Kelly.  It's also believed that the extreme competitiveness of the coaching market this year, and the price tags on new coaching hires, might have brought UCLA more willingly to the negotiating table.  

While sources indicated that the UCLA administration has insisted on "staff changes," it didn't specify whether that would mean Kelly would let go beleaguered defensive coordinator Jerry Azzinaro.  We had heard previously from sources that a move to fire Azzinaro could be couched as Azzinaro retiring.  We have also heard from non-UCLA industry sources that UCLA is considering potential replacements at defensive coordinator, but we have yet to have that confirmed by a UCLA source. 

It was previously uncertain if Kelly would agree to terms of a new contract that made it fairly easy financially for UCLA to opt out in the future, and to agree to staff changes. But, according to sources, Kelly and UCLA have reached an agreement in principle. 

Sources held out a slight chance that Kelly remaining at UCLA with a new contract might not happen.  But as of today, this is where it stands, and it looks likely.  

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N203DF/history/20211201/1630Z/KLBL/KPWA

Flight from Liberal, KS to Okie City.  Venables was in rural Kansas recruiting according to the Twitters.

BV also told recruits he wasn't going anywhere. Besides that, WTF is Clemson doing recruiting in rural Kansas? Aren't they above that shit?

6 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Damn, that's not cool. All the talk I've heard is he wouldn't leave Ohio/the Midwest.

Fuck ou

You know, this was a debate on a radio show out here a few months ago.  Is Oklahoma the midwest, or the south?  I've always kinda thought midwest, but to be honest, haven't given the state of Oklahoma whole lot of thought in my lifetime.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You know, this was a debate on a radio show out here a few months ago.  Is Oklahoma the midwest, or the south?  I've always kinda thought midwest, but to be honest, haven't given the state of Oklahoma whole lot of thought in my lifetime.

I doubt either region wants to claim that shithole. Let’s just call it hell and leave it at that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It's the south or southwest. Tulsa wants desperately to be considered midwest, from what my Tulsa bros tell me. 

But my family is from southern Indiana and while that's the midwest, they're more southern than anything, I can tell you. So who knows?