CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I looked at this quickly so numbers might be kind of off. 

OU composite 100 defensive recruits under Venables (last 5 seasons)-

"11 (1)

'10 (2)

'09 (5)

'08 (1)

'07 (1)

Clemson's composite 100 defensive recruits under Venables (last 5 seasons)-

'22 (4)

'21 (3)

'20 (6)

'19 (1)

'18 (3) 

Outside of the '09 cycle, Venables wasn't exactly raking in a bunch of high profile recruits at OU. 

And his defenses ranked 2, 13, and 9 in those years. Which shows he developed the talent he had very well and in the absence of development he had them playing very sound football. That still signals that he has a chance to be a good HC, especially given those are the qualities the LR and BS has when they were hired. 

OU is probably going to have a pretty salty defense. It’s the offense that will determine if they win 10-13 games a year or 7-9 games a year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also irrelevant whether the offense is Kiffin's or Lebby's.  It's not like football is some secret sauce.  He'll run what he wants to run.  Either way, Ole Miss has run up and down the field on everyone the past years.

This is just a bad argument. When LSU won the national title it was Ensminger calling plays but everyone with a brain knew it was Joe Brady's scheme/innovative offense that was the real story behind their success. 

Surprise surprise, when Brady left there was a massive drop off with the offense even with Ensminger still there. 

Play calling is drastically overvalued in football. The scheme/install/innovative plays/etc are 80% of the story. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jhawk said:

And his defenses ranked 2, 13, and 9 in those years. Which shows he developed the talent he had very well and in the absence of development he had them playing very sound football. That still signals that he has a chance to be a good HC, especially given those are the qualities the LR and BS has when they were hired. 

OU is probably going to have a pretty salty defense. It’s the offense that will determine if they win 10-13 games a year or 7-9 games a year. 

I don't think there's a doubt the Venables can coach defense the point is that there will be a drop off from Clemson. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think there's a doubt the Venables can coach defense the point is that there will be a drop off from Clemson. 

Drop off from #1 to #2 or #5 isn’t that far to fall and gives them the chance to win it all. 

Edited by Jhawk

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I know he played and coached for the U, but this seems like a questionable move. 

To be successful at Miami, they know you gotta lock up that south Florida recruiting area. They tried Manny for that very reason and it didn't work. Mario seems like a step up for the same formula. Seems like a perfect fit to me. Pretty sure he's also Cuban for whatever that's worth.

Just now, Landomatic said:

To be successful at Miami, they know you gotta lock up that south Florida recruiting area. They tried Manny for that very reason and it didn't work. Mario seems like a step up for the same formula. Seems like a perfect fit to me. Pretty sure he's also Cuban for whatever that's worth.

Same. Oregon felt like a weird fit. He’s culturally as SoFla as it gets, with legit P5 head coaching experience now. 

41 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You have to review and negotiate these things and have no doubt Venables’ camp had that leverage. The bleeding would likely have happened regardless, OU was definitely a “commit to Lincoln, not OU” deal.

Agree, especially on the offensive side.

35 minutes ago, Nope said:

The Bama offense was less effective immediately before and after Sark

Nope: Alabama offense

Year     National F+ rank (average of SP+ and FEI)
2018     2
2019     2
2020     1
2021     3

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

QB at Ole Miss ran the ball a lot -- if Lebby is new OC at blOU then Caleb Williams probably stays

I hope you're right, but about 125 schools will welcome Williams coming to them.

17 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

OU's defensive level talent dropped off considerably after Venables left.  He's a really good recruiter and at this point, knows the South pretty well, which will help with the SEC move.  Lebby and the rest of the staff know Texas well.

Also irrelevant whether the offense is Kiffin's or Lebby's.  It's not like football is some secret sauce.  He'll run what he wants to run.  Either way, Ole Miss has run up and down the field on everyone the past years.

Also agree on Williams staying.  They'll also keep the good WR's and they'll get some RB's.  Schedule is trash next year.  They'll be fine.

Please see above, but OU's defensive recruiting tailed off after 2008 season. DL coach Jackie Shipp apparently never left his office, and the DB coach, whose name I can't remember never got another coaching job. Venables still recruited LBs well and got a couple of others, but in general, he was doing more with less at the end of his OU run.

Agree with your other points. He is a really good recruiter, but it remains to be seen if part of his good recruiting at Clemson was bag-related. Lebby should be a plus as a recruiter, and a coach. But this'll be his biggest gig so far also. I'm a little surprised OU would take him back, tbh.

Also, Venables' time at OU was a very transitionary period in college football.  While the Big 12 offenses were almost all wide open spread, the rest of the country was still pretty basic.  OU and others had to be able to defend both.  Now, everyone is spread all the time and he definitely learned how to defend that at Clemson.  True, he had better players but it's a different game now.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

The landscape in Florida recruiting has changed dramatically over the past 20 years.  It used to be just three schools competing for talent but schools like UCF are now taking some of that talent.   I think he can do well there but it will be harder than in the past. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Miami-Dade and the surrounding counties is probably the most fertile area of skill players in the nation. They need to build an on-campus stadium. Need an infusion of capital for sure.

Maybe they can get someone like Tony Montana to run the bag game there. Luke is too broke, lol.

To 5-star recruit: Here’s $300K, take it or else.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

The landscape in Florida recruiting has changed dramatically over the past 20 years.  It used to be just three schools competing for talent but schools like UCF are now taking some of that talent.   I think he can do well there but it will be harder than in the past. 

This.  Also, Miami doesn't play anywhere close to campus, although I'm not sure how much that matters.  What matters more is does the Miami athletic department really want to be good at football?  They haven't in the past.  If they do, they'll dominate everything.

Miami boosters seem to be all in on the bag game with the right coach. So in that way Cristobal is a good fit. 

But he's a really bad coach  outside of recruiting. He's Brett Bielema bad in terms of in-game coaching decisions. Miami couldn't do any better so might as well roll with this strategy I guess. 

If he's getting Riley or Kelly money that's a big lol though. 

There is nod doubt that Venables can coach D, and I suuspect that Lebby will be solid on his own.  With attrition and decommits, this will be somewhat of a step back, at least short tem.

More importantly, no one knows how BV will perform in the driver's seat.  We will all have to fuck around and find out.

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

There is nod doubt that Venables can coach D, and I suuspect that Lebby will be solid on his own.  With attrition and decommits, this will be somewhat of a step back, at least short tem.

More importantly, no one knows how BV will perform in the driver's seat.  We will all have to fuck around and find out.

And there will be a whole new slate of co-eds and boosters' wives to pursue.

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

I really do think his age and long time inside two well run programs will pay off. I can see him being a really good but not great HC at OU if they let him stick around. 

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Plus we were good offensively before our QB’s thumb fell off and his backup couldn’t stop shitting the bed. And then our AA RB went out with an injury. 

We were doing pretty will against Grinch & co until Whittington, Casey and Jones (I know that he is defense, hense the & co) were injured. 

59 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Again, I have no idea the root cause ($$, recruiting, development).  However, I see the players at Clemson as being far superior to what he had at OU.  

58 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Outside of the '09 cycle, Venables wasn't exactly raking in a bunch of high profile recruits at OU. 

So I think we agree. OU was NOT getting amazing recruits during Venables last few years.

Yet OU still had really good defenses during that time.

Edited by quigley

Serious question… with the NIL stuff why do I see so much about people going somewhere because of “bagmen”? Are you guys equating NIL and bagmen or are you talking about bagmen in the traditional sense of paying players under the table?  Why would anyone do that under new guidelines? Under the table can’t be written off as a business expense. It makes no sense anymore. 

Just now, Jhawk said:

Serious question… with the NIL stuff why do I see so much about people going somewhere because of “bagmen”? Are you guys equating NIL and bagmen or are you talking about bagmen in the traditional sense of paying players under the table?  Why would anyone do that under new guidelines? Under the table can’t be written off as a business expense. It makes no sense anymore. 

Bagmen in the old sense are still active. Recruits still want a cash, non-reportable payday. I do think it will taper off but it’s still the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So who are the outside of the box money-whip options for the Ducks?

Go crazy for Kelly? Still try and pay Kiffin? Dump a pallet of cash at Franklin? 

Them getting into the mix so late will make this fun.

I don’t care either way if their hire is successful long term but I’m down for the lulz. If they hit a home run they make Rileys liked hell and stay competitive in the P12. If they implode, then Nike takes it in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wonder why OU waited until now to finalize this if it's Venables. Maybe they were hoping for Fickell but the playoff bid killed it. Doesn't matter but interesting.

Sounds like Cristobal isn't 100% official but that Oregon opening is an interesting one for sure. With all these exploding coaching salaries, it'll be very interesting to see who Phil Knight moneywhips as a replacement.

Funny side note - Knight would be losing Cristobal to one of the few big Adidas schools out there lol

The weirdest part of this coaching search season is that they has been now more upper level jobs that solid candidates and there is potentially 3 or so more true upper tier jobs that could still become open.

Is it just me, or does anyone else getting the feeling Bill OBrian is about to fall into a big time college job?

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Panthers just fired OC Joe Brady so he might find his way back on a college team. Wow. That wasn’t his fault. Sam Darnold and Cam Newton he had to work with. Wonder if Rhule getting fired is happening next. 

Hopefully Lebby already signed the dotted line in Norman.. Football Gods please don't put that evil on us please. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Panthers just fired OC Joe Brady so he might find his way back on a college team. Wow. That wasn’t his fault. Sam Darnold and Cam Newton he had to work with. Wonder if Rhule getting fired is happening next. 

Brady has some choices.... Ole Miss, Miami, blOU, Auburn, Bama, Usc

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dewey said:

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Miami is going to regret this.  Unless Cristobal gets Brady as his OC right now