CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

On 9/19/2022 at 10:15 AM, Sbbruin said:

The shine sure came off ol' Coach KD pretty quick.  He's the ultimate "nice guy, but...".  I remember running into him on the elevator at the Hard Rock in Vegas the morning after losing to Wyoming in the Vegas Bowl.  I was wearing my Bruin gear.  I just shook my head in sort of a despairing way, and he shook his back with a "yeah." 

Good God. I can’t really imagine a real life run-in that would inspire less confidence than this.

Less than 24 hours after losing to UTEP and dropping to 2-2 on the season, Boise State coach Andy Avalos announced on Saturday that he's fired offensive coordinator Tim Plough.

Plough will be replaced by Dirk Koetter, who has been a head coach in college at Boise State and Arizona State, and in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Koetter, who was most recently the Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator from 2019-20, was brought in as an offensive analyst in June.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34657389/day-disheartening-loss-utep-boise-state-fires-offensive-coordinator-tim-plough

On 9/18/2022 at 2:28 PM, Beau Vine said:

ASU could be really good with the right coach.

On 9/19/2022 at 11:45 AM, 4th&Five said:

This would be very entertaining.

Mark May washed up on Phoenix local tv.  I watch their sports wrap up Saturday nights.  Not-Holtz remarked on ASU, this program is not a sleeping giant, but we are sleeping. 

On 9/24/2022 at 12:34 PM, thunderlounge said:

Something mentioned on Big Noon was Auburn boosters ready to fire Harsin tomorrow if they lost to Missouri.

Looks like he's safe this week.

This doesn’t make much sense. The difference between losing to them and beating them by a fg in OT at home is negligible.  Either way, they suck and he will lose enough games to be fired.  I am not a fan of firing midseason but single game ultimatums are especially dumb.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Not a coaching change as I don't think Sparty could afford to get rid of him but, it's funny.

And Auburn looked like shit, again, last weekend. My buddies are incredulous that the OL sucks so badly. They were awful against Missouri.

LSU, UGa, Arky, Ole Miss and Bammer are patiently waiting.

And Collins getting shown the door at Tech was inevitable. They have been awful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Not a coaching change as I don't think Sparty could afford to get rid of him but, it's funny.

And Auburn looked like shit, again, last weekend. My buddies are incredulous that the OL sucks so badly. They were awful against Missouri.

And Collins getting shown the door at Tech was inevitable. They have been awful.

if Harsin gets the boot does Boise bump their guy to bring him back?

6 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

if Harsin gets the boot does Boise bump their guy to bring him back?

9 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

And Auburn looked like shit, again, last weekend. My buddies are incredulous that the OL sucks so badly. They were awful against Missouri.  LSU, UGa, Arky, Ole Miss and Bammer are patiently waiting.

And Collins getting shown the door at GaTech was inevitable. They have been awful.

Yeah... earlier in this thread it's noted that GaTech and AwwwwBrrrrrn head coaches were toast this year.

Sparty being bad is awesome...  GO BLUE !!!

I'm surprised Mark Stoops isn't mentioned in more of these coaching rumors. I think he would be a perfect fit at Nebraska. 

What he's done at Kentucky is one of the better coaching jobs in the country. This was a program that last had a double digit win season back in 1977 and there's a real possibility that Stoops produces a 3rd 10 win season in the last 5 seasons. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm surprised Mark Stoops isn't mentioned in more of these coaching rumors. I think he would be a perfect fit at Nebraska. 

What he's done at Kentucky is one of the better coaching jobs in the country. This was a program that last had a double digit win season back in 1977 and there's a real possibility that Stoops produces a 3rd 10 win season in the last 5 seasons. 

Kentucky has a better recruiting base and the job has a lot less pressure. 

Corn will have to really overpay to get Mark Stoops interested.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Kentucky has a better recruiting base and the job has a lot less pressure. 

Corn will have to really overpay to get Mark Stoops interested.

Probably right about the recruiting base but I think Stoops is definitely looking for a big time gig. He was reportedly in the mix for the LSU job. 

I definitely don't see Stoops staying at Kentucky much longer. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Probably right about the recruiting base but I think Stoops is definitely looking for a big time gig. He was reportedly in the mix for the LSU job. 

I definitely don't see Stoops staying at Kentucky much longer. 

Yeah, that Calipari insult didn't sit well with Mark.   Wonder if Mark would consider GaTech job ???

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Deion in the ATL metro area would imo kill in recruiting!! Look what he was able to do at JSU.  But I don’t see him leaving until his two sons are gone. I could be wrong though and if I am I’m sure it will be more than just GTech knocking at his door! 

43 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Deion in the ATL metro area would imo kill in recruiting!! Look what he was able to do at JSU.  But I don’t see him leaving until his two sons are gone. I could be wrong though and if I am I’m sure it will be more than just GTech knocking at his door! 

they can transfer 

16 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I thought Tucker would be a good HC when he left UGA, until he went all willie taggart and that’s when I knew he was just trying to get paid before anyone figured him out. 

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

I don't know, I know he's got money, but the pay difference (he currently makes 300k) and striking while the iron is hot may mean now.

Is your opinion of Bill O’Brien based entirely on his performance in Houston?
He's a Hoodie disciple and we know how great those guys are after leaving the nest.

I understand the mess he took over at Penn State. He didn't work any miracles there regardless of the situation. Partially because he didn't stay long enough. He was seen as the next big thing for some reason.

I liked him when he first got to Houston but he plateaued pretty quick. Remember what I said about Hoodie's guys. Add in the fact that he sucked as a GM. Guy was 52--48(2-4 in playoffs). Not exactly a killer.

So it's not just based on Houston. It's based on the fact he is a spare ass overrated coach wherever he is at.

I stiil hold out hope that he will be the cancer that kills Bama. But because Saban is so great, jackass BoB will be a hot commodity.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

He's a Hoodie disciple and we know how great those guys are after leaving the nest.

I understand the mess he took over at Penn State. He didn't work any miracles there regardless of the situation. Partially because he didn't stay long enough. He was seen as the next big thing for some reason.

I liked him when he first got to Houston but he plateaued pretty quick. Remember what I said about Hoodie's guys. Add in the fact that he sucked as a GM. Guy was 52--48(2-4 in playoffs). Not exactly a killer.

So it's not just based on Houston. It's based on the fact he is a spare ass overrated coach wherever he is at.

I stiil hold out hope that he will be the cancer that kills Bama. But because Saban is so great, jackass BoB will be a hot commodity.

That sounds like a long way of answering in the affirmative. I don’t know how many of Belichick’s assistants have gone on to coach in college but if and how they did isn’t an indictment on OB’s ability to coach the college game. Neither can his performance as a head coach in the NFL. Both Saban and Meyer failed in the NFL. And I don’t think it’s fair to dismiss the job he did a PSU because he wasn’t there long enough. He did a very impressive job holding a team together and competing when they had nothing to play for. With a depleted roster from a not great team to begin with he maintained the same level of success as in previous years. And we can’t judge him on his success in bowls because of their postseason ban. But they were bowl eligible both years.

I thought the job he did at PSU was remarkable to say the least and I had a lot of respect for him. I can’t say the same about James Franklin. I don’t care how O’Brien fared as a head coach in the NFL. I think he could still do well as a college coach. Maybe that’s where he belongs.

That said I don’t think he’d necessarily be a good fit at Nebraska. I think they need a defensive minded coach. (Although O’Brien looks more like a defensive coach than an offensive coach, doesn’t he?) Mark Stoops would be a great pick. Go for another Youngstown guy. 

On 9/27/2022 at 4:54 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

Honestly I think at this point you’re better staying at Kentucky till an actual blue blood with promise opens up. I think LSU should have made a real serious run at him.  Someplace like LSU or Florida will be an option for him soon enough. 

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Honestly I think at this point you’re better staying at Kentucky till an actual blue blood with promise opens up. I think LSU should have made a real serious run at him.  Someplace like LSU or Florida will be an option for him soon enough. 

Probably right and I think Stoops will do very well at blue blood. 

17 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Probably right and I think Stoops will do very well at blue blood. 

Look at Mark Stoops first five years at Kentucky:

2013 2-7

2014 5-6

2015 5-6

2016 7-6

2017 7-6 

The UK fan base, admin and money men were more patient than 90% of other schools would have been and it has really paid off. Watch them beat Ole Miss today. If he finds a way to beat Georgia and Tennessee, he’ll probably stay in Lexington with a nice fat contract and peace of mind he would never have at LSU, Florida or Texas.

That one was obviously overdue. I mean I've never liked or hated Colorado but they shouldn't be that bad. It might be a tough place to be great unless you're recruiting California criminals and letting them run wild like Bill McCartney, but it shouldn't be as awful as they are right now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

That one was obviously overdue. I mean I've never liked or hated Colorado but they shouldn't be that bad. It might be a tough place to be great unless you're recruiting California criminals and letting them run wild like Bill McCartney, but it shouldn't be as awful as they are right now.

Don't forget our Texas criminals

35 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Wow. Did not see this coming 

Paul Chryst out as HC of Wisconsin, Jim Leonhard named interim

Defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard to take over as interim head coach for the Wisconsin Badgers.

MATT BELZ     11 MINUTES AGO

After back-to-back embarrassing losses for the Wisconsin Badgers, it appears the football program is moving on from head coach Paul Chryst. The news was first reported by Adam Rittenberg of ESPN on Sunday evening, and Jim Leonhard will take over as the interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

The move comes on the heels of Wisconsin losing by 31-points to Ohio State two weeks ago in Columbus and dropping a second-consecutive Big Ten game on Saturday to Illinois. 

Chryst was in his eighth season as head coach of his alma mater and he finishes his stint in Madison with a 67-26 record, and as a two-time Big Ten Coach of the Year. Chryst also won six of his seven bowl appearances with the Badgers, but the team is currently only 2-3 overall this season and 0-2 in Big Ten play.

According to Pete Thamel, Paul Chryst would be owed $16.4 million if fired without cause, though the exact news of Chryst's departure is not fully known at this point. 

Wisconsin is expected to hold a press conference later this evening to share further details of the separation. 

Taking Chryst's place is defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard. A former All-American at Wisconsin, Leonhard has helped lead the Wisconsin defense the past six seasons. Under his watch, the defense ranks third in scoring defense, first in total yards allowed, and first in opponents' third down percentage across the entire FBS.