CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s crazy. Fuck around and find out I guess because we see where Nebraska is…

Yeah Frost may really struggle to get his next gig if the late to practice, and golf simulator stories are true...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Unless there is some off the field reason, Wisconsin is nuts.  They were a doormat for decades before Alvarez got there.  He’s widely regarded as their gold standard, and Chryst has a better winning percentage than he does.  Their recruiting base is Chicago and a bunch of corn fields. 

Badger friend just texted and says Whisky fans don't want to lose Leonhard... they were done with Chryst same way Horn fans grew tired of Mack.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Badger friend just texted and says Whisky fans don't want to lose Leonhard... they were done with Chryst same way Horn fans grew tired of Mack.  

I can understand that it’s just…be careful of what could happen but they have a successor in the wings already. We waited and lost Muschamp and while I think Muschamp is not a good HC it would have been better than going outside.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:25 AM, Bama Llama said:

Look at Mark Stoops first five years at Kentucky:

2013 2-7

2014 5-6

2015 5-6

2016 7-6

2017 7-6 

The UK fan base, admin and money men were more patient than 90% of other schools would have been and it has really paid off. Watch them beat Ole Miss today. If he finds a way to beat Georgia and Tennessee, he’ll probably stay in Lexington with a nice fat contract and peace of mind he would never have at LSU, Florida or Texas.

Barnhart’s not some knee jerk rube unless forced to be like with Billy Clyde Gillespie, really had no choice there. 

Wisconsin I think is trying to prevent decline more than trying to make a move to get better I think. Leonhard's only coaching experience is under Chryst. Good for them but I'm not sure better for Wisconsin.

7 full seasons at Wisconsin and 4 were 10+ win seasons. (57%)

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

They only allow that much mediocrity at Iowa, not Wisconsin. Remember when he was one of the name's thrown out as an OC candidate back in I believe the Charlie years. 

Edit: actually 2011 under Mack. 

It was actually during the Brown years. And it was really just a cult following. There were some who were into that kind of thing, and that’s because that’s the kind of thing they’re into.

12 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Didn't realize Badgers just extended Chryst in January of this year. His contract was set to expire after this season. 🤔

Pretty sure it was just an additional year tacked on plus a raise.   During COVID-19, Chryst was paid less so they were making up for it with the raise.

2021:  In the closed meeting, the UW Board of Regents approved a deal that takes Chryst’s salary from $4.35 million to $5.25 million.

The reasoning provided by new AD Chris McIntosh started with the fact that this raise was supposed to happen in 2020 following a Wisconsin Rose Bowl appearance. The COVID-19 pandemic caused financial issues and forced Chryst, along with many Wisconsin athletics personnel, to take a pay cut.

Found this quote too:

"When he was fired on Sunday, one day after a 34-10 home loss to Illinois, Chryst had four more full seasons remaining on the contract that received a routine one-year extension after the 2021 season."

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Wow. Did not see this coming 

I’m not all that surprised but I figured they’d give Chryst more time. I think Leonhard is the obvious successor. I figured they’d wait until after the season to make the change but maybe getting waxed by Bielema’s Illini was just too much to bear.

Paul is a really nice guy but recruiting has slipped and he hasn’t been performing that well recently. I hope they give Leonhard a chance because he’s not inheriting the most talented team. They don’t have a stud RB like you expect them to and QB Graham Mertz sucks. 

12 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Which happens first? That guy learns to spell Leonhard’s name correctly or Scott Frost learns to emulate the Alvarez model for running a B1G program without the recruiting advantages of elite programs? Frost has a big head start but it’s still anybody’s race. 
Frost couldn’t learn to be Wisconsin at Nebraska. What makes anyone think he could learn to be Wisconsin at Wisconsin? He’d be a bad fit there. He should head back south. 

20 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Paul is a really nice guy but recruiting has slipped and he hasn’t been performing that well recently. I hope they give Leonhard a chance because he’s not inheriting the most talented team. They don’t have a stud RB like you expect them to and QB Graham Mertz sucks. 

Yeah on Josh Pate's show last night, he remarked how Whisky is really behind the times in several areas so I'm sure recruiting is a big part of that...  

Has Wisconsin’s recruiting really taken a huge nosedive as of late? Or are there other concerns? Because I look at his record at Wisconsin, and giving him a mulligan for the 2020 COVID season, that’s a solid record, so from an outsider’s perspective, it seems like Wisconsin is pulling the trigger awfully quick on his firing.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

I get the feeling that they’re slipping away, but it’s game 5.  Do you not let him finish out because you’re worried he’ll right the ship enough to make you look even worse?  Other than Covid year, he’s never had anything close to a losing season has he?  

Just to me bad optics to treat it like everything has fully derailed this fast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Has Wisconsin’s recruiting really taken a huge nosedive as of late? Or are their other concerns? Because I look at his record at Wisconsin, and giving him a mulligan for the 2020 COVID season, that’s a solid record at Wisconsin, so from an outsider’s perspective, it seems like Wisconsin is pulling the trigger awfully quick on his firing.

I agree that it seemed like a quick trigger. I’ll bet getting blown out by Bielema may have moved them to act. But regarding his record, well, this year certainly isn’t going well, obviously. Personally, I expected more of a fight from them when they came to Columbus. That’s how it usually goes. Never mind that they shit the bed against WSU. The Bucks always get their best game. This year it was over in the first quarter.

They haven’t had a stud RB since Jonathan Taylor that I can recall. If you look at last year, yeah, they went 9-4 and their best win was against Iowa who wound up winning their division. But they got blown out by Notre Dame and Michigan, suffered a close loss to Penn State to open the season, and lost Paul Bunyan’s Axe back to the Gophers in a 10 pt. loss, Fleck’s second upset in their rivalry game during his tenure. They were also upset by ASU in their bowl game and Herm Edwards has already lost his job.

It just seemed like you could see it coming. Again, I figured they’d wait until the end of the year just out of courtesy and to see if he could turn things around. But they’re basically already out of the division race and other schools are making changes so I guess they decided to act. Getting blown out by a good OSU was bad, but Bielema waltzing into Madison and drubbing them had to really sting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I get the feeling that they’re slipping away, but it’s game 5.  Do you not let him finish out because you’re worried he’ll right the ship enough to make you look even worse?  Other than Covid year, he’s never had anything close to a losing season has he?  Just to me bad optics to treat it like everything has fully derailed this fast. 

They are tired of Chryst just like Texas grew tired of Mack.  Their last 3 games have been terrible.  Losing at home to WashSt, a terrible performance against Suckeyes, then that beatdown at home by Bielema's team was the last straw.

bret-bielema-shirtless.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think they were 1-9 against their last top-25 opponents. I think they were slipping pretty good. 

21-14 in conference play since, I think, 2018. 

Quick trigger for sure but, like has been said before, getting smacked by Illinois the way they did certainly did not help him. Plus, all the talk of the DC getting a head job somewhere made them panic a bit. 

The rest of their schedule does not look terrible:

Northwestern, Sparty, Purdue, Terps, Iowa, Corn & Minnesota.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I get the feeling that they’re slipping away, but it’s game 5.  Do you not let him finish out because you’re worried he’ll right the ship enough to make you look even worse?  Other than Covid year, he’s never had anything close to a losing season has he?  

Just to me bad optics to treat it like everything has fully derailed this fast. 

I would think so but maybe we’re missing something behind the scenes

59 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You realize the roster isn’t changing, right?

Sure but he's also never been a head coach and only a coach at all for 5 years. Wins/losses aren't going to be as big as how the team responds to him, how recruits respond to him. If come December recruiting is in the shitter and team is coming out flat they will be looking elsewhere.  If recruiting doesn't dip and team seems to have a spark of some fight then it's definitely his to keep.

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Location, location, location. 

If Chryst racks up that record his first 5 years in College Station instead of Madison, he'd be in year 8 of a 30 year, $0.75B contract right now.

67-26 vs the SEC West would be a lot more impressive than it is against the B1G West.  3 SEC West titles means you knocked off Alabama and LSU a few times.  3 B1G West titles means you had an easy cross-division draw those years and you didn't stub your toe against the only other somewhat competent teams in your division (Iowa, Minnesota, maybe Northwestern or Purdue sometimes).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Which happens first? That guy learns to spell Leonhard’s name correctly or Scott Frost learns to emulate the Alvarez model for running a B1G program without the recruiting advantages of elite programs? Frost has a big head start but it’s still anybody’s race. 
Frost couldn’t learn to be Wisconsin at Nebraska. What makes anyone think he could learn to be Wisconsin at Wisconsin? He’d be a bad fit there. He should head back south. 

Yeah, Whiskey needs to stick with its formula of lots of beef up front, bruising backs with speed, and a game manager at QB.  

https://m.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2022/oct/3/why-wisconsin-might-have-just-become-the/

Here are the facts. Leipold is a Wisconsin native — from a town called Jefferson — and he enjoyed an amazing run of success at Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he won six national titles as a head coach and also played quarterback from 1983-86.

He started his coaching career at his alma mater and then went on to spend three years with the Badgers as a graduate assistant from 1991 to 1993.

19 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

That is sorta surprising…. We might even be willing to let him go in season if GP is willing to help coach LBs the rest of the season..

I doubt that will happen -- a mid-season hire, I mean.  I'm not sure what good he'll be to Colorado when he doesn't know shit about his personnel and coaching staff, and can only have a shitty record jumping into a dumpster fire mid-season.

And aside from that, I'm not sure how attractive Choate is given our defensive performance since he's been at Texas.  I'm guessing this is just name-tossing without any legitimate source.

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

A mid-season coaching staff departure is not really what this team needs. 

That isn't going to happen. 

He might be get the job and they announce it in October/November but very very very unlikely he just up and leaves halfway through the year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

https://m.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2022/oct/3/why-wisconsin-might-have-just-become-the/

Here are the facts. Leipold is a Wisconsin native — from a town called Jefferson — and he enjoyed an amazing run of success at Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he won six national titles as a head coach and also played quarterback from 1983-86.

He started his coaching career at his alma mater and then went on to spend three years with the Badgers as a graduate assistant from 1991 to 1993.

KU better win as much as they can this year because he gone.

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I think Penn State moneywhips him when they finally grow tired of Franklin, if he's not already coaching elsewhere. 

Penn State recently gave Franklin a huge extension, they're married to him for at least a few more years until the new B1G media deal starts paying out and the buyout shrinks.  Also, he seems to have Penn State on the upswing.  They're 5-0, their freshman RB is going to end his college career with a lot of trophies and they have a pretty favorable schedule this year.  They have a bye before going to Michigan in a couple weeks and they get Ohio State at home.  I could see a 2008 Big 12 South scenario playing out in the B1G East this year where their top 3 teams all go 11-1 playing rock/paper/scissors against each other.