CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

No mention if Choate for Colorado job here.  Decent list of possible candidates...

https://sports.yahoo.com/colorado-football-head-coach-candidates-153219013.html

Yeah, not sure where it was, but saw it last week. I think it mentioned Choate as having a decent run as Montana State HC (over .500, anyway - haven't looked yet). I thought it was odd that it would mention Choate but not PK. Whatever, PK and Choate are our LB position coaches, and they seem to be the most underperforming on D. YMMV.

After this season, he will have taken Tulane to more bowls than the previous nine coaches, combined. Thats 40 years.

other than the 1.8 seasons where Terry Bowden was HC, he is easily the best coach Tulane has had in over 80 years. 

And this is after turning around Georgia Southern, Sam Houston, Central Missouri, and Blinn. At every stop, hes taken programs with multiple losing records the seasons prior and turned them into respectable, winning football teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Paul Chryst, Wisconsin agreed to vastly reduced buyout of the fired coach's contract terms

Wisconsin fired its head coach and former quarterback Sunday

JOHN BRICE        OCT 3, 2022

Even in the end, Paul Chryst proved himself perhaps the ultimate Wisconsin Badger.

Fired Sunday after seven-plus seasons as head coach at his alma mater, Chryst accepted a vastly reduced buyout, with Wisconsin athletics director Chris McIntosh acknowledging the two sides negotiated a compromised sum.

Though McIntosh did not initially reveal the remaining amount of money that Chryst would ultimately be paid not to coach his alma mater, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has uncovered the reduced amount.

Per the J-S, Chryst agreed to a reduced buyout amount of $11 million – approximately 55% of the $21 million that Chryst had remaining on his multiyear pact that had been revamped after the 2019 season.

Chryst is due the full sum by early February 2023 and also does not have any mitigation, sources said, toward future employment with his settlement.

Chryst’s buyout amount, coupled with those that will be paid to the fired coaches at Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Colorado and Nebraska, brings the dead-money cost to these schools up to a combined more than $55 million, led by Nebraska’s $15 million owed to the fired Scott Frost.

Those looking for a lucrative career in sports should consider becoming a college football or basketball coach — and then getting fired.

https://www.axios.com/2021/11/08/sports-football-college-million-fired-coach

State of play: FBS schools from Jan. 1, 2010, to Jan. 31, 2021, paid $533.6 million to their football and basketball coaches after firing them, per a new report from ESPN.

By the numbers: Football ($402.3M) accounted for 75% of the dead money, with men's ($116.3M) and women's basketball ($15.1M) making up the balance. Overall, 116 coaches were paid at least $1 million not to coach.

• By conference: The SEC ($151M), Pac-12 ($114.1M) and Big Ten ($106.8M) paid far more than the Big 12 ($58.8M) and ACC ($40M). Non-Power Five schools combined for $62.8M in payouts.
  • By school: Five schools paid out at least $20M: Auburn ($31.2M); Nebraska ($25.8M); Texas ($21.5M); Ole Miss ($20.4M); Kansas ($20M).
  • By coach: Will Muschamp (South Carolina/Florida) led the way ($19.2M), followed by Charlie Strong ($11.8M, Texas/USF), Todd Graham ($11.1M, ASU) and Kevin Sumlin ($10.8M, Texas A&M/Arizona).
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

After this season, he will have taken Tulane to more bowls than the previous nine coaches, combined. Thats 40 years.

If winning 6 games and going to a bowl, which over 50% of FBS schools will achieve this year, and have for quite some time now, is your definition of being turned around, then sure.  But he also has 3 losing seasons in 6 and was 2-10 last year, in year 6 of his tenure.  As for this year, he's got a nice win over K State, but also a really bad loss to Southern Miss.  I see 7 on the schedule, possibly 8, and/or a chance at 8 in the bowl. 

Overall, he's raised their avg wins, but not all that much. 
4.1-7.7 20yrs before Wilie
5.2-7.2 6yrs of Willie
His high mark is 7-6, 2x in 6 years, which his predecessor did 1x in 4. 

Turned around to me means 8+ wins, consistently - a solid winner.  7-6 isn't a winner, in any other way than technically, especially with an FCS team on the schedule.  2-10 in yr 6 damn sure isn't.  He's a damn good coach, but he's barely got them to mediocre, not good.  That's as much on the program as him - tough row to hoe for sure.  He's also in a very small group of coaches - G5 HC w/ 6+ yrs at a school without 8+ wins is ridiculously rare. If Tulane keeps him around, he should be able to be at 8-9W consistently in the new AAC.

He damn sure didn't turn around GA Southern.  31 wins and FCS Final Four in 2010, 2011, 2012. 2013 was 5-4 with a win over Florida in The Swamp. Fritz came in when Monken went to Army in 2014. He was there 2 years and did great, but that was a rock solid program when he got there.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

UNL and Wisconsin going hard in the paint for Aranda. Would not be surprised to see him end up at one of these schools. The B12 will have to figure out a way not to become training ground for B1G and Sec head coaches.

And I don’t see Aranda at Baylor much longer. 

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Paul Chryst, Wisconsin agreed to vastly reduced buyout of the fired coach's contract terms

Even in the end, Paul Chryst proved himself perhaps the ultimate Wisconsin Badger.

Fired Sunday after seven-plus seasons as head coach at his alma mater, Chryst accepted a vastly reduced buyout, with Wisconsin athletics director Chris McIntosh acknowledging the two sides negotiated a compromised sum.

Though McIntosh did not initially reveal the remaining amount of money that Chryst would ultimately be paid not to coach his alma mater, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has uncovered the reduced amount.

Per the J-S, Chryst agreed to a reduced buyout amount of $11 million – approximately 55% of the $21 million that Chryst had remaining on his multiyear pact that had been revamped after the 2019 season.

Chryst is due the full sum by early February 2023 and also does not have any mitigation, sources said, toward future employment with his settlement.

Chryst’s buyout amount, coupled with those that will be paid to the fired coaches at Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Colorado and Nebraska, brings the dead-money cost to these schools up to a combined more than $55 million, led by Nebraska’s $15 million owed to the fired Scott Frost.

If I'm fired by my Alma Mater I'm not settling for anything less than the full buyout. He seemed to be doing a decent job, not good this year, but overall.

18 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Yeah, not sure where it was, but saw it last week. I think it mentioned Choate as having a decent run as Montana State HC (over .500, anyway - haven't looked yet). I thought it was odd that it would mention Choate but not PK. Whatever, PK and Choate are our LB position coaches, and they seem to be the most underperforming on D. YMMV.

Feldman mentioned this on his Audible Podcast so I assume it was something he wrote.

13 hours ago, Satchel said:

Those looking for a lucrative career in sports should consider becoming a college football or basketball coach — and then getting fired.

https://www.axios.com/2021/11/08/sports-football-college-million-fired-coach

State of play: FBS schools from Jan. 1, 2010, to Jan. 31, 2021, paid $533.6 million to their football and basketball coaches after firing them, per a new report from ESPN.

By the numbers: Football ($402.3M) accounted for 75% of the dead money, with men's ($116.3M) and women's basketball ($15.1M) making up the balance. Overall, 116 coaches were paid at least $1 million not to coach.

• By conference: The SEC ($151M), Pac-12 ($114.1M) and Big Ten ($106.8M) paid far more than the Big 12 ($58.8M) and ACC ($40M). Non-Power Five schools combined for $62.8M in payouts.
  • By school: Five schools paid out at least $20M: Auburn ($31.2M); Nebraska ($25.8M); Texas ($21.5M); Ole Miss ($20.4M); Kansas ($20M).
  • By coach: Will Muschamp (South Carolina/Florida) led the way ($19.2M), followed by Charlie Strong ($11.8M, Texas/USF), Todd Graham ($11.1M, ASU) and Kevin Sumlin ($10.8M, Texas A&M/Arizona).

There should be a lot more folks let go when these massive payments are made. The people who sign off on these contracts also need to take some responsibility. They just piss away millions of $$$$

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, bornbama1 said:

If I'm fired by my Alma Mater I'm not settling for anything less than the full buyout. He seemed to be doing a decent job, not good this year, but overall.

If I’m fired and I have a contract that said the school is playing me X, why would I take less? These coaches are idiots.  Why do them a favor?

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Satchel said:

UNL and Wisconsin going hard in the paint for Aranda. Would not be surprised to see him end up at one of these schools. The B12 will have to figure out a way not to become training ground for B1G and Sec head coaches.

It's funny because those schools will probably pay him more but the competitive ceiling at Baylor is higher than both and MUCH higher than it is at Nebraska at this point. 

Either way - they will have to offer him 7-8 per to snag him. Baylor won't match that because they don't need to. They'll just find some other asshole to go 10-2. 

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

There should be a lot more folks let go when these massive payments are made. The people who sign off on these contracts also need to take some responsibility. They just piss away millions of $$$$

As someone mentioned, like politicians. There's a clear-cut and very simple reason:

Other. Peoples'. Money.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

If I’m fired and I have a contract that said the school is playing me X, why would I take less? These coaches are idiots.  Why do them a favor?

Couldn't tell from the blurb, any chance he accepted the reduction in exchange for getting it now with no mitigation instead of over time and with mitigation? If he's planning to continue coaching he could end up with more money that way. Only way I would accept something like that. 

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Couldn't tell from the blurb, any chance he accepted the reduction in exchange for getting it now with no mitigation instead of over time and with mitigation? If he's planning to continue coaching he could end up with more money that way. Only way I would accept something like that. 

Pretty clear in article...

"Chryst is due the full sum by early February 2023 and also does not have any mitigation, sources said, toward future employment with his settlement."

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I also wonder if there isn't some tasty "Assistant to the Athletic Director in charge of Gatorade and half time snacks job as well.  

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Pretty clear in article...

"Chryst is due the full sum by early February 2023 and also does not have any mitigation, sources said, toward future employment with his settlement."

That doesn't say if there was mitigation and scheduled payments before the buyout negotiation. Kind of implies it but it's not clear. 

• Like 1

other than the 1.8 seasons where Terry Bowden was HC, he is easily the best coach Tulane has had in over 80 years. 

And this is after turning around Georgia Southern, Sam Houston, Central Missouri, and Blinn. At every stop, hes taken programs with multiple losing records the seasons prior and turned them into respectable, winning football teams. 
You're just trying to slide in with Lanie. You ain't slick.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That doesn't say if there was mitigation and scheduled payments before the buyout negotiation. Kind of implies it but it's not clear. 

My bad... misread your question.  I think you're on to something with his full release of mitigation. 

Saw one interview that spoke of Chyrst not enjoying all the new CFB changes like NIL and the more active transfer portal.  Wonder if more big job P5 coaches start moving or stay with less stressful jobs like Gus at UCF ???

Harsin probably has do it.  Coach staying at Cincy is another one.  Aranda and Gundy too.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 10/4/2022 at 4:38 PM, Horn80 said:

Seen several articles taking a crap on Jimbo about having same record same as Sumlin and how he runs an outdated offense which should negatively impact recruiting.  Hope Alabama runs score up and it snowballs into more loses until aggy implodes.  

Aggy imploding is the predictable annual script, then supernova when they win a shitty bowl game or lose to a highly ranked opponent…..that’s where the hope come from.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:35 PM, LTtxfan said:

This means they have something on him. It’s not good will. No one leaves 10 million on the table.

4 hours ago, El Squared said:

This means they have something on him. It’s not good will. No one leaves 10 million on the table.

Gary Andersen left $12.6 million on the table when he resigned at Oregon State in 2017...then left $2.7 million on the table when he resigned from his 2nd stint at Utah State in 2021.  Haven't seen anything about either school having dirt on him.

14 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Wofford HC Josh Conklin has stepped down after going 2-16 since the start of last season.  Their interim coach?  None other than former UT/Nebraska/Pitt/Louisville OC Shawn Watson.  Good luck, Wofford!

That dude keeps getting head coaches fired. Maybe he can finally screw himself. 

27 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Wofford HC Josh Conklin has stepped down after going 2-16 since the start of last season.  Their interim coach?  None other than former UT/Nebraska/Pitt/Louisville OC Shawn Watson.  Good luck, Wofford!

That dude is like a cockroach. You just can't get rid of him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Gary Andersen left $12.6 million on the table when he resigned at Oregon State in 2017...then left $2.7 million on the table when he resigned from his 2nd stint at Utah State in 2021.  Haven't seen anything about either school having dirt on him.

That’s the idea right ? One party forfeits cash, the other forgoes airing out dirt. It’s a business deal.