CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Did Desmond say this? If so then Kiffin has signed a 10-year deal with Auburn. 

If it is true, get your popcorn out for Lane's twitter today. 

No doubt

Kiffin should be able to squeeze Auburn for an 8-year contract, at least. If things don't work out, he'll be livin' the buy-out life in FL before resurrecting USF or some ilk.

Freshwater will take the money and potential to win big at AU.

9 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

It was the sports reporter that appears on ESPN GameDay that said it...

Might be getting used by Lane's agent. 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

If this coaching cycle finishes with only 8 HC changes, that would seems like it would be some kind of record. 

FWIW, I have a good friend who is good friends with Neal Brown. He went up with his son and watched WV beat OU and hung out with Brown that weekend. I asked him this weekend if he thought they’d give Brown another year and he said that Brown told him after the OU game that he probably had to win out to keep his job. They immediately went out and lost to KSU after that one. Whoops. 

17 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

And knowing Kiffin he probably told Sexton he wanted to stay at Ole Miss in order to pile on Sokoloff for the rest of the weekend. That would be right out of Kiffin's playbook. 

$9M/year. 

Lane Kiffin will return as Ole Miss' coach next season and is signing a new contract extension with the Rebels, he told ESPN on Saturday.

Kiffin said he had meetings with both the team and his staff before Ole Miss' 24-22 loss to Mississippi State on Thursday to tell them that he was staying and that it would be announced after the game.

Kiffin was a prime candidate at Auburn, and his name had circulated for weeks in connection with the Tigers' job.

"I didn't want it to be about me staying before the game, but about the team," Kiffin told ESPN. "I didn't want it to be a distraction to where everybody was talking about me staying versus the players, which is why I wanted them to know it would be announced after the game."

Ole Miss is expected to make an official announcement sometime this weekend.

Sources told ESPN that Kiffin's new deal will take his average annual salary to the $9 million range. He made $7.25 million this season.

In three seasons at Ole Miss, Kiffin is 23-12. The Rebels won their first seven games this season but lost four of their last five. A year ago, Kiffin led Ole Miss to its first 10-win regular season in school history.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I think Georgia Tech is a better fit if their administration isn't too stringent with academics. But, that's probably why Deion to GT won't happen.

Now let's see if Rhule can make chicken salad from chicken shit on the recruiting trail.

Ha! This is a team I grew up watching get the sh_t kicked out of them by Texas time and time again when Nowledge U was favored every year. Not sure what team he was watching. 🤣

James Brown to Derek Lewis baby!

And please let Auburn hire Hugh Freeze. Toxic meets toxic! They will be screaming for him to be fired within a year.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

And please let Auburn hire Hugh Freeze. Toxic meets toxic! They will be screaming for him to be fired within a year.

Freeze will be perfect there.  No morals coach for a no morals program; he'll have them in the CFP within three years.

If true, Auburn is easily getting the better end of the deal in the Kiffin sweepstakes.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 1

Kiffin gets around 4yr contract rule in Mississippi...

Details Emerge From Lane Kiffin's New Contract With Ole Miss

MATT AUDILET.  2 HOURS AGO

Lane Kiffin has signed a longterm contract extension with the Ole Miss Rebels football program.

The veteran head coach reportedly penned an 8-year deal with an average salary of $9 million. The state of Mississippi doesn't allow public employees to have contracts more than four years, but Kiffin's deal is through Ole Miss' private foundation.

Kiffin was reportedly interested in the Auburn head coaching vacancy, but he denied any consideration for that job. The Rebels head coach said he met with his team before Thursday's game against Mississippi State and informed them he was staying put in Oxford.

“I had a meeting with the team and the staff and told them I was staying and it would be announced after the game. I didn’t want it to be about me staying before the game, but about the team," he said, per ESPN insider Chris Low.

Kiffin and Ole Miss began the 2022 season with a 7-0 start. Since then, the team has dropped four of its last five games — including the last three in a row.

5 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Id rather 40 million to do nothing and not live in Lincoln. But I wouldn’t have gone to Waco either.  

Rhule, 47, was less than three seasons into his seven-year, $62 million deal with the Panthers when he was fired after a 1-4 start to this season. Overall, he was 11-27 with Carolina, and the team went 1-27 when allowing 17 or more points.

He was still owed more than $40 million when he was fired by the Panthers.

Despite being financially stable, Rhule said he had two reasons for getting back into coaching.

LOL

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

he said that Brown told him after the OU game that he probably had to win out to keep his job. They immediately went out and lost to KSU after that one. Whoops. 

I don't see how he keeps his job, except that wvu may not want to buy him out + who is better out there for them to go get?

4 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Stanford job opens up as Shaw steps down.  I could see this being the one P5 job to lure Chris Petersen out of retirement.

Link

I kind of love that dude. Shaw managed to win at Stanford without being a sociopath like Harbaugh and then stepped away on his own terms without a golden parachute funded by the efforts of unpaid athletes.  No alumni base or student population in the PAC has fewer lonely F’s to give about football than Stanford and Shaw managed to quietly turn that into Rose Bowl wins and tons of guys in the NFL.  He has my respect.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Laxtonto said:

wasn’t Leonard pretty much assumed to have that job once they became bowl eligible.

Could easily see  Fickle to Wisc and then Leonard to Cinci? 

Yeah, not sure Leonard was anywhere close to ready for Whisky HC job.  Getting Fickell would be quite the trophy for Whisky if it happens...  

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, not sure Leonard was anywhere close to ready for Whisky HC job.  Getting Fickell would be quite the trophy for Whisky if it happens...  

Right after they got bowl eligible they put a job on their HR website that included the terms that the applications were not protected from FOIA requests and had a very short timeline.

Not sure what happened between then and now, but all signals were Leonard and now Fickle is a possibility. Either Leonard couldn’t come to terms, Wisky realized the probably need someone outside of the family to revitalize the AD or Fickle reached out on his own and Wisky was like wtf, we thought you were out of our league, let’s see what happens.

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I believed Fickle could do better than Wisconsin but maybe he’s learned from the likes of Campbell and makes a move while he can. 

What available job is better that he would really want??

Fickell at Whisky makes a ton of sense -- "Blue Collar" type team that recruits around Chicago, Kansas City, and Midwest extremely well.  I'm sure their NIL will be good too.

Fickell getting out of the Big 12 to go to the BIG10 seems like a no brainer...

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Fickell at Whisky makes a ton of sense -- "Blue Collar" type team that recruits around Chicago, Kansas City, and Midwest extremely well.  I'm sure their NIL will be good too.

Fickell getting out of the Big 12 to go to the BIG10 seems like a no brainer...

Mods on the Cinci board thinks this is legit and likely happening.

Sorta surprised, but more from the fact that they moved on from the home grown fan favorite ( right after the other big Midwest job got filled in Neb) than thinking Wisc could make a real offer.

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

None right now, but why do you assume he has to take a job today instead of waiting for the inevitable carousel next year?  That's why I said I guess he figures he better bolt now instead of risking another year in Cincy and maybe going the way of Luke Campbell.

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

None right now, but why do you assume he has to take a job today instead of waiting for the inevitable carousel next year?  That's why I said I guess he figures he better bolt now instead of risking another year in Cincy and maybe going the way of Luke Campbell.

Fickle had Campbell as proof that you are better to move to a blue blood now then to wait till next year because those jobs might be around next year and all it takes is one meh season and you aren’t at the front of the line.

Probably doesn’t hurt that Fickle knows he is still probably going to have a worse record in the B12 next year than the AAC. His team is good, but the talent and depth isn’t there for 8 conference games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Stanford job opens up as Shaw steps down.  I could see this being the one P5 job to lure Chris Petersen out of retirement.

Link

It’s a really tough place to cash now in the era of the transfer portal.  The school doesn’t accept transfer students.  So some transfer out. None transfer in.  They’ll need to change that or they’re dust.  Not sure they will.

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It’s a really tough place to cash now in the era of the transfer portal.  The school doesn’t accept transfer students.  So some transfer out. None transfer in.  They’ll need to change that or they’re dust.  Not sure they will.

Who cares...  TREE SUCKS !!! 😋

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Jobs fickell likely views as better than whiskey:

tosu

nd

michigan

penn st

none are opening up.  He’s a Midwest guy.  You can win at wisconsin

• Like 1