CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

33 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

None right now, but why do you assume he has to take a job today instead of waiting for the inevitable carousel next year?  That's why I said I guess he figures he better bolt now instead of risking another year in Cincy and maybe going the way of Luke Campbell.

Less pressure at Whisky than a lot of other jobs and plenty of resources... Fickell probably has a great shot to get in the CFP at Whisky.

Just curious -- what jobs do you think Fickell should try to wait around for that are better??

• Notre Dame ???
  • Suckeyes ???
  • Pedo State ???
  • Bama ???
  • blOU ???

(All of the above jobs have a lot more drama than Whisky)

Edited by LTtxfan
nice post by closetohumping above

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Jobs fickell likely views as better than whiskey:

tosu

nd

michigan

penn st

none are opening up.  He’s a Midwest guy.  You can win at wisconsin

I thought reason for Wiscy shit canning Chryst mid season was to keep Leonhard from taking another job at season end.  They wanted to keep him as part of the Barry Alvarez incestuous coaching tree.  And now they go after Fickell?

I think Fickell is a nice addition but Chryst wasn't shit.   He won 10 games in 4 of his 6 non-Covid years and 8 or 9 in the others.

9 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I like the hire here.  Young native arizonan. Should bring exciting offense back to Tempe. Really think they will try to keep top in state talent in Arizona.  Questions I have would be if administration is willing to pay for assistants, they aren't punished for Herms bullshit. And he doesn't hire Drew Mehringer.

The last coaches have been retreads (Erickson and edwards) and small school darlings (Dirk and Graham). This is different. May not work but you're arizona state,  it isn't like they are great at football. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If Fickell was a betting man, he should have waiting out Day at tOSU. I guess that job is still there if he wants it. 

Smart, conservative move. Cincy probably takes a step back initially in the Big 12, and it would take the shine off of Fickell’s name. 

I don’t think day is going anywhere but I’m sure when he does Luke will be a candidate regardless of where he’s at

6 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I like the hire here.  Young native arizonan. Should bring exciting offense back to Tempe. Really think they will try to keep top in state talent in Arizona.  Questions I have would be if administration is willing to pay for assistants, they aren't punished for Herms bullshit. And he doesn't hire Drew Mehringer.

The last coaches have been retreads (Erickson and edwards) and small school darlings (Dirk and Graham). This is different. May not work but you're arizona state,  it isn't like they are great at football. 

The recipe for winning at ASU (and Arizona) is recruiting Southern California hard.   The Phoenix areas has talent but a lot of them want to go to USC or Oregon.  Same reason kids from Austin don't often end up at UT.

22 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Fickell knows whats coming with the Big 12 move - regular ass beatings and his reputation is going to get tarnished.

smart move to go to Wiscy if he does it

Yeah, when was the last time a coach went from an AAC school to a Big 12 school and had any success?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Less pressure at Whisky than a lot of other jobs and plenty of resources

Haven't they lost a corch or two because Alvarez meddled like no one's business and their assistant coach salary budget was / is shit?  Maybe they rectified that when Alvarez stepped down from the AD spot, but I know it was a thing in the past.

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Which job do y'all think is more desirable these days?

Wisconsin or Nebraska?

Wisconsin and it's not close.  Better recruiting territory, a more well-defined identity (both on the field and in general as a B1G school), more realistic fan expectations.  That said I think they both made excellent hires.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Haven't they lost a corch or two because Alvarez meddled like no one's business and their assistant coach salary budget was / is shit?  Maybe they rectified that when Alvarez stepped down from the AD spot, but I know it was a thing in the past.

Not certain... thought I read that a newer group in their alumni are stepping up things and money and one big reason Chryst (sp?) removed midseason??

If Alvarez has been moved to shelf, and money plus NIL improved Whisky is a good job.  

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I believed Fickle could do better than Wisconsin but maybe he’s learned from the likes of Campbell and makes a move while he can. 

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Which job do y'all think is more desirable these days?

Wisconsin or Nebraska?

image.png.c04a490d33dcc218fb51b8b7c308883b.png

Those results reflect wins since 2000 (but the article was from April so it doesnt have 22 results), so you can win at Wisc. Alvarez has moved on, so IF Fickell got the financial assurances for support, its a pretty good fucking gig. I lived in Wisconsin for 3 years, and most of the Badgers alums that I knew cared more about the success of the Packers. On Friday's in the fall, the entire state is wearing Packers gear to work, not Badgers gear. Relatively low pressure gig with no in state recruiting comp. Great fit and there's no reason he cant take the OSU gig in a couple of years if he keeps winning at Wiscy. 

Kind of surprised TH doesn't have a job yet. Even Charlie went straight back to work.

Is he interviewing or being discussed for openings?

I think he’ll be mentioned for Stanford and probably wouldn’t be a terrible hire for them.
Glad Shaw stepped down. That was classy because he knows he has lost the program but they weren't going to fire him. He could have just stayed another couple years and cashed checks.
He has been there 16 years and had a great run for them.

I imagine Shaw was getting pretty frustrated trying to navigate the way things have changed with NIL, the portal, and especially early signing day at Stanford.

Stanford’s first call should be Chris Petersen, IMO. He didn’t want to deal with the stress/expectations of a top tier program, and while Stanford has its own challenges, it’s not the high pressure situation of a program that expects to be in contention for conference championships or more.

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Stanford’s first call should be Chris Petersen, IMO. He didn’t want to deal with the stress/expectations of a top tier program, and while Stanford has its own challenges, it’s not the high pressure situation of a program that expects to be in contention for conference championships or more.

I think Petersen would be a fool to take Stanford unless TREE doesn't go into BIG 10. 

I wouldn't mind seeing TREE stop playing CFB

So am I right that the open jobs now are Auburn (likely Freeze), Stanford, Colorado (supposedly offered to Prime), Cincy, Ga Tech, USF, and TX St? With more firings to come I'm sure.

I could totally see Turtle at Cincinatti. Bronco Mendenhall would be good at Stanford. If I'm GT, I'm going Deion or Todd Monken. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I think he’ll be mentioned for Stanford and probably wouldn’t be a terrible hire for them.

I imagine Shaw was getting pretty frustrated trying to navigate the way things have changed with NIL, the portal, and especially early signing day at Stanford.

Herm at Stanford?  Mensa aside he’s kind of the anti Stanford type

23 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Apparently some fans are revolting against Freeze being their head coach so it might not happen now. 

No school can screw up a coaching hire like Awwwbrrrnnn can screw it up.   Some there hoped for, Lane, Fickell or even Dabo.

"Auburn football HC candidate trending to Wisconsin"

by Mary Kate Hughes2 minutes ago 

While for the most part, it feels like the Auburn football head coaching search has truly centered around current Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin, there were always other names floating around. At this point in time, it seems that the ship has sailed when it comes to Kiffin, and the Tigers have moved on to consider other names.

Hugh Freeze was reportedly the top candidate should the deal with Kiffin fall through, but there is the possibility that public outrage this weekend at the idea of hiring Freeze has hurt his chances of getting the job.

And so, the search continues, but it is now being reported that another head coach that was tabbed as a potential candidate for Auburn football head coach could be taking a job at Wisconsin. ESPN’s Pete Thamel wrote this morning that Luke Fickell could be on the verge of being the Badgers’ next head coach:

Wisconsin has targeted Luke Fickell to be the school’s next head coach, sources told ESPN. No deal is signed, but there’s a strong push by the Badgers to try and land Fickell in the next 48 hours.

After leading Cincinnati to the College Football Playoffs last year, becoming the first Group of 5 team to play in the CFP, Fickell has supposedly always been on the Tigers’ radar as a potential coach but the focus was always on Kiffin.

Now, Fly War Eagle has reported that while Auburn is receiving much pushback about a potential Hugh Freeze hire, current Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson is a name to watch in the search. Meanwhile, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney and Penn State head coach James Franklin still remain in the mix.

With the 2022 regular season officially over, the Tigers are now waiting in limbo to see who their next head coach will be, and if they receive a bowl invitation.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

image.png.c04a490d33dcc218fb51b8b7c308883b.png

Those results reflect wins since 2000 (but the article was from April so it doesnt have 22 results), so you can win at Wisc. Alvarez has moved on, so IF Fickell got the financial assurances for support, its a pretty good fucking gig. I lived in Wisconsin for 3 years, and most of the Badgers alums that I knew cared more about the success of the Packers. On Friday's in the fall, the entire state is wearing Packers gear to work, not Badgers gear. Relatively low pressure gig with no in state recruiting comp. Great fit and there's no reason he cant take the OSU gig in a couple of years if he keeps winning at Wiscy. 

I'm not sure if I would agree that it's a low pressure job when Crist won 10 games most years and still got canned.

• Hook 'Em 2