CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No school can screw up a coaching hire like Awwwbrrrnnn can screw it up.   Some there hoped for, Lane, Fickell or even Dabo.

"Auburn football HC candidate trending to Wisconsin"

by Mary Kate Hughes2 minutes ago 

While for the most part, it feels like the Auburn football head coaching search has truly centered around current Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin, there were always other names floating around. At this point in time, it seems that the ship has sailed when it comes to Kiffin, and the Tigers have moved on to consider other names.

Hugh Freeze was reportedly the top candidate should the deal with Kiffin fall through, but there is the possibility that public outrage this weekend at the idea of hiring Freeze has hurt his chances of getting the job.

And so, the search continues, but it is now being reported that another head coach that was tabbed as a potential candidate for Auburn football head coach could be taking a job at Wisconsin. ESPN’s Pete Thamel wrote this morning that Luke Fickell could be on the verge of being the Badgers’ next head coach:

Wisconsin has targeted Luke Fickell to be the school’s next head coach, sources told ESPN. No deal is signed, but there’s a strong push by the Badgers to try and land Fickell in the next 48 hours.

After leading Cincinnati to the College Football Playoffs last year, becoming the first Group of 5 team to play in the CFP, Fickell has supposedly always been on the Tigers’ radar as a potential coach but the focus was always on Kiffin.

Now, Fly War Eagle has reported that while Auburn is receiving much pushback about a potential Hugh Freeze hire, current Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson is a name to watch in the search. Meanwhile, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney and Penn State head coach James Franklin still remain in the mix.

With the 2022 regular season officially over, the Tigers are now waiting in limbo to see who their next head coach will be, and if they receive a bowl invitation.

Why would DS even consider leaving the fluff ACC to be a ”red-headed step-child” to Alabama?  Now when Nick Saban retires from Alabama, that’s another story. 

• Fuck You 1

RE: Freeze to Auburn.

Yeah, it's Auburn, and they truly don't give a fuck, but it would be funny as hell if the SEC commissioner said no.  SEC bylaws:

19.8.1.2 Hiring Practices. Member institutions shall exercise best efforts to hire individuals committed to rules compliance. In connection with this requirement, member institutions shall thoroughly evaluate an individual’s record of rules compliance prior to offering employment for any coaching position or noncoaching position with sport-specific responsibilities.

While each member institution makes its own hiring decisions, member institutions shall, at a minimum, request specific information from each candidate concerning his/her rules compliance record and communicate with NCAA enforcement and the Conference office regarding the same prior to offering employment to any candidate.

In addition, where a member institution considers hiring an individual who has engaged in unethical conduct as defined under NCAA Bylaws or who has participated in activity that resulted, or may result, in a Level I, Level II or major infraction, the President or Chancellor of that member institution is expected to consult directly with the Commissioner prior to offering employment to the individual.

Each member institution must include in each contract with every athletic director, coach, senior woman administrator, and other employee of its athletic department a specific provision obligating the employee to comply with the Rules and specifying that the employee agrees to be bound by and will comply with the enforcement, penalty, and other disciplinary provisions and procedures of the NCAA and of the Conference, including but not limited to the provisions of Article 4 of the Constitution and of this Bylaw 19.8. [Revised: 6/2/17]

13 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I'm not sure if I would agree that it's a low pressure job when Crist won 10 games most years and still got canned.

Chryst was fired because he was recruiting terribly, and not adapting to the new portal and NIL world of CFB.  

He also was losing control of his team.  Good articles below...

https://www.outkick.com/the-fking-sand-another-embarrassing-paul-chryst-story-surfaces-after-firing/#:~:text=Paul Chryst was fired by the Badgers after,a 67-26 record. (Photo by Ronald Martinez%2FGetty Images)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/wisconsin-paul-chryst-badgers-fire-coach/au6uda2vkfqhwph8l6dbhw8b

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

2 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

Why does Calhoun at air force not get any traction for other jobs? Is he just considered a lifer at the academy? Seems like the sort that could do well at Stanford.

Nobody besides service academies wants to run the option.  It's the complete opposite of the direction the sport is moving.  That works for the academies since they have unique recruiting pools/strategies and their recruits don't have foobaw as their #1 concern.  Anyone else is kneecapping their program by running a system that no QBs or WRs or OL or DL worth a shit wants to play in.  The first 3 aren't learning skills that will translate to the NFL and getting tape that will impress scouts.  The last one doesn't want to get cut block nonstop by 300 pounders at every practice for 3-5 years.

12 minutes ago, demos said:

sec let them hire bruce pearl, so doubt they give much of a shit either.

I think that bylaw was created after they hired Pearl.  He was hired in 2014, and the revision to the bylaw was in 2017.

But your point stands; Auburn is going to do whatever the hell they want (or at least try).

7 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

Nobody besides service academies wants to run the option.  It's the complete opposite of the direction the sport is moving.  That works for the academies since they have unique recruiting pools/strategies and their recruits don't have foobaw as their #1 concern.  Anyone else is kneecapping their program by running a system that no QBs or WRs or OL or DL worth a shit wants to play in.  The first 3 aren't learning skills that will translate to the NFL and getting tape that will impress scouts.  The last one doesn't want to get cut block nonstop by 300 pounders at every practice for 3-5 years.

Right, but Calhoun was OC for the Texans in 2006.  I do think he graduated from AF so why would he leave?

10 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

Perhaps I think too little of Ga Tech, but going there seems like something barely above a lateral move.

Edited by redswingline
  • Hook 'Em 1

This could fit Stanford. Put some linemen and FB/TEs in the league. A Bowl game would be their goal.

3 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Perhaps I thought too much of Fritz, but going to Ga Tech seems like something barely above a lateral move.

I think it's clearly a step up. The schedule will be comparable to what Tulane currently faces, but the AAC is losing most of its best programs, and simply being in the ACC makes a playoff berth a whole lot more likely.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Right, but Calhoun was OC for the Texans in 2006.  I do think he graduated from AF so why would he leave?

Correct, he played for Air Force then did his tour of duty before getting into coaching.  It's probably contributing to him not getting a job elsewhere, but that hurdle can be overcome if somebody else wants you badly enough.  Plenty of coaches work for someone besides their alma mater.  It would be a fun offseason thought exercise to see who would be each team's head coach if they could only hire their own graduates.

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

It’s a really tough place to cash now in the era of the transfer portal.  The school doesn’t accept transfer students.  So some transfer out. None transfer in.  They’ll need to change that or they’re dust.  Not sure they will.

Does that include grad students assuming they qualify?

5 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think it's clearly a step up. The schedule will be comparable to what Tulane currently faces, but the AAC is losing most of its best programs,

That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that.

5 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

and simply being in the ACC makes a playoff berth a whole lot more likely.

That's funny.

Edited by redswingline

1 minute ago, redswingline said:

That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that.

That's funny. pretty sure fritz isn't choosing Ga Tech because of a higher chance of making the invitationals

As unlikely as it sounds, a championship is the ultimate goal of any coach who's worth a shit. And the new playoff format with autobids allows programs like Georgia Tech the opportunity to earn a spot on the field. It's a lot more likely than the current beauty pageant that would just about always require them to go undefeated.

2 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

This could fit Stanford. Put some linemen and FB/TEs in the league. A Bowl game would be their goal.

That is the only P5 program I could see successfully pulling off the option nowadays.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Stanford drops down to a lower level of football or stops playing it altogether, especially if the Pac starts inviting schools they perceive as too far below them.  As others have mentioned NIL and the portal really go against how they do things.  They don't need football money to stay afloat, they can afford to walk away if they deem the sport is moving too far from their values.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think that bylaw was created after they hired Pearl.  He was hired in 2014, and the revision to the bylaw was in 2017.

But your point stands; Auburn is going to do whatever the hell they want (or at least try).

Ah that makes sense.

But yeah, Auburn is dirty as hell.

2 minutes ago, redswingline said:

So if they leave a G5 school (for a P5 program) to pursue a championship, are they pursuing a championship while they are at said G5 school?

Yes. I'm sure Scott Frost proudly claims he won a national championship at UCF. But ultimately, a G5 job is an audition for a P5 job. You take that job because it's something you have to do to get consideration at one of the schools the system favors.

Wow! Now let's see if Auburn sells its soul for this pathetic excuse of a human being! Hugh Freeze literally comparing Ian McCaw (Baylor AD who ignored all of the assault cases) to Jesus! So is Briles God then!?!? And harassing victims over Twitter! F-ing pathetic! Auburn trying to add themselves to the Mount Rushmore of Assault joining Michigan State/Penn State/Baylor.

https://www.outkick.com/hugh-freeze-auburn-coach-hire-liberty-chelsea-andrews-sexual-assault-email/

17 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

They don't need football money to stay afloat

No school needs football money to stay afloat. Even with the crazy amount of TV revenue that has flooded the sport the past 10 years, School operating budgets dwarf football budgets.

For example, UCLA's operating budget was 9 Billion in 2021.

Edited by redswingline

3 minutes ago, redswingline said:

No school needs football money to stay afloat. Even with the crazy amount of TV revenue that has flooded the sport the past 10 years, School operating budgets dwarf football budgets.

For example, UCLA's operating budget was 9 Billion in 2021.

Right, my fault for not specifying but I was referring to their athletic department, not their entire university.  Stanford does care about their non-revenue sports, especially the Olympic sports.  They could find the money to continue playing those if they decide football's juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The above is correct.  Lots of appreciation in Badger-land for Chryst and some shock when he was let go, but not shocking to many closer to the athletic department.  Chryst was a good fit for a while as an alumnus, one who's coaching philosophy matched the existing blueprint, and the fact that he looks like every dad in the state of WI with his sweatshirt and cap on.  The problem was, as identified above, lack of emphasis on recruiting and the writing on the wall that we may get crushed going into the new world of NIL and transfer portal continuing down that path.  And who knows where conference realignment goes in the coming years - athletic departments cannot afford to become an also-ran these days or they risk some form of to-be-conceived-of relegation.

Prior to the Fickell buzz, even into last night, I think most of WI saw Jim Leonard as the likely successor at 85% and the field at 15%.  Fickell's name came up along with the other 6 or so usual suspects that always get mentioned and you never think are serious candidates.

I don't follow coaches nearly as closely as many here on Surly, but I've been impressed with Fickell and hoped he'd end up at Texas after the Herman firing or, probably a better fit, at Wisconsin.  

Another thing to note is our AD is 1.5 yrs in, so while this appears to be a very good hire, there's also likely a dash of a new AD wanting to put his own imprint on the program and not doing what everyone expected (hiring Leonard).  Kudos to him for getting it done.  UW flies under the radar a bit, but it has a surprisingly large (top 15ish) athletic budget and they're looking for results.

My two remaining questions:

- Most suspect tOSU is Fickell's dream job.  How long does UW keep him if he pans out?  If he gets snagged by tOSU in the future, presumably that means UW has been doing very well, in which case I wouldn't be too upset.

- What happens with Leonard?  He demonstrated considerable loyalty over the years to the UW program and was seemingly walking into his dream job.  Now that's not the case.  There will be a lot of questions about when and how he was made aware.  Wisconsinites love Jim Leonard.  CFB has become a cold business - we all get that, but some of us in or from WI still yearn for the good ol' days where we think things like loyalty, integrity, etc existed in college athletics.

Bringing this discussion back to UT... From a UW board asking why they were caught off guard on this hire and reports that Mrs. Fickell took a flight or two to Madison:

Reply: Honestly we’re not very good at this coaching change thing. Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, those guys are pros at this.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

Right, my fault for not specifying but I was referring to their athletic department, not their entire university.  Stanford does care about their non-revenue sports, especially the Olympic sports.  They could find the money to continue playing those if they decide football's juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

Got it. I better understand where you are coming from.

I'm not really sure what Stanfords long term plans for football are.

Is football running in the red? I assume so. Being a private school they don't have to disclose their operating costs / net / losses.

Even then, I find it hard to believe they would outright drop the program. Stanford blew ass for like 15 years and they didn't cut it. Why do it now?

Edited by redswingline

34 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Wow! Now let's see if Auburn sells its soul for this pathetic excuse of a human being! Hugh Freeze literally comparing Ian McCaw (Baylor AD who ignored all of the assault cases) to Jesus! So is Briles God then!?!? And harassing victims over Twitter! F-ing pathetic! Auburn trying to add themselves to the Mount Rushmore of Assault joining Michigan State/Penn State/Baylor.

https://www.outkick.com/hugh-freeze-auburn-coach-hire-liberty-chelsea-andrews-sexual-assault-email/

image.gif.9d0d39d15896830754ce9ee2caf38a1a.gif

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yes.

I respectfully disagree. i.e. I doubt Fritz told recruits, while at Tulane, that he was there to win FBS championships.

He may tell them he is there to win the conference championship - I can get onboard with that.

Edited by redswingline

27 minutes ago, BadgerHorn said:

The above is correct.  Lots of appreciation in Badger-land for Chryst and some shock when he was let go, but not shocking to many closer to the athletic department.  Chryst was a good fit for a while as an alumnus, one who's coaching philosophy matched the existing blueprint, and the fact that he looks like every dad in the state of WI with his sweatshirt and cap on.  The problem was, as identified above, lack of emphasis on recruiting and the writing on the wall that we may get crushed going into the new world of NIL and transfer portal continuing down that path.  And who knows where conference realignment goes in the coming years - athletic departments cannot afford to become an also-ran these days or they risk some form of to-be-conceived-of relegation.

Prior to the Fickell buzz, even into last night, I think most of WI saw Jim Leonard as the likely successor at 85% and the field at 15%.  Fickell's name came up along with the other 6 or so usual suspects that always get mentioned and you never think are serious candidates.

I don't follow coaches nearly as closely as many here on Surly, but I've been impressed with Fickell and hoped he'd end up at Texas after the Herman firing or, probably a better fit, at Wisconsin.  

Another thing to note is our AD is 1.5 yrs in, so while this appears to be a very good hire, there's also likely a dash of a new AD wanting to put his own imprint on the program and not doing what everyone expected (hiring Leonard).  Kudos to him for getting it done.  UW flies under the radar a bit, but it has a surprisingly large (top 15ish) athletic budget and they're looking for results.

My two remaining questions:

- Most suspect tOSU is Fickell's dream job.  How long does UW keep him if he pans out?  If he gets snagged by tOSU in the future, presumably that means UW has been doing very well, in which case I wouldn't be too upset.

- What happens with Leonard?  He demonstrated considerable loyalty over the years to the UW program and was seemingly walking into his dream job.  Now that's not the case.  There will be a lot of questions about when and how he was made aware.  Wisconsinites love Jim Leonard.  CFB has become a cold business - we all get that, but some of us in or from WI still yearn for the good ol' days where we think things like loyalty, integrity, etc existed in college athletics.

Bringing this discussion back to UT... From a UW board asking why they were caught off guard on this hire and reports that Mrs. Fickell took a flight or two to Madison:

Reply: Honestly we’re not very good at this coaching change thing. Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, those guys are pros at this.

Leonhard and they use the word "blindsided" when describing his reaction to the UW hire. 

45 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Wow! Now let's see if Auburn sells its soul for this pathetic excuse of a human being!

What exactly did Hugh Freeze do at Ole miss? I remember it was something about escort services.

Was he banging hookers, or calling up hookers for players?