CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/tu/omaha-world-herald-source-former-nebraska-football-coach-mickey-joseph-was-set-for-tu-interview/article_387366d6-7274-11ed-ad3a-37db1a8c18cd.html#tracking-source=home-sports

On the same day former Nebraska interim football coach Mickey Joseph was involved in an alleged incident with his wife at their home, he was set to interview for a coaching job at the University of Tulsa, according to an Omaha World-Herald story, citing an anonymous source.  

Following the alleged incident, Joseph was arrested about 3:10 p.m. Wednesday at the home of former Nebraska quarterback Steve Taylor, a real estate agent in Lincoln, the World-Herald reported.   Taylor posted a statement to Facebook after rampant internet rumors falsely suggested he was involved in the altercation.

“Dear Husker Nation ... my wife and (I) are friends with the Joseph family. Please disregard all rumors & innuendos because they are all totally false + terribly inaccurate! We are here to help & support Mickey’s family through this ordeal. My bond to my family & fellow Huskers is the most precious thing in my life!”

According to the World-Herald's source, Taylor, a Joseph family friend, had been trying to get Joseph to focus on an interview he was scheduled to have Wednesday for the coaching spot at Tulsa. The interview was conducted using computer software.

Lancaster County prosecutors have charged Joseph, 54, with one felony count of assault by strangulation or suffocation. Joseph denied the allegations to police, according to the affidavit cited in the World-Herald report. 

8 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

This part made me spit my drink

Carter and Belichick talked this week about Rhule.

“He’s been out here to Nebraska,” Carter said of the six-time Super Bowl champion. “He considers Nebraska to be the mecca of football. And he’s a big fan of Matt Rhule.”

Let's see, quick check of the Pro Football Hall of Fame shows Texas with 30 members, Pennsylvania 27, Ohio 22, and Nebraska...3. Yep, checks out.

Or maybe 'ol Bill was just talking about Nebraska's rank in a listing of 1990's college football meccas. Isn't it universally understood the world never changes after your 40s?

Might get a bigger opportunity soon...

How Taylor Housewright went from sleeping in closets to being one of college football's top young offensive coordinators

Housewright leads the offense for No. 4 Montana State and the Bobcats' run in the FCS Playoffs

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-taylor-housewright-went-from-sleeping-in-closets-to-being-one-of-college-footballs-top-young-offensive-coordinators

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

They promoted in-house so no surprise they serve the same old shit sandwich. Can only surmise that Trauth abhors anything more than mediocrity (at best). Just a shameful squandering of opportunity. There's absolutely no reason Texas State can't be on the same level as the mid-tier Florida schools like UCF, SFU, FAU. The talent bed is there, the student population is there, the brand is should be there. The inability to attract a coach of any measure is truly mind boggling.

Preach, brother, preach!!!! Getting lapped by UTSA and schooled by (checks notes...) Incarnate Word?

image.png.3627a8315a4f563a1a25272dd2b886db.png

Bobby Burton and Gerry Hamilton saying Tulsa is not a good job because it's hard to win there now...  they are not surprised that G.J. Kinne turned it down and picked TxState job.

"Texas State moves quickly, hires FCS coach G.J. Kinne as Bobcats' next head coach"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-state-moves-quickly-hires-222837868.html

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Bobby Burton and Gerry Hamilton saying Tulsa is not a good job because it's hard to win there now...  they are not surprised that G.J. Kinne turned it down and picked TxState job.

"Texas State moves quickly, hires FCS coach G.J. Kinne as Bobcats' next head coach"

Harder than Texas State and its headless chicken administration? I know Tulsa is a tiny religious school but still... oof.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Harder than Texas State and its headless chicken administration? I know Tulsa is a tiny religious school but still... oof.

Agree that the administration at TxState has been just horrible.  Hopefully GJ Kinne can win for the bobkittens despite the shitshow that has been going on in that Athletic Dept and the higher ups...  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Ha. I am intrigued by Prime to CU though. From a visibility perspective it’s a huge win for CU.

Could be a huge flameout like Hawkins/Tucker but, he might be the next Crowder/Mac.  Barnett was building a solid base and the admin fucked him.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Must have full buy in from the admin.

Got a new president that sees the connection between athletics and success.  Have to go back to Gordon gee to find an administration that cared.

Before being named president, Saliman served as CU’s senior vice president for strategy, government relations and chief financial officer. As head of the university’s budget and finance operations for more than 10 years, Saliman was instrumental in transforming CU’s budgeting process to make it more efficient, transparent and easily understood. His efforts have helped enable the Board of Regents to keep tuition in check while making informed decisions that allow CU to thrive.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I actually don't think that would be a bad hire.  Beck is a good recruiter and someone who appeared to be pretty good at building relationships and communication.  As always, it would depend on the Coordinator hires.  Beck has 30+ years coaching college football and a little bit of time in the Texas high school ranks, so he clearly has a rolodex of guys to interview.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ha. I am intrigued by Prime to CU though. From a visibility perspective it’s a huge win for CU.

I too am intrigued. I can’t think of a coach who’s personality fits the school and the local twin less than Deion at CU in Boulder.

Should be interesting at a minimum. I hope he does well though.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas State is where coaching careers go to die.  Other then Bailiff no one has gone on to another HC job any time after that in the last 30 years.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I too am intrigued. I can’t think of a coach who’s personality fits the school and the local twin less than Deion at CU in Boulder.

Should be interesting at a minimum. I hope he does well though.

It's a war on the expression 'institutional fit.' 

But really, success would be winning 8 games and the FSU job opens up. 

Names emerge as potential staff additions if Deion Sanders accepts Colorado job

JOHN BRICE       7 HOURS AGO

Deion Sanders has indicated where he plans to coach in 2023 will be known by Sunday; Coach Prime’s Jackson State Tigers play today in the Southwestern Athletic Conference title game.

Sources throughout the week have indicated to FootballScoop that Sanders is expected to accept the head coaching post at the University of Colorado, which earlier this season fired Karl Dorrell. Sanders himself confirmed he had received an offer from the Buffaloes, and he insisted that was not his only option to leave Jackson State to be a head coach elsewhere. 

Coaches at both the collegiate and NFL levels have told FootballScoop this week that Sanders has been working to find potential new staff members and also “he’s trying to help potentially find his replacement at Jackson State.”

Sanders highly regards and remains in close contact with Willie Simmons, the current Florida A&M head coach who also previously served as head coach at Prairie View A&M and prior to that as Alcorn State’s offensive coordinator. Sources told FootballScoop Sanders is very interested in adding Simmons to his offensive staff. 

Additionally, sources told FootballScoop this week that Sanders is expected to target veteran Power 5 assistant Charles Kelly to serve as his defensive coordinator. 

Currently Alabama’s assistant defensive coordinator and safeties coach, Kelly also has previous stints at Florida State, Georgia Tech and Tennessee, among others.

Kelly has a direct tie to a key member of Sanders’s current staff: Tim Brewster. Both Brewster and Kelly were together for several seasons on Jimbo Fisher’s Florida State staff.

Sources stress to FootballScoop Sanders will not reach out to candidates until such time as he has accepted the position. 

A coach at a prominent high school program told FootballScoop this week that Sanders had been on a recruiting call with one of the coach’s players and had told the recruit not to make a commitment or sign anywhere until he saw what Sanders was going to do.

All signs have pointed toward Sanders accepting Colorado’s offer, which FootballScoop was told would average more than $5 million per season – matching additional reports along similar lines. The job was believed to be down to either Sanders or Tom Herman, and Herman earlier this week accepted the Florida Atlantic University job.