CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

On 12/2/2022 at 3:01 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

Let's see, quick check of the Pro Football Hall of Fame shows Texas with 30 members, Pennsylvania 27, Ohio 22, and Nebraska...3. Yep, checks out.

I'm with ya, but we can dice statistics in a lot of ways, such as NFL HOFers by school.

Texas - 5 HOFers

Pedophile State - 6 HOFers

Corn - 5 HOFers

Ohio St - 10 HOFers

Miami - 9 HOFers

Michigan - 11 HOFers

Pitt - 9 HOFers

USC - 13 HOFers

Oregon - 6 HOFers

The most shocking one. U of San Francisco- 4 HOFers (5 if you count Pete Rozelle the commissioner).

How in the fuck does USF have 4 players in the Hall? They must have had a super team in the 50s of former military veterans

Edited by redswingline

I get it for Colorado. I don't get it for Deion. 
Like he told his players, coaches only have 2 options..move up or get fired. Jackson State was never gonna be able to muster up enough scratch to keep Neon Deion happy, and if he's not able to match or exceed this seasons success the next few seasons..he would possibly be on the chopping block, and certainly not getting a significant extension/raise.

Having said that, the Buffs seem like an odd choice if he had other serious offers..agreed.

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Texas State is where coaching careers go to die.  Other then Bailiff no one has gone on to another HC job any time after that in the last 30 years.  

ERRONEOUS!!!  ERRONEOUS!!!

After being fired by Texas State, Brad Wright was named the head coach of Waller High School.

And Manny Matsakis has been a head coach twice -- Bethany College and Defiance College.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, redswingline said:

How in the fuck does USF have 4 players in the Hall? They must have had a super team in the 50s of former military veterans

Yeah they all played on the same team. They went undefeated, crushing everyone, but didn't play in a bowl game because they had black players and finished #14 despite being unbeaten. Then they disbanded their program after the season. And yeah something like 10 guys on that team were all-pros and long term NFL starters, including 4 Hall of Famers. But it was just that one team, the 1951 USF Dons. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

ERRONEOUS!!!  ERRONEOUS!!!

After being fired by Texas State, Brad Wright was named the head coach of Waller High School.

And Manny Matsakis has been a head coach twice -- Bethany College and Defiance College.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Ok I should have said not at the same level or better. Lol. Manny’s Wikipedia says he definitely wasn’t a HC again after Texas State is what I said though….  Brad Wright also later was head coach for a Tapps school in Hallettsville with a total of maybe 20 players and was fired after one year I think.  

5 hours ago, ousux said:

Like he told his players, coaches only have 2 options..move up or get fired. Jackson State was never gonna be able to muster up enough scratch to keep Neon Deion happy, and if he's not able to match or exceed this seasons success the next few seasons..he would possibly be on the chopping block, and certainly not getting a significant extension/raise.

Having said that, the Buffs seem like an odd choice if he had other serious offers..agreed.

I think the Buffs are a great destination for Prime Time. He can recruit nationwide, which is what they need. Great school, great tradition, conference that is wide open, cool destination. 

If he can put a staff together and get Buffs backers to do NIL, he’ll kill it there. No reason CU can’t be like Oregon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, ousux said:

Gotta wonder about that last part, I would bet culture had a lot to do with lack of offers, too bad to, because he's a good coach. Colorado is a massive turn around job, one I'm not sure too many coaches want, considering if things don't get significantly better in year one, no matter what school, fans want you fired. 

Years 1,2&3 at CU will create a lot of doubters, years 4&5, they'll jump on board. 

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think the Buffs are a great destination for Prime Time. He can recruit nationwide, which is what they need. Great school, great tradition, conference that is wide open, cool destination. 

If he can put a staff together and get Buffs backers to do NIL, he’ll kill it there. No reason CU can’t be like Oregon

Uncle Phil says hi.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

Uncle Phil says hi.

Fair enough. No reason they can’t be as good as Utah, then.  

He will go hard in the transfer portal and likely do well, land some mercenaries, and establish Boulder as a cool destination. Which— it is, objectively. 

The key is his staff, put together a good one and there’s no reason CU can’t clean up in a PAC without the LA schools. 

32 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

He will go hard in the transfer portal and likely do well, land some mercenaries, and establish Boulder as a cool destination. Which— it is, objectively. 

The key is his staff, put together a good one and there’s no reason CU can’t clean up in a PAC without the LA schools. 

I think that has a lot to do with it. As CU sees the impending realignment happening they know they need to get much more national exposure or risk being a forgotten program if more realignment happens (post NCAA type). Sanders gives them that in spades as well as being a good coach and recruiter.

44 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Correct. Pac-12 is weak at the moment. Boulder is awesome. I don’t know what kind of NIL game CU can deliver but it’s not a bad destination for Prime. Low expectations there. 

19 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Colorado has nothing to lose, might as well throw a flyer on Sanders. They’re an irrelevant program in no one’s mind so they’ll be in the news for a few days for the first time in ~15 years.  

Exactly. All of their coaching hires have been busts, so its much easier for them to take a flier than most other schools, the expectations are low. With equal NIL resources, Deion will murder the recruiting trail, but I'm guessing Colorado's NIL efforts are miles behind today. Should be interesting to watch. 

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Deion will either be an absolute train wreck or wild success at a P5 school. For Colorado, train wreck might be an improvement, so fuck it, why not? It’ll be interesting to watch.

This is where I am. He's a character who demands attention (for better or worse), and should recruit well. Can he handle or effectively delegate the CEO and schematic elements of the job?

His high school imploding with an hour's notice for the kids wasn't exactly the best sign: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2016/02/02/the-spectacular-collapse-of-deion-sanders-prime-prep-academy/

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

Gotta wonder about that last part, I would bet culture had a lot to do with lack of offers, too bad to, because he's a good coach. Colorado is a massive turn around job, one I'm not sure too many coaches want, considering if things don't get significantly better in year one, no matter what school, fans want you fired. 

Years 1,2&3 at CU will create a lot of doubters, years 4&5, they'll jump on board. 

Ah yes... the joys of the "Instant Gratification Internet Generation." The Knuckleheads who spout off wisdom like, "Last year, I got my college degree after 7 years in Social Justice Engineering and now I deserve to be your Chief Operating Officer!" and, "My 25 followers on Tik Tok agree that since we did not win a 'Natty' in the first year of our new coach, he should be fired!"

Now, get off my lawn.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:58 PM, redswingline said:

I don't even have to read it to know what it says. It's the same shit for nearly all high profile coaches

The sides were working on a deal, but didn't know if it was going to happen.

Then something just told Rhule that was the right place for him (probably the millions he would get paid) and now he is coach. 

Just like a Hallmark Christmas American Girl Meets a European Prince movie

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

While I’m sure Boulder is great for 40 year old DINK’s, I’m not sure it ranks quite that high among recruits. 

Legal weed, great party atmosphere, great views.  I mean there are definitely way worse places to go as far as atmosphere...   College Station, anywhere In Alabama or Mississippi.  

9 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Legal weed, great party atmosphere, great views.  I mean there are definitely way worse places to go as far as atmosphere...   College Station, anywhere In Alabama or Mississippi.  

While legal weed is novel here - to the rest of the country it isn’t quite unusual. 

I have no idea the legitimacy of this account. 

I wonder how much of Prime’s inability to be taken seriously for some of the truly top tier jobs is his issues being vetted right now do to the Prime Prep fiasco. As bad as it looked on tv in the metroplex at the time, everything I have heard is that it was way worse than being reported.

He’s going to struggle to be cleared at most schools and probably needs a bit more initial oversight than most coaches. Col can take that chance because if he crashes and burns and get them hammered by the NCAA it’s not a major regression from where they are while the potential payoff is huge.

So people as “Why Col for Deion?” the best answer is that he was probably capped at the level he could get offers for because of his blatant disregard of academic requirements and minimal oversight as the head of Prime Prep. If he shows at Col he can keep nose clean, he is then much easier vetted to a bigger job. For Col, worst case he fucks up and they take an NCAA hit which sets them back to where they already are. If not, he either makes them good enough and he bails or maybe he like it there and they can find a way to moneywhip him longer term.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ousux said:

if he's not able to match or exceed this seasons success the next few seasons..he would possibly be on the chopping block, and certainly not getting a significant extension/raise.

This is dumb.  The three coaches prior to Deion went 6-11, 9-20, and 6-9.  Deion is 27-5 (win percentage of .844).

You really think he would have been on the chopping block with a couple .500 seasons?  That doesn't even address the prominence/publicity he gave the school regardless of the success of the team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I wonder how much of Prime’s inability to be taken seriously for some of the truly top tier jobs is his issues being vetted right now do to the Prime Prep fiasco. As bad as it looked on tv in the metroplex at the time, everything I have heard is that it was way worse than being reported.

He’s going to struggle to be cleared at most schools and probably needs a bit more initial oversight than most coaches. Col can take that chance because if he crashes and burns and get them hammered by the NCAA it’s not a major regression from where they are while the potential payoff is huge.

So people as “Why Col for Deion?” the best answer is that he was probably capped at the level he could get offers for because of his blatant disregard of academic requirements and minimal oversight as the head of Prime Prep. If he shows at Col he can keep nose clean, he is then much easier vetted to a bigger job. For Col, worst case he fucks up and they take an NCAA hit which sets them back to where they already are. If not, he either makes them good enough and he bails or maybe he like it there and they can find a way to moneywhip him longer term.

I'm sure what he did at prime prep was far worse than any coach at Auburn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah they all played on the same team. They went undefeated, crushing everyone, but didn't play in a bowl game because they had black players and finished #14 despite being unbeaten. Then they disbanded their program after the season. And yeah something like 10 guys on that team were all-pros and long term NFL starters, including 4 Hall of Famers. But it was just that one team, the 1951 USF Dons. 

surprised the whores at disney didn't try to cash in on this story

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Who was the last recruit who chose a school because of “great views”?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

Ah yes... the joys of the "Instant Gratification Internet Generation." The Knuckleheads who spout off wisdom like, "Last year, I got my college degree after 7 years in Social Justice Engineering and now I deserve to be your Chief Operating Officer!" and, "My 25 followers on Tik Tok agree that since we did not win a 'Natty' in the first year of our new coach, he should be fired!"

Now, get off my lawn.

TIL most of surly and college football fans = “instant gratification internet generation”