CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh they did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'51_Dons

But the problem with their story is that they were so dominant there really isn't much drama, at least on the football field.

Ah, they went through espn to do it and made it in 2014. never heard of it.

for drama, they could have done all the anti-black stuff that kept them out of a bowl game.

I wonder how much of Prime’s inability to be taken seriously for some of the truly top tier jobs is his issues being vetted right now do to the Prime Prep fiasco. As bad as it looked on tv in the metroplex at the time, everything I have heard is that it was way worse than being reported.
He’s going to struggle to be cleared at most schools and probably needs a bit more initial oversight than most coaches. Col can take that chance because if he crashes and burns and get them hammered by the NCAA it’s not a major regression from where they are while the potential payoff is huge.

So people as “Why Col for Deion?” the best answer is that he was probably capped at the level he could get offers for because of his blatant disregard of academic requirements and minimal oversight as the head of Prime Prep. If he shows at Col he can keep nose clean, he is then much easier vetted to a bigger job. For Col, worst case he fucks up and they take an NCAA hit which sets them back to where they already are. If not, he either makes them good enough and he bails or maybe he like it there and they can find a way to moneywhip him longer term.

What the story on the prime academy?

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

I wasn't aware how capable he is at leading a group like that. This is an all timer type of speech. 

Agree... great speech those players needed to hear.  Coach Prime ain't foolin' around...

9 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

That room is going to look A LOT different by August. 

Yeah Coach Prime about to bring in a lot of new players...

Thx for this info @AP101S 

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

I wasn't aware how capable he is at leading a group like that. This is an all timer type of speech. 

I've watched all of the speeches I could find of his at JSU over the last year and I'm a believer. Not sure I want him at Texas, of course, but that's a HOF player who genuinely believes he is called by god. True or not doesn't matter, it's got power and he is not bullshitting.

I think every single ass in a seat realizes that he can replace them basically at will. Anyone who isn't terrified of recruiting against him is a fool. I won't say he'll have them in the playoffs within 4 years or anything, and I would consider his desire to just bring his buddies with him as coaches a huge flaw, but this dude is DANGEROUS and is going to be awesome to watch.

Also, it's hilarious for him to talk about rescuing "the homies" when 1/3rd of that room is named Dakota or Cooper.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree... great speech those players needed to hear.  Coach Prime ain't foolin' around...

Yeah Coach Prime about to bring in a lot of new players...

Thx for this info @AP101S 

Phil is the fuckhead that would never change the rules.  New President Saliman told him to fix it or GTFO.  I bet Phil is gone soon as the academic rankings and the AD have gone to shit under his "leadership".

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, 66BUFF said:

Got a new president that sees the connection between athletics and success.  Have to go back to Gordon gee to find an administration that cared.

Gordon Gee may care, and he may recognize the relationship between a university and a successful athletic program, but he’s a fucking moron. In Columbus he declared a 1992 tie between OSU and Michigan to be “one of our greatest wins ever.” And he was popular with the students who didn’t notice that while he was glad handing and promoting himself, he was slashing academic programs and jacking up tuition rates. He wasn’t doing anything to enhance the value of their degrees. I hate that guy. I couldn’t believe it when they brought him back. WVU is welcome to him.

he’s smart to get out of the racist south 

Actually he’s not. Deion is a southerner and a Floridian. I wish he had stayed another year or so and taken the Florida State job when it opens.

Colorado is a ski bum school with a generally anti football climate smack in the middle of Boulder. Deion will have students seeking shelter from microaggressions in droves.

I think he will have challenges at CU recruiting and retaining. I hope he has great success as I’m a fan of Prime as a player and Deion as a citizen. I think a lot of cards are stacked against him. They should have gone after Jerry kill as a turnaround guy.

25 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Actually he’s not. Deion is a southerner and a Floridian. I wish he had stayed another year or so and taken the Florida State job when it opens.

Colorado is a ski bum school with a generally anti football climate smack in the middle of Boulder. Deion will have students seeking shelter from microaggressions in droves.

I think he will have challenges at CU recruiting and retaining. I hope he has great success as I’m a fan of Prime as a player and Deion as a citizen. I think a lot of cards are stacked against him. They should have gone after Jerry kill as a turnaround guy.

If he can recruit at jsu he will have no issues at Colorado.  Bill McCartney had no challenges pulling kids from Texas and California. Prime will do that and pull from Florida

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

If he can recruit at jsu he will have no issues at Colorado.  Bill McCartney had no challenges pulling kids from Texas and California. Prime will do that and pull from Florida

Deion had carte blanche at jsu to do what was needed and great support from a desperate program. I’ve lived up there and believe Deion will chafe at some of the constant bullshit that emanates from that that campus and that town.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Tim Beck

From CBS Sports …

This is Beck's first crack as a head coach, and he is taking over a Chanticleers program that established a tradition of offensive success under Chadwell. None of Beck's three Wolfpack offenses finished in the top half of the ACC, and two of this three offenses at Texas finished in the bottom half of the Big 12. This hire doesn't make any sense. Grade: F
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Will be real interesting to see the names thrown out at this job. Are we talking O like G Riley or former P5 HC in Fuentes or Odom or we looking at someone completely off script.

I don't think Garrett Riley wants any part of UNT.  If he can put together a 10 win season next year, he'll get some looks from lower P5 schools.

From CBS Sports …
    This is Beck's first crack as a head coach, and he is taking over a Chanticleers program that established a tradition of offensive success under Chadwell. None of Beck's three Wolfpack offenses finished in the top half of the ACC, and two of this three offenses at Texas finished in the bottom half of the Big 12. This hire doesn't make any sense. Grade: F

The existence of something called “Coastal Carolina” doesn’t make any fucking sense either, so the hire actually does make sense.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Colorado will have to figure out their NIL game. Charisma is great and all, but money talks. They get that locked down and the show will be worth watching.

21 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So the guy Louisville fans have been wanting gone from the get go is jumping to Cinci? Unless there is some serious history for him to make the jump, isn’t this at best a lateral move?

Unless the Louisville folks were about to fire Satterfield, this is kind of a slap to ACC and Louisville for one of their sitting head coaches to leave for a job at Cincy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

So the guy Louisville fans have been wanting gone from the get go is jumping to Cinci? Unless there is some serious history for him to make the jump, isn’t this at best a lateral move?

The guy is getting a new 6 year deal for more money and a better buyout. He was already getting heat at Louisville. The ACC blows in every possible way, including financially. He has a chance to coach a big dog team in the Big 12, and the Big 12 looks like it will be healthier financially going forward than the ACC due to the ACC's idiotic deals and GOR through 2035.

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does anyone know if this move was ushered?

You have to think it is one of two things:

1) Herman is giving him a big promotion

or

2) He was encouraged to find an exit

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The guy is getting a new 6 year deal for more money and a better buyout. He was already getting heat at Louisville. The ACC blows in every possible way, including financially. He has a chance to coach a big dog team in the Big 12, and the Big 12 looks like it will be healthier financially going forward than the ACC due to the ACC's idiotic deals and GOR through 2035.

You have to think it is one of two things:

1) Herman is giving him a big promotion

or

2) He was encouraged to find an exit

Definitely leaning toward the latter.....

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ohh... I completely get why Satterfield would do it. But why would Cinci do it is my question. Could they not find a better option?? is there something I am missing about this guy? To me, it seems like they grabbed a coach that was struggling at a peer-type institution and provided him a bigger salary because of.... things... in the hope that he does something that he didn't do when presented a similar opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I guess I am dumbstruck by reading the takes here and elsewhere that this Sanders to CU move is going to be awesome. I would understand that POV if the "awesome" part was the expectation of watching a train wreck unfold in real time. But that's not what is going on here. Folks seem to think his success at CU is a lock. Why?

CU doesn't even have the money rallied together yet to manage Sanders' salary. You guys think NIL is just going to come together? "They're working on it." Guess who else is "working on it"? Every other school. Texas' NIL work is an ongoing challenge and the people "working on it" have been doing so for over a year. These people are intelligent, well-heeled, connected, and working with an AD with full buy-in and understanding. Compare that CU, which had zero NIL under Dorrell. Now they're going to snap their fingers and make it all happen? Okay.

Beyond that, Sanders' handling of his arrival on campus, irrespective of how it landed for you guys here, has landed at the national level like the Hindenburg. Players walked out of that room and immediately called other coaches and their parents, asking what the fuck just happened? Sanders is getting crushed on talk radio and in the press. 

I realize Deion Sanders was perhaps the greatest CB to have ever played the game. And he used charisma and energy to pull Jackson State up off of the mat. CU isn't Jackson State. They're in a P5 conference. They have facilities issues, NIL issues, personnel issues, competition issues, administrative issues, etc. They need someone sophisticated and organized to turn around that program. Is that Prime Time? Knock me over with a feather if it is after watching the laughable debacle of his bullshit with the high school he ran. Is there something to convince us that he's learned that lesson and fixed his own bullshit or hired some folks who will manage the administrative and organizational aspects better than he will? 

Ed Orgeron won a national title. Charlie Strong won a Sugar Bowl. I realize that disorganized figureheads can stumble into D-1 success. I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to believe that that can happen at an institution that just went 1-11 in the PAC 12 and has a recent history of basically loathing their football program. But okay, sure, recruiting!

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

IT Scoop:

Brennan Marion staying?

We hear Tulsa would more likely look at the Texas wide receivers coach as a potential offensive coordinator rather than head coach. Marion, a Tulsa alum, has been mentioned as an option but they’ve been looking at coaches with executive experience. Barry Odom was recently mentioned with the job but talks apparently broke down over money. GJ Kinne was originally thought to be the leader. He ended up at Texas State, indicating Tulsa passed on him.

We think it’s likely Marion remains at Texas but the coaching carousel can be as perilous to predict as the portal.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I am dumbstruck by reading the takes here and elsewhere that this Sanders to CU move is going to be awesome.

I think he should have stayed at Jackson State and been the 21st century Eddie Robinson. But CU was a weird and unexpected choice, I am intrigued by it.

I guess I am dumbstruck by reading the takes here and elsewhere that this Sanders to CU move is going to be awesome. I would understand that POV if the "awesome" part was the expectation of watching a train wreck unfold in real time. But that's not what is going on here. Folks seem to think his success at CU is a lock. Why?
CU doesn't even have the money rallied together yet to manage Sanders' salary. You guys think NIL is just going to come together? "They're working on it." Guess who else is "working on it"? Every other school. Texas' NIL work is an ongoing challenge and the people "working on it" have been doing so for over a year. These people are intelligent, well-heeled, connected, and working with an AD with full buy-in and understanding. Compare that CU, which had zero NIL under Dorrell. Now they're going to snap their fingers and make it all happen? Okay.
Beyond that, Sanders' handling of his arrival on campus, irrespective of how it landed for you guys here, has landed at the national level like the Hindenburg. Players walked out of that room and immediately called other coaches and their parents, asking what the fuck just happened? Sanders is getting crushed on talk radio and in the press. 
I realize Deion Sanders was perhaps the greatest CB to have ever played the game. And he used charisma and energy to pull Jackson State up off of the mat. CU isn't Jackson State. They're in a P5 conference. They have facilities issues, NIL issues, personnel issues, competition issues, administrative issues, etc. They need someone sophisticated and organized to turn around that program. Is that Prime Time? Knock me over with a feather if it is after watching the laughable debacle of his bullshit with the high school he ran. Is there something to convince us that he's learned that lesson and fixed his own bullshit or hired some folks who will manage the administrative and organizational aspects better than he will? 
Ed Orgeron won a national title. Charlie Strong won a Sugar Bowl. I realize that disorganized figureheads can stumble into D-1 success. I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to believe that that can happen at an institution that just went 1-11 in the PAC 12 and has a recent history of basically loathing their football program. But okay, sure, recruiting!

Heard part of Deions speech on Dan Patrick this morning. Sounded like he basically told his team go to the portal because I’m bringing some smart tough guys with me.

Seems like a great way to start. Just grab the wheel and steer straight into the ditch.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Heard part of Deions speech on Dan Patrick this morning. Sounded like he basically told his team go to the portal because I’m bringing some smart tough guys with me.

Seems like a great way to start. Just grab the wheel and steer straight into the ditch.

Perhaps not handled in the most delicate of ways, but how many people from a 1-11 team are indispensable?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, Hook1997 said:

Legal weed, great party atmosphere, great views.  I mean there are definitely way worse places to go as far as atmosphere...   College Station, anywhere In Alabama or Mississippi.  

I went out in Boulder on a Saturday night a few years ago (2019 I think) and I was stunned by how lame the downtown night life was.  There were very few college kids out partying.  Nowhere close to it's reputation.  Pretty much everyone I talked to said the CU students of today aren't like 20 years ago, when it was year-in year-out one of the best party schools on the planet.  Lots of rich kids from California who's idea of partying is getting high as hell or taking a lot of pills.

But it's definitely a beautiful place, a really nice city, and obviously legal weed.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

It's a reasonably young but crappy team, he needs as many of those kids as possible to leave so he can use the portal to go get some better players. I get their NIL issues but there will be lots of good players in the portal who won't be able to find a home with a program that is offering them any NIL. Sanders and his exposure will be enough to convince many to jump on board when their aren't many other options for them.