CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Graham Harrell to… Purdue?

Might be a good fit.

Wondered if Miss State might talk to Graham Harrell for their OC spot since he's from the Leach coaching tree.

Source: Purdue to hire Graham Harrell as offensive coordinator

Purdue is set to hire Graham Harrell as its offensive coordinator, the first major move under new coach Ryan Walters, a source told ESPN on Thursday.

Harrell, 37, spent the 2022 season as West Virginia's offensive coordinator, after three years in the same role at USC. A record-setting quarterback for the late Mike Leach at Texas Tech, Harrell began his coaching career under Leach at Washington State before landing his first coordinator role at North Texas in 2014.

Purdue hired Walters on Tuesday to replace Jeff Brohm, who left for the head-coaching job at Louisville, his alma mater. Walters, who previously worked as Illinois' defensive coordinator, is the first coach with a defensive background Purdue has hired since Leon Burtnett in 1982.

"There's this misnomer out there where you're a defensive-minded head coach and all of a sudden you'll be seeing the Power-I," Walters told ESPN on Wednesday. "I know what [defensive coordinators] don't want to see on game days, and that's offenses that will push the envelope, that will take some vertical shots down the field, that get creative in the run game, that provide you different pictures out of different personnel groupings, that have the ability to control the tempo, whether it's fast or slow.

"Those are all things that we, as defensive coordinators, hate to see, so that's what I want our offense to do."

West Virginia averaged 30.6 points per game this season, and Harrell's USC offenses ranked in the top 20 nationally in passing in all three seasons he coached there.

Purdue will be replacing several of its top offensive players, including quarterback Aidan O'Connell, wide receiver Charlie Jones and tight end Payne Durham, who all announced earlier Thursday that they will opt out of the Cheez-It Citrus Bowl against LSU. Two quarterbacks Harrell coached, JT Daniels and Kedon Slovis, are in the transfer portal. Daniels played for WVU this season, while Slovis was USC's primary quarterback throughout Harrell's time there.

Edited by LTtxfan

I wasn't referring to X's and O's.
I was referring to Bobby's, um, extracurricular past and how that might possibly relate to the city of Las Vegas.

I was just adding an interesting note to yours. It’s like Odom called him saying you kicked my ass, you looking to move to Vegas? I don’t think it will last. Petrino doesn’t work well with others and his coaching tree are mostly named Petrino.

Graham Cracker is making a good move to Purdue I think

his offense was a complete and total "known" in the Big 12 and every defense was set up to stop that type of offense and some offenses are set up now to keep a GH type offense off the field as well

his type of offense does not last long in the SEC SEC SEC either (Pirate mike had a seat that was warming up at MSU already) so GH would not have been a good fit there

there is plenty of room in the Big 10 for that type of offense and to still try and do what it did in the very early days of the Big 12 and that is just overwhelm some teams eventually and get to that "magic" 7 or 8 wins consistently.....that a place like Purdue will accept without hesitation and that some "Tech fans" seem to think is the holly grail of football accomplishments especially if you mix in one "tha season tho" every decade

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

Graham Harrell to… Purdue?

Good luck to them. During his time at USC, I didn’t see anything in his offense that impressed me. Granted it was during the extreme shit-show period, but he did nothing to help his players other than throw a lot. The “Air Raid” scheme was chuck the ball downfield and hope the WRs came down with a jump ball. Toss in an 8-yard deep slow developing running play for a change-up. Without O line protection, there were no quick hits or slants. 

On 12/16/2022 at 2:34 PM, USC_TMB said:

Good luck to them. During his time at USC, I didn’t see anything in his offense that impressed me. Granted it was during the extreme shit-show period, but he did nothing to help his players other than throw a lot. The “Air Raid” scheme was chuck the ball downfield and hope the WRs came down with a jump ball. Toss in an 8-yard deep slow developing running play for a change-up. Without O line protection, there were no quick hits or slants. 

Must've had good receivers if you were a top 20 offense all three of his years.  

Also, he kept Littrell propped up at UNT, who fell off when he left.

I don't like the guy, but I'm gonna be the contrarian here and say he is better than what you guys think.  That's my 2 cents, and it's likely not worth that.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Mike Bloomgren now 16-39 in 5 years at Rice

his seat gotta be fucking scorching heading into next season

Bailiff averaged 3-9 his last 3 seasons at Rice and was fired, even after 2 10-win seasons. Bloomgren basically averaging 3-9 over 5 years as HC

Rice should legit look at Seth Littrell

I would think the guy Navy just fired would be worth a look from Rice, though honestly they should just give up football or drop to FCS.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/16/2022 at 2:44 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

To be fair, out of him, Kingsbury, Cumbie, Morris, Riley, and Riley…. Hes the only one who hasnt reached head coach status.  even Heupel, Littrell, Holgo, Brown has been HCs

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... when was Garrett Riley a Head Coach ??

As far as Graham Harrell, imo he needs to repair his resume before a decent Head Coaching job comes his way.  

Seth Littrell probably needs to do the same by working on a staff like Saban's or Lincoln Riley's even if it's in an off-the-field role.

Funny note...  Autocorrect keeps changing Saban to "Satan" 😋

4 hours ago, cochamps said:

Must've had good receivers if you were a top 20 offense all three of his years.  

Also, he kept Littrell propped up at UNT, who fell off when he left.

I don't like the guy, but I'm gonna be the contrarian here and say he is better than what you guys think.  That's my 2 cents, and it's likely not worth that.

Receivers were the one position we were flush. Having Drake London, Michael Pittman and Amon Ra St. Brown for targets helped rack up the yards. From my viewpoint (which is worth less than 2 cents), I didn’t see any great scheming or adjustments.

I agree there must be something there, and honestly we were dog water during his tenure, so he didn’t have much to work with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hard disagree.  Usually at least one of the academies is doing well at any given time.  Since they largely recruit from the same pool that means the success of one directly hinders the success of the other two, but they usually cycle between success.  None are perpetually shit.  Air Force went 9-3 this year and 10-3 last year.  All 6 of their losses were by one score.  Navy went 11-2 in 2019, including a win over Kansas State in their bowl game.  Army has taken Michigan and Oklahoma to OT in recent memory.  The academies only play 1 or 2 P5 games a year and they usually hold their own in those games.  For their other 10-11 games against G5 and FCS competition they do as well as any other G5 program that puts in a little effort.  It's also important to keep in mind that academy football is mainly a military recruiting tool, not a money-printing NFL millionaire factory, and playing football at the highest level helps more with military recruiting than dropping down a level.  I guarantee Navy's coaches use the annual game vs Notre Dame as a recruiting pitch and that pitch goes away if Navy drops to FCS.
I don't think being unable to utilize the portal and NIL is a problem for the service academies.  Any recruit considering playing for an academy isn't doing it for money and their upperclassmen aren't allowed to transfer out so they don't have to worry about their guys who develop into stars transferring out.  The biggest football problem facing the academies is rule changes limiting cut blocks and blindside blocks, making it harder to execute option offenses.  It will be interesting to see if Navy acknowledges that and tries out a new offense or if they keep on trucking with the option.
I had a bunch of friends play for Army and the other thing that keeps some people away is that 60 or 90 days after the last game, can't remember which, all the players have to meet height and weight for the Army, which means they have to have a certain neck to waist ratio or ultimately, you can be kicked out for being a fat boy. My buds always told me that's why the OL and DL were so small and couldn't ever really compete with others. Plus, and not a knock against other schools but the majority of those nerds are some type of engineer and the school work doesn't really slack because just like when you get to the Uncle Sugar's Army, you will have to learn how to manage your time with a shit ton of tasks and no one gives a fuck if you can't get it done (because I did it so YOU can do it, another dumb "tradition").
Please take this with a grain of salt as I was a lowly senior enlisted Infantry dude........

SIAP...  Navy promotes Brian Newberry to head coach

DOUG SAMUELS        DEC 19, 2022

Navy has decided to keep things in-house for their new head coach.  Defensive coordinator Brian Newberry has been promoted to the head coaching post, Navy has announced.

Pete Thamel was first to report the news earlier this morning.

He replaces Ken Niumatalolo, who led the team since 2007.  Newberry joined the program as defensive coordinator in 2019. 

Prior to joining the FBS ranks, Newberry coordinated the defense at Kennesaw State (FCS - GA) from 2015-18, where he helped them reach the quarterfinals in his final two seasons with the program. During his time there, his defenses ranked near the top of FCS in a number of key defensive statistics.

He's also served as defensive coordinator at Northern Michigan (D-II), University of the South-Sewanee (D-III), and Washington and Lee (D-III). 

Thamel adds that an official announcement is expected soon.

On 12/14/2022 at 7:31 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I don’t know how accurate they are but there are videos that keep popping up on my YouTube that say Alabama is losing their receivers and people are blaming Balls on Chin O’Brien. I have thought he would be jettisoned after the season but, it hasn’t yet happened.

Yes most Bama fans are blaming him for everything since the JFK assassination.  His offense while scoring a lot of points goes to sleep for long periods of the game. Bryce Young covered a lot of his ineptness.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:34 PM, USC_TMB said:

I miss Clay Helton.  I mean I really miss him.

• Haha 4

Sources: North Texas to fill coordinator role from Alabama staff

Alabama special teams guru Drew Svoboda is set to return to Texas as a member of Eric Morris's new staff, sources tell FootballScoop.

ZACH BARNETT.         18 HRS AGO

At his introductory press conference on Wednesday, new North Texas head coach Eric Morris said he intends to hire at least one more coach with prior Texas high school football experience and that he planned to hire a special teams coordinator. He could have both in one hire.

Sources told FootballScoop on Thursday that Drew Svoboda is expected to join the staff as associate head coach and special teams coordinator. 

Svoboda is currently in his second season at Alabama. He joined the staff in 2021 as special teams coordinator and tight ends coach, and in 2022 transitioned to senior special assistant to the head coach. He is expected to remain with the Crimson Tide through the Sugar Bowl. 

Svoboda broke into the college ranks at Rice from 2018-20. In 2019 he took over special teams and his units regularly ranked among the top 20 nationally according to various special teams metrics and produced a collection of all-conference players.

Prior to Rice, Svoboda was the head coach at Klein Collins High School, near Houston. He went 93-24 in 10 seasons and served as president of the Greater Houston Football Coaches Association and sat on the board of the Texas High School Coaches Association. 

Morris has already hired former Lancaster High School head coach Chris Gilbert as assistant head coach and tight ends coach; Gilbert was previously the director of high school relations at Texas.

Morris is also in discussions with at least one additional Texas high school head coach about joining the Mean Green staff, sources tell FootballScoop. 

Unpacking the Silliness of College Football’s Coaching Carousel

There weren’t many massive shifts in college football leadership this year, but the changes that were made slot into a few distinguishable tiers.

RICHARD JOHNSON          DEC 23, 2022

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/23/unpacking-silliness-tiers-cfb-college-football-coaching-carousel

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah that tweet has the credibility of a Nigerian prince given the source. 

I don’t think any of us actually believes that it is true but, just the fact that someone put that out there is enough to force a chuckle. And, if it did come to fruition that would, indeed, be incredible.

5 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Sounds like Aranda is trying to pull Oregon co-DC Matt Powledge back to Baylor to be his new DC.  He coached safeties and special teams for Baylor for 2 seasons prior to going to Oregon last year.

I am curious about this upcoming season for Baylor. The shine is quickly wearing off of Aranda, but it will be telling to see how other coaches view coming into his program. 

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I am curious about this upcoming season for Baylor. The shine is quickly wearing off of Aranda, but it will be telling to see how other coaches view coming into his program. 

Luster is off "Six Win Aranda"

Screenshot_20221202-181758_kindlephoto-2278896.png

image.png

Aranda is a creepy weird dude...

Familiar name not being retained...

Sources: Zach Arnett planning major staff shake-up at Mississippi State

Sources tell FootballScoop some half-dozen staffers "aren't expected to return" in 2023

JOHN BRICE         16 HOURS AGO

Mississippi State is continuing its heartbreaking transition to a new era in the Bulldogs' football program after the sudden passing of iconic and beloved coach Mike Leach, which saw Monday's ReliaQuest Bowl the first game of newly appointed head coach Zach Arnett.

The Bulldogs, who beat Illinois in the Tampa, Florida-based postseason finale, are expected to make a number of significant changes on Arnett’s inaugural staff, multiple sources told FootballScoop this weekend.

Per sources, the following coaches “aren’t expected to return” to the Bulldogs’ staff in 2023: inside receivers coach Drew Hollingshead, outside receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr., running backs coach Jason Washington and defensive line coach Jeff Phelps. Additional coaches also might not return depending on additional factors. 

Further, sources told FootballScoop that a pair of Mississippi State off-the-field staff members – associate athletics director for football administration Brittany Thackery and associate athletics director for player personnel Matt Dudek – also “are not expected” to be part of Arnett’s future staff plans.

Hollingshead had spent the past half-dozen years on Leach’s staffs at both Washington State and Mississippi State, and Spurrier Jr. has served as the Bulldogs’ pass game coordinator in addition to his positional duties while on Leach’s staff the past three years in Starkville, Mississippi.

Washington had been a defensive coach at Texas, where he also served as the Longhorns’ recruiting coordinator under former Texas coach Tom Herman, but also had spent the past three years with Leach at MSU.

As of now the lone defensive staff member not expected to be retained, Phelps had spent the past six seasons with Leach as part of his Cougars’ and Bulldogs’ staffs. 

Additional staff changes in addition to these remain possible and should become clear in the coming days. 

Sources: Kevin Wilson bringing highly regarded Ohio State staffer to run Tulsa defense

Matt Guerrieri had a long run at Duke, reunited in 2022 at Ohio State with Jim Knowles

JOHN BRICE           21 HOURS AGO

Back as a head coach for the first time in six years, Kevin Wilson is working to assemble a strong first staff at Tulsa, and he's got his defensive coordinator in a key move.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Matt Guerrieri has agreed to become Wilson's first defensive coordinator for the Golden Hurricane.

It's a quick return to play-calling duties for Guerrieri, who spent the 2022 season as a senior defensive analyst for Jim Knowles's Ohio State defense after Guerrieri's final four years at Duke saw him as the Blue Devils' co-defensive coordinator.

An Ohio native who starred in college at Football Championship Subdivision program Davidson, Guerrieri turned in elite work at Duke, where he was an AFCA Assistant Coach of the Year finalist for his work with the Blue Devils' defense in 2020.

Wilson and Guerrieri were colleagues the past year at Ohio State, and sources told FootballScoop that Guerrieri had made an immediate impression on Wilson -- and the entire Buckeyes' staff.

Tulsa parted with Philip Montgomery following a 5-7 2022 season. Wilson previously served as head coach six seasons at Indiana University, where Wilson gradually carved a competitive program that made back-to-back postseason appearances in Wilson's final two seasons at the helm.

Wilson is set to be greeted with a daunting non-conference schedule in 2023; the Golden Hurricane open with FCS-program Arkansas-Pine Bluff and also has a September home date against soon-to-be-SEC-resident Oklahoma, as well as non-conference road trips to Washington and Northern Illinois all within the season's first month.

On 12/30/2022 at 6:04 PM, Bodhi said:

Nebraska hires Arlington Martin HS HC Bob Wager as Tight Ends Coach and Special Teams Asst.  Rhule wants those Texas recruits. Apparently did something similar with Joey McGuire while at Baylor. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/bob-wager-to-leave-arlington-martin-join-matt-rhule-s-staff-at-nebraska/ar-AA15P5Rk

Update at Nebraska: Matt Rhule moving to fill two more staff positions

Matt Rhule is working to bring two young coaches to Lincoln that worked and played for him at Baylor, then followed him to Carolina.

ZACH BARNETT           14 HOURS AGO

Joe Person, who covers the Carolina Panthers for The Athletic, tweeted Monday night Rob Dvoracek and Garret McGuire are set to follow Matt Rhule from Carolina to Nebraska.

FootballScoop can confirm Matt Rhule is pursuing both coaches, though we're told nothing is final in Carolina. The Panthers will conclude their season Sunday, and interim head coach Steve Wilks is a candidate for the full-time position. 

Both coaches have long histories with Rhule. 

Dvoracek played for Rhule in his first season at Temple (2013), then transitioned into a student coaching role following a career-ending injury. He spent 2017-18 as a defensive quality control coach under Rhule at Baylor and, after two seasons coaching edge players at Lehigh, joined him in Carolina in 2021. 

McGuire was a reserve quarterback and special teams player for Rhule at Baylor, then joined his staff upon graduation as a coaching assistant. He is the son of Texas Tech head coach Joey McGuire.

Person reports that Dvoracek would coach linebackers while McGuire would handle wide receivers.

Sources: Zach Arnett, Mississippi State closing in on veteran SEC coordinator, O-line coach

Arnett is adding Will Friend to coach the Bulldogs' line, working to finalize a deal with Mike Bobo as offensive coordinator

JOHN BRICE        JAN 6, 2023

Zach Arnett appears to have his offensive coordinator – and his offensive line coach.

It’s a pair of highly regarded coaches with deep-reaching Southeastern Conference ties, too.  Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Arnett is targeting Mike Bobo, working to finalize a deal, and Will Friend to run the Bulldogs’ offense and coach their offensive line, respectively.

No deal is completed with Bobo, but the two sides are deep in discussions. Bobo is a senior offensive analyst at Georgia, which faces TCU Monday night for the College Football Playoff championship. 

Friend’s addition to the Bulldogs’ staff already is confirmed, per multiple sources. He was in Starkville, Mississippi, at the MSU football offices Friday, per sources. 

A veteran offensive play-caller who rose to national notoriety at the University of Georgia, where he also starred as a quarterback, Bobo has been a head coach at the Football Bowls Subdivision level at Colorado State and coordinated SEC offenses at Georgia and Auburn, among other stops.

Bobo hardly is the only potential play-caller to have discussions with Arnett. Kendal Briles was a top Bulldogs' target, per sources, until Briles agreed to terms on a new deal with Arkansas and elected to remain atop the Razorbacks' offense. Texas Tech's Zach Kittley and Ole Miss passing game coordinator John David Baker, both coaches viewed as among college football's top young offensive minds, also had been vetted by Arnett and the Bulldogs, per sources. 

Friend has coached at numerous college programs in the South, including Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee; he’s a former starting offensive lineman at Alabama.

Earlier this week, Friend had reportedly agreed to join Ryan Silverfield’s University of Memphis staff as the Tigers’ offensive line coach, but he’s long been extremely close friends with Bobo and also has the deep ties to coaching and recruiting in the SEC.

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

How is UGA’s OC Todd Monken not getting any play for better jobs? He has put their offense on a higher level with a QB who appeared to be little more than a game manager at best early last year. 

I doubt he's going to leave Georgia for an OC position at another program, so what decent head coaching jobs are available?  Seems like most/all have been filled by now.  I'm guessing his phone will really start ringing toward the end of next season.