CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Updates from FootballScoop:

Louisville is giving Jeff Brohm a mid-week deadline to decide. Their next options are Neal Brown (Troy), Scott Satterfield (App State), and further down the list, Luke Fickell (Cincinnati).

Alabama OC Mike Locksley is the leading candidate for Maryland.

Mike Stoops is being floated for Central Michigan.

22 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Leach is in a perfect situation at WSU.  Low expectations.  No one busting his balls for being a weirdo.  Big money with low cost of living.  Pretty good gig, and seems to fit his mentality.

Well except that whole liking the Caribbean thing

How on Earth could any AD within their right mind, with all of the other qualified candidates out there, look at Mike Stoops and think, "Yeah, that would be a smart hire."

He failed miserably at the only HC job he ever had.

He failed miserable at being a DC the 2nd time around at OU.

These AD's make a ton more money than I do and yet they are that incompetent as to really think hiring Mike Stoops is a good idea????  

3 hours ago, taybo20 said:

I’m not sure I understand this entirely if I’m Malzahn. 

He likely wants out and that huge buyout might be an impediment to another school taking him on.  But yeah, I'd be like "Fuck you, pay me."

That was a horrible deal they signed him to.  No one else was bidding against them at they just money whipped him for no reason.  He's good but not great.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He likely wants out and that huge buyout might be an impediment to another school taking him on.  But yeah, I'd be like "Fuck you, pay me."

That was a horrible deal they signed him to.  No one else was bidding against them at they just money whipped him for no reason.  He's good but not great.

When "bidding against yourself, goes horribly wrong"...

Edited by kopp0e

33 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

When "bidding against yourself, goes horribly wrong"...

Don't see why Gus wants to stay at that Dumpster Fire...... Take the Buyout and move on

Here's a quick check-in with Gus at Auburn....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

How on Earth could any AD within their right mind, with all of the other qualified candidates out there, look at Mike Stoops and think, "Yeah, that would be a smart hire."

He failed miserably at the only HC job he ever had.

He failed miserable at being a DC the 2nd time around at OU.

These AD's make a ton more money than I do and yet they are that incompetent as to really think hiring Mike Stoops is a good idea????  

Name spelled s-t-o-o-p-s.   Name same as good coach we saw tv.  This guy good too. Oooh. Ooh. Aaah.  Aaah.   AD need banana.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

"Gus, if you don't reduce your buyout, we'll fire you and be forced to pay you your current buyout."

Not sure who Auburn hires next......

That seems even more absurd once you read it... Who won on the "re-negotiation"..? Gus, I think..?

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

"Gus, if you don't reduce your buyout, we'll fire you and be forced to pay you your current buyout." 

That's not how this works.  That's not how any of this works! 

Also, with Mike Stoops name popping up for HC at CMU, I expect the announcement that Bob has taken over as AD there will follow shortly?

• Like 1

Texas State wasn't going to hire Kendal.  

Anyone who hires Kendal as head coach while Art is alive will have to deal with having Art involved with the program in some manner.

I suspect that Kendal only got interviewed because TxSt's one big donor wanted them to hire Art, and interviewing Kendal was an attempt to pacify him.  

Edited by Beau Vine

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Completely talking out of my ass, but wonder if Ken Niumatalolo would finally consider leaving Navy.  He'd be following Johnson again but you know the roster would be recruited to fit his system.  And GT is the type of place that would, or could, have high quality kids.  Only makes $2 million at Navy and I don't imagine they'll ever go much higher.

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Completely talking out of my ass, but wonder if Ken Niumatalolo would finally consider leaving Navy.  He'd be following Johnson again but you know the roster would be recruited to fit his system.  And GT is the type of place that would, or could, have high quality kids.  Only makes $2 million at Navy and I don't imagine they'll ever go much higher.

PJ makes $3.25 at GT and they are broke as fuck and they have some type of issue with their "foundation" and with their athletics finances in general and they do not seem to have ever really sorted it out they just seem to have kind of let it get swept under the rug where it sits like a big lump under the rug

when you look at the taxes and even more so at the "longevity" of the Navy job Vs GT he might be long term better off at a job that he knows he is pretty secure if he beats Army and AF most years and makes a bowl game....sure the extra $600K or so after taxes would be really sweet, but so is being a head coach at a pretty low pressure job for possibly 8-10 more years if not longer

it is not like GT is the highest of high pressure jobs, but more so that Navy where he seems to be on a Bill Snyder type plan of coach for life

College football will be worse off without Paul Johnson.  

Do they just go straight to the GaSouthern coach?

Army's coach?

Ken Nuitalamoaloelaodijaohsfao seemed perfect a couple of seasons ago, but he had a really rough year.  

Weren't there rumors that Troy Calhoun was willing to interview at Kansas? If so then you have to think he'd pay his own way to interview at Georgia Tech.

Goddammit, Ole Miss is retaining Matt Luke. Hooray for clueless mediocrity, the dude is a dumber, fatter Clay Helton.

Dear Ole Miss family,

Greetings and Happy Holidays!  I want to express my appreciation for the passion and love you have for Ole Miss and our athletics program.  Over the past few weeks, I have heard from donors, fans and friends of Ole Miss and have had the chance to speak with many of you over the phone or in person. The viewpoints expressed are appreciated, and I take all input seriously. 

In the last several years, we have experienced some incredible highs around our program.  On the field, we played in back-to-back New Year's Six bowl games and brought the Sugar Bowl trophy to Oxford.  Off the field, The Grove hosted one of the most iconic airings of ESPN College Gameday in history.  In athletics, and thanks to your help, we built over $200 million in new or renovated facilities, and currently our student-athletes have the best academic profile in our history. The list of accomplishments goes on and on. 

In addition to the successes, we’ve endured some real challenges.  The unique complexity and length of the NCAA case created a cloud over our program for an unfair amount of time, and the sudden coaching change before the 2017 season infused more uncertainty.  

The peaks and valleys of the last several years combine to create high expectations for future success, and like you, we feel the angst and disappointment when we don’t meet them.  As Coach Luke stated on Tuesday, no one has higher expectations for this program than we do, and we must lock arms through the challenges to reach our potential.  In fact, one of the earliest themes I shared with you when I was hired was the grand potential of Ole Miss - if you recall, I said our ceiling is yet to be defined, and our attitude will be “why not Ole Miss?” 

Our 2018 football team has been through more adversity than most teams will experience in a decade, so our goal this year was to give them as much positivity and stability as possible.  And despite the challenges we have faced, these student-athletes banded together under Coach Luke’s leadership and gave us everything they had each and every week, even when others said they had nothing to play for.  They are to be commended for their perseverance, and we will always remember their commitment, especially the 2018 senior class.

Coach Luke is built to get our program back to where it should be and break through the next ceiling.  He went through a rebuild as a Rebel during his playing days, he has been involved in turning around an historically unsuccessful program as an assistant coach, and he has been here when Ole Miss has successfully competed on the biggest stages in college football. Coach Luke is a great coach and knows what disciplined, blue collar and hard-nosed football looks like, and he knows how to get through challenges.  Now that NCAA case is behind us, Coach Luke and his staff will have all of the resources to sell this great University and maximize our potential.

As the Athletics Director, my responsibility is to cast the vision for Ole Miss Athletics and to support our student-athletes with the best leaders and resources.  Specifically for football, my plan is to do the following:

• Support Coach Luke in making any and all adjustments to fix deficiencies.
  • Maximize our full potential by constantly improving every aspect of the program: salary pool, Manning Center (locker room and training room), student-athlete experience, gameday experience, academic support, etc.
  • Continue to enhance the recruiting operations to ensure long term success.
  • Maximize the recently completed restructure of our NCAA compliance and athletics legal counsel operations to proactively ensure we never have a major NCAA issue.
  • Build more fan support, one person, one meeting, one event, and one interaction at a time through personal relationships and delivering results.

We have prided ourselves on being a department that is accessible to all fans - constantly looking for new ways to gather feedback and fan thoughts.  To that end, we will be announcing a series of “town hall” style meetings for early 2019. Look for more news in the coming weeks about specific times and locations. 

In closing, I made a request to the Ole Miss family when I arrived in 2012 - I asked everyone to pull the rope in the same direction because you love Ole Miss and our student-athletes.  Now is the time to get behind Coach Luke, our staff, our players and help showcase this great University so that we can attract the next wave of exceptional student-athletes like so many that have come before.  To fully maximize our potential, we must show up every day with an optimistic mindset and execute with an unbelievable work ethic.  We are Ole Miss.

Hotty Toddy and Go Rebels!

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

GT fans haven’t forgotten. 

he is far from a great coach, but he takes a pretty big hit from people for a coach that at least had a winning record at most places he coached and considering he took over some pretty shitty situations

he did pretty good at Troy, he did great for the Cowboys considering how shitty the situation was and he did not exactly take over GT at the top of their game he basically put up very similar numbers to Georgie O' without the one really good season and the fans were already shitting on him by year 4 or 5

Buffalo was the one place where he just sucked, but it is not like he is jeff fischer ruiner of men