CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

How is going from a FCS powerhouse to Charlotte a real career boost?

From SBN's Steve Godfrey: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/2/22/17022946/charlotte-49ers-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

You know what school people were talking about the most at AFCA this year, and not because it was local? It was Charlotte. People were really, really shocked that Charlotte didn’t clean house, and I asked why. I couldn’t even name Charlotte’s head coach off the top of my head.

It’s a booming population, right? It’s a lot of people coming that don’t necessarily have families or provincial ties to one school or not. It’s a lot of people that aren’t necessarily from ‘college football country’ necessarily that are coming into Charlotte. The talent at some of the high schools is on the increase, and you have a school with no expectation and a program inside a major city -- they’ve got money, and they’ve got time. And all of those things are really, really appealing to a lot of head coaches.

Charlotte exists for a reason. I kind of bemoan those schools and what’s going on with Conference USA and the fact that they just can’t make money off of them. But from a coaching standpoint and from an “eventually winning football games” standpoint, I think Charlotte makes a ton of sense, and, I don’t want to go all “sleeping giant,” but I think you could turn that into an eight- to 10-game winner in the G5.

19 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

How do you sell Matt Wells to your fanbase?

1. no ties to mike

2. no ties to  Auburn

3. no ties to UT

4. used to recruiting to the #3 D1-A program in the state

5. he has recruited the west coast really well and still recruits across the USA looking at his past classes

6. Utah = Tongans and Tongans from there can = more Tongans from that school in the DFW area

7. Tech desperately needs to expand recruiting outside of Texas

8. he took over a good program, had a really good season then a drop off, but built it back up which means at 45 years old he has at least learned to bounce back and build up again with his own players and system Vs repeating the same stupid shit over again and expecting it to suddenly work

9. runs more of a spread which id what Tech has players for right now Vs the "air raid" that is stale

10. he seems to know how to evaluate assistants and is not scared to change them if needed

downsides are

1. he has not shown he can close out the "big game" yet he was close with MSU this year, but they lost it in the end and while MSU turned out to suck dicks this year it was still the opening game of the season for both team and it was a Big 10 team against MWC......and it is a lot better than getting shitted on by a terrible Ole; Miss while looking like total shit

he also "book ended" the season with a loss to Boise, but the reality is Boise is a machine and knows how to win the big game.....but still that is a question mark

2. he is not a "big name" and Tech fans will probably be on him immediately to win 9 games or more (like that is something Tech just does automatically)

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That sounds like a great hire for Charlotte.

North Carolina has its fair share of talent, if the coaches at the in-state programs can keep them from fleeing.

Talent can be found here. 

http://thechive.com/2012/04/04/one-american-city-girls-of-charlotte-nc-85-photos-2/

Interesting post from CU's 247 board:

Before you guys come after me with pitchforks, I know a guy who is very close with Jim Mora and he described Colorado as a "dream job". He sent me a list of things that Mora accomplished at UCLA and beyond. I know you guys have your mind made up but this is a guy that understands the pride and tradition at CU (his dad coached at CU 1968-1973 and has family ties here), wants the job badly and is a proven P5/Pac-12 head coach. Just wanted to get some of your thoughts...

1. Jim has quickly turned around 2 teams. Atlanta was 5-11 the year before Jim got there, they went 11-5 and played in the NFC Championship game his first year. He was awarded NFL - COY in 2004. 
2. UCLA was 4-8 and 6-7 before Jim got there. His first 3 years they won 9, 10, 10. That may not seem to impressive until you consider that in the history of UCLA football they have only had back to back 10 win seasons two other times. Now they are back to 2-8. 
?A. 6 years prior to Jim…27-35 
?B. Jim's 6 years…46-30 
?C. Since…2-8 
3. He had Top 20/15/5 recruiting classes every year he was at UCLA. When you consider the beast that is USC across town, as well as Stanford up the coast, that’s pretty impressive. And that says nothing of the crazy academic standards UCLA has that limited his ability to get some damn good players admitted. 
A. National Recruiting Rankings (Scout); 
2012 - 18 
2013 - 7 
2014 - 18 
2015 - 12 
2016 - 13 
2017 - 20 
4. He took the UCLA GSR from 59 to 88, and that’s with a school that offers no majors for players that might have some academic deficiencies. They also had an APR of 977, they had the highest team GPA in UCLA Football history and the most players on the Academic Honor Roll in School history. He created a mentorship program and hired a sports psychologist, something they’d never had. The UCLA players stayed out of trouble, graduated and got jobs…his players succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community. They were prepared to attack life after football with the same passion they brought to their football careers. Planning, networking and relationship building started the first day they walked on campus. The support and gratitude Jim received after he was let go from current and former players, and their families, was overwhelming. He shared some of the messages he received with me and they are amazing. 
5. They built an $85 million dollar facility on the shoulders of the early success they had. 
6. Jim was able to hire and construct a Strength and Conditioning Staff committed to Football only for the first time in UCLA history. He was also able to hire a nutritionist and massively upgrade the Nutrition Program for the players. 
7. UCLA had more players drafted into the NFL than any other team in the Pac 12 during Jim’s time there. 
8. He has been mentored by the likes of Bill Walsh, Don Coryell, Jim Finks, Mike Holmgren, Joe Gibbs, and his Dad 
9. Jim has coached over 25 players that are members of the Pro Football HOF. He has always told me how they have taught him what it takes to be great; Mindset, Attitude, Work Ethic and the personal Standard they held themselves and there teammates to. 
10. Jim can handle explaining the last 2 seasons at UCLA, although 2017 wasn’t horrible by UCLA standards. He is a reflective guy who knows where he went wrong, how he’s learned from it and how to fix it. Jim would never use lack of support from administration or injuries as an excuse, although they were factors. 
11. Jim has had tremendous success recruiting in California and Texas, 2 huge areas of focus for Colorado. He also has great ties in Georgia, Florida and Louisiana. He told me he would “put a fence around” a state like Colorado and never lose a kid to an out of State school. The guy Loves to recruit! 
12. Jim believes that embracing the former players and history of the program is essential. He wants former coaches and players to feel that they are always welcome, always respected, always honored for what they did and the time they spent in the program. His first week at UCLA he had a bar-b-que for all the former players and coaches. 
13. He has a unique way of relating to his players, he maintains strict discipline and holds his players to the highest standards, he’s tough on them but they LOVE him. He told me is motto was “demand but never demean” and ‘be critical of the performance, but not the performer…if he’s giving his best”. Those kids at UCLA saw him as someone that always had there back and they could trust. He followed them on all social media and looked at it constantly, and as he told his players he was “not looking over you, but looking out for you” 
13. Jim has a tremendous Staff ready to go. 
14. He still has 2 years remaining on his UCLA contract, so he can come cheap the first couple of years.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's probably jumping the gun, but Wells to Texas Tech is a real possibility.

Is he an air-raid or pro style guy?  Seems like the Big 12 is slowly getting away from all the air raid if this guy changes systems.  Still have Gundy and Holgo and OUsucks runs hurry up.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is he an air-raid or pro style guy?  Seems like the Big 12 is slowly getting away from all the air raid if this guy changes systems.  Still have Gundy and Holgo and OUsucks runs hurry up.

this is his current OC

https://utahstateaggies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=58

expect something like Oregon or Missouri under Pinkle

8 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Texas Tech's defense was better than Utah State's this year. It's completely wrong to look at raw totals when trying to judge a unit's strength. Even without getting into the fully adjusted numbers, just look at the average rank of the offenses they faced. Tech - #50, Utah State - #81 after throwing out each team's FCS opponent.

That's 72 yards per game on its own, which would move Texas Tech up to...the mid-50s in the defense list.

Edited by Huckleberry

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Texas Tech's defense was better than Utah State's this year. It's completely wrong to look at raw totals when trying to judge a unit's strength. Even without getting into the fully adjusted numbers, just look at the average rank of the offenses they faced. Tech - #50, Utah State - #81 after throwing out each team's FCS opponent.

They improved in the red zone but they still pretty much sucked because they gave up a ton of huge plays from beyond the red zone.

38 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is Wells known as a good recruiter? Tech had problems competing with TCU and Baylor on the recruiting trail in recent years.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest problems with this dude, he probably has weak Texas HS connections, and his current recruiting grounds suck and wouldn't benefit Tech at all.

If wells can take his OC with him, he should be fine.  He was about to get fired in Logan and the AD made him give up play calling and turn it over so that is when the current OC came in.  Thought TTU would go after a bigger name, but shit, outside of about 5 guys, everyone just gets fired everywhere after 3 or 4 years so who really gives a fuck anymore.