CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A bunch of talentless shitheads and malcontents were not going to win 9-10 games this year.  Scheme was good offensively, players were not.  Defense was a shit show but also starting 3 stars and walk-ons at Texas is fucking awful.

Urbs probably saw film on what was staying and what went to the NFL and was like "JFC, no" 

Texas in 2021's coaching market would have been far worse - a 7-6 season by Herman and even worse recruiting, and then competing with the likes of OU, LSU, ND, USC.  

Lack of talent was not why Urbs said, "JFC, no"

23 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Urban, what if I was to tell you that Texas boosters will pay for your finger-banging partner to relocate to Austin, is that something that might interest you?

If It was Urbs, I wouldn't want the Austin media to deal with.  They are not your friend if you're finger banging around Dirty Sixth. 

18 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think Kelly really fits well anywhere. From everything I've read, he's a major dick but if you win nobody really cares. 

I think he's definitely a top 10 coach. What is this like his 6th year with a top 15 finish in the last 7? 

Brian Kelly is a micro manager and the first to throw people under the bus.  He can manage a program very well but definitely not the culture of Louisiana.

25 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Brian Kelly is a micro manager and the first to throw people under the bus.  He can manage a program very well but definitely not the culture of Louisiana.

and Nick Saban isn't?  If he wins they won't give a shit about his personality or culture.

26 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

well it's a good thing then that he's not the coach of Louisiana.  but please tell me more about this culture of Louisiana you seem so knowledgeable of.

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Surly knows all, about everything. Always

13 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

well it's a good thing then that he's not the coach of Louisiana.  but please tell me more about this culture of Louisiana you seem so knowledgeable of.

I might have to if you're actually from Louisiana.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

"Hey this team is going to fucking suck ass, don't bother spending your money or renewing your season tickets." 

Yeah that would have gone over well. 

Coaches have cautioned and set expectations before a season started. Not Sark. He was bullish the team this year. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Coaches have cautioned and set expectations before a season started. Not Sark. He was bullish the team this year. 

Well to be fair, the team at times does indeed look bullish, but when presented with any adversarial situation, turns to bullshit.   Also, our offense probably looked unstoppable when playing against our defense.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I know Venables gets paid a shit ton to DC at Clemson, but there has to be a reason he hasn't taken a higher paying head coaching job. I think he just may be someone who doesn't need the pressure. If he takes the OU job, I can see it going poorly for him. 

Honestly I don't know that he's been actually offered a much higher paying gig than Clemson. He's been in the mix for HC openings but I don't know that he was ever the 1st choice or the turned them down person. Sure he could be HC for $1M more at other tiers, but that's not the same as more than doubling his salary or such at top tier.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

So it looks like VT is hiring the PSU DC. 

What is Elkos issue? Best case he’s looking at Tempme unless he thinks he can get Cinci if Fickle moves to ND? I am not getting why he hasnt grabbed a solid mid level job. 

He does realize that like 1/2 his defense is graduating/going to the NFL right?

10 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So it looks like VT is hiring the PSU DC. 

What is Elkos issue? Best case he’s looking at Tempme unless he thinks he can get Cinci if Fickle moves to ND? I am not getting why he hasnt grabbed a solid mid level job. 

He does realize that like 1/2 his defense is graduating/going to the NFL right?

Does the Temple HC pay better than the A&M DC?

19 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

Well to be fair, the team at times does indeed look bullish, but when presented with any adversarial situation, turns to bullshit.   Also, our offense probably looked unstoppable when playing against our defense.    

By "adversarial situation" you mean football games, right?

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I know Venables gets paid a shit ton to DC at Clemson, but there has to be a reason he hasn't taken a higher paying head coaching job. I think he just may be someone who doesn't need the pressure. If he takes the OU job, I can see it going poorly for him. 

Obviously there are guys who are excellent coordinators, but poor head coaches.  He might be one of those and he also might know that about himself.  If the case that he sucks as a head coach, let's hope he betrays his better instincts and takes the money.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

In other words, the Real Irish in Kelly  will come out and clash with the Cajuns and it will be a spectacular shit show!  

2 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

<Captain Obvious Trigger Warning>

Hide contents

I am struggling to understand how the economics of college athletics is sustainable. All this trickles down to schools without the major program revenue offering insane salaries.

Maybe the non-Blue Bloods hold the line and not pay >$5M per year…thus providing real motivation for all coaches to win their asses off for a chance at one of the few Blue Blood programs?

• Hook 'Em 1

Cumbie was QB after BJ Symons who followed Kliff at Tech.  Cumbie was MVP of the Holiday Bowl win over Double-Check Rahjahs and Company, after passing for 500+ yards and 3 TDs against the Golden( but pouty) Bears.

Edited by slorch