CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Shit. OU is hiring Fickell?  That concerns me. 

OU'd also do well with Campbell or Fickell. I could see Stoops trying to recruit Fickell (defensive coach, Ohio guy) to Oklahoma. If either of these is the end result, I wouldn't miss Riley too much.

Venables to OU sounds too simple. I think that would be a back up plan.

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

ESPN is making it sound like the Duke job will come down to Monken (Georgia OC) or Elko (A&M DC). 

That could be a good fit for Elko. I kinda thought he’d aim higher, like VT. But maybe that’s not happening and he wants to go ahead and make the leap. That program was in a better shape just a few years ago, that was when Cutcliffe should have bowed out gracefully. 

On 11/29/2021 at 4:36 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I, and I guarantee every non UT fan on this board whether they’ll admit or not, think UT is a bloated mess of arrogant and delusional boosters with more $ than they know what to do with and far too much influence, and that Texas football will be saddled with disappointing results until/unless that changes.

The SEC move brought that attitude of a lot of your fans and much of this board. Your jabs at us aren’t wrong. And neither are ours at you. Texas football can’t figure it’s self out, so it’s blaming it’s surroundings, taking a bigger check, and assuming your birthright of greatness will be reinstated as a result. This is what Nebraska did too.

I agree with the first paragraph here but the bolded part not so much. I read a lot of crap on this board but other then people just saying the big 12 is a joke of a conference I’m not sure many serious people blame the big 12 for ou kicking our ass yer in and year out or our crap coaching hires. And I don’t see an easier road to conference championship or playoffs in the sec.  not sure many serious posters on here say such a thing. 

Edited by Eugene11

12 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

I agree with the first paragraph here but the bolded part not so much. I read a lot of crap on this board but other then people just saying the big 12 is a joke of a conference I’m not sure many serious people blame the big 12 for ou kicking our ass yer in and year out or our crap coaching hires. And I don’t see an easier road to conference championship or playoffs in the sec.  not sure many serious posters on here say such a thing. 

I don't know that I see it so much on Surly, but I see it all over the internet as a whole - it's very common on Twitter.  And there's been plenty of blaming the Big 12 for Texas's problems here (although not as much as Dirt Burglars, who seemingly didn't actually have any problems in the Big 12).

And this isn't unique to Texas, by the way.  Every school that changed conferences has taken a "we're blowing this popsicle stand" mentality. 

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know that I see it so much on Surly, but I see it all over the internet as a whole - it's very common on Twitter.  And there's been plenty of blaming the Big 12 for Texas's problems here (although not as much as Dirt Burglars, who seemingly didn't actually have any problems in the Big 12).

And this isn't unique to Texas, by the way.  Every school that changed conferences has taken a "we're blowing this popsicle stand" mentality. 

Ahh. I see your problem. You’re listening to twatter. Lol

i see what you’re saying. I only really get my news, facts and research from this website of assholes. 

12 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

Ahh. I see your problem. You’re listening to twatter. Lol

i see what you’re saying. I only really get my news, facts and research from this website of assholes. 

And when I say I've seen it here, I should that there were usually more posters who called them idiots and blamed the coaching staff/university culture for Texas not meeting expectations.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Texas is a nearly two decade old smoldering clown fire, and the big 12 sucks. Both are true, but any causal relationship flows from the former to the latter. Celebrating leaving the big 12 is not the same as suggesting it has caused Texas to suck donkeys cock.

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Texas is a nearly two decade old smoldering clown fire, and the big 12 sucks. Both are true, but any causal relationship flows from the former to the latter. Celebrating leaving the big 12 is not the same as suggesting it has caused Texas to suck donkeys cock.

One decade.  We played for the NC in 2010.  That was the last time we didn't suck.

7 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

One decade.  We played for the NC in 2010.  That was the last time we didn't suck.

I would count 2018 as not sucking.  We played for a conference title and beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl (fuck off about Georgia not wanting to be there).  That's not sucking by any rational measure.

• Hook 'Em 1

For better or worse, OU has the luxury of waiting and not rushing its coaching search.  At or shortly after the time it got caught holding its dick in its hand, the Florida, USC, LSU, and Notre Dame jobs were filled.  I don't see a job out there that comes close to OU's level, so whoever the "best" candidate is out there looking to make a move, OU doesn't have any significant competition. 

I guess the only rush is early signing day, but since the Cali recruits they've lost likely aren't going to be swayed to come back to OU by whomever they hire, I'm not sure that's a factor.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I would count 2018 as not sucking.  We played for a conference title and beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl (fuck off about Georgia not wanting to be there).  That's not sucking by any rational measure.

Fair enough. It's been eleven years since that championship game.  We had a year where we didn't suck.  Still ten years, not contiguous.

Eric Nahlin: Rumblings of Gary Patterson joining Texas in some capacity

IT is hearing rumblings Gary Patterson will join Texas in some capacity. The fabled TCU coach was let-go midseason after choosing pine box over parade. That was a very Gary Patterson way to go out. As soon as he was out speculation emerged regarding him ending up at Texas. The connection of course being his close relationship to Texas AD Chris Del Conte. Those two are so close many suspected Del Conte would never leave TCU while Patterson was still the head coach.

Given his first in-season freedom in eons, Patterson was soon spotted in Austin. Sources quieted that down by saying there was nothing to Patterson and Texas. We were tracking it just in case, but then @BobbyBurton heard Patterson coming to Texas was very unlikely. This is from Bobby this a.m.: “A mea culpa on my part. Two and a half weeks ago, Coach Patterson told someone I trust that he wouldn’t be going anywhere next year, that he wasn’t “moving.” That being said, things can and do change.“

Indeed, at the time I also heard it was just too close to his TCU tenure for Patterson to assume a role at Texas, a school he relished in beating while captain of the Horned Frogs. As Bobby said, things can and do change. It probably didn’t sit well when SMU’s head coach was assigned Patterson’s office.

But still, Gary Patterson and Texas? Yesterday IT asked someone extremely close to Patterson if they could see him at Texas. His response, “Yes. He would take a DC job where he thinks he could win national championship.” Say what you will about UT’s chances to win a National Championship under Steve Sarkisian, but IT knows Patterson thinks highly of UT’s head coach. If this does happen, two first-order questions remain: 1. Is this something Sark truly wants, and 2., what role would Patterson assume?

1. We’re not sure about Sark’s feelings but we know he’ll have the money to get it done if he wants to. This is the big question remaining.

2. We’ve heard potential roles being everything from analyst to being in charge of the whole defense. We think analyst is highly unlikely and would be a foolish move.

To be clear, we have heard of no current defensive coaches being removed and it’s conceivable Patterson‘s know-how in the back-end could be married to Pete Kwiatkowski’s defensive front. Patterson would also bring some much-needed toughness and aggression to the program, not unlike Will Muschamp in 2008. It remains to be seen if this goes through, and exactly what his role would be, but the title is certainly accurate.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Patterson as DC is almost too good to be true. Do it for 2 years and then take over from Sark in 2024.

If Sark is done by 2024 it'll be because the whole damn team sucks, not just the offense. In that case, fatass won't be our coach either. 

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Patterson as DC is almost too good to be true. Do it for 2 years and then take over from Sark in 2024.

I assume you mean if Sark gets fired in 2024.  If that's the hypothetical scenario, I'm guessing Patterson wasn't enough of a badass to field a defense to save his job, and I don't see anyone on Sark's staff ascending to head coach.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of a program that his fired a head coach for poor performance only to promote someone on his staff as his replacement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I assume you mean if Sark gets fired in 2024.  If that's the hypothetical scenario, I'm guessing Patterson wasn't enough of a badass to field a defense to save his job, and I don't see anyone on Sark's staff ascending to head coach.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of a program that his fired a head coach for poor performance only to promote someone on his staff as his replacement. 

no good programs at least. i think ND did a reasonable move for continuity but like you said if team sucks you don't promote to get more of the same (or worse) 

47 minutes ago, South Austin said:

For better or worse, OU has the luxury of waiting and not rushing its coaching search. 

They can wait to get their pick of coaches for sure, but half of their team seems to be in the portal.  I think there is definitely some incentive for them to hurry up and decide to try to keep their entire roster from defecting.

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Good point, I'd prefer to fire Sark now and let GP take over. Sark can't win games and can't recruit

51 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Coach Orgeron was promoted from Mile's staff after he was fired but I can't remember if that was for poor performance or not.   

1 minute ago, Constant said:

A potential announcement could be near. Field being prepped, offices being cleaned…that said I thought yesterday was the day. If we are close, it has to be Venables. 

Athletic seems to think Saturday announcement with Venables…but this was ripped to shreds on Twitter.