CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

9 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Who? They play University of Louisiana at Lafayette on Saturday, as opposed to University of Louisiana at Monroe. ULM might as well start calling themselves Louisiana, just to fuck with those cajuns.

ULaLa is, weird as it is, the flagship of the University of Louisiana System, so they can do that. LSU is just off doing their own thing.

Just now, texifornia said:

ULaLa is, weird as it is, the flagship of the University of Louisiana System,

They can do it because the system rules require them to use the city name when speaking about the school but they've never formally addressed athletics. ULM doesn't do it just because it'd piss off lafayette.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Since the news is out now, I'll go and add some color.

Brewster fucking hates Fisher. He didn't like him before College Station and he didn't want to go to College Station. He attempted to get on staff at UT twice and at OU with Riley. Neither happened, but there was legit interest. So he settled on the offer at ATM. This year has sucked for them internally and the staff isn't "aligned" across the program. Rampant cheating wasn't part of the pitch to everyone coming in, nor was getting browbeaten to work 20+ hour days in order to catch Saban. 

Brewster and Mack parted on bad terms, but Mack isn't some dumbass. He's going to let Brewster do his thing from the tidewaters of Virginia down through Florida, and he's going to pay him to do it. 

I doubt this is the only turnover from the ATM staff. Fisher burned through relationships with staff, admins, boosters, players, and the AD when at FSU. It tumbled quickly after the Winston era. Dude does not handle losing well, and he doesn't handle insolence on a level even close to the magnanimity of Dr. Evil or Urban Meyer. This could be both a meteoric rise and collapse at ATM, over the course of the next 5 years.

Mack:  Hey Tim, this is Mack....

Tim: Yes, absolutely yes.

Mack: Well, Tim I didn't ask anyth...

Tim:  Coach, I just got in my car and I am driving to Chapel Hill

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

Good for Tim. Not sure what he sees in Mack at UNC but I wish him nothing but the best. Hate to lose him but that happens.

He doesn't have to bust his ass working 20 hour days. He doesn't have a capricious dick for a head coach. Mack is a dick but one he knows, and he probably told him that he can live in a beautiful place he enjoyed and that the goal is for an ACC championship play off games every other year, a goal much easier to attain than what the crazy Agglets are expecting from Jimbo. Tim has to be in his mid 50s and probably not interested in a HC position anymore.  He can country club with Mack and drink Juice boxes with the players until he retires.

12 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Who? They play University of Louisiana at Lafayette on Saturday, as opposed to University of Louisiana at Monroe. ULM might as well start calling themselves Louisiana, just to fuck with those cajuns.

Poooooooor Louisville. Struck out on their Scott Frost. 

I think Satterfield gets the job, and I think it's a good hire, but the fan base might riot. They struck out in Brohm, and are screaming for Leach right now, who I think would light it up at Louisville. 

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

ULaLa is, weird as it is, the flagship of the University of Louisiana System, so they can do that. LSU is just off doing their own thing.

How is that weird? They are twice as big, have an endowment six times as large, and were established 33 years before Monroe. No, the weird part is the range of schools that are in the UL system:

Grambling St., Louisiana Tech, McNeese St., Nicholls St., Northwestern St., Southeastern Louisiana, ULL, ULM, UNO

Louisiana Tech has a much better claim to be considered the flagship than Monroe does.

13 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Good for Tim. Not sure what he sees in Mack at UNC but I wish him nothing but the best. Hate to lose him but that happens.

Let me take a stab at it for you. Tim Brewster is 58 years old. He's had a pretty successful career, and I'm guessing he's probably got a decent retirement nest egg. Now, he can go back to a lovely area of the country with little expectations, where I believe he already owns a home, and probably make bank for 3-4 more years without breaking a sweat.

Or he can stay in a complete shithole of a town, work for a miserable asshole with little man syndrome, deal with the most competitive recruiting landscape probably in the country currently and attempt to do his job while have to perpetually power blast lipstick onto the pig that is college station.

Listen, you can go work for a complete asshole in Haiti. I'd prefer to make similar money working for a lazy, golden years mack brown in picturesque chapel hill. 

Or let me try a visual aid:

Chapel-Hill-1.jpg

vs.

main_900.jpg?1524767980

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

IMO from an outside perspective, Tech should stick to its brand of high flying, air raid offense. That’s their main sell to recruits. Trying to rebrand themselves as a defense oriented program will take years and likely won’t work. 

Agreed in the Head coaching part of this.  Keep your Air Raid identity that took years to get, and hire a head coach that fits this.  But after you do that, HIRE A FUCKING DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR THAT IS WORTH A SHIT!!!!!

• Like 1

Congrats to the Boilermakers for holding on to Brohm. I didn't think it would happen but the athletic dept. at Louisville is kind of a mess right now and Purdue ponied up $5 Million per year to keep him in W. Lafayette. Now they could probably use some big splashy facilities upgrades to help with recruiting. This is great news for the B1G. 

Pretty impressive getting a raise to $5 Million when you needed to win your last regular season game just to become bowl eligible. The B1G West is going to be crazy unpredictable the next few years. 

13 hours ago, relapse98 said:

So is the perception here that Brewster is a good coach? My only impression of him is from when he was the head coach at Minnesota and he was an unmitigated disaster at that job. I really haven't followed his career since then. 

11 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Agreed in the Head coaching part of this.  Keep your Air Raid identity that took years to get, and hire a head coach that fits this.  But after you do that, HIRE A FUCKING DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR THAT IS WORTH A SHIT!!!!!

But if everyone else is doing a version of the air raid, maybe Tech should go the contrarian route again.  If the Big 12 defenses are all being built to stop a spread offense, wouldn't it be the ideal time to install an offense that would take advantage of this trend?

Just a thought.  The Tech offense has had some bad games lately because it seems like the defenses are now designed to stop it better.

But in the end I'm like Moby.  I want a defense.  I want to be able to stop somebody.

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

So is the perception here that Brewster is a good coach? My only impression of him is from when he was the head coach at Minnesota and he was an unmitigated disaster at that job. I really haven't followed his career since then. 

Good position coach, better recruiter imo

14 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Well Brown is a national championship winning coach, which was pretty much the only thing Fisher had to sell in College Station. I think this is pretty obvious.

Edited by Huckleberry

I think Tech needs to completely blow up their Air Raid identity. It's stale and nowadays that offense is not a mystery to defend. Even if you have a Patrick Mahomes you aren't scaring the top half of the conference. Tech should at least interview Lane Kiffen to get the media going nuts and double message board traffic. Besides, I think Kiffen could make Tech competitive. 

6 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

I think Tech needs to completely blow up their Air Raid identity. It's stale and nowadays that offense is not a mystery to defend. Even if you have a Patrick Mahomes you aren't scaring the top half of the conference. Tech should at least interview Lane Kiffen to get the media going nuts and double message board traffic. Besides, I think Kiffen could make Tech competitive. 

He can't even make FAU competitive. 

58 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

How is that weird? They are twice as big, have an endowment six times as large, and were established 33 years before Monroe. No, the weird part is the range of schools that are in the UL system: 

Grambling St., Louisiana Tech, McNeese St., Nicholls St., Northwestern St., Southeastern Louisiana, ULL, ULM, UNO

Louisiana Tech has a much better claim to be considered the flagship than Monroe does.

Oh, not in comparison to Monroe, just that a school with such a low national profile actually is the "University of Louisiana". It makes sense when you think about it and realize LSU is off in its own world.

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Poooooooor Louisville. Struck out on their Scott Frost. 

I think Satterfield gets the job, and I think it's a good hire, but the fan base might riot. They struck out in Brohm, and are screaming for Leach right now, who I think would light it up at Louisville. 

Someone (UL Fan) called in a bomb threat to Brohm’s old HS...  allegedly. 

52 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This year he took former Kansas, then Northeastern Oklahoma A&M, then A&M Jace Sternberger and did something with him. Its probably a combination of Tim and Jace, but Sternberger had had a decent year.

47 catches, 804 yards, average of 17.1 and 10 touchdowns. The yardage, average and touchdowns are all more than the 3 finalist for the Mackey Award.

6 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

This year he took former Kansas, then Northeastern Oklahoma A&M, then A&M Jace Sternberger and did something with him. Its probably a combination of Tim and Jace, but Sternberger had had a decent year.

47 catches, 804 yards, average of 17.1 and 10 touchdowns. The yardage, average and touchdowns are all more than the 3 finalist for the Mackey Award.

Seems pretty certain he's NFL bound.  That's going to hurt aggy next year more than losing Brewster or some recruits. 

Looks likely that both he and Williams are gone.  I don't have the exact numbers, but from what I've watched I'd bet that's about 75% of their offense this year. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

Some conspiracy-theory level ruminations on my part, given the state of the coaching carousel:

It is very weird to me that Seth Littrell has told Tech he won't interview for a job there.  Littrell played for Leach at OU and coached under Leach from 2005 to 2008. Who else was coaching at Tech during that time?  Lincoln Riley.

My speculation is that Riley has told Littrell not to interview for or look into other jobs, because Riley is planning on jumping to the NFL after this year.  And Littrell is the designated successor to Riley at OU.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't expect everyone to do their research on every subject - I don't. But what is reasonable as an expectation is that you do more than judge a guy who has been coaching for 36 years by his one small stint at the HC level. He's produced pro tight ends for multiple schools. He coached and helped develop Antonio Gates into a hall of famer at San Diego. He's been classified as an ace recruiter, with skins on the wall like Vince Young, Natrone Means, Alge Crumpler, Jameis Wintson, Marvin Wilson, and most of the current aggie class, for the last 25 years. If you're simply judging him by the 2-4 games you saw him coach at Minnesota against Ohio State, well, you're simply being another lazy, myopic, thoughtless, stereotypical Ohio State fan. So, I guess, carry on. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't expect everyone to do their research on every subject - I don't. But what is reasonable as an expectation is that you do more than judge a guy who has been coaching for 36 years by his one small stint at the HC level. He's produced pro tight ends for multiple schools. He coached and helped develop Antonio Gates into a hall of famer at San Diego. He's been classified as an ace recruiter, with skins on the wall like Vince Young, Natrone Means, Alge Crumpler, Jameis Wintson, Marvin Wilson, and most of the current aggie class, for the last 25 years. If you're simply judging him by the 2-4 games you saw him coach at Minnesota against Ohio State, well, you're simply being another lazy, myopic, thoughtless, stereotypical Ohio State fan. So, I guess, carry on. 

Do you think Antonio Gates would be a failure if not for Brewster's coaching? Newsflash: players make coaches more than coaches make players. Every coach claims the best players they've coached on their resume. 

I get it. He can recruit. 

25 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

And how many total blocks? 2 or 3? The Mackey Award is for functional TEs, not a WR who is instead labeled as a TE.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Do you think Antonio Gates would be a failure if not for Brewster's coaching? Newsflash: players make coaches more than coaches make players. Every coach claims the best players they've coached on their resume. 

I get it. He can recruit. 

Tell me something, numb nuts. What if I told you that Antonio Gates never played a down of college football? And you think his meteoric rise in the NFL despite never having played college football had nothing to do with the guy who coached his position for the first two years of his career? 

Your fucking degree is showing, you fucking moron.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Some conspiracy-theory level ruminations on my part, given the state of the coaching carousel:

It is very weird to me that Seth Littrell has told Tech he won't interview for a job there.  Littrell played for Leach at OU and coached under Leach from 2005 to 2008. Who else was coaching at Tech during that time?  Lincoln Riley.

My speculation is that Riley has told Littrell not to interview for or look into other jobs, because Riley is planning on jumping to the NFL after this year.  And Littrell is the designated successor to Riley at OU.

This is really the only plausible reason as to why Tech wouldnt get a brinks truck out for Littrell

I have not seen any report stating that Littrell told Tech he wouldn't interview or isn't interested.  Where did you see that?

f89ab495b74b7e4981f243dc484f24e2275d733c

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

I have not seen any report stating that Littrell told Tech he wouldn't interview or isn't interested.  Where did you see that?

http://footballscoop.com/news/hearing-texas-tech-head-coaching-search/

This is the most recent thing I've seen that indicates there was interest on one side but not the other.