CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me take a stab at it for you. Tim Brewster is 58 years old. He's had a pretty successful career, and I'm guessing he's probably got a decent retirement nest egg. Now, he can go back to a lovely area of the country with little expectations, where I believe he already owns a home, and probably make bank for 3-4 more years without breaking a sweat.

Or he can stay in a complete shithole of a town, work for a miserable asshole with little man syndrome, deal with the most competitive recruiting landscape probably in the country currently and attempt to do his job while have to perpetually power blast lipstick onto the pig that is college station.

Listen, you can go work for a complete asshole in Haiti. I'd prefer to make similar money working for a lazy, golden years mack brown in picturesque chapel hill. 

Or let me try a visual aid:

Chapel-Hill-1.jpg

vs.

main_900.jpg?1524767980

What is the name of the gulag in that second picture?

• Like 1

The latest, per my sources...

School Out Why? In
Bowling Green Mike Jinks Fired Scot Loeffler
Central Michigan John Bonamego Fired  
Charlotte Brad Lambert Fired  
Colorado Mike MacIntyre Fired  
East Carolina Scottie Montgomery Fired  
Georgia Tech Paul Johnson Retired  
Kansas David Beaty Fired Les Miles
Louisville Bobby Petrino Fired  
Maryland DJ Durkin Fired  
Massachusetts Mark Whipple Fired  
North Carolina Larry Fedora Fired Mack Brown
Texas State Everett Withers Fired Jake Spavital
Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury Fired  
Edited by TrashMaster G

4 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Reports/rumors that Tech has cancelled its interviews with Holgerson and Littrel  that were scheduled today.  What a shitty day to be a Tech football fan.  There may not be many left after this.

I should've been an athletic director.  Apparently it's in the same category as weatherman.  You don't have to be competent to do it.

5 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Reports/rumors that Tech has cancelled its interviews with Holgerson and Littrel  that were scheduled today.  What a shitty day to be a Tech football fan.  There may not be many left after this.

Wait... WVU's Holgo???  No way he was considering leaving WVU for Tech.  Not when he finally got them into top 10 territory.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So is the perception here that Brewster is a good coach? My only impression of him is from when he was the head coach at Minnesota and he was an unmitigated disaster at that job. I really haven't followed his career since then. 

The list of guys who are great assistant coaches but terrible head coaches is very long.

Those are two extremely different jobs.

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

Wait... WVU's Holgo???  No way he was considering leaving WVU for Tech.  Not when he finally got them into top 10 territory.

The only reason WVU sniffed the top 10 is because of a mercenary QB. Tech isn't that much more attractive but it is in the state of Texas. He can step outside his office in Lubbock and is within a couple of hours of really good high school talent. They've had one 10 win season since joining the Big 12.

Mack Brown hired Greg Robinson as his DC and I actually think it could work out. Greg Robinson is total garbage... except in the presence of Mack Brown.

Gerg... your unbelievable work in 2013 is not forgotten. If we'd had anything resembling an offense we would've easily won the conference that year. I'm sure it's happened before but I've never seen a midseason turnaround as dramatic as what Gerg did after Manny was ousted. Defense went from being so bad to so good they held Mariota and Oregon in their offensive heyday to ONE TD (and three FGs). Case McCoy threw twice as many Oregon TD passes as Mariota did...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Do you think Antonio Gates would be a failure if not for Brewster's coaching? Newsflash: players make coaches more than coaches make players. Every coach claims the best players they've coached on their resume. 

I get it. He can recruit. 

Thank you for finishing the process of showing everyone on this board how little you know outside of your myopic bubble in that shithole of a state in which I presume you still reside. You couldn't be more wrong in your assumption of the impact Brewster had on Gates, per Gates' own words in numerous stories and articles over the years. Coaches who consistently produce NFL talent, especially at different stops along the way, or who mold NFL talent into path for the HOF, aren't doing it off of luck. Coaching matters. You know that, which is why you and your piece of shit school sold your souls very recently to keep yours. You don't get to behave in that manner and then turn around and disclaim the premise elsewhere.

My only question from here is whether or not you're going to continue to pull the bookshelf on top of yourself in this discussion, or if you'll have enough personal pride as a poster to understand when you've made a fool of yourself and slink off. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

They've had one 10 win season since joining the Big 12.

They being WVU or TT? I think they've both only had 1 10 win season since joining the Big 12 and TT has been in the conference a whole lot longer.
(Edit: And I'll go ahead and get it out of the way, same number of 10 win seasons as A&M had in the Big 12, also).

Edited by relapse98

2 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

They being WVU or TT? I think they've both only had 1 10 win season since joining the Big 12 and TT has been in the conference a whole lot longer.
(Edit: And I'll go ahead and get it out of the way, same number of 10 win seasons as A&M had in the Big 12, also).

WVU

WVU is a mercenary school that depends on transfers, that can take a tole on you as a coach with that kind of uncertainty over and over again. Tech and WVU aren't that different in terms of their success in the conference, I just believe at Tech it is easier to achieve that success than it is at WVU.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tell me something, numb nuts. What if I told you that Antonio Gates never played a down of college football? And you think his meteoric rise in the NFL despite never having played college football had nothing to do with the guy who coached his position for the first two years of his career? 

Your fucking degree is showing, you fucking moron.

Clearly Brewster is responsible for all the recent success at A&M. Now tell me about Mark Snyder's glowing resume. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Clearly Brewster is responsible for all the recent success at A&M. Now tell me about Mark Snyder's glowing resume. 

Way to completely fail to address the point I succesfully made in any manner and deflect entirely. Youre a worthless poster. Just admit you didnt know shit about Gates and the fact that he went from 3rd string to 1st string TE in his rookie year, and following it up in year 2 with damn near 1k yards might have something to do with the guy who coached him at a position and a sport he hadnt played since HS. 

And thanks for identifying yourself as the classic Ohio nimrod who doesnt know shit. 

14 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

WVU

WVU is a mercenary school that depends on transfers, that can take a tole on you as a coach with that kind of uncertainty over and over again. Tech and WVU aren't that different in terms of their success in the conference, I just believe at Tech it is easier to achieve that success than it is at WVU.

WVU wants to win more than 8 games regularly and believes they can and should and they should have a coach with the same goals

Tech thinks 8 wins means you are an elite coach and should be paid in the top 15 of all coaches and worshipped

not sure which one is easier to win at, but it is clear which one is easier to coach at

Kirby better be ready to accept his Bum Steer Award.  What a fucking joke.  i hope Tech fans revolt and go full on Tennessee.

For those Tech fans wanting to send in your opinions on his handling of this:  

Employee Information

Name: Hocutt,Kirby
Job Title: Director Athletics
Department: Athletic Director
Mail Stop: M S 3021
City, State Zip: Lubbock, TX 79409
Phone Number: (806) 742-2831
Email Address: kirby.hocutt@ttu.edu

• Haha 1

Holgar was the "safe" hire that would have cost a ton and probably would have been needed to let go in 3 or 4 years

he is not exactly lighting it up at WVU he has been ranked 1 time in seven seasons there

it is pretty clear that some "Tech fans" want a safe coach that will win 7 games or sometimes 8 games and do stupid shit off the field for people to rally around, but Kirby clearly wants a bit more and is willing to take a risk

what is the "selling point" of Holgerson to Tech......well yea 7 years here at WVU has been "rocky" and "I could use a change of pace" and "new beginnings"

I realize again with the cult of mike coaching stump connections he checks the one box for some "Tech fans", but his shit is pretty stale and he could just as easily come in and  be worthless and a waste of 3 or 4 years

part of "Tech being Tech" is not being willing to take a risk or try something else

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

Kirby better be ready to accept his Bum Steer Award.  What a fucking joke.  i hope Tech fans revolt and go full on Tennessee.

For those Tech fans wanting to send in your opinions on his handling of this:  

Employee Information

Name: Hocutt,Kirby
Job Title: Director Athletics
Department: Athletic Director
Mail Stop: M S 3021
City, State Zip: Lubbock, TX 79409
Phone Number: (806) 742-2831
Email Address: kirby.hocutt@ttu.edu

Yeah Tech Fans should pull the old "RockyTop Revolt"

3 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Holgar was the "safe" hire that would have cost a ton and probably would have been needed to let go in 3 or 4 years

he is not exactly lighting it up at WVU he has been ranked 1 time in seven seasons there

it is pretty clear that some "Tech fans" want a safe coach that will win 7 games or sometimes 8 games and do stupid shit off the field for people to rally around, but Kirby clearly wants a bit more and is willing to take a risk

what is the "selling point" of Holgerson to Tech......well yea 7 years here at WVU has been "rocky" and "I could use a change of pace" and "new beginnings"

I realize again with the cult of mike coaching stump connections he checks the one box for some "Tech fans", but his shit is pretty stale and he could just as easily come in and  be worthless and a waste of 3 or 4 years

part of "Tech being Tech" is not being willing to take a risk or try something else

I actually understand not pursuing Dana.  My problem is that Kirby is apparently not looking at more successful head coaches from the G5 ranks:  The coaches at UAB and Memphis come to mind.  Both of them have much better records than Wells.  I just don't get it.

Edited by Uncle Nate

4 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Yeah, taking a chance on a guy who was about to be fired at Utah State a year ago is the right move. You're definitely basing your take on performance between a guy who has had moderate success in the Big 12 including a 10 win season versus a guy who has had as many losing seasons as winning ones in the Mountain West.

I don't normally agree with slorch but you're starting to get pretty obvious. Also, try to include more "quotation marks" in your next "post" if you could, "thank you" in advance.

Edited by Huckleberry

21 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Is someone paying you by the quotes?

• Haha 1